Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Who's been eating my Brug?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2004
5:28 PM

Post #966251

There are large droppings, as if a caterpillar has been at work, but I see none. I did see this mud thing (nest?) It is a little more than 1/4" across and a little deeper, with a very small opening into it. Any ideas what is living in here?

Thumbnail by PotEmUp
Click the image for an enlarged view.

judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2004
6:55 PM

Post #966321

It looks like a wasp nest. Maybe the wasp got the caterpillar that was eating your brugs?

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2004
7:47 PM

Post #966367

Thanks, that is sort of what I thought. This encouraged me to do more searching and I think I found that it is from a Potter Wasp http://www.naturalsciences.org/funstuff/notebook/inverts/potter_wasp.html
This also explains why I didn't find the caterpillar. I think I like this wasp.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2004
6:51 AM

Post #968220

We have them here like that. I have seen one actually build a 'pot nest' like that. Very interesting. You may find a little insect or two inside.
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2004
10:11 AM

Post #968252

Here is a similar wasp nest, built in Australia, by the Mud-dauber Wasp - Sceliphron formosum. We were doing revegetation work in Morwell National Park and found these wasp nests on a stick supporting a tree-guard in the park. There were 6 or 7 of them, some still closed, so presumably with a wasp larva inside. This one was wide open and the wasp was flown.

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2004
1:00 PM

Post #968366

I had one of the little round thingys on a window pane. The next day there were two, now I have three. I can see into the bottom of one, looking through the glass, and it looks like larva of some kind. I thought they might be Wasps because we have so many that build nests around here.
Pati

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2004
3:03 PM

Post #968548

Kennedyh, that nest is less rounded than what I have. Mine also has an opening much smaller, relatively. Apparently the Delta campaniforme is also found in your neck of the woods. Mine http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_wasps/MudDauber.htm and a relative of yours http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_wasps/Palmdart.htm
Both are very similar looking, but the nests are very distinctive.
Dinu helps to show how universally adaptable these creatures are. They colonized the world, much quicker than we mere humans.
Patischell, I concur with your technical term, but I think it is spelled thingies. ;-}
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #968570

Thanks POT, I was never any good at spelling all those technical terms.LOL
Pati

P.S. My thingies are sort of lop-sided

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America