Musa AE AE

Byhalia, MS(Zone 8a)

Anyone have this wonderful nana? I know it would be way too much to hope for a start of this expensive plant but I was just curious if anyone has given it a try and what kind of success they were finding with it. I am thinking of purchasing a pup (expensive as all get out) from a supplier online but wanted to see if there were any pitfalls I needed to watch for with this var. Thanks.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

fivelabs....it burns in full sun,grows very tall and lanky,and is very suseptible to pests.Teras easily in the wind..better as a greenhouse plant.Even the nanas are striped!

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Byhalia, MS(Zone 8a)

Good lookin juvie you got there Eclipse. I plan to put it in the greenhouse so will have to look into the disease/pest thing in my area. Thanks for the insight.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

BUT, it is beautiful even if it would set you (not me) back a couple hundred bucks! LOL

Byhalia, MS(Zone 8a)

Yeah, I know, I have found pups as low as $100 but just know if I wait a year or so they will be on Ebay for 9.99 lol. Only reason they are so high right now is that they have been made available to us common folk for the first time this year. Was exclusive cultivar to the royal family in Hawaii up to this year. I cant help myself but to want one. I wonder if they throw pups with as much gusto as other Musa's?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I read that they are so expensive because they are difficult to propagate, even with tissue culture. I also read that the ph is critical for this banana. It is truly a beautiful nanner.
Cindy

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't have it, heard they are a little touchy to grow .... thought of getting one ....

but now I've got a way cool basjoo that decided to be variegated. It's gown nicely since this pic and continues to be variegated with every new leaf :)

it's not as "white" in it's variegation as the ae ae but ... it was a tc for like $2.00.

If you get an ae ae let us know how it does for you.

Thumbnail by jody
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Difficulty of propagation is the reason for the price. They've been available in the market for 2 and maybe even 3 years.

Agristarts I, has been trying this in the labs for nearly 3 years, with horrible results The variegation is all over the place, and they can't get any consistancy. Randy won't give up on it though.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Nice Basjoo Jody!!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I got one last year from a dear friend, but I killed it. I know of two other people that have had trouble growing this plant. They say most people kill the first two, but the third one is a charm!

Byhalia, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Buried - I really wish people would not post to a website unless they knew what they was talking about. I read on two pretty large musa sights about the royal family thing but know from your other posts and just seeing you around on here that you definately know your trops. Sorry all for the one year only info - was just passin on what I had read on sites that should know.

Have you grown any of these BT? Attempted any propagation? Would love to hear about your experiences since its obvious you know this Musa well.

Actually - has ANYONE propagated this at all? Would love to hear about it. If I get one I definately want to propagate so I have a good chance of keeping at least one going.

My friend has one, she said it's put out one pup in three years but she was afraid to take the pup off. I read that when AeAe is TC'ed, it comes out all white or all green most of the time. We know the all white ones won't live and who wants to pay a hundred bucks for a green one?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We have two clumps of this banana...growing in full sun and they really are easy to grow...here. To get a pup off the Mother Stalk you really have to kill the Mother Stalk because it grows so tightly next to it. If you wait until the Mother dies back after producing, the pup is HUGE. I tried twice to send a pup to a friend and they didn't life. Then I found a TC'd one at the market and sent it on...I know it living for a year but lost track of her so I don't know if it is growing still.

It was the banana reserved for the Hawaiian Royalty...

Our soil is slightly acid and we fertilize the bananas with 10-5-40...and let the stalks/leaves rot in place at the roots of the living bananas for nourishment. Hard to do in a small garden!

Carol

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Fivelabs,

I haven't tried any my self, but have kept up with it through the labs. My expensive plant indulgence for now is Amorphophallus. I purchased an A. titanum earlier this year, that was about the size of a raisin, and nearly as expensive as the Ae Ae. In just 10 short years, I hope to have a very large, smelly flower.

Cala's 100% correct. Very few coming from TC, will have the variegation that's desired. Most of them are green or white. I doubt that will keep them from continuing to try, but at the 3 year mark, they should be seeing some progress, and aren't.

Even if they were to figure it out tomorrow, it's another 2-3 years before they have the numbers to make them available to commercial growers, and add another year of production for a 3 gallon. I don't think you're going to see the price drop on these any time soon.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Fivelabs, these have been available in Calif for more than 8 years.They sold at the nurseries for $75.00 for a 25 gal pot.7 ft tall.Mine died.it is a rather touchy grower.Our big plant had about 20 pups...but since they only activate 1 per cycle, we could'nt get many to grow.Stuttgart cannas are just as pretty and cheaper. LOL

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hey that one I have!! A Stuttgart that is... ;)

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Kyle.. I was thinking that your nanner reminded me of Stuttgart when I first looked at it... imagine my surprise as I continued to read the thread and found you posted a pic of the canna... Yes.. much cheaper and lots easier!

I just got Stuttgart. I thought it was an AeAe when I first saw it.
MzM, I too thought Eclipse's picture was the nana.

Knoxville, TN

I just may be one of the "friends" Calla is referring. Carol sent me 3 AeAe nanas and I killed the first 2...and they were long, painful deaths. The third one she sent was propagated from tissue culture and other than an attack of spider mites last summer, It has grown by leaps and bounds. (Calla kept trying to steal it every time she visited my house)
I started fertilizing with miracid and once I used that routine, the plant has been happy. It is now 12' tall and I have no clue how I am going to overwinter it this year.
If you guys bight the bullet and buy one, make sure it is tissue culture rather than a pup AND be prepared to house a really large plant!
Calla, you better bring the horse trailor if you hope to steal it now!

Howdy Mel! Didn't know you were here! I can't believe your baby has grown so much! My friend here has a pup on hers that I've been threatening to steal(she won't let me in the garden alone for some reason), but if I came up there and got that 12 footer..........BTW, Stuttgart is doing fine.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Glad to know it is thriving, Mel!

One of mine is from a pup cut from the mother...and it was nip and tuck for a long time...the pup was 6' tall when we cut it! I have a feeling that when they are TC'd you don't run the risk of transplanting them so large...or cutting them too young for the smaller size to ship.

Carol

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I had one of these from Hawaii about four years ago. It came complete with a worm in the shaft which ate its way down into the corm before I discovered it. The last leaf came out looking like swiss cheese and the corm rotted. I was so upset that my beautiful, insanely expensive plant was so suddenly dead that I didn't replace it and took a year long break from bananas. Since then I've learned to inspect everything that comes and quarantine for safety. In retrospect I should have contacted the nursery I got it from, but now I'm unable to find the purchase information.
Anyway got any leads on a good source? Or any they want to try trading (I've got things like variegated monsteras and amorphophallus varieties -no, not titanum like buriedtreasures'). :)

(Zone 10b)

Kyle, what do you mean by "but since they only activate 1 per cycle..." Does that mean that the only one grows in the mother's place and the others eventually die or should be cut off? Thanks.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is my 2cents.
This particular banana does not like as much water as the rest. If you keep it in a pot of any sort, it should have bigger than normal drainage, and more drainable soil than normal. Key is dry by the end of the day, does not like wet feet. This is my experience, and others may have different experience..but they rot from the inside out, and it will trick you into think it's fine..at the top while it's dying at the stock. Drain Drain Drain...can't say it enough.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Meltn, nice to know about the Miracid...I wonder if I use my Azalea fertilzer (acidic) probaby have the same luck..

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Since it appears to like a drier climate, would the ae ae make a good tropical house plant vs. outside?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry, I'm not saying it likes a dryer climate. It likes humid air, but well drained area's. Most folks keep it in plastic pots, where it does not dry out appropriately. I had mine in a location that did not drain as well, and it was suffering for it. Moved it adjacent 3 feet, to a special bed I had built for it last year that was specifically designed for super drainage, and that was based on my other experiences with bananas here in this particular location..I say this because we have gumbo soil here so other places might have something different to work with.

Abbeville, LA

Ae AE s are no more difficult than ANY other banana EXCEPT it must have shade!!!!I sell 2 to 4 foot pups for 100 dollars plus shippng. I have 4 left.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is the picture of the small bed I built. This summer I decided to put it in the bed behind it, but it did not approve. It didn't like to be too moist for too long. This particular mini bed drys out completely at the days end, and it seems to like it. Same expereince with a friends Ae down the street. His Ae started looking poorly, and I told him about my experience with the water, so he changed the watering habit, letting it dry out completely every day. The banana recovered and is producing it's second pup.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL..exactly. I tell you, the most successful banana bunches I have are located in areas I don't do anything to them including watering. In fact, the less I do, the more they like it, which is completely contrary to stuff I read.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The reason why I tried it in the other bed was because this 3 feet was the difference between burning and not...but I'll take burning over rotting..what's a gardener to do.!?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Where did you get yours, RJ? It sure brightens your landscape. I hope it continues to do great for you!

I wonder that since they are tissue culturing them, why are they so hard to find and so expensive??

Did you all see Mels? RJ yours is well on it sway. Such a beautiful sight! This is what true delight is about! When I first saw this picture, I gasped. I know Mel well. I was so jealous. Instantly! Since, the sweetheart she is, she has given this plant to a friend who is sick. It still is causing sheer delight!

Stolen from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2660989

Thumbnail by Kell
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I saw that one...it is beautiful.

I got mine from Hawaii too.

I got mine there too and it dropped dead soon after. LOL Fair to say it hated me. You are a lucky man, Rj!

Here is another sight that lights up our life.

Thumbnail by Kell
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Kell -- that's a beautiful tree! Looks like a huge heart with the blooms. What is it?

It is the best one I have ever seen. I visit every year! It thrills me.

Corymbia ficifolia - - Red Gum tree

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

that is pretty!

Re the Ae, I took Carols advice and put wood ash on mine, and it loved it..yes..ashes from my fire pit.. what can I say..it loved ,...now I'm looking for some ashes as I'm out ...lol

I wonder if that need is from being in volcano country?

What will you do in winter Rj? You get frost, right?

I love BOLD! That red gum invokes the same feeling as looking at a huge AeAe. I just love them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I left the AE out until December, then bundled it up and put it in the green house.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I was reading w/ interest how some of you opted for Stuttgart canna which has foliage as beautiful as ae ae banana.

Well, I failed miserably trying to grow stuttgard and also trying to grow var. heliconia. simply can't do it, kill them all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.