Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: What lovely creatures might these become?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2004
10:11 PM

Post #987913

These caterpillars have taken over a branch or two of a small Nuttall Oak. Before I destroy them, any guesses as to what they are (and if they are basically harmless loiterers?

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2004
10:48 PM

Post #987989

Could be young caterpillars of the Yellownecked Caterpillar, Datana ministra http://www.ag.auburn.edu/dept/entplp/bulletins/leafeatingcaterpillars/photo1.htm which becomes the moth shown in this site
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/POW/2001/September_5.htm

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2004
12:45 AM

Post #988181

Thanks - the second link indicates their defoliation damage is minimal, so maybe I'll let 'em stay ;o) They are weird little critters - if you blow on them, they all "rear up" on their back legs...
judyb
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2004
1:20 AM

Post #988228

A show I saw on HGTV mentioned this kind of behavior. It's to make them look like one large organism when they all do that behavior. To keep birdies from thinking they are big enough to eat that 'huge' animal.
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2004
1:56 AM

Post #988275

This behaviour is common among sawfly larvae. And my first thought was that these were sawflies. It was by searching for Sawfly and Oak on the net that I found a site on caterpillars that feed on trees and shrubs, http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/shrubs/note07/note07.html which includes several sawflies as well as caterpillars like these. Checking further the species that mentioned oak led me to your caterpillars.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2004
2:58 AM

Post #988351

Your good Ken. I looked and didn't get very far. Hairstreaks & Sister butterflies will also eat on oak but I knew it wasn't one of them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America