Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: Screen Capture Programs

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 16, Views: 241
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2004
7:37 AM

Post #996618

Hi All , notice a few people use "screen capture" progs . I am currently looking at Snagit 7 and Mr Captor 2.81 . What are you using ???? Pros and Cons please,
Holty in OZ.
Ulrich
Manhattan Beach, CA
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2004
8:14 AM

Post #996629

Just press the 'Print Screen' key and then paste it (Ctrl V) into 'MS Paint' or your favored picture editing progam.
No Cons there.
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2004
8:46 AM

Post #996643

I use an old version of HyperSnap. Works very well, easy to use and is a very small program.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2004
8:53 AM

Post #996644

Irfanview has a neat screen capture utility which will let you press a keyboard combination to manually do screen captures. You can also set it to do them automatically, specifying the interval at which you'd like them done. You can have it save the screen captures as files in the file format and directory of your choice.

Download it at http://irfanview.com and be sure to download and install the plug-in's for it. Then, check out OPTIONS > CAPTURE/SCREENSHOT

Here is what the help file says, and below is a screen print I did of the dialogue box mentioned.

Capture - Area:
Use the option buttons to capture from your Whole screen, a Foreground window, or a Foreground window - client area (window without caption, menu and status bar).

Capture - Method:
You can capture with a self-defined hotkey or use the automatic capturing. For automatic capturing set a timer value. The value will be the number of seconds apart the viewer will take "snapshots" of the screen or window. One hotkey is valid for the duration of current IrfanView session.

Saving - Method:
You can display each captured image in the main window or you can save to disk.
If you use save to disk, you can set Destination directory for images. Type in a directory path, or use the Browse button to find the directory you want to use.

The Save as box lets you choose which image format will be used to store the screens on your disk drive. Click the arrow and select one of the formats to change from the default JPG. The Options button brings up another dialog box with special options for certain file types.

Capture - Options:
If you want to see the mouse cursor in your screenshot image, check Include mouse cursor option.

Click Start to start capturing or Cancel to exit. After start, IrfanView window is minimized. Now, use the defined hotkey (if hotkey capturing used) to capture any foreground/activated window or desktop. You can make several shots using the hotkey.

Note: Click Options, then Capture again to stop any eventually started capture timer.

~~~

For a free program, Irfanview does a lot!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2004
9:29 AM

Post #996651

Thanks for the "early" replies. I have played with Infranview and it has a lot going for it but need to be able to capture a whole page (scrolled) . I.E a full webpage. Am downloading HyperSnap demo now.
Again thanks ,
Holty..
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2004
9:39 AM

Post #996655

Ah, thanks for the clarification there. I didn't realize you needed a whole window capture. I know I've seen a free program that does this, but the brain fails. The birds are going to start singing here before long - a sure sign I've stayed up a wee bit too late! I'll try to remember to look for that program tomorrow, Holty. G'day, mate!
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2004
10:01 AM

Post #996658

Adobe Acrobat (the paid for version) will scroll to copy an entire web page...but it's not really a 'screen capture'. It converts it into a PDF file.

Also, HyperSnap allows me to select only the area I want to capture (you drag your mouse to highlight the area), the entire screen or a certain window.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2004 6:02 AM

Thumbnail by hczone6

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2004
10:28 AM

Post #996670

This one looks interesting (not free, $29.95): http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter_pro.htm

Okay, I really am going to bed now. I hear the cardinals and robins...And it's getting light out. I'm mellllting...

This message was edited Aug 11, 2004 6:29 AM
halaman
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2004
2:52 PM

Post #997031

Snagit is a very good program. Try http://www.tucows.com and do a search on screen capture. It will then give you 100s of screen capture programs, most are shareware, but you can buy the registered version instead of 15 or 30 days trials. I usually try this site first if I want a program to use, then I download the program I want and use it, if I like it I buy the full version. If you go to a computer store and bought their software, sometimes it is not really what you want and now you are stuck with it. At TUCOWS they have shareware versions you can try first before you buy it and the selection sometimes are too many. Hopefully this helped!
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2004
5:51 PM

Post #997358

SnagIt is a great program!

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2004
11:19 PM

Post #1001274

Thanks for all the replies . Snagit looks the goods.
Are we all watching the Olympics ?
Holty in OZ.
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2004
4:02 AM

Post #1001683

I just found a great free one... AWsnap
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

Just took it for a quick test drive, works great. Good name too, it was a snap =)
screenshot attached...

cheers

Thumbnail by Oregonics

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2004
4:16 AM

Post #1001688

Thanks Oregonics ,
I will test it now .

Holty in Woodburn (Pacific Hwy) OZ . I know there is a Woodburn on the Pacific Hwy in Oregon , anywhere near you ?

Have it loaded and while I dont think it will capture complete web pages it is very good and simple. It goes to show as is often the case MORE is not always better.

Again thanks

This message was edited Aug 14, 2004 12:42 AM
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2004
8:04 PM

Post #1002360

Holty, I use Snagit to create input for technical manuals. It's great piece of software.
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2004
8:31 PM

Post #1002396

Hi holty =)

I apologize, I know you were trying to capture the complete webpage, not just whats viewable.
I swore it did?
At 1600x1200, most websites display without scrolling & must have been the case when I tested?

Snagit is top of the line! ;)

& Yes, there is a Woodburn not too far from me. Lots of agriculture there & all thruout the Willamette valley. Its right on I-5 (the big North-South interstate out west that runs from Canada to Mexico.
I go thru it on my way to the coast, its my backroad route around the big city & traffic. =)

Theres a Woodburn in Oz aye?

morko
New-York
United States

February 5, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7531557

hi
interesting info, as for me on mac I like to use Macvide ScreenCap

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2010
2:13 AM

Post #7540146

Surprisingly this is one thing that MS got right with Vista. Accessories: Snipping Tool. http://www.pcworld.com/article/137099/activate_vistas_snipping_tool.html

It is in Windows Experience Pack for XP. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b5ba4f3-c8e1-405f-be61-8a48ba11ca41 indicates it is for Tablet PC, but links seem to indicate it will work with any XP.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM
Free software heycharlie 8 May 31, 2007 3:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America