can chicken and rabbits get along?

I have posted more about this chicken than anything else..ever. I have an 8x8x8 caged area with a dog house that houses my 2 rabbits. I was wondering if I could stick my chicken inside this area during the day (with the rabbits) so the chicken could have a larger area during the day. There is alot of snow on the ground and the chicken dosent like walking on it. Would they kill each other? My chicken is a Rhode Island Red and pretty good with the cats and dogs.
Thanks so much.
thanks
Janice

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Our rabbits and poultry use to run freely together so I don't know why it wouldn't work. You need to watch the rabbits carefully for a while tho as they may consider the chicken an intruder and try to run it off. An angry rabbit is nothing to fool with. We often put birds that need some special care in our house bunny's cage. She does ok for a while then starts pulling and biting off feathers.

thanks so much for your response. I have tarped off all four sides of the rabbit "kennel" during snowstorms so its nice and clear of snow. Poor Pudgey has been cooped up in an old rabbit hutch and when I let her out she seems so miserable.
I will put something inside the kennel so if there is a problem she can hop on up to get away from the rabbits. At night I will put her back in her own place.
thanks again
Janice

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Here is a little trick to get your hen to get out into the snow. Mine used to look out the chicken house door and must have thought the ground wasn't there because they couldn't see it. So, I spread some old hay, straw, leaves or even some of the cleanings from the chicken house, sprinkled some scratch on it and they all went out to scratch around and find treasures. I know this wasn't what you asked but I thought it might help your hen be happier.

Thank you Mary
I tried the Chicken in the rabbit kennel and put a bench in there with some hay on top. Checked on them a couple of times and saw no blood,fur or feathers where they shouldnt be. I guess I should have made myself clear. She will walk on the snow just to get to my back porch where she can try to get into the house.(Several months ago my dog broke the latch on my storm door and she learned how to open the door and come into the kitchen and help herself to the dog/cat food. Cant tell you how many times I walked into the kitchen to find my chicken sitting on the back of the kitchen chair. I have since replaced the storm door and now she flies up and crashes into it. Only way a chicken will be in my kitchen is if she is coming for dinner*snicker*.
Thanks for the advice
Janice

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I have had rabbits and chickens together for years.. Just watch them closely for awhile and probably before long they will be great friends.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I have the bunnies, but don't know if I want the chickens or not. Sounds like a lot of work!! LOL

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images