Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Hardy geranium blooming combinations?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 4, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2004
1:16 PM

Post #998714

I am rejuvenating a fairly sunny terrraced border and I would like to include a couple of hardy geraniums that will bloom together and complement each other in color, form and bloom time. I already have 'Claridge Druce', 'Splish Splash' and 'Karmina Bio,,,(?)' in the border. Are there geranium 'partners' to one or the other of these geraniums that would improve the display?

For example, my 'Splish splash' looks pale and washed out, and if I could find a lavender co-bloomer to put near it, it might 'punch' it up a little.

Also, I saw 'Rozanne' at the nursery yesterday and it looks like a good candidate for easy care/long blooming time, however, does anyone know of a geranium complement for it? (Although it didn't look 'blue' to me as a catalog described it).

If not a hardy geranium, what else do you recommend planting with those in the border already?

As you can probably tell, I am new to h. g.'s and also an inexperienced gardener, so I appreciate all the thoughts you might have. Thanks.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2004
3:07 AM

Post #1011872

Could you find something in a soft yellow, cream or white? Some hostas and geraniums are compatable if their light requrements can be met. Siberian and that type of irises can be nice. Daylilies, such as Happy Returns, Hyperion, Atlas, Double River Wye are all softer yellows that I have. Mostly I use my geraniums as fill in plants, not so much as the feature, but sometimes it's hard to tell because they are so pretty. I like the blue-lavender ones with pink flowering plants too.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2004
9:16 PM

Post #1012851

MB, thank you for the siberian iris idea. I went out today and found several to add--also found liriope variegata which I think will be a nice combination. There are some creamy yellow day lilies growing in another part of the yard that are ready to divide and will fit in nicely, too. I am glad you answered my query--I think your ideas will make a nice part shade/sun garden--very elegant. When I get it together, I will post a pic. Thanks again. T.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2004
9:38 PM

Post #1012881

You are more than welcome. Combining the plants is the most fun.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #1013497

Hi, again, echoes,

I looked up Siberian Iris on the PDB and saw your picture of Caesar's Brother in your garden (also the Poppies, gorgeous). Your garden must be wonderful. I couldn't find other pictures of it, though, other than the very pretty one under a snow blanket. Do you have others posted? I would like to see some of your plant combinations if possible. Thanks again. T.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America