Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Musa AE AE

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 228, Views: 2,343
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fivelabs
Byhalia, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2004
3:05 AM

Post #984570

Anyone have this wonderful nana? I know it would be way too much to hope for a start of this expensive plant but I was just curious if anyone has given it a try and what kind of success they were finding with it. I am thinking of purchasing a pup (expensive as all get out) from a supplier online but wanted to see if there were any pitfalls I needed to watch for with this var. Thanks.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2004
3:52 AM

Post #984669

fivelabs...it burns in full sun,grows very tall and lanky,and is very suseptible to pests.Teras easily in the wind..better as a greenhouse plant.Even the nanas are striped!

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

fivelabs
Byhalia, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2004
3:54 AM

Post #984676

Good lookin juvie you got there Eclipse. I plan to put it in the greenhouse so will have to look into the disease/pest thing in my area. Thanks for the insight.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2004
4:02 AM

Post #984689

BUT, it is beautiful even if it would set you (not me) back a couple hundred bucks! LOL
fivelabs
Byhalia, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2004
4:07 AM

Post #984696

Yeah, I know, I have found pups as low as $100 but just know if I wait a year or so they will be on Ebay for 9.99 lol. Only reason they are so high right now is that they have been made available to us common folk for the first time this year. Was exclusive cultivar to the royal family in Hawaii up to this year. I cant help myself but to want one. I wonder if they throw pups with as much gusto as other Musa's?

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2004
4:56 AM

Post #984772

I read that they are so expensive because they are difficult to propagate, even with tissue culture. I also read that the ph is critical for this banana. It is truly a beautiful nanner.
Cindy
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2004
12:42 PM

Post #985058

I don't have it, heard they are a little touchy to grow ... thought of getting one ...

but now I've got a way cool basjoo that decided to be variegated. It's gown nicely since this pic and continues to be variegated with every new leaf :)

it's not as "white" in it's variegation as the ae ae but ... it was a tc for like $2.00.

If you get an ae ae let us know how it does for you.

Thumbnail by jody

BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2004
2:35 PM

Post #985269

Difficulty of propagation is the reason for the price. They've been available in the market for 2 and maybe even 3 years.

Agristarts I, has been trying this in the labs for nearly 3 years, with horrible results The variegation is all over the place, and they can't get any consistancy. Randy won't give up on it though.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2004
3:47 PM

Post #985356

Nice Basjoo Jody!!!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2004
3:50 PM

Post #985362

I got one last year from a dear friend, but I killed it. I know of two other people that have had trouble growing this plant. They say most people kill the first two, but the third one is a charm!
fivelabs
Byhalia, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2004
4:54 PM

Post #985483

Thanks for the info Buried - I really wish people would not post to a website unless they knew what they was talking about. I read on two pretty large musa sights about the royal family thing but know from your other posts and just seeing you around on here that you definately know your trops. Sorry all for the one year only info - was just passin on what I had read on sites that should know.

Have you grown any of these BT? Attempted any propagation? Would love to hear about your experiences since its obvious you know this Musa well.

Actually - has ANYONE propagated this at all? Would love to hear about it. If I get one I definately want to propagate so I have a good chance of keeping at least one going.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2004
6:05 PM

Post #985584

My friend has one, she said it's put out one pup in three years but she was afraid to take the pup off. I read that when AeAe is TC'ed, it comes out all white or all green most of the time. We know the all white ones won't live and who wants to pay a hundred bucks for a green one?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2004
6:15 PM

Post #985601

We have two clumps of this banana...growing in full sun and they really are easy to grow...here. To get a pup off the Mother Stalk you really have to kill the Mother Stalk because it grows so tightly next to it. If you wait until the Mother dies back after producing, the pup is HUGE. I tried twice to send a pup to a friend and they didn't life. Then I found a TC'd one at the market and sent it on...I know it living for a year but lost track of her so I don't know if it is growing still.

It was the banana reserved for the Hawaiian Royalty...

Our soil is slightly acid and we fertilize the bananas with 10-5-40...and let the stalks/leaves rot in place at the roots of the living bananas for nourishment. Hard to do in a small garden!

Carol
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2004
6:24 PM

Post #985613

Fivelabs,

I haven't tried any my self, but have kept up with it through the labs. My expensive plant indulgence for now is Amorphophallus. I purchased an A. titanum earlier this year, that was about the size of a raisin, and nearly as expensive as the Ae Ae. In just 10 short years, I hope to have a very large, smelly flower.

Cala's 100% correct. Very few coming from TC, will have the variegation that's desired. Most of them are green or white. I doubt that will keep them from continuing to try, but at the 3 year mark, they should be seeing some progress, and aren't.

Even if they were to figure it out tomorrow, it's another 2-3 years before they have the numbers to make them available to commercial growers, and add another year of production for a 3 gallon. I don't think you're going to see the price drop on these any time soon.
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2004
9:10 PM

Post #985877

Fivelabs, these have been available in Calif for more than 8 years.They sold at the nurseries for $75.00 for a 25 gal pot.7 ft tall.Mine died.it is a rather touchy grower.Our big plant had about 20 pups...but since they only activate 1 per cycle, we could'nt get many to grow.Stuttgart cannas are just as pretty and cheaper. LOL

Thumbnail by Eclipse

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 4, 2004
9:14 PM

Post #985878

Hey that one I have!! A Stuttgart that is... ;)
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

August 5, 2004
1:43 AM

Post #986321

Kyle.. I was thinking that your nanner reminded me of Stuttgart when I first looked at it... imagine my surprise as I continued to read the thread and found you posted a pic of the canna... Yes.. much cheaper and lots easier!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2004
2:35 AM

Post #986433

I just got Stuttgart. I thought it was an AeAe when I first saw it.
MzM, I too thought Eclipse's picture was the nana.
meltn
Knoxville, TN

August 5, 2004
11:24 AM

Post #986763

I just may be one of the "friends" Calla is referring. Carol sent me 3 AeAe nanas and I killed the first 2...and they were long, painful deaths. The third one she sent was propagated from tissue culture and other than an attack of spider mites last summer, It has grown by leaps and bounds. (Calla kept trying to steal it every time she visited my house)
I started fertilizing with miracid and once I used that routine, the plant has been happy. It is now 12' tall and I have no clue how I am going to overwinter it this year.
If you guys bight the bullet and buy one, make sure it is tissue culture rather than a pup AND be prepared to house a really large plant!
Calla, you better bring the horse trailor if you hope to steal it now!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2004
12:05 PM

Post #986890

Howdy Mel! Didn't know you were here! I can't believe your baby has grown so much! My friend here has a pup on hers that I've been threatening to steal(she won't let me in the garden alone for some reason), but if I came up there and got that 12 footer...BTW, Stuttgart is doing fine.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 5, 2004
7:19 PM

Post #987639

Glad to know it is thriving, Mel!

One of mine is from a pup cut from the mother...and it was nip and tuck for a long time...the pup was 6' tall when we cut it! I have a feeling that when they are TC'd you don't run the risk of transplanting them so large...or cutting them too young for the smaller size to ship.

Carol
tropicalaria
Tri-Cities, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2004
8:20 AM

Post #988568

I had one of these from Hawaii about four years ago. It came complete with a worm in the shaft which ate its way down into the corm before I discovered it. The last leaf came out looking like swiss cheese and the corm rotted. I was so upset that my beautiful, insanely expensive plant was so suddenly dead that I didn't replace it and took a year long break from bananas. Since then I've learned to inspect everything that comes and quarantine for safety. In retrospect I should have contacted the nursery I got it from, but now I'm unable to find the purchase information.
Anyway got any leads on a good source? Or any they want to try trading (I've got things like variegated monsteras and amorphophallus varieties -no, not titanum like buriedtreasures'). :)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 2, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #6898084

Kyle, what do you mean by "but since they only activate 1 per cycle..." Does that mean that the only one grows in the mother's place and the others eventually die or should be cut off? Thanks.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6898434

Here is my 2cents.
This particular banana does not like as much water as the rest. If you keep it in a pot of any sort, it should have bigger than normal drainage, and more drainable soil than normal. Key is dry by the end of the day, does not like wet feet. This is my experience, and others may have different experience..but they rot from the inside out, and it will trick you into think it's fine..at the top while it's dying at the stock. Drain Drain Drain...can't say it enough.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6898495

Meltn, nice to know about the Miracid...I wonder if I use my Azalea fertilzer (acidic) probaby have the same luck..
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6898579

Since it appears to like a drier climate, would the ae ae make a good tropical house plant vs. outside?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6898599

Sorry, I'm not saying it likes a dryer climate. It likes humid air, but well drained area's. Most folks keep it in plastic pots, where it does not dry out appropriately. I had mine in a location that did not drain as well, and it was suffering for it. Moved it adjacent 3 feet, to a special bed I had built for it last year that was specifically designed for super drainage, and that was based on my other experiences with bananas here in this particular location..I say this because we have gumbo soil here so other places might have something different to work with.
don8t1
Abbeville, LA

August 2, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6898621

Ae AE s are no more difficult than ANY other banana EXCEPT it must have shade!!!!I sell 2 to 4 foot pups for 100 dollars plus shippng. I have 4 left.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6898625

This is the picture of the small bed I built. This summer I decided to put it in the bed behind it, but it did not approve. It didn't like to be too moist for too long. This particular mini bed drys out completely at the days end, and it seems to like it. Same expereince with a friends Ae down the street. His Ae started looking poorly, and I told him about my experience with the water, so he changed the watering habit, letting it dry out completely every day. The banana recovered and is producing it's second pup.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6898632

LOL..exactly. I tell you, the most successful banana bunches I have are located in areas I don't do anything to them including watering. In fact, the less I do, the more they like it, which is completely contrary to stuff I read.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6898639

The reason why I tried it in the other bed was because this 3 feet was the difference between burning and not...but I'll take burning over rotting..what's a gardener to do.!?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6898705

Where did you get yours, RJ? It sure brightens your landscape. I hope it continues to do great for you!

I wonder that since they are tissue culturing them, why are they so hard to find and so expensive??

Did you all see Mels? RJ yours is well on it sway. Such a beautiful sight! This is what true delight is about! When I first saw this picture, I gasped. I know Mel well. I was so jealous. Instantly! Since, the sweetheart she is, she has given this plant to a friend who is sick. It still is causing sheer delight!

Stolen from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2660989

Thumbnail by Kell

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6898715

Yes, I saw that one...it is beautiful.

I got mine from Hawaii too.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6898742

I got mine there too and it dropped dead soon after. LOL Fair to say it hated me. You are a lucky man, Rj!

Here is another sight that lights up our life.

Thumbnail by Kell

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6898748

Kell -- that's a beautiful tree! Looks like a huge heart with the blooms. What is it?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6898786

It is the best one I have ever seen. I visit every year! It thrills me.

Corymbia ficifolia - - Red Gum tree
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6898825

that is pretty!

Re the Ae, I took Carols advice and put wood ash on mine, and it loved it..yes..ashes from my fire pit.. what can I say..it loved ,...now I'm looking for some ashes as I'm out ...lol

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6898883

I wonder if that need is from being in volcano country?

What will you do in winter Rj? You get frost, right?

I love BOLD! That red gum invokes the same feeling as looking at a huge AeAe. I just love them.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6898963

I left the AE out until December, then bundled it up and put it in the green house.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6899215

I was reading w/ interest how some of you opted for Stuttgart canna which has foliage as beautiful as ae ae banana.

Well, I failed miserably trying to grow stuttgard and also trying to grow var. heliconia. simply can't do it, kill them all.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6899226

I didn't know there was var heliconia
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6899255

they are pricey too. I bought 3 from 3 diff. sources, including a guy from Thailand. I have definitely given up on these. I also had a regular green heliconia and killed that one too but I didn't care about that one.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 2, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #6899284

Kell, I was reading about tissue culture, and apparently, you can't get a variegated one that way. They all end up either all green or all white.

I'll definitely watch the water. Mine will stay in a container since the only shade I have is near or against the house. I wonder if it can be acclimated to full sun. The sun isn't that scorching here. I planted the variegated rubber tree outside, and those leaves became acclimated. I wouldn't mind planting it with these other bananas below.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 2, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6899293

Look what popped out of my avocado tree! I was amazed to see this. I was tempted to try and graft it to a root stock, but the variegation eventually reverted back.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6899296

that is totally awesome
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6899359

that is cool.

This is Waynes..all of those tree branches above...he had them removed..so it's hot and sunny. The plastic is also removed from the cold frame on the sides.

popper1
Mulberry, FL

August 3, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6899372

That Corymbia is awesome! I have been jealous that those will not grow in our summer rain & humidity areas. I am grafting onto a more tropical Eucalyptus to see if I can get it to grow here in Florida. The flowering is amazing!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6899374

wowzers, how long has he had that plant? looks great. I would think the greenhouse would get too steamy hot but obviously it likes living there
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6899392

Yeah it likes hot..doesn't care for cold at all, and that's when watering really must be watched. I didn't water mine in the green house last winter, except for little snippets..and it was fine

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6899744

You guys have been so busy while poor me has been outside putting up my coleus shelving. I am only 4 months late. I am getting to old for this. I really am.

Thanks for that info, Clare. So sad for that means no variegated bananas groves in my future. However, Mel said her variegated AeAe was from tissue culture so maybe some come out OK?

Too bad your avocado reverted to green. i was at a nursery the other day and they had a so cool variegated fig - - below. I just grab anything variegated.

Rj, your friends AeAe is too cool too. Mel used to put hers in the GH every winter and it did did fine. I think she made it go dormant.

Nery, I bet Rj has already looked up var. heliconia.. LOL. And has big plans for one. I got a green one to live 2 years now but it is miserable due to be still being in a gallon can. I abuse so many plants. Some day I will be arrested. I heard recently some group wants to give trees legal standing. I will be in such big trouble. Jail for sure unless they give you credit for your dreams and not penalize you for your reality.

Popper1, it sure brightens things up. I have seen rose colored ones too along the freeway, never safe enough to get a pic of one though.

Variegated fig Jolly Tiger.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6899746

Oops!

Thumbnail by Kell

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6899763

LOL..what makes a gardener a variegated freak...shoot, I even had to learn how to spell it.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
2:49 AM

Post #6900007

Kell, you are so funny. You crack me up. I'm not sure about the tissue culture; I just read that in a couple of places, but who knows. I think it's propagated by the pups only, but I could be wrong. I'll give you my first pup, and you can start your grove from that one.

That fig is beautiful. I got a Semi-dwarf variegated Calamondin. I couldn't resist that one. I also bought a couple of different variegated adeniums. One of the adeniums is your kind of pink. The leaves are hard to see because they're folded right now.

Rj, that AeAe is beautiful. It looks like I'm putting up a greenhouse this coming winter!

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6901029

Yes, I bet Randy is looking for a var. heliconia and if HE gets to grow one successfully, I'm gonna be green no, black green, with envy.

Kell, I got a var. fig "Panache" from Raintree Nursery and realized after the fact that only the fruit is variegated. Beautiful but I would have cared more about having var. foliage than var. fruit. Fruit is edible. BTW, I highly recommend Raintree. This fall I'm gonna get one of their 3-1 apple trees. They graft 3 compatible cultivars to one stock. Excelllent for small gardens. I have a large property but not a huge apple eater so that's why I'm getting one of these.

Clarey, two years ago somebody posted a var. avocado in GW. They didn't say how long they'd had, or if they'd fruited, etc.

Somebody in my area has a var. Valencia orange. ohhhhh. He doesn't have any for sale but I have him on my watch list. Seedpicker put me on to him.
Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #6901152

Here are my var heliconia I just put in the ground 3-4 weeks ago. I think it supposed to have red flowers.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6901972

I came across these two babies recently and, sadly I was only the go between, they are now living in two other DG gardens. The grower told me the biggest cause of rot is that they are unusually susceptible to a fungal problem they acquire from other bananas. He said to keep them separate.

He also told me they have had bad luck TC'ing the A'e A'e but that they have come up with a different cultivar with similar coloration and they are starting to TC that one. Not exactly the real thing but most of us wouldn't know the difference.

Kell, I liked that idea about wood ashes/lava; it makes sense to me.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6902067

Nery, I was wrong about the variegated avocado sport reverting back. The tip and a couple of branches are still variegated. I can see that a couple of leaves have burned below. I am definitely going to try to graft the branches when they get bigger. I don't think I would care if these didn't bear fruit because the leaves are just so pretty. It can't be in full sun either.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6902075

Alice -- those are so pretty! I like the pattern of the one on the left the best.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6902166

I'm trying to talk Nery into bringing me some wood ash...Nery it's time for a visit!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6902330

ALICE!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW COME YO DID NOT SEND ME THAT SO VARIEGATED ONE ON THE LEFT??? I am so crushed!! I can see my name all over it too.

How did you get to be a go between? Shoot, be my go between. I so need one.

WOW Sunshinesw, has that really spread that much so fast?

Funny last night after Rj talked about ashes, my husband was cleaning the barbeque and brought me a huge thing of ashes and asked if I wanted them spread in the garden. I so sadly said no for I did not have an AeAe banana. Poor me. LOL

Clare, that is so cool. I hope you get it to root and make a fortune on it. There is a nursery who specializes in growing variegated sports. They pay you for them. I wish I could remember its name.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6902403

Thanks, Kell. When I first saw it, I gasped and showed my husband and told him how rare that is. He said, "Oh, I'm glad you told me. I almost pulled it off."

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6902427

Oh my. Another dumb husband move almost. LOL. I have had a few of those here. LOL

Though I am just happy that my husband does not spray round up on our yard. It is so bad you can not walk thru it anymore. I dare not say boo anymore if he does something dumb.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6902432

LOL Kell, Now that I know where to get these babies I may have to go into the business.

The parent plant of those nanas throws pups of both color patterns and the creamier one will also throw the whiter pups and vice versa. The grower, who has had the parent plant for more than 15 years said it has never thown an all green pup. I was so overwhemed I forgot to take a picture of the nana mama.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6902440

About the Corymbia ficifolia; I have one now that is over 6 feet tall, about 1 1/2 years old from seed, growing fairly in a 3 gallon Air-Pot. It does much better in the winter when humidity is lower. I had more seedlings at first but lost many of them after a rapid, healthy start. From seed I was hoping I'd get one that could take the south Florida humidity better. So far, so good.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6902459

Alice, make sure mine is the so white one. LOL

Whatis an air pot, LariAnn? So yours has flowered and that is where you got your seeds? I hope you get one that does well for you. They are a sight to be seen for sure.

Here we have low humidity and it is not hot or cold.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6902506

Kell,

Here's a link for the Air-Pots:

http://aroidiaresearch.org/airpots/

Mine hasn't flowered yet; I got the seeds from J. Hudson seedsman, although there are other suppliers of Eucalypti seeds out there. I was counting on natural variation in the seedlings to enable me to end up with a survivor or two that could thrive better in my climate. If I can get mine to flower and set seed, I will stand an even better chance of achieving that goal because of something called provenance, which is the conditions under which the plant that produces the seed is grown. If a plant that is marginally cold tolerant is grown at the edge of its range of cold tolerance and it sets seed, those seeds are more likely to yield cold tolerant plants than one which is grown in a warmer climate.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6902544

Yeah, there's been a few dumb husband moves since he's been working in the yard. He's broken off plumeria branches and stepped on my Michelia x albas. He even broken a plumeria in half when he threw something in the way back. Idiot. LOL! I told him that he gets points for honesty though so he comes to tell me when he's done something. Most of the time, I can tape up the break.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6902618

Bad Lari Ann for posting new items to test and buy!. Kell & I will be clicking and buying soon I'm sure!
Speaking of which, is there any news on that freeze spray? I keep looking on their website..but nada, zip, nothing ...
rj

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #6902636

Do you think the air pots work well? Is it that much better than regular pots?

Good luck on your quest. The tree is a beauty!

Oh Clare, it is so hard to garden train a husband. What we have to deal with!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6902644

Rj, I was thinking the AeAe may love that air pot. And they are on sale too.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6902658

LOL>..I'm looking at the site too...LOL..I've never met ya but we're peas in a pod

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6902780

A variegated pod. LOL
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6902783

hahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahaaaa
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6902811

I want you to try those air pots RJ and tell me if you can keep them from drying out too fast?
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6902819

I grow all my trees in Air-Pots, and have done so for years. I won't plant a woody plant or tree in anything else now. The difference in growth and vigor is substantial, and if I can't plant a tree right away, I don't have to worry about it becoming "pot bound" because this cannot happen in an Air-Pot. Also, my finicky Alocasias respond well to the increased aeration that these containers provide.

On the freeze spray, I'm going to have to write the inventor again and find out what's going on with it. The product should have been out by now, but maybe they are waiting for a rollout in the Fall. Sometimes, timing is everything.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6902865

air pot coop!!!!!!!! Seems to me that you couldn't chance skipping daily watering with the air pots. This would be something I would love to try. Have never seen the before.

Since we're drooling over various and sundries variegates, Tropiflora has 12" var. pony tail plants for $25 + ship. I will give this plant one more try. I think excessive rain and/or watering killed my first one. But it is a beauty.

http://www.tropiflora.com/

edited to add: they're not shown on the website but I called them and they had them.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2009 3:49 PM
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6902875

For those of you who crave variegated plants, I have a variegated Zamia furfuracea and a few variegated seedlings out of over a hundred seeds. I'll need to post a pic as soon as I get back to my plants (at the office now, grrrr!).
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #6902892

So these airpots then are not inserts? I can't hear the video at work..so guess I'll go back and read some more.

Yes, that's what I figured too about fall roll out, but you'd think they'd post some info on the site...create buzz..etc...it doesn't recognize the product when you search for it.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #6902916

How are the airpots on watering anyway?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6902920

Those would be ideal for Papaya. I lost a lot of my seedling because I still didn't make the soil loose enough...they were in a seed tray..which really was a bad idea.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009

Post #6902922

i couldn't see the video either, had that annoying red x on the top left of the screen.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6902927

a variegated zamia???? Be still my heart, I can't take all the lusting, lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
8:43 PM

Post #6902937

Those pots make too much sense..argh..I hate adding a new expense to my already greedy childrens budget!
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6903032

As for watering in the Air-Pots, it depends upon the water demands of the plant. Overall, you do have to watch them, but the soil media you use makes a difference also. I use a loose mix so I tend to water more often for a lot of plants. But then again, I have most of my plants on drip irrigation (13 zones) so the watering is not so onerous. Wintertime watering is less of a problem, of course.

The video requires a windows media player plugin, I think.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6903054

I'm going to have to look into that. I was at Caldwells nursery saturday night and he was showing me all the zones he had for watering...after this hot summer, it is something that is needed in order to proceed with other projects. In any case, they shouldn't dry out that much fast than the pots are now!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6903120

What is a variegated zamia? You have my attention! LOL

I had to run that video on Mozilla
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6903133

looks like cardboard palm...
Are you selling them? I'm interested
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6903168

if somebody is selling var. zamia, I want one, too.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6903233

I cannot imagine what a cardboard plam looks like. LOL Cannot say it sounds too good.

I need to go looking

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Zamia-variegata-rare-variegated-Zamia-20-cycad-seeds_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ160292377906
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6903273

Good going Neri, we tricked Kell out of the competition..! Lol
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #6903280

Kell,

That eBay offering is NOT what mine looks like. That eBay one looks diseased! Mine is variegated; yellow stripes along each leaflet.

Oh, and pricey, too!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6903295

lariAnn, you beat me to posting. I also say the ebay one looks diseased. pls post a pic of yours, pretty pls.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6903327

ah count me out then, I'm saving my pennies for my Victoria trip in a month.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6903337

LOL Rj. Not so quick. LOL

Yes, LariAnn post a pic and where did yo get it? Please.

Awhile back I was looking at var. kentia palms I think it was. Tiny things for $$$$, several cultivars too and I was in love with the minis. But I kill ones that are supposedly easy so I was hesitant to jump and spend the big bucks.

You guys have me rethinking that one. I may NEED them.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #6903341

You are no fun at all, Rj. Get out of my vareigated pod.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
10:44 PM

Post #6903395

Puhlease...noo...let me stay..the pod is so cozy..
Lari Ann is in her office, so she doesn't have access to the pict yet..she said she would post them when she gets back to the garden.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 3, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6903604

LOL, Kell, you really do make me laugh. I try my best to avoid going to nurseries because I know I will see things that I NEED too!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6903654

Uhh, did anyone see the top article here on DG today???????

(he doesn't seem to have a variegated one however.)
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6903660

OK, folks, view it and weep! This is the momma, not the ones I have for sale.

LariAnn

Thumbnail by LariAnn

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6903666

Here's another view. This plant is a siamese twin with an all-green one. I spotted this plant at a plain ol' nursery and got it at the same price as a regular green one. Sometimes people just don't appreciate what they have . . .

Thumbnail by LariAnn

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6904395

So are you selling them, LariAnn? Nery wants one! So what is a zamia? A fern like plant? I have never heard of it.

Rj, since you brought it up earlier, I have a funny story about my plant allowance. Several years ago I asked a checker at Safeway, our grocery store, if I did the get the additional cash you can opt for as you are checking out, did it show up on your credit card bill or was it just added into your grocery bill.

She said it was added in to yourg grocery bill so no way to tell you had gotten cash. I was thrilled. I was on an allowance so I happily started getting $40 extra many times I went. I even made special trips an dobught a small item and got the extra cash.

Some weeks I would get the $40 extra (then even more when you were allowed to get more) 4 times a week, depending on my nursery hopping. This went on for several years and the whole time I felt so smug. I even bragged about my way to get extra money from my husband without him even knowing.

A couple of months ago I was looking for a particular charge so I opened the credit card bill whenit saw it in the mail. To my chagrin, there was a whole months worth of Safeway charges and under each one it said I had gotten additional cash. It looked to me like it was in PINK neon it was so obvious on the bill.

For a minute or 2, I died. Then I realized that I had been doing this for a long while and my husband had never said boo. Never even asked me what I was doing with all the cash. LOL I could breath again.

I thought it was so funny that by the time Tom got home I actually told him the story of how I thought he had no clue from the credit card bill that I was skimming cash from the grocery bill. He didn't think it was quite as funny as I did. LOL
Bward
Hattiesburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6904486

Kell, funny story-how are you? haven't talk in a while.
Barbara-Mississippi

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6904574

HELLO BARBARA!!! It has been a long time! I occasionally would hear about you from Donna or Delisa. How are you doing? Is your garden still so fabulous? I find the older I get the worse my garden looks. Just going out to the nursery exhausts me, forget planting whatever I bought. LOL Always great to hear from you!
Bward
Hattiesburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6905258

Are you still collecting brugs? Love your gum tree. Katrina knocked us for a loop. Lost one greenhouse and had a lot of damage to the house. All my neighbor's trees fell into our yard crushing so many plants. Just now getting the inside of house back to normal. The upstairs bedrooms just have the furniture sitting in the rooms in a pile. It has been hard to get back to "normal".
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6907064

ROTLOL! too funny! I bet he knows there are worse things
don8t1
Abbeville, LA

August 5, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6911873

The 6 Ae AE's that I advertised are ALL sold.
Bward
Hattiesburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6911936

Don 8t,You are lucky .

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
7:45 AM

Post #6917626

Oh Barbara, I think the 6 that bought the AeAes are the lucky ones!

That is so sad about Katrina. So many people suffered so. I remember you talking about all the damage to your yard. You didn't evacuate did you?

I lost all interest in brugs for a couple of years. I was so sick of mites. I just left them wherever they were and watered them on occasion. Then a couple of months ago, I looked out my window and saw the perfect pink in bloom. So I was captured again! LOL

Since I have been potting so many seedlings and cuttings from 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 up to 5 gallon cans or even 15 gallon cans. Brugs are so amazing how they hang on for years in a gallon can. As soon as they hit a bigger pot they go nuts in delight and you would never know they were stunted for so long.

Today I found a brug in a red plastic cup that was dated in 2004. I could not believe it was still alive. The main stem was long dead but it had grown a new sprout from the roots and it was about 8 inches tall. I could not read the name but I potted it up to a gallon can anyway. I bet it is Pink Beauty or one of the older ones. It deserves to live on after being such a survivor on its own for so long.

Do you still have brugs?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6918308

A little o/t but here is the var. ponytail palm I got yesterday from Tropiflora. I'm pleased. $25 + $10 postage

Thumbnail by vossner

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6918326

here is a closeup of the base. As you can see, not as bulbous as the reg. ponytail plant but gets bigger as it matures. I think I will keep this one as an indoor plant at least for 1-2 yrs. low water. This is a slow grower like the reg. green.

My reg. green was transplanted outdoors a couple of yrs ago and it grows about 6"/yr. has done well w/o winter protection but upper leaves get ratty. I may cover the plant this year just to avoid the rattiness altogether.

Thumbnail by vossner

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6918473

Beautiful. An acquaintance got one of those from tropaflora a couple of years ago and you are correct, it is a slow grower and she too protected it for the first year or two. I don't knolw how it handled this past, very cold winter.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2009
7:14 AM

Post #6921678

I love those variegated leaves, Nery!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
1:51 PM

Post #6922163

I went over to Waynes place last night for a glass of wine, and we talked Ae, he agreed the biggest tip would be total dry out between watering, at least here in our neck of the woods.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6924352

Guess who got #6?

I drove over to Opelousas and met Don & his wife Helen and acquired this baby!!!! Went early and spent a little time at the casino and did not do well there at all but I still smiled all the way home!!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6924406

Well shoot, that one is beautiful. Now I wish I had grabbed one!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6924757

Thanks!!!! I'm so proud!!! Really enjoyed meeting Don & Helen!!!! Super nice people!!! Someone passing by would have never known we had just met!!!! LOL!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6928564

Nice one, Jeri! Here's mine.

Kell, don't worry. You'll have one soon! I promise:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
6:59 AM

Post #6929106

Great variegation on that one, Clare. Are you afraid to water it? I would be. LOL

I am counting the days. LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #6929379

Thanks Clare!!! You were right about Don and his wife is just as nice. I really enjoyed getting to meet them. Now he has me off searching for blue bamboo!!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 10, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6930845

LOL, Kell. Definitely afraid to water it. I just cut off all the old leaves too so I'm definitely not going to water it!

Jeri, I don't know if blue bamboo is as invasive as regular bamboo, but a friend of mine has it all over his yard and can't get rid of it. He says it comes up through the cracks in his driveway and comes back from any roots left in the soil. It is really causing him trouble. That's nice that you got to meet Helen and Don. I talked with Helen a bit too by dmail, and she is very nice. I feel badly that I talked them into signing up for a PayPal account, and they were surprised at the fee that PayPal took when I sent them payment. Shipping was more than they expected too. Well, it was a good buying experience for me:-)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6931017

LOL..did I scare ya. The trick is water, but dry by days end...easy in your area.
And in the winter...then don't water it. Some folks even keep them in the house...now that would be a pretty house plant...hmmmmm
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6931116

I wouldn't suggest anyone else try this but a friend who has a large A'e A'e, cuts it to the ground each winter. His tree is over 15 years old and very healthy - I saw it myself. His theory is that people fuss too much with these plants. However, he does advocate that they absolutely must be on their own and planted far away from other nanas.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6931220

Yes, I'm finding out there is a big dividing line between fussers, and not.
This is indicitive that it thrives on neglect..mmm hmmm..
But I ask you...if you pay 100.00 to 250.00 for a plant...woudn't ya fuss...sounds like the hackers got theirs for free...lol...
I left mine out until mid January this year..then panicked and tucked it in the green house..
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2009
5:47 AM

Post #6933436

Alice, why did he say that they should be planted far away from other bananas? He's probably right about how fussing too much can be detrimental to the plant.

Rj, with no real leaves and just transplanted and in full shade, the soil isn't drying out that fast. I think I'm going to move mine to part sun now and see how it goes. I don't think I'll see burn in part sun.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6933469

Why did you cut off the leaves, Clare?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
9:53 AM

Post #6933608

Clare, He told me they are susceptible to a fungal disease that they get from other bananas. It seems most bananas varieties are not bothered by this fungus but it can take down an A'e A'e and it will rot.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
9:58 AM

Post #6933616

Yes, mine gets sun, in fact it didn't like the shadier area I relocated it from. Waynes is in the cold frame green house in mostly sun all day, some morning and afternoon shade..doing fine. They will get brown spots eventually, but the new leaves seem fine.
The do get quiet a bit of sun. Here is a picture of some in the sun..

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #6933688

My guy said morning sun is good because they have to havwe some light, just not hot afternoon sun.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6934468

sounds right..!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6935175

Kell, some of the leaves got a little wrinkled in shipping and were drooping a bit anyway after transplanting. The new leaf coming in looks great.

Thanks for that info, Alice. I'll make sure I don't plant near my other bananas if I do plant in the ground.

Rj, yours looks fantastic.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6935438

It likes that wood ash...That reminds me I need to get some from my friends chiminea
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 15, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6950113

I just cut my mother Ae Ae down. She was at about 18 feet and had been hitting the greenhouse roof for months. Since the leaves were 8-10 ft long, every leaf would hit the roof and break the midrib. Got to looking real scraggly. I suffered through until the plant bloomed (finally, after about 4 years). Had a nice hand of variegated bananas and several pups at the base. Squirrels started going after the bananas and i was afraid they would damage the pups. So a few days ago I cut the mother down and sacrificed the bananas to let the pups have a chance. Here are a few pics...first the plant over a year ago before it got to the roof

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 15, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6950119

Then the signal leaf and bloom

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 15, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6950125

The bananas I removed

Thumbnail by gothqueen

gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 15, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6950131

The cut trunk of the mother next to the largest pup (over 5 ft). I had to remove one pup already, it was all white.

Thumbnail by gothqueen

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6950155

Those bananas are too cool.
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 15, 2009

Post #6950202

I wish I'd been able to keep them on til they ripened so we could eat them, but the squirrels can be vicious to my plants sometimes, so I just gave them to the squirrels so they would leave the trees alone
carolyn_haack
Saint Petersburg, FL

August 15, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6950244

Beautiful plant, GQ!

I don't know what it is about the varigation that always appeals to me, but the kicker is striped fruit. I absolutely can not resist striped fruit.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6950363

I dread the day that I have to do that!!! Of course, I pray that mine will make it to that stage!!! I finally watered it Thursday. I hope I don't do the opposite and kill it for the lack of water. I'm still keeping it under the carport. Afraid of the sun too!!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 16, 2009
7:29 AM

Post #6952117

Great pics, GQ. Thanks for sharing them. You have a beautiful plant there.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6954007

I bet that was tough... I like your green house. do you keep it closed all year?
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

August 17, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6954920

yes.
If I opened it up the wild boar and all the other nuisance animals would have a field day
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6956194

and probably some of us wild gardeners!
don8t1
Abbeville, LA

September 1, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #8075021

We layed ours down in the greenhouse this last winter and it was looking real good whenwe took it out. I had 15 pups and still is etting another one as we speak. It's geat and t never gives up. it's 9 years old and 21 ft. tall and is like the energizer bunny she never stops.I have exactly 3 plants left can't sell them fast enough.I am very happy with it and also it is by other bananas and we have no trouble with any kind of bugs.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #8075552

Can I PLEASE have another? My battery ran down.

Jeri
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8363700

My Ae Ae that I have been growing in upstairs bath and sitting area since first of December. Loves to be misted as many times a day as you want. Let the soil dry until 1 day before leaves droop and water enough where it does not run out of the pot drainage holes. (I use the pick up the pot and feel how heavy it is test for dryness)

I use 2/3 Miracle grow potting mix and 1/3 medium coarse perlite. Osmocote 14-14-14- as per directions.

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8368918

Wow, this thread has been going a long time! Are the plants any more reasonable to buy now? Back in '04 it sounds like they were really rare.

I have a protected spot outside that gets warm sun in winter and shade in summer. D'you folks think I'd be able to grow one outside in this nice spot?

I'm a nut for variegated plants, too.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8369805

Ooooo all you people with your Ae Ae's, in plain sight for EVERYONE to see! I admit it, I have Ae Ae envy. :)

Looks like I'll be planting Stuttgart cannas this spring. :)

-Joe
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8370481

Sometimes you can find them via Bananas.Org. I have seen them on E-bay also; usually a 2' tall plant for $65.00 plus shipping. I paid $100.00 plus shipping of approx. $35.00. It has grown about 1/3 since First week of Dec. Total height now with leaves in their bent over state about 3'-8''.

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8370512

Upstairs in one of the baths. I have a Money Tree, Alocasia Borneo Giant, A. Lutea, A. Sarian, A.Odora Okinawa Silver, A. Lauterbachiana, A. Calidora tuber, A. Blue Portora tuber, A. Portei tuber, A. Odora Variegata, Xanthosoma Variegata, X. Sagittifolium tuber, X. Lime Zinger, plus about 30 aroids and bananas in the garage.

"I gots the sickness",
Drew

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8372627

Wow, those are some pampered plants ya got there. Grow lamps in the light fixture?

Um, What do you do when you have company and need to make the bathroom available? For uh, people?

It's okay, it's a "healthy" sickness. Gorgeous Musa AeAe
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8373952

Well dyzzypyxxy, Yes; those are 120 watt Gro Lights in the sinks and on the walls. On the other side of this mirrored wall is a sitting area. The second floor, has a huge floor to ceiling window on the south side of the house (in that sitting area) that is about 6'x8'. That's where they live when the "outlaws" come to town.

Everything in the garage hangs there till spring (4-6weeks). I have two Ceramic heaters in the garage and mist all plants in there twice a day. Inside stuff 8-10 times/day.

I have never grown the AeAe before so am reluctant to put it in the ground. However all my other tropicals I have ever had out in the gardens have done really well. I am zone 7-b. Will post pictures in the Spring and Summer.

Later,

Drew
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8762468

Ae Ae doing fairly well at about 12' tall with an 8'' trunk, will bring into the house in the living area in about 6-weeks! E.Ventricosum to the right!

Thumbnail by homer1958

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8766112

gorgeous homer! i love the ae ae.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8766119

You thinking about growing?
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8766140

would absolutely love one, but hard to find even here in miami. i have a beautiful varigated crinum, bromeliads and costus. i am just getting the fever for varigated plants.

Thumbnail by candela

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8859298

Hello, All. I've been away for awhile, but I thought I would give you an update on my variegated bananas. I bought four AeAe's in the summer of 2009, and they all died shortly after arrival. Luckily, the 5th one I bought (from Hawaii) survived. I too paid around $100 each. I have it in the ground where it's been since April, 2010. In January of 2010, I bought some Thai Variegated bananas, which are much less fussy and just as beautiful as the AeAe. I am really pleased with how the Thai ones have performed. The variegation is interesting and beautiful, and the white part of the leaves stays beautiful for much longer in full sun. They also pup quickly, and since the variegation is unstable, you get lots of interesting variegation in the pups. Here's a link to my photo album where I have some pictures: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l153/Clare_CA/ Check the album that says "Bananas" also for more pictures. I'll upload a series of pictures here for you to see.

This is the AeAe that survived when I first received it. This is March, 2010.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8859301

Here it is in April, 2010.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8859302

For comparison, this is a Thai variegated banana in April, 2010.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8859304

June, 2010, Thai variegated banana.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8859306

AeAe, June, 2010.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8859307

Another Thai, July, 2010:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8859310

Neat picture of leaf of Thai one:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8859312

This one is supposedly Dwarf Namwah 'Pearl.' The leaves start out a creamy yellow color and then turn green.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8859313

Jumping ahead, AeAe, July, 2011:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8859314

Thai banana, July, 2011:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8859315

Large blocks of white on Thai leaves:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

October 22, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8859317

Looks like you have become a farmer lol I have chickens and guineas there neat your bananas look great! Plumies look good too glad to see you posting :)
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8859322

Pups of a Thai one, August, 2011:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8859323

Hi Dana! How are you? I hope doing well. Yeah, I totally am a farmer:-) I have 23 chickens, 1 rooster, 3 zebra finches, 2 coonhounds, and 1 cat, and I have a large garden to tend:-) I hope you and your plumies are doing well. I just subscribed again yesterday. I've been away for a while.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8859326

Here are some more recent pics of the Thai pups:

This message was edited Oct 22, 2011 12:33 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8859329

The Thai bananas have been pupping for a while and are now massive. The AeAe is just starting to produce four small pups, two of which look Albino. These are more Thai pups.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8859332

Some other variegated plants. I just bought this as a houseplant. We'll see how it does.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8859333

AeAe in house.

Thumbnail by homer1958

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8859339

Wow, that's a big one, Homer. Nice!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011

Post #8859340

Here is a variegated Monstera that I have:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011

Post #8859342

And a variegated palm:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8859343

Lots of variegated things at my house:-)

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8859346

Another variegated palm:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8859347

And, lastly, from lovely Kell, a variegated ginger. I have lots more variegated stuff, but I should probably stick to the topic here:-)

Edited to say: Sorry for the blurry picture.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2011 1:04 PM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8859417

LOL, your variegated crazy like I am! Nice looking Clare.
Rj
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

October 22, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8859498

I have been watching these waiting for the price to come down pretty ginger Varigated hound here too.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 22, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8859587

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8859627

Thanks Clare!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8860066

I love that color combination of the EE & is that a crinium??
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 23, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8860291

Thanks! Yes, you are right. It is indeed a crinum. Here are the flowers:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8861243

clare they are gorgeous! even varigated palms!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 24, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8861600

Thanks, Candela:-) The variegated palms are a double-edged sword, I'm told. They can never be planted outside or else the variegation will burn in full sun. They also may revert to all green eventually. Oh, well. They are beautiful while it lasts.
popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 30, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8868873

I have save several different variegated banana clones, Ae Ae is by far the best. Here is mine.

Thumbnail by popper1

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 30, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8869294

That's a beauty, Popper1.
popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 30, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8869422

Yea, I experimented and managed to get it to send up two pups so I have three total in the pot. The other clones I have are nice, 2 are a more yellowish than white, the forth is white like Ae Ae, but very variable in its coloring, sometimes half the enite leaf is white, others are almost normal.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8869758

What do you mean by Experimented?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8870120

A friend who raises A'eA'e's tells me the pups often come up with different color variations. He tells me the whiter ones are the more difficult to raise because they have the least chlorophyl.

This picture was taken several years ago but these two pups came from the same mother plant and were the same age. You can see how the cream one is a bit larger.

Thumbnail by ardesia

popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 31, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8870208

Used some hormones to get dormant buds to start to grow. There was a 4th but it was all white, and like tohe post above states the pure white ones will not grow.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8870411

Yes; am aware of that. What Hormone?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

October 31, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8870591

Beautiful AeAe's, Alice!

My AeAe that is in the ground is just starting to produce pups after being planted for about a year and a half.
popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 31, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8870640

BAP-benzyladenine
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8870986

Thanks popper1! I have 4 pups starting to come out of the main corm...There does not appear to be a mostly white one there.

Any particular sight for info.regarding proper use of said chemical?
popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 31, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8871012

It has been sometime since I have done it. I bought the pure hormone from the internet (I don't remember the name of the company) and made a paste with it and applied to the nodes. There were instructions with the hormone and I used the middle amount as there was nothing pertaining to bananas. Worked very well, the plant I appled nothing to there was no new pups.

4 pups is a good number, Ae Ae doesn'usually pup that heavily. I don't know how large your plant is, but I got pups on a plant what was only 2' tall or so. I'll look around and see if I can find any more specofic instructions on what I did and use DM to contact you or vice versa-

popp
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8871025

Sweet! It was a pup last December 15, 2010 at about 2' tall and 2'' dia. It was 16' tall with a 7' pseudo. when I brought it inside the house about a month ago! The pups appeared about 2 months ago!
popper1
Mulberry, FL

October 31, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8871065

Awesome
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8871088

See post #'s 8859333 ; 8762468 ; 8370512
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9198030

This year rocking on with a few tiny pups.

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9198180

Still just gorgeous, Drew. I had a thought when you said the pups were not growing. Do you still have 4 pups?

Back at our old house, we had a big clump of bananas - nothing special just regular fruiting variety. I was all keen to grow fruit, so I recall reading up on them to figure out how to make it happen. One tidbit I recall said when the pups start to pop up, not to let more than one or two grow each year, and remove the rest. Something about the corm not being able to support too many at once.

D'you think the pups might be either starving to feed the mother, or everybody being set back by too big a family feeding off one corm? If they don't start growing, I'd consider removing one or two, to see if the others jump up. (maybe the ones you remove will make it a go, too)

Hope your weather is moderating today.

Elaine
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9198324

I think it is more to do with a lack of sun Elaine! 2 went to the wayside and I still have 2. I could kick myself for planting so far into the tree line!!!

DW. wanted me not to plant it in the tomato garden this year as it was not on it's deathbed as it was last spring. That area of soil is the E. R.. It only got about 2.5 hours direct sun at the summer solstice.

The best way to continuously grow a stand of fruiting bananas is to keep three at all times. The grandmother the mother and the daughter. That way you have a flowering plant and one for the next year and so on!

I am fairly certain that the pups will really get going as the mother gets closer to flowering. Right now I am concerned more for keeping it alive through the fall and then I will dig and I will be fine next spring IF... I have a true variegate. They could end up being all greenies.

They are way too small to remove ... about a Nickel dia. size at the base.

We are suppose to cool to 96 tomorrow and then low to mid eighties the rest of the week.

Thank you so much for your input. I will stay in touch on progress via this thread.

Drew

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 8, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9198391

On the other hand, with the hot weather, it may be a blessing in disguise that you planted it in the forest. It might have fried up to an AeAe fritter if it had been out in more sun.

Maybe later in the summer you could trim a few branches above it to give it more light?

Those 80's are gonna feel really wonderful. Sort of like it is at night here . . . I have a headlamp and garden in the dark these days.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9198409

As much as I love varigated plants, this AeAe is making me want one, but my pocketbook can't justify that expense. So I'll keep admiring yall's. Maybe one of these days as I have no other banana plants so maybe I wouldn't have too many problems...

Jan
koa
Haiku, HI

July 24, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9217111

I will put in my two cents here about pups since the topic has come up. I was told by a grower that pups should not be removed from the parent plant until they have unfurled a leaf, but I have had several bananas, including ae ae, fall over (without my permission), and I have replanted pups no longer than four inches tip to tip of root. Three of those were ae ae. I figured I didn't have anything to lose. I made sure they were watered and they all grew. I didn't lose one. My bananas are more particular about water than they are about sun. I have some bananas growing in complete shade, but they don't like dry places. I will say that my soil drains perfectly. If you think you want to thin your pups I would definitely replant them and see what happens.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9217131

Speaking of water, Drew, what are you watering with - municipal or well water? I wonder if these plants could be sensitive to the chlorine and flouride, not to mention what else, in municipal water systems. Many places in HI where they do better are usually on catchment systems so they would be watered with rain water. Just being curious...
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9217802

Mine is on Municipal Alice. Watering is the key Koa...they love it!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9217861

I was told to go sparing with the water. Therefore, I water once a week with just a little water. How often and how much do you water, Drew?
koa
Haiku, HI

July 25, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9218107

Yes, they do love water! Mine would like it to rain every single day. Like I said, though, I have very good drainage. When I was nursing those pups I watered every day.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9218137

Thanks koa for that info. I have deprived my poor baby some then. Of course, I don't have as good a drainage as you do there in Hi. I am experiencing some brown spots in the white of mine and Drew had suggested last week that I take a picture and post it and he thought it could need more water then. I took the picture and my battery died and I've never gotten back to posting it. I'll try when I get back in this PM.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 25, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9218176

Jeri, I think the brown spots on the white is just from the sun. It happens very easily on my AeAe's. The white stays nicer on my Thai variegated bananas for a little longer before turning brown. They are both in full sun though. If you grow them in dappled sun or part sun, you can keep the white parts on the leaves looking nicer for longer.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA   Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9218443

Hey Clare!!! Hope things have been going good for you. Check this out.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9218817

Mine in my living room posed as my Christmas Tree in '11.

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9218825

Mine blown down by a microburst late August '11. Tied up as roots were loose in the soil.

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 25, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9218833

Full sun and grew to 18' in '11. Already at 16', with another good 8 weeks to grow.

Thumbnail by homer1958

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9219083

So seeing as how it was almost to the ceiling last year, where is it going to go this year?...LOL That really is a beauty.

Jan
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 26, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9219614

Hi Jeri! That's awesome! Hope all is well with you too!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9219650

Thanks Clare!! I have it in a large pot in the semi-shade of my south facing front porch. The little miniature nana is doing well also!!! I'm doing excellent. School will be starting soon and all the grands will be back in place instead of treating my house as a revolving door. I don't get one out before another is at my door. We even took the pool out or rather in the process of removing it and gave them all passes to the local water slide, pool and amusement park and it still hasn't worked. LOL!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9547539

Aeae in my gardens.

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958      

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9547909

Yours' are doing wonderful!!! My bulb has started to get soft. Not looking too good for it.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9550060

:^(
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

June 7, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9550183

Ebay right now they have a varigated Ice cream I bid on it its in the states blew right by me lol
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9554798

Zone 9 Tropicals had 2 Huge ones a few years ago and I know they lost one not sure about the second one. You could email them and see if they have any pointers on taking care of them. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/4456/
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

June 11, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9554804

Last time I looked at the price was 450.00 people are crazy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 11, 2013
8:43 AM

Post #9554837

I wouldn't pay 100 as I know I would kill it but it is beautiful.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9556480

Most people kill them with kindness!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Tree Fern Info and advise requested jester 36 Jun 3, 2011 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America