AuthorContent
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2004
5:23 AM

Post #991621

Hi everyone,

I've just joined DG, and Lilypon suggested that I say 'hi' in the Canadian forum - hope I've got the right one! Thanks for the suggestion, Lilypon - that Welcome Mat is sure a great place. I'm currently living in Gatineau (Hull), QC but am a transplanted westerner, and in fact am writing this from Saskatoon where I've been spending a wonderful holiday. Last week I was in Edmonton, and tomorrow it's off to Wawanesa, Manitoba - a tour of the prairies :-) People's gardens here in Saskatoon look really good, in spite of a drought the last few years. I'm looking forward to getting back home though and seeing what the flowers have been up to in my absence...my spouse tells me he's been diligently watering! Hoping for some nice sunflowers soon.
Well, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and comparing notes; all the best & bye for now.
Shannon
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2004
3:24 PM

Post #992034

Welcome Shannon, it's a great place here. I"m sure you'll enjoy getting to know everyone.

Linda in Victoria
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2004
3:40 PM

Post #992046

Yippee, another Canadian. Welcome Shannon. It's nice to meet you.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2004
4:23 PM

Post #992088

Hello again! :)

Another transplanted prairie girl!! You have a lot of company here...many of our spoiled BC'ers came from the prairies as well. Where are your old stomping grounds?

Have you stopped by Dutch Growers? I miss not going there at least 3 times in the spring. Even at this time of year they usually have something unique...

Do you have a digital??? We *love* seeing pictures!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2004
6:45 PM

Post #992253

MG 99, echoes and Lilypon: Hi again! Thanks for the welcome. Linda, I lived in Victoria from '78 to '84, in the Hillside mall area. Every time I go back I'm amazed all over again at the variety of plant life. You must have a lush garden! What part of town are you in?

Hi echoes, I'll be in Winnipeg later today :-) flying in from Saskatoon, en route to Wawanesa (near Brandon).

Lilypon, my roots are all over the west - born in Saskatoon (my grandparents farmed at Esk, in the Lanigan area). Lived in Saskatoon, Victoria, Wawanesa/Manitoba, Ottawa, Edmonton for 9 years and now I'm back in the Ottawa area, on the Québec side of the river this time. Also spent a few months in Whitehorse in '96..the fireweed is everywhere there, absolutely gorgeous! I haven't been to Dutch Growers on this trip, but my dad & his wife go there often. Here in Saskatoon the tall snapdragons are just starting to bloom...they'd better hurry up before first frost.

I'm so excited to see all these great things in DG; I want to post threads in every forum! I can see how someone could spend a lot of time at the computer.

My partner bought a digital camera just before I left on this western vacation, so hopefully by the time I get back home Saturday he'll have figured it out and I can start posting photos. I'll have to weed first...Better start with the cats, they're fine as is ;-).

Have to go catch a plane...I'll be incommunicado for a week, as my mom in Wawanesa doesn't have a computer. Looking forward to talking with you all in the weeks & months to come! Bye for now,
Shannon
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 8, 2004
7:25 PM

Post #992288

Welcome from the Alberta representative on Daves. We grow in number day by day. You will find everyone helpful and some of them incredibly knowledgeable (some of us even have trouble spelling). Will look forward to the photos of your garden - weeded or un. Un might make the procrastinator me feel better.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 8, 2004
7:37 PM

Post #992300

This place is dangerous...many, many hours can be spent exploring!!

We are looking forward to seeing your pictures...Canada blooms for such a short time! I always have to chuckle when I see our Southern Friends talk about their 3 week long winter! :b (ducking now in case Weeds reads this post)!!

Last summer the prairies baked..this year we are wondering if we will have a decent picking of tomatoes!

Why did you leave Victoria???????? ;)
stimmins
Beaconsfield, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #992696

just wanted to add a 'hi' and welcome to skplatt, now in Gatineau. I'm not far from you;just a few hours away in Montreal. Found this site last week, subscribed after a day or two of browsing and have been checking it out a bit each day ever since. Still lots to learn, but there certainly seems to be a wealth of information here!

Enjoy!
stimmins

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 9, 2004
12:59 AM

Post #992738

Welcome Stimmins!! We are going into shock here! The Canadian contingent is truly growing by leaps and bounds! :D

What do you have growing in your garden?

Do you have a digital? ;)
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2004
2:07 AM

Post #992836

Welcome Stimmins, yes, there is always lots to learn, and lots of good info here. As Lilypon hinted at, we love pictures!
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 9, 2004
3:08 AM

Post #992899

Bienvenu from Alberta.
Sunrize
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2004
3:31 AM

Post #992934

Welcome to you both, skplatt and stimmins! You will find lots of knowledge on Dave's and it IS addictive. I tend to keep myself in check too much and think nobody will remember me but they always do! Most enjoyable contacts personally and gardenwise. I know you will enjoy yourselves greatly. Happy late summer and autumn growing--AH, FALL in the Gatineau, now there is a picture--PLEASE?
I have still to get to old Montreal and Quebec City. But I shall--I WILL!!
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

August 9, 2004
2:24 PM

Post #993387

Welcome sksplatt, from one who lived in James Bay for 4 years. Still go back to take things from 'my' garden when visiting Victoria. Not always successfully. Brought back cuttings of hebe, -died - the oncy---(sp challenged) white & yellow iris. died - sob - plants from nurseries do better.

Daves Garden is great. Sometimes I lose count of time and do terrible things like burning boiled eggs (a couple of weeks ago).

Cheers Ginny
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2004
5:15 PM

Post #993708

Shannon, welcome to our neck of the woods(forum)...Elaine
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2004
8:48 PM

Post #999444

Cheeez finally some Members in my neighbourhood :)
Welcome to DG and enjoy to the fullest.

Milan
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2004
10:00 PM

Post #1002458

Hi Lilypon, jagonjune, Sunrize, Ginny, Elaine, Milan & everyone on the Canadian forum. Thanks for the warm welcome! Made it back to Gatineau after visiting family & friends in Edmonton, Saskatoon and Wawanesa, MB. Now I have to get used to this eastern humidity again! :-) While I was gone a big thunderstorm snapped the heads off a couple of my sunflowers, and the lobelia in the hanging baskets have turned brown...they're not very forgiving of infrequent watering, are they? But everything else looks great. As soon as I get our new digital camera figured out I'll post some shots. In 6-8 weeks we should have some nice red maple trees around here (but it's too soon to think about fall!). Ginny, whereabouts in MB is Libau?

Lilypon,
We left Victoria when I was 13; my family was ready for a change, and picked southwestern MB. Mom & step-dad still live there, with a beautiful lush garden and 8-foot high netting to keep out the deer. I still prefer prairie weather to any other; it's neat to have 4 distinct seasons. And the sun is usually shining, last week in Manitoba notwithstanding...

Well, have to go beat back some weeds...if I can tear myself away from both this site and the Olympics on TV! Looking forward to talking to you all soon,
Cheers,
Shannon
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2004
6:56 PM

Post #1006480

Welcome to Dave's Garden Spklatt. It's a wonderful place to spend time, no matter where your interests lie. I especially welcome you as a fellow Canadian - there's not very many of us here!

Christine

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2004
10:18 PM

Post #1006777

Welcome from another Canadian! Born in Picton, ON; raised a mile south of Cannington, ON; and now living in IA the past 27 years (can't believe it's been that long!) Glad to read you made it home safe and sound and look forward to reading your posts and seeing pix. Just spent a week at Moose Mtn. Prov. Park with all 8 siblings and Dad and had a wonderful time! The weather was great - only rained the last day. Kids would have loved about 10 deg. warmer for the waterslide but I love the 70s temps. :)
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2004
1:07 AM

Post #1007024

Kooger, you have to stop thinking like a Canadian. You've spent more years as an American than a Canadian.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #1007062

oh no, I hold Canadian citizenship and am a legal resident alien here. lol I have thought a few times about changing it but if anything happened to DH, I would probably head back to ON. One sister is in WI, rest are all in Canada, including 2 American SIL and 2 Dutch in-laws. Boy, we sure are a mixed up bunch aren't we? See, that's the root of my insanity... lol

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #1007095

I, for one, happen to love Kooger's connections!! ;)
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2004
2:06 AM

Post #1007123

Yeh, lily, I have a pretty good idea what 'connections' you're talking about. And it ain't rum runnin.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2004 9:09 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2004
2:10 AM

Post #1007131

Now why would you think that??? ;)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
2:23 AM

Post #1007151

you guys are too funny! see what a bunch we are spklatt? sure you wanna be connected to this zany crew??? lol
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2004
12:58 PM

Post #1007629

Yes, please hang around. It's a long winter coming up. Ceedub, you too. Haven't seen you around before. Nice bird pic in Photos.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
1:02 PM

Post #1007636

ceedub - gonna have to stop and saw howdy some fine day - drive thru Pickering every trip to Dad's. Wanna meet Starzz too in Newcastle! It's fun to meet fellow DGers!!
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
1:24 PM

Post #1007662

Echoes, I've been a member for some time, but have been getting more active lately. Unfortunately the baby birds were gone the next time I looked, so never saw them learning to fly or anything else. Timing is everything.

Kooger, email me when you're going to pass through and I'll give you my address. It would be great to meet another DGer. Be nice to show off my very tiny outdoor garden, and my extensive tropical indoor garden. I live in a townhouse, with little space outside that I can use, but I sure do use it all.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2004
2:37 PM

Post #1007737

:D Tropical indoor garden...how wonderful! :D Which ones are you growing ceedub?
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
4:05 PM

Post #1007854

Thanks for asking Lilypon. I have 5 hoyas, 12 or so cacti, 2 ferns (rabbits foot and icicle), 4 palms, a jade, an aloe, varioius other succulents, an hibiscus, an anthurium, pothos, english ivy, 3 philodendrons, 2 monsteras, a ficus benjamina, and various other leafy plants, most of which I can I identify, but I'm at work right now and can't remember all the names. In all, about 60 potted plants spread around my house, all so as to ensure correct lighting. My house is essentially the tropical indoor garden... I do not have doubles of any plants, and am always looking in nurseries for something I don't have. No violets though, they don't like me, they never have, but I think they're beautiful. I think I fuss too much for their taste. "Indoor gardening" for years (living in apartments) is what gave me the confidence to start an outdoor garden when I finally bought my house 3 years ago. I just cleared out what was planted in the garden beds (really ugly bushes), and grow mostly perennials. What about you?
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 18, 2004
4:47 PM

Post #1007900

What are your secrets for successful indoor gardening? I have always been ok outdoors - started with veggies and truthfully they are still my first love. The flowers are beautiful but there are only so many I can eat. But weeding and munching is such a wonderful pastime. I am pretty much challenged at indoor gardening - I could raise pests for export however LOL
zameluzza
Alfred, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 18, 2004
4:57 PM

Post #1007908

Shannon,
Hi from Alfred ;)
I'm not that far from Ottawa,
I'm not a big poster but sure browse here every day.
carmen
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
5:13 PM

Post #1007930

Hi Jagonjune. My secrets for indoor gardening essentially depend on the plant. I have invested in many books on tropical plants, and more recently in Dave's Garden, to tell me how to look after them. My one rule of thumb though, except with ferns, hibiscus and a few others, is to never water a damp plant. Another is to dilute my fertilizer to about 1/6th what the directions call for, and use it twice as often. I know the math doesn't work according to the directions, but it sure does for the plants. I also, almost exclusively, use terra cotta pots. Hope that helps! I wish I had the space to grow more outside, as it is, I still managed to get about a dozen tomato plants on my terrace in containers - they just started ripening last week-YUM.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2004 1:13 PM
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

August 18, 2004
5:16 PM

Post #1007933

Big welcome from Ontario Shannon !!!! You are going to love this site ! Great folks, lots of help and inspiration !

I left you a note in the composting forum re: the worm bin. Have a wonderful vacation out west !

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2004
5:48 PM

Post #1007973

Ceedub I too am at work right now but these are what I can think of:
1 Plumbago
2 dif Hoyas
1 Stephanotis
1 Hibiscus tree
1 Clerodendrum Ugandense
1 Clerodendrum Bungeii
2 dif bananas
4 dif gingers
1 Thunbergia battiscombii (sp?)
1 Thunbergia grandiflora
8 dif Passiflora
5 dif Brugs
20 dif Water Lilies
1 Pandora vine
1 Dutchman's Pipe Vine
1 Loquat
1 long stemed vining yellow Allamanda
1 pink and 1 white Allamanda
2 Mandevillas
5 dif orchids
1 tiny 4" Magnolia Tree
2 dif jasmines
2 Epiphylliums
6 Christmas cactus
1 single and 1 double Oleander
1 Plumeria
1 Adenium

Great to know what others have...eventually if we get good at rooted cuttings maybe trades will be more common here.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2004 12:03 PM
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
7:00 PM

Post #1008050

Lilypon, wow, I feel humbled, and at the same time inspired! Gotta get out and get more ... and stop being so arrogant about high prices ... Thanks, and Happy Gardening!!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2004
7:05 PM

Post #1008053

one Adenium? :)

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 18, 2004
7:50 PM

Post #1008082

ceedub many I got as young starts, trades or on sale...some like the water lilies I've been collecting for many years. Very few of the above listed plants were bought full size and many came from places like Safeways, Walmart, etc. where they were past their prime and I got at a great discount. I normally find the Brugs (tho' they get buggy), Passiflora, moth orchids and water lilies very easy to overwinter. Some of the above are new this year ie. bananas and very small yet...hopefully some people I know are going to have a year round greenhouse built and the naners and other trees will eventually find a home there. The Plumbago was one of the first and since I have overwintered it for five years I have great hopes I'll be able to do the same with the Clerodenrums since their growing/ blooming conditions are similar.

It is truly amazing what we can overwinter with a window facing the right direction. :) I must say the most difficult plant I have is a abulton x suntense (a blue flowering maple) that attracts tons of white flies no matter what I do :(
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2004
6:06 PM

Post #1009568

Hi Christine, kooger, Carmen, AprilHillside & everyone! Thanks for the welcome. AprilHillside, I saw your post on worm composting - thanks. I may give it a try this winter. Amazing lists of plants that everyone has...very inspirational. We don't have many south-facing windows, so maybe it's time to invest in a growing light - ?
Lilypon, I hope we see some good advice on white flies following your post...I had huge problems with them when I lived in Edmonton. They seemed to really like fuschias, ornamental peppers, Jerusalem cherries...anything with soft & tender bits. At one point I was even picking up the small plants & swirling them around upside-down in a bucket of Murphy's insecticidal soap solution, but those darn bugs always returned. So far have had none in our house here in Gatineau...all fingers crossed...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 19, 2004
6:16 PM

Post #1009587

I haven't found the answer yet...the best advice I can give is to get the sticky yellow fly/wasp strips and attach them to a stick in the plants pot. A recipe is listed here (somewhere) for an oil/soap etc. spraying/dipping mixture but for some plants I think doing both is the way to go and I don't think the battle, in dry climates esp., will ever be won.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2004
9:09 PM

Post #1009879

Good ideas both - will try them at the first sight of the little guys. Thanks.
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2004
3:24 AM

Post #1010344

The only pest I did manage to get rid of last year was the white flies and Doktor Doom did the trick. Natural and effective.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2004
3:33 AM

Post #1010353

I know I *will* need it...Where did you get it Lynn?
jagonjune
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 20, 2004
1:07 PM

Post #1010658

from my local hydroponics store - let me know if you can't find it and i will send you some

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

August 20, 2004
2:58 PM

Post #1010872

Thanks Lynn! I'll check the one in Regina sometime soon and let you know if I can't track it down. I really, really hate the white flies... :(
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5524939

Greetings to my fellow Canadians & transplants - of which I am now recruited to by way of marriage.

Have gone the whole Immigration route thang to be able to live in KS with my newlywed hubby (April 2006 we were married). Immigration interview is over with - thank goodness. Social Security number & Green card in hand - just waiting for Permanent Residency card to arrive in the mail.

Meanwhile, I went back home to Ontario in the spring and arrived back in KS mid July. Took some pics of the front flower garden while I was home and glad to say that with the abundance of rain & cooler temps the flowerbed looks top notch.

I miss Ontario but making the best of it in the prairies.

Waves across the border with wistful smile...

Georgina

Thumbnail by AprilHillside
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5524953

Please bare with me while I post another pic. Please send Fish N Chips ASAP --homesick already

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5524961

Is there a way to attach more than 1 pic to a reply?

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5524981

Miss Wetta - our newest addition - abandoned in heat, no tags, no collar in a shed 2 doors down here in Waterville KS . Let's just say that she LOVED Canada - green, creek, freedom, lots of new friends - human and canine. She is a character ! Now spayed, shots, dewormed and happy to share our lives on either side of the border.

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5524991

My eldest son Brandon sitting on the stoop with Miss Wetta. ~ sigh ~

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5525012

My handsome boys - son Brandon & Mukwah - also a rescue from KS - Bernese Mountain Dog Rescue

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 8, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5525035

A view from the deck in the backyard...north facing, massive trees, shady, hard to grow much more than a quiet, peaceful, relaxing state of mind. Dog Heaven !

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 8, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5525503

Welcome to Canadian site spklatt and stimmins. Nice to have you's on board.
AprilHillside very nice pictures of flowers and family.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 3:53 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2008
8:27 PM

Post #5525637

Was wondering why I hadn't seem this one last August and then I noticed the date - 2004.

I looked up Shannon and it doesn't look like she's stayed on DG. Too bad. She's just across the river from me. Same with Stimmons.

AprilHillside - nice to meet you. In answer to your question, on this site, I don't know of any way to post more than one pic at a time unless you make it into a collage before hand.

Ann
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

September 8, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5526475

Thanks for pointing that out ViolaAnn, I didn't look at the date either.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM
My Garden is Now Underway DCarrington 129 Feb 2, 2009 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America