Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: What is this bug?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 111
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2004
10:01 PM

Post #967592

Found this guy in my kitchen floor at night! Eek! When I picked him up to put him outside, he clicked and I could hear it and feel it through the paper towel.

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2004
10:02 PM

Post #967594

It is known as a click bug. That is all I know.
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2004
11:05 PM

Post #967664

It is a Click Beetle, from the family Elateridae. These beetles have a mechanism at the joint between the thorax and abdomen, that snaps the joint sharply, making a click, and firing the beetle off the ground. If you hold the beetle between finger and thumb, you will feel it click and it may well succeed in escaping from your grasp. Here is a species very similar to yours, from the genus Conoderus. This one I found in Morwell National Park, here in Australia.

Thumbnail by kennedyh

CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2004
12:20 AM

Post #967749

Thanks! I just looked it up, the larvae feed on plants root so I hope we don't have a lot of them.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2004
12:42 AM

Post #967770

Here's another one from right here in Maryland. Thay are really quite harmless. I posted this photo last summer.

Thumbnail by raisedbedbob

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #968586

We have a similar bug here called a "fire bug" that has two "headlights" that light up like lightening bugs when they are disturbed. Their eggs glow in the dark and the larvae and adults eat aphids. They also "click" when touched.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2004
12:52 AM

Post #969366

Can you get a picture? LOL! Also, can you catch me a bunch? I'll gladly pay the postage for an aphid eater that glows in the dark!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2004
1:35 AM

Post #969419

I can see a thriving business in these glow in the dark aphid killers... better than ladybugs. We have click beetles here in the desert too. The kids like to tip them over to watch them 'click' themselves right side up. tee heee
shazbot3
Flat Rock, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2004
1:55 AM

Post #969436

Yeah, Calalily. I'll take a gross of those, as well! This place is aphid city! Plus, the kids could really get a science lesson from those things!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America