Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!!

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 163, Views: 3,681
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
12:49 AM

Post #1003859

I decided we needed a change in our kitchen. We've lived here for about 6 years and we've never changed anything about the kitchen. We have rips, holes and burns in the linoleum floor, the curtain/valance was faded, the wallpaper was peeling up at the seams, not to mention 5 years ago the puppy chewed through 2 walls. We fixed the walls but since we didn't have any extra wallpaper we had to cut a piece from an inconspicuous spot--scan the wallpaper, print out sheets of paper with the wallpaper pattern and glue the pieces of paper to the walls-it worked for 5 years.
Well, after seeing SoCal's project, I decided to try to paint the cabinets--although we're not going to use the glaze effect--just plain cream. * Thanks for the glaze directions--it just didn't turn out for me on the test run. Meadow Green for the walls, cream for the cabinets, ceramic tile for the floor and maybe..new counter tops! There's no turning back now--I've primed the cabinets and repainted the walls! I'll update with more photos as we go--this one is going to take a while--not nearly as fast as our pergola project since I'm doing most of the work this time and I still have to get seedling beds ready for next spring. I've got lots of daylily seeds for next year! :~) This photo and the next photo are the "before" shots--nice messy kitchen--DH is complaining already about the mess. It will be a work in progress...

Thumbnail by nminmd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
12:52 AM

Post #1003864

Before shot #2 - Right side of kitchen.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
12:56 AM

Post #1003876

No turning back now!!!! The wallpaper took the entire day to remove...

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
1:20 AM

Post #1003922

Sanded and primed the cabinets with a stain sealer. Also filled in all the holes for the door pulls. I'm changing the hardware on all the cabinets. Knobs for the doors and new pulls for the drawers. Sanding the spots for the new hardware has taken longer than I thought. I don't want the old holes to show through...

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
1:26 AM

Post #1003944

The paint color is from the Eddie Baur line at Loews.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2004
1:29 AM

Post #1003949

Left side of kitchen.

Thumbnail by nminmd

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2004
7:44 AM

Post #1004290

That is looking great! I like the new paint color very much. I'll be watching for the next stage.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2004
2:30 PM

Post #1004578

nminmd .. Very nice!! The 'sage'-? shade of green looks absolutely fantastic in there! No doubt that you are very pleased with your color choices, and the projects' progress! And moving along rather fast with it too ...
Please do keep your progress (and tons of pics) updated and posted here ...
Most anxious to see it all ... VERY nice!
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2004
7:57 PM

Post #1009766

I think the new look is going to be beautiful. Your cabinets look similar to mine, and I've been wanting to paint them for a long time...just haven't worked up enough energy to tackle the job.

I'm hoping that after I see your finished room , I'll get the inspiration I need.

Love the paint color too...
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2004
1:06 AM

Post #1010152

How soon can you get over here to do my kitchen.its the kitchen from Hell...Very great job!! :-)
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2004
1:27 AM

Post #1010184

Thanks everyone! This week has been slow, what with my working full-time outside the house, having my 12yr olds football practices 3 x this week and my DH has been out of town for a week. (yes, I'm whining) This weekend I hope to get most of the cabinets painted! (finger's crossed) I also tried to pull some of the formica off the wall behind the counter--we want to tile it instead. I think this might be DH's job--I'm making a mess of the backsplash wall! I'll post photos soon!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2004
1:31 AM

Post #1010189

... GOOD! ...
We'll be lookin' forward to viewing and being able to 'awe' (some more!) .. over fresh pitters !
hee

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 20, 2004
1:38 AM

Post #1010204

Looks like you have everthing under control!
The best part is you can enjoy your work for many years!
Don't cut corners on what you do now, because it's easier to change something now rather than after you are mostly done.
Looks great!
Bernie
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2004
6:35 AM

Post #1012052

Nancy,

Wow girl, when you say your going to do a project, you just jump right in there.

I also love the color of your walls and with the cream cabinets, it should look awesome. Keep up the good work and if it takes a little longer to finish it, don't worry as it is going to last a very long time.

Keep the photos coming as you progress.

Donna
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2004
10:54 AM

Post #1012161

nm,

If you haven't gotten too far on taking off that backsplash, you might want to consider leaving it and tiling over it. I heard that could be done. Talk to a tile man on how to properly prep it for better adhesion of the tiles. It may be simpler than you think.

Molly
:^)

I painted my formica counters 5 years ago and paint stuck just fine.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2004
1:06 PM

Post #1012379

We will be going to Home Depot today, we will definately have to ask. If the tile can be put on over the formica, I'm all for that.
Thanks.
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2004
1:37 PM

Post #1012416

Nminmd, I like that color too. I'm sure it's going to look great. I painted my kitchen and cabinets a few years ago and it's lots of work. But well worth it.

Molly, what kind of paint did you use on your counters?
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2004
1:46 PM

Post #1012422

Molly ...
Most curious .. Was there any 'preparation' to the counter
tops, first .. in order to 'accept' the paint more readily ?

The paint doesn't scratch off easily .. with plates, silverware, etc. sliding
and moving about .. and all of the other normal kitchen counter 'stuff' going on .. ?
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2004
10:26 PM

Post #1012912

Hmmmm, we won't be painting the formica, because DH wants to rip it down and put new "greenboard" up, and than tile over it. He's going to do the work, so that's up to him. I get to pick the tile :~-)

Now I have another question: I'm going to replace the stove and other appliances in the near future. I would
like have Black appliances, but DH likes the new stainless look. I think stainless holds fingerprints too easily. What
do you think? Anyone have stainless, black? So what do you like or dislike about the finish?

*Has anyone painted a refrigerated? My DH says NO WAY. Just a thought? or maybe not...
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2004
10:58 PM

Post #1012948

Elsie & Magpye,

My kitchen counters were older than dirt, 1958, almost porous. I gave them a light sanding and used Ben Moores QD-30 primer, cured for 24 hours, then just started putting coats on of regular semi-gloss trim paint, Ben moore of course. Then I used 3 colors and ragged on the design. Then I put a coat of acrylic clear coat over the top. We haven't been real rough on the counters over the past five years and I will admit that if I put my glasses on and look closely you can see they are slighltly worn. This was only supposed to be temporary until we could swing a new counter. 5 years later...

NM, yep you can paint a refridgerator. Same process as above. My fridge was 25 years old when we move in here, quite worn looking, but working excellently. I also painted the 40YR old stove hood the same way. Magnet on the white will leave marks, but I used latex acrylic paint semi-gloss and it's scrubbable. (Same paint we use on doors and baseboards.) If you are using black paint, no need to worry about magnet marks, hehe.

Here's the fridge

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2004
10:59 PM

Post #1012949

And here's the hood.

Keep in mind, it's important to allow adequate curing time between coats, preferably 24 hours. So I did, 1 coat primer, 2 coats white Semi-gloss, 1 coat clear coat. (the rag painting was under the clear coat)

Molly
:^)))

This message was edited Aug 21, 2004 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2004
11:37 PM

Post #1012982

RE: " I would like have Black appliances, but DH likes the new stainless look. I think
stainless holds fingerprints too easily."

Fraid I'm sortee forced to go along with your hubby on that one - the stainless steel !!! Any 'black' appliances, in particular the stoves/ranges/cook tops .. are usually enameled. And that means, they're prone to chipping .. horribly so! And how many of us has dropped a metal utensil or pot lid on there ... ? ...

I'm just sick about our enameled cook top, just for that reason! Besides (heehee) .. I thought fingerprints were just a part of the permanent decor with all kitchens!!

MollyMC .. thank you, for the counter top painting process, and some interesting notes for 'technique' tips!! Very much appreciated ...
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #1013041

Nminmd I would think that black would show dust really quickly. Don't new stainless appliances have a surface that doesn't show fingerprints?

Molly, thanks for the info on your countertops. I like the way you painted the cupboard doors.
mariajose
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2004
2:12 AM

Post #1013155

nminmd, I recently moved out of an office that had all black furniture and I am SO happy to be free of it. It showed every fingerprint and dust particle. I put nice fabrics on top of some of the desk area so that I didn't have to keep wiping it all the time. I haven't seen what it is like in a kitchen.

We are in the middle of remodeling our dining room (just put in skylights!!) and we're taking down wallpaper. I really like that sage you're using!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2004
1:03 PM

Post #1013504

Ohhhhhhh, I thought I had my mind made up...
I had picked the Maytag Gemini electric range. This is the stove/range that has 2 ovens, a little one right below the burners and a regular size oven below that. We currently have electric and it costs to much to run gas lines around the house for a gas stove, so I'm stuck with electric. As far as the Gemini, I think it comes in stainless, I'll have to check the maytag site maybe they have pictures. So you really think stainless is a better choice???? Hummmmmmmm.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2004
1:24 PM

Post #1013578

IF it were 'my' kitchen re-do .. I'd be going for the SS. It's not tho' - - it is YOURS!! hee
You guys will fetch the 'color' of appliances that the two of you compromise to decide to on.
And I'll bet too ... that ALL of {our} blessings will be bestowed upon you - no matter which way you go!!! Just one little 'condition' tho' (as if!!) - - ya just gotta continue with your updates, and post a ton of pitters here for us to see ... so we can rant and rave, delight and enjoy .. right along with you both!!!
mariajose
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2004
1:25 PM

Post #1013579

You're getting the Gemini? I want one so bad. Our kitchen reconstruction is a year or two away, but I'm putting that baby in our kitchen for certain. I plan to move the old oven to the laundry room to use when we have holiday dinners, etc. to keep some heat out of the kitchen. That little oven is just what we need most of the time.

Check with folks who have black kitchen appliances before ruling it out - I have never had black in the kitchen, so it might be better there. In my office, the lighting was only a few feet away from all the surfaces such as the overhead cabinets; the overhead cabinets had lighting under them to shine down on the desk... I don't have stainless to compare it to either. (Gee, I'm not much help, am I ?!)

I'm really enjoying this thread and the progress you're making! I *should* remove wallpaper today but it is gloriously beautiful outside and school begins tomorrow and I have tons of plants being delivered soon, so I think I'll see if my Sweetie wants to go play today. The wall will wait. :-)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2004
3:54 AM

Post #1019473

I just saw this thread. Shoot, your kitchen looks better in the BEFORE picture than ours does right now! Your progress pictures are awesome, nminmd. I like that paint color a lot.

And MollyMc, your counters have me inspired! Our house was built in 1954 and our cabinets are the original Geneva metal ones, the countertop the original metal-edged formica with the boomerang design. Our big project we've been putting off is painting the badly-rubbed metal kitchen cabinets and the walls. The rest of our house is decorated, pretty much done, but this kitchen has so much prep work to do before we can paint, it's got us cowed.

Howie and I like stainless steel. I bet some products are better than others for cleaning them to a "fingerprint-free" shine. I'd kind of like to strip our cabinets down to the steel and then do a brushed finish on them...I envision a burgundy color for our walls, white trim and ceiling, and (maybe) a checkerboard white and black floor. Our stove and fridge are both new since we bought the house in 1999, and they're white.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2004
12:41 PM

Post #1019854

Haven't finished painting all the doors--each one takes three coats with light sanding in between. I'm getting tired of painting...

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2004
12:47 PM

Post #1019857

The new set of doors have arrived. Of course, I still have to paint them. I also have to order glass for them. I didn't know kitchen cabinet doors with glass didn't come with the glass in them. Oh-well. I'm going to put in "seeded" glass--the kind with air bubbles to make them look older, and I have to order 2 glass shelves. My DH will put in a little light in the cabinet so my new dishes show up. He doesn't know about the new dishes yet...

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #1019867

This is the cabinet that the doors are going on. I had to paint inside and out. DH asked if I was going to paint the inside of each cabinet since it look so nice...no, I don't think I will.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2004
1:01 PM

Post #1019879

The hutch that started this whole thing should arrive on Saturday. I've always wanted a nice hutch for the kitchen and when I finally found it, I decided that the kitchen needed a much different look--maybe different colors or different counters, and cabinets and --maybe a kitchen makeover to go with the new piece of furniture... I can't wait for Saturday and of course, I'll post pictures!!
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2004
1:44 PM

Post #1019937

nminmd ... Those glass doors, in particular ... are gonna be quite an 'eye catcher' there!
The new dishes are simply .. 'standard procedure' !! (There is motive to our madness!)
.. Ha! ..

Sure seems that things are coming together just wonderfully well. We can only imagine that you may not want to see another can of paint for 'ages' after this project is completed! .. hee ... But, my oh my! How it's all gonna be the worth the time, $, and energy that you guys have invested!

All of the rest of us (DGer's) are coming here to 'visit & view .. and 'ahh & oooo' .. while reading & watching these spectacular and beautiful changes manifest in your home!

And, please .. continue to give us all the updates and post the pics of the progress ..
It's really a treat to see it all coming together for you!

Hang in nar! .. For there is light at the end of the tunnel .. {and it haint no train comin' either!}
.. hee hee ...
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2004
9:27 PM

Post #1020815

The bubbled glass will look really sharp in those doors! We rented the lower of an old house once and had glass cabinet doors; I thought they were so pretty.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2004
4:08 PM

Post #1023559

Thanks for the encouragement! This is my new hutch. It arrived this morning. I'll be on the lookout for new dishes and such. We had the counters measured--takes a few weeks for the countertops. The floor is measured by DH, that will take a while too.

I'm having technical difficulties with the doors. I have to find a clear coat for the cabinets so that the paint doesn't stick when the doors are shut. Right now, the paint seems to scratch at the slightest pressure. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by nminmd

BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2004
4:16 PM

Post #1023568

Oh - that's lovely! I think dishes are a personal thing - so I won't suggest - I'll just tell you that I love Talavera pottery. Do a google search on it and you'll find lots of links.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2004
4:19 PM

Post #1023573

Put those little stick-on rubber "bumpers" on the doors so they don't actually touch the adjacent surface. Makes them quieter, too.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2004
4:45 PM

Post #1023610

Ahhhh the long awaited hutch ... has arrived!!!

In a word ... G O R G E O U S .. ! !

(.. ya reckon it's too little?!? .. ) hee hee hee

You guys had the hutch custom built didn't you ?
Absolutely love the 'coloration' of the stain!!

I've popped in long enuff to see if there's anything
new from you - then back to the work shed, for me!

I'll definitely be back later tho'

Ya jes gotta be some xcited!!

- mags
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #1023644

Thanks, darius, my DH asked me to pick up the rubber bumpers at HDepot today. Mbock, I really like the Talavera pottery. I read that Pottery Barn carries it--so I'll have to take a look there!

Magpye, oh no, we didn't have it custom made. The hutch is made by a company called D.R.Dimes. It is signed by the gentleman as well--that part was free. I think they make wonderful furniture! We ordered it from a retailer called Littles here in Frederick, MD.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2004
11:14 PM

Post #1023991

Oh, the hutch is gorgeous! It looks so pretty against that color, too. Darker walls really make furniture and artwork stand out.

Was the paint you used on the cabinets oil or latex?
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2004
8:00 PM

Post #1026731

This project is looking great! Just to put my two cents in on the appliances... I love the look of the black but after living with it was very glad to switch to stainless steel. Every time you touch the black it leaves prints and I hated having to walk through the kitchen constantly polishing everything I touched. With the stainless I could spend more time cooking and less time polishing and still have everything gleaming.

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2004
8:48 PM

Post #1026814

Thanks. I always use latex. I have washed that poor brush at lease 50 times now. I like the soap & water clean up.

We have major problems with the ceramic floor tiling project----We have hit a clitch. The top layer of plywood is 5/8 inch plywood. The cabinets and wood trim and everything was put down on top of it when the house was built. We were expecting something like 1/4 plywood on top of the subfloor. That way we would tear it up, put cement board down and than ceramic tile on top. If we tile on top of the 5/8 plywood it might raise the appliances up to high to fit under counters and such!!!! I also don't know if tile would stick to the floor after the old glue is scraped away. I also think ripping out plywood that is this thick is going to be impossible--too difficult to remove because the cabinets sit on top and the door trim sits on top. I'm wondering if we can tile right over the top layer of plywood? Wouldn't the ceramic tile crack without cement board under it? What a mess... Anyone have any suggestions? I'll post on Handyman too just incase a tile guy/girl might be looking.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2004
8:52 PM

Post #1026822

This is how thick the top layer of plywood is.

Thumbnail by nminmd

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2004
8:59 PM

Post #1026835

I'd tile on top of the 5/8" ply. While it's true that cement board absorbs some of the shock/movement off the floor joists so the tiles don't fracture nor the grout break, so does a thicker plywood. Two layers of plywood are the best recommendation for laying floor tile if you are not using 2 layers of cement board.

In my opinion, 1 layer of cement board is only a little better than 1 thick layer of plywood.

Above is not the best suggestion, just the easiest.

OR, you can take a recip saw and cut the plywood loose from the cabinets and trim so you can take it up. The grout lines will cover uneven cutting.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2004
9:21 PM

Post #1026871

nminmd ..

I went back to take another glance over all of the pics you'd posted .. to get an idea of which appliances it would directly, and most greatly affect.

The refridgerator looks as if it should have plenty of clearance. The dishwasher and even your new (drop in) range/stove .. should have some type of height adjustment built in.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's routine construction practice... for the lower cabinetry to be built on top of the plyboard flooring. Then, all floor treatments are done afterwards. Such lower cabinets are generally there to stay put .. unless they were being removed completely .. and more of an involved/drastic kitchen re-vamp were planned.

Ripping up what appears to be a good thick solid 5/8 plyboard flooring, just seems totally unnecessary. If there is visible/physical damage and weakening - then one may opt to replace those areas, with the same size of plyboard. But, otherwise .. let it remain as so.

My hunch .. is, that the flooring wil pose no difficulty or much of chore .. after you guys have looked it all over a wee bit more.

Just keep on keepin' us posted .. And am continueing to wish you, all the best of 'luck' with everything! - mags
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2004
12:19 AM

Post #1027158

Thanks mags, I need some incouragement. My DH has decided (at this point) to try to get all the old sheet goods off the floor and than trying to sand the old glue off with a big sander... He initially bought a chemical scrub to loosen the glue, but the solvent might soak into the wood and make it worse.
If I set a tile on top of the refrigerator, it hits the cabinets. So it would make the refrigerator just a little too tall----new refrigerator time!! DH did suggest sanding the bottom edge of the above cabinets down... :~0
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #1027192

Thanks darius for your suggestion. I think DH is going to try to stick with keeping the plywood. I'm sure he will have changed his mind atleast 3 or 4 times before he acts on it, and he does have a sawsall, so he may end up cutting it away. This is more of a project than I thought it would be..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2004
12:43 AM

Post #1027203

Renovation is always more of a project than perceived in the beginning. I tell clients to expect 50% more than any estimate, mine included. There are always surprises.

Have you checked your fridge for adjustable feet (unless you really want a new one)?

Have you checked to be sure there's no asbestos in the old flooring? Sheet goods would be safe... but I found old vinyl-asbestos under my sheet goods.
SO1
Spokane, WA

September 1, 2004
6:10 AM

Post #1029296

hiyas...

sorry to butt in, but i responded with my two cents on the tile issues here... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453492/

and, now that i've read the thread, i have a few comments to add to what i posted.

first a question. is that 5/8ths you show the subfloor in total or is there another sheet under it, and what is its measurement. reason is, if you want to tighten up the floor, then you need to screw it down. but if it's two layers, then where you put the screws doesn't matter much, as long as its symmetrical in application. if that is the subfloor in total, then you MUST follow the joists. (ps... nails give over time and are not a solution in this aspect)

next comment... if the appliances don't raise up enough after you install the tile... many of those remodels that i've done did not tile underneath existing appliances. in fact most companies that i know of lay tile / linoleum without moving those fixtures. one usually has to ask them to remove stoves n refrigerators n dishwashers n the like as the guys tend just to lay up to , but not under them. they may pull the bottom drawer or panel and lay in a few inches, but tend to cut costs by not going the distance, to the back wall. tho it seems 'not right', its kinda the way of trade work these days. as for your situation, you can do similar. however, if , as you said, the tile brings your frig to a point where you can't remove it, then you either have to raise the cabinet above it, via sanding or similar action... :D or get a smaller profile frig. the same holds true for stoves n dishwashers... a comment made earlier about adjustable feet should give you a clue as to how much lee-way you have. ( ps. you can always cut them suckers off to get the appliance out. ok, i'm a brute-force kinda guy... lol)

ok, thats it for now... well actually thats about all i have ... ;)

good luck

Arod :)
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2004
12:14 AM

Post #1037330

Well, the tile floor project has started. We didn't remove the plywood. DH decided to screw down any squeeks and move ahead. DH had to remove 2 tiles from the middle of the floor already. One was too high, the other cracked when he tried to get the first one up. Also, one or two tiles didn't seem to adhere to the cement. My 12yr old discovered two loose tiles when he walked on them before he knew that he shouldn't be walking on them. I hope we don't have to chisel the cement up completely again--what an ordeal. I had to leave the room. DH wasn't too happy trying to get the first two up... !@ *(&%&*#)+. It still has to be grouted, but so far it looks great. Good thing he rented a tile cutter--this made it go much faster. I almost have all the cabinet doors painted, hung and new hardware up. This is very difficult to finish while the floor is being tiled;~)

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2004
12:16 AM

Post #1037331

Still has to be grouted. But it's looking good!

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2004
12:21 AM

Post #1037337

Floor should be done by Saturday! Notice the eating counter has been removed. The new counter will be stand-up/bar height. Of course, new bar stools will be on the "gotta get" list.

Thumbnail by nminmd

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2004
2:16 PM

Post #1037985

Very difficult for one to be doing one something, while the other is having to do another .. hee hee ..
But it's all coming together .. and looking wonderfully well too!! .. Yay!!! .. Luv that floor tile!! Hubby should be mitey proud of himself ... Keep the pics comin' .. when you're able! - mags
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2004
2:32 PM

Post #1038014

Thats looking fantastic. You sure are lucky to have your DH.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
4:16 PM

Post #1038280

Nice looking tiles. Where did you find those? Are they glazed terre cotta?
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2004
11:07 PM

Post #1049426

Well, the tile floor is down. Few problems. About 5 tiles didn't adhere to the mastic. The mastic/cement glue stuck just fine to the plywood, but the ceramic tile didn't stick to the cement. Now I have to pry the rest of the tile up--just one edge or half of the tile didn't stick. After I get the tile up, I than chisel the cement mastic off the plywood and redo a single tile at a time. I don't get it--the tiles are all in different spots in the kitchen--not all grouped together. Well, this time, I'm using a white glue stuff that is called acrylpro. It is a ceramic tile adhesive. Once the tile is put in place--it is very, very, very stuck. Anyway, the tiling & grouting is taking a bit longer than anticipated... Cross your fingers for me that no more tiles come loose!!! Ordered the new range--old one is outside till it gets here. I'm afraid of breaking more tiles. Lots of carry out lately.
* GW, We purchased them from Home Depot--I don't think they are terra cotta, they are somewhat tan/green/terra cotta. But come to think of it, we did have red powder all over the patio from cutting them...
SO1
Spokane, WA

September 17, 2004
1:23 AM

Post #1053035

nminmd --- glad to hear that its mostly over.

after seeing your project and listening to some of the problems you had, i realised i could of added a few points to my post. won't do you much good, but maybe they will help another should they try to lay tile and read this thread.

on setting tiles in mastic --- i picked up the idea to use a setting block. i just cut a 2 x 4 to about 18" in length. set it on the tiles so it covers two or three of them. then use the handle of a hammer to tap lightly back and forth along the block. (use the 2 x 4 on edge, not flat) turn the block 90 degrees and do it again... this causes the tile to try to level itself to adjacent tiles, and make better contact with the mastic.
only put down enough mastic that can be reached. on larger tiles, you may only get to set three. also, if you need to go back into an area to do edges/corners, use a kneeling board of 3/ 4 ply that is about 2ft. square. it'll help level tiles and keep you from tilting them by accident, or worse, breaking one.

on layout --- decide on what width groutline you will have before you start. determine which edges you are going to use as a guide. take the tiles and using spacers, lay a line vertical and horizontal in the area. once you are satisfied as to placement, take a chalkline and mark the floor where the centermost groutline is, both vertically and horizontally. using presized spacers, set the middle and cross rows first, following the lines on the floor. then go back and fill in the quarter sections. or , if you are doing pattern tile, set the transition lines also, so you know what the last row of tile is.

dunno why i know this much, i'm not a tile guy... just loved to set it. :D

i'm sure i'm forgetting something here... lol... its been about seven years since i last layed any tile. if i think of it, i'll add it.

Cheers!!! Arod
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2004
8:06 PM

Post #1054206

I've been re-reading this thread with new appreciation. We're redoing our kitchen in October! We're selling our vintage Geneva metal cabinets and installing stock cabinets from either Lowe's or Ikea. We're still undecided about flooring.

We're doing a similar shade of green for the walls, though! :D
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2004
9:39 PM

Post #1081133

It's slow going. This is the kitchen with the new stove/range, microwave and dishwasher. My DH won out with the stainless appliances. The refrig will have to wait, but it will be satin stainless. The cabinet doors with seeded glass turned out nicely--I think. DH put in a nice light to light everything up.

The floor--well, we will never do another large floor with ceramic tile. I'll pay to have it done first... Some grout is still cracking around the tile--but at least it looks good and the dog loves the cooler tiles!

The counter tops will be here on Oct 19. I changed my mind again and went darker on the counter--black with colored speckles instead of greener. We've moved the eating area up, so now it will be more of a bar height. Bar stools have been ordered too.

We will also be redoing the backsplash tile before the new counters arrive. If only I can make up my mind on those tile. I want some colorfull tiles behind the stove to go with the green on the walls. I'll post as soon as we get the backboard done and the counters in.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2004
9:42 PM

Post #1081137

These are the cabinet doors I ordered. We had the seeded glass put in and DH added little lights in the cabinets!
Photo was a little dark but I wanted to show the lights on...

Thumbnail by nminmd

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2004
9:59 PM

Post #1081147

Oh WOWSERS .. nminmd .. It is all, just spectacularly beautiful !!!!! !!!!!

I really love the way the stainless steel appliances look in there!! Just perfect !

Everything looks absolutely wonderful !! You guys should be very proud of yourselves ..
That hubby is definitely a 'keeper', 'ey ?! .. hee hee ..
The cabinets, the floor, appliances .. geez, EVERYthing .. just superbly 'made for it'.
I know you must be very proud of that new kitchen! Even now, without your new counter tops yet ...

Everything looks like it's all coming together even better than you guys jes may have expected too .. !!
Jes beautiful !!!

Did I mention that I really like those ss appliances ? .. hee hee

Oh please .. post pics .. when ya get the backsplash(s) done also .. ok?
And I certainly plan to continue 'watchin' this thread .. for those new countertops to get there and be installed.

- mags

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2004
2:45 AM

Post #1081541

That looks GREAT! I'm probably going to pop out one or two of our wall cabinets' door panels eventually, replacing them with glass. I love how yours look!

Man, we're so torn between a wall color like yours and one in a deep cranberry tone like this:

Thumbnail by gardenwife

elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2004
10:41 PM

Post #1084228

Nminmd, your kitchen looks wonderful. I love the stainless appliances and your cabinets look great. Love the collection of pitchers above your cabinets - I didn't notice them in your first picture.

GW, that cranberry color is so rich looking.
Osteole
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2004
5:26 PM

Post #1088186

I LOVE the cranberry color. It will look very nice with your cabinets GW.

Here is a few pictures of the tile job I did in my old house. It took me about 8 weekends to complete. I was SO happy when it was done. Bone weary work!

Thumbnail by Osteole

Osteole
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #1088192

Btw, I love the pitcher collection and in-cabinet lights! Nice touches

Thumbnail by Osteole

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 10, 2004
6:13 PM

Post #1088235

That tile looks great, Osteole. Boy, we'll be glad when this is done.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2004
12:59 PM

Post #1089285

I was beginning to feel like this project was coming to an end. Boy, was I wrong. Just another phase of the kitchen makeover. The ripping out of the old formica covered drywall behind the counter tops and the removal of the old counter tops. The kitchen is a mess again!

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2004
1:01 PM

Post #1089287

Ripping out drywall. #2

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2004
1:02 PM

Post #1089289

All the dry wall down--now it's clean up time.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2004
1:08 PM

Post #1089300

See the fog outside the door? This is what happens when DH uses the shop vac to vacuum up drywall debris and dust and then discovers he forgot to put the filter cloth back in the tank! Drywall dust was everywhere. I had to run around and shut all the windows so the dust wouldn't be pulled through the entire house. I set the fan up to blow the dust outside. Too late... Fortunately, I did have plastic over the new hutch, but I'll be dusting for some time now... The shop vac has been banned to the patio until the filter is put back in. ;~)

Thumbnail by nminmd

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2004
1:36 PM

Post #1089342

(geez, this excessively small font glitch, here on DG this morning - is killin' me!! Sure hope administration gets around to the 'fix' soon!!) Yee-ous!

ahh .. nminmd ... It's all progress ... And is still coming about quite well.

These pics you've posted this mornin' .. show those beautiful cabinets really well!! So, so nice ... !!

I know you gotta be some proud and appreciative of that hubby ...

Them studs is lookin' mighty barren there I tell ya !! .. hee hee ..

I've never given much thought to what's behind the back splash (ha) .. till you guys' project!
(ours is currently solid pine logs).
So, what will go up now - where the dry wall has been removed ... as a 'base'(?) to put/glue
your tiles onto ? ...

- Magpye
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2004
1:38 PM

Post #1089346

.. and tah-dah .. Dave comes thru ... and quite gallantly again!! ..
* The font glitch is now fixed!! (ha .. a rhymin' post!) *
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2004
8:22 PM

Post #1090026

Wow, that's some MAJOR stuff you guys have been doing, drywall and all. I wish we knew how to do drywall work (and do it well) so I could get rid of the soffit in our kitchen. Still, Howie wants the soffit, likes it...So, I think I can compromise on some things. I get to put some shelves on the soffit, for my antique tins and such. ;)
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2004
8:44 PM

Post #1090069

DH will be putting up "greenboard" or water resistant sheetrock. Once that is up, he will apply a mastic/tile glue and then he will put up 4" tiles over top of the sheetrock. I still have to pick out the tiles. I wanted something with a little color or a pattern or something different. Not just plain old beige tiles. I have to really start looking. The counters will go up against the new sheetrock and than the tiles will be installed. Thanks everyone for continuing with the encouragements!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2004
9:07 PM

Post #1090109

We have greenboard installed above the shower surround that went in our bathroom. It's been primed and painted, but we are still doing more paint in there. Right now it's pink -- too deep and bright a pink. We were going to do a faux technique over that, but now we've decided on another color altogether!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2004
2:12 AM

Post #1100235

I am impressed! This is major work for a DIY job and it looks like you are doing a really great job. I am enjoying watching this thread and GW's.
SO1
Spokane, WA

October 18, 2004
8:35 PM

Post #1101423

ok... so this comment is a bit after the fact...

i used to work as a contruction manager for a fireplace cleaning and repair company. this was back when i lived in Los Angeles. as you may well imagine, fireplace ash is very fine, and if not controlled well, can dust a house really quick. what we did, was to put a white t-shirt inside the cannister of the shop vac. this added an extra filter to the machine, as the typical onces didn't trap quite enough of the debri. also note, you need to tie a knot in the t-shirt, so as to close the neck n arms off of it. then drape it outside the canister and replace the motor houseing. works great that way, but you'll need to change it / clean it after every use, as it tends to plug up a bit faster than teh regular filter.

Cheers... ;)

Arod
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2004
6:45 AM

Post #1102123

Arod, that is a great tip. Thanks!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
2:26 AM

Post #1104700

Countertops were delivered. They didn't cut them correctly to match the slide in range and they also were going to seam it above the dishwasher. Well, the installers decided they couldn't seam it since it didn't have the right support so my countertops went back. The chief in charge came back to our house and talked modifications to my husband. DH agreed and the counters should be installed on Thurs or Fri. I didn't even get to see them--I was at work :~( I'll post pictures as soon as they are put in. Still can't find just the right back splash tiles...Greenboard is up and joint filler done.
SO1--I wish we had that tip before we vacuumed up drywall dust!!!! Thanks. Any tips of putting up
ceramic tiles for a backsplash?--before we get going on the last part of this project. :-)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2004
2:51 AM

Post #1104720

Oh, no...Bummer. Long wait for a disappointment. Crossing my fingers our countertop is okay! It's just a laminate, two slabs that our contractor's going to cut himself and seam.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2004
12:18 AM

Post #1106012

Here is the countertop!!! They actually had to cut into the new greenboard because they made the counter on the left side of the sink 1/8 too long. Problems, problems, problems... I guess we will be sealing that side up before & after we put the tiles up for the backsplash. DH left for an overnight business trip tonight--I think he was really looking forward to it!
**(Do you like the way I use "we"... that's what we call a "wheezy" project. DH says "Wheezy" will be doing this project...when I really mean Hubby will be doing this.)

Thumbnail by nminmd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2004
12:30 AM

Post #1106026

Looks gorgeous! We went with a dark countertop in blacks and greys because of how sharp it looked next to maple cabinets; you have a similar thing going on there. It really looks great.

Wheezy...LOL! Howie's really excited about the kitchen, too. It's nice when the other half's on board with a project. ":)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 22, 2004
1:03 AM

Post #1106086

Great countertop! Everything looks good together. We are going with painted cabinets too.
Won't it be nice when it's all done!
We might get done by spring.
Bernie
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #1106525

mninmd ... jes ... WOW !!! ...
Those countertops are gorgeous! Those ss appliances, the cabinets, that new floor!
Man! Don't those s.s. appliances just 'give that ultimate look' for everthing else .. and vice-versa!?!?!
Again, jes 'wowsers'!!! . . . Talk about an ideal BH&G 'featured' kitchen !!!

Did ya get a new kitchen sink and/or faucet also? If so, ya gotta shoot pics of that too, you know ... ?!? ... I mean ya jes can't leave us hanging at any point thru this project - we're all 'hooked', and anxious for you .. and right there with ya .. with our jaws gaped and draggin'! I know my drool is already makin' a mess on my own floor! (and my keyboard!) .. hee hee

Yes'ms .. those 'weezy' projects are the best ones too!! I usually serve as 'supervisor' and 'head gopher'!! .. LOL .. But, put in as much hard work, major sweat and knuckle bustin', too. When its all done .. we each try to beat the other one, at saying .. "sure couldn't've done without you hun!" .. Then, eyeball the other real hard, and crack up at each other. .. hee hee ..

Still keepin' watch for the remaining parts of your project ... Ya jes gotta be some xcited, 'ey? ...

- Magpye

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2004
7:53 PM

Post #1108647

Thank you all, again!!! Yes, Magpye, we did get a new sink and faucet set. This sink is made from a quartz base. I really wanted a cast iron, shiny black enameled one that would mount from below the counter. But, after using something hard to scratch the small samples--I found that the cast iron, enamel type sinks really scratch easy. So when I used my car key on the Granite based sample, the brass came off the key and made a slight yellow mark on the sample. This is one tough sink.
This sink was supposed to be mounted from below, but the counter people pointed out that the dishwasher was too close to do that. We could undermount it, but it would be off centered--not centered over the bottom cabinets doors or centered below the window. So we went with the top mount. I think it turned out nice still--just a little different than first imagined.
Thanks for being excited for me--it is so much fun posting our results here on Dave's.

Thumbnail by nminmd

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 23, 2004
9:30 PM

Post #1108755

Beautiful sink! Looks good mounted that way.
Won't be long you can cook in style! LOL!
Bernie
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2004
9:33 PM

Post #1108760

Oooh, that's click. Sounds like the granite actually imprinted the key! I heard on a home improvement show last night that you have to be sure to use cutting boards if you have granite countertops...But because the countertop will dull your knives! That's a switch, eh?

When our little kitchen grows up, it wants to be just like yours. :) We've got stainless steel sink and are just getting a cheapie laminate countertop. We figure we can replace the countertop 20 times over for the bucks we'd spend on a solid surface one - and there's no budget-o.

Got the first coat of red tinted primer on today. We're taking all the baseboards and trim off to paint separately, so it's nice I don't have to be careful, LOL.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #1108831

The sink .. has such beautiful smooth lines!
That faucet is gorgeous, and so nice and tall too!! It looks to be the satiny 'pewter' look -?-
My my .. It's all so functional and beautiful, and ahh sooo very chic, to boot !!

Okay .. something else has caught my totally untrained eye also - is that the ss dishwasher there below and to the right of the counter top -?- For if so, where in the dickens are the control 'knobbies'? (Or, is it jes my 'sometimers' or an ol blind eye?) .. hee ..

I've even went back to take a closer gander at one or two of your prior pics .. to try to 'spot' those knobs!! Or, could it be a new ss trash compactor -?-

Well, I'd sure like to see a wee better shot (somewhat closer?) .. of those cabinets (upper and the lower - but the lower deck in particular, for right now)! heehee Ya jest gotta show us where the knobs are 'hiding' on that dishwasher!!

Hee .. Besides, I'm running outta 'lives' here (re: curiousity and the cat 'killin') .. LOL ..

Oooo, and some closer shots of that fine new stove too.

Please know, that I certainly don't mean to risk sounding so doggone 'nosey'! So, again, only if you feel comfortable .. do I inquire nminmd.

You guys have just gotta be some gosh awful proud of yourselves ...

- Magpye
SO1
Spokane, WA

October 23, 2004
10:58 PM

Post #1108843

hi nm...

one thing did come to mind when i viewed your sink pic above. i noted a taped joint on the right of the sink. that reminded me of extra work i got to do a couple of times... lol... ya see, you need to make sure there isn't a noticable transition anywhere in the field. you can use a short straight-edge to check the joints like that. if its too much, you might want to skim-coat that area so as to have a smoother transition and no tiles that go askew in the area when you install them...

general layout rules apply, i start from the counter edge furthest from a corner and lay the entire row out in both directions, to determine what i want to cut. and whether i want multiple cuts, one on each end. i like balance in tile, and would rather have two cuts, the same size , than one off-sized one. more cutting, but i think its purtier. ;) i've even gone so far as to space cuts out in the line, as a pattern. just depends on what you want. when working around that window, you'll want to plan ahead... there is where many start, so that there is a solid row alongside it. you can tell where your tile line will be once you lay it out, then see what the courner / end pieces need to be, and where you'll 'need' to cut, and how much.

ps, sounds like a fun project, almost wish i was there to help... almost... lol... (ya all should see my honeydo list for next spring)

cheers... :)

Arod
JenniferG
Shalimar, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2004
8:21 PM

Post #1111714

Great thread! I love seing your progress! Looks like you are in the "homestretch"! So far, your makeover looks FAB! I loved all the stuff you chose. You must be so pleased.

Did you decide on a tile yet?
Jen
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2004
8:40 PM

Post #1111736

Magpye, this is a photo of the dishwasher--and no you're not being nosey. I just don't want to bore everyone with little details. Of course it had to be a gadgety dishwasher because my DH picked it out. The buttons are on the inside-top edge of the door. He likes it and he is very picky about how the dishes go into a dishwasher--I usually put them in any old way. He separates the knives, forks and spoons into their individual section in the cutlery holder and each type of bowl or dish has a particular way to sit. I cook dinner & he does the dishes so I don't care much about the inside organization of the dishwasher. He takes care of that.
Thanks so much, SO1 for the tips on the backsplash. JenniferG, unfortunatly, we still haven't decided on tiles--I saw a few that I liked at the Home Depot Expo, but haven't had a chance to get back and take a second look.
I did finally paint the quarter round moulding this past weekend. Just another part of the project for
DH to work on!

Thumbnail by nminmd

Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2004
10:53 PM

Post #1111877

Hee Hee .. Well, that certainly splains why there's no knob 'visible', 'ey! ..
A nice'un for sure!! ...

- Magpye
JenniferG
Shalimar, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2004
12:03 AM

Post #1112006

You can "see" a lot of tile online... if you are sleepless! Let your mouse do the walking.
Jen
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #1112231

Ah, got it at Best Buy? I looked at some of theirs. I ended up getting a Maytag floor model at Lowe's since it was a great deal, plus there was $50 rebate. The upper rack on it is deep enough our dinner plates fit in it! Now, if only we could use it, LOL.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2004
4:28 PM

Post #1114844

Y'all do some great work! Imma watch this thread- it's a really good one! :-D
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2004
11:08 PM

Post #1115606

Thanks! Yes, we did get the appliances at Best Buy. They shipped pretty quickly too. JenniferG,
do you have any websites in mind for tile? I have searched a few sites, but came up with mostly marble and such. I couldn't find anything really for kitchens, but than I haven't been too sleepless lately. I'm usually in bed by 10:00 :-)
Thanks again, We'll post again in a week or so, we should have decided on some tiles by then...
JenniferG
Shalimar, FL
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2004
2:25 AM

Post #1119280

Well, we wanted small 1" tiles so I searched for mosaic tiles: http://www.mosaicsource.com is one.
If you decide on ceramic tile, search for that; mexican, limestone, porcelain tiles whatever, do searches for your favorite. You can get a pretty good idea of what is available - sitting at your puter. Good luck!
Jen
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2004
5:40 AM

Post #1169561

nminmd .. Thought I'd check in ...

How's it comin' along ? .. You find your tiles ? .. Any closer to the final stages of completion ?

- Magpye
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2004
10:57 PM

Post #1170649

Magpye,
Thanks for asking! We've been looking for tiles everywhere--alot of stores were closed for the Thanksgiving weekend. We drove to 2 different places and found them to be closed! I found a set of tiles at a place called "The great indoor store". I believe it's owned by Sears--since they have Kenmore appliances there. I think it's comparible to Home Depot's Expo center. Anyway, the tiles that I liked are VERY expensive--so I have to keep looking. I haven't seen the tiles in a place called Mosiac Tile yet. I've got that store on my list for this week.

This is a photo of the bar-stools we bought. Things are moving along-but slowly. We found a refrigerator last night--but it will have to wait until after the Christmas Shopping is complete.

Thanks again for watching. It's moving along, but now at a snail's pace--atleast until after Christmas.

Thumbnail by nminmd

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2004
11:03 PM

Post #1170656

I like the "windsor" style of the bar stools. They look comfy.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2004
11:10 PM

Post #1170670

Nice stools! I like the pitchers up there on top, too.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2004
11:39 PM

Post #1170711

Ahh, such nice clean smooth lines throughout ...

The bar stools just help set things off so well, too !! A needed .. but some beautiful, addition.

What color are you planning to go with nminmd ?
Once you've found and decide .. then the installation for the backsplash .. will pretty
well have you all done then!

Speaking of Sears (and fridges) .. I was in one of the smaller franchise stores
just recently (I like to window shop, hee) .. and noticed there was couple of very nice SS
fridges. Fridge on top, with the pull out 'drawer' freezer on the bottom. Immediately,
my mind went to thinkin' about those households with small children, and I apparently,
frightened myself so - I ended up startling the sales clerk even more so!!

You guys know that Sears and Kmart are mergin' ?

Merry Christmas .. to ALL of you guys !!

- Magpye

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2004
1:00 AM

Post #1170828

Good grief, does that mean Sears will go downhill, or K-Mart will get better? Our local K-Mart closed years ago and we never go to the ones in Columbus. Those are two stores I can't imagine connected, somehow.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2004
1:07 AM

Post #1170839

nminmd .. jes a temporary use, here .. for you guys .. about the Kmart/Sears merger >

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?storyID=6839532

- Magpye

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2004
2:51 PM

Post #1177551

Wow, nminmd! Your new kitchen is just beautiful! Congratulations!! My husband and I enjoyed reading this thread and it sure has inspired us also! I love the stainless appliances too.

I have a question for ya -

You wrote: " I'm going to put in "seeded" glass--the kind with air bubbles to make them look older, and I have to order 2 glass shelves"

Would you mind sharing your source for the seeded glass?
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2004
2:17 PM

Post #1179076

Sue_WA, The seeded glass is carried at our local glass shop. I went to the yellow pages and found the closest glass shop to our home. I called and asked if they carried specialty glasses-like seeded. They said they had several different types of decorative glass. So I went in and picked out the glass. I don't think it was too pricey--about 50 for the doors. They asked for me to bring in the doors and they installed the glass into the frames. The also did the plate glass for the shelves. That was more expensive since you don't want the shelves to give out under the weight of dishes. I think they were about 85 dollars for the 2 shelves.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2004
2:24 PM

Post #1179085

I think the glass actually turned out a little "too seedy". I had hoped for an air bubble here and there, but it still doesn't look bad. Just a lot more air bubbles than I thought they were going to have.
Thanks for asking. We are going out today to look for more tiles. Maybe I'll take my digital camera and show photos of what we've found that both DH & I can agree on. I still like the "handpainted" tiles I saw in the great outdoor store... :~)

Thumbnail by nminmd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2004
8:30 PM

Post #1179576

You're just a seedy character. ;) I think it looks great!
JenniferG
Shalimar, FL
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2004
11:13 PM

Post #1179759

I love that seeded look! I can see it on shower doors...
Jen

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #1179876

All garden people are the same, needs "seeds" somewhere in a project. LOL!
Bernie

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2004
1:47 AM

Post #1179983

nminmd, thanks so much. And thanks for sharing that photo!! :-D

That is exactly the glass I'm looking for. I think it's gorgeous. How are you enjoying your new kitchen. You really have given us the kitchen makeover 'bug' !!

Is it spring yet? LOL. Good thing winter comes around so we can do other projects and let our gardens slumber.

Sue
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2004
12:32 PM

Post #1203095

Well, I know it's been a while, but we are going to wait until after holidays to put up the tiles. Not that we have decided on anything just yet--Besides I think I'm getting used to the stucco look on green board ;)

Take a look at this website. http://www.claypalette.com

These are the tiles we are going back and forth on. I've picked the "cabernet" tiles with 1 accent tile of grapes and maybe 1 border of a single bottle of wine. The cabernet arrangement would go directly behind the stove. I've also considered painting my own "cabernet style" tiles and having them fired at the local shop in town. (just a thought). My DH says I'm just prolonging the completion of the kitchen--"Would you just pick some beige tile and be done!!!!) What do ya'll think?
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2004
6:40 PM

Post #1203467

Those tiles are beautiful! I would like to find some tiles with splashes of cobalt blue and gold. There are some at Lowe's I like for accents, along with sheets of smaller tiles in cobalt blue. That's gotta wait, though. Le budget was blown, LOL!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2005
10:42 PM

Post #1241808

Well, the tiles that I have picked are just too expensive for our budget, so I decided to try painting some tiles myself. I've been looking into the process of doing it myself. Of course there will be lots of trial and error, but here's my start. I want to "copy" the style of the painted tiles that I really liked, maybe add a few changes here and there. We'll see, I'm not an artist by any means, so it may turn out looking terrible.

I'm going to do a few test tiles first. The tubes of glaze are on order. A local shop will do the firing of the tiles. Here is my sketch on a bisque tile to start. If anyone out there has painted their own ceramic tiles--let me know some tips! In the end, we may be putting up straight beige tiles after all... Wish me luck on the new project..

Thumbnail by nminmd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2005
1:49 AM

Post #1242069

Hey, neat! I never thought of doing my own tiles. Hmmmmmm! There's a place in town which lets people fire their greenware...
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2005
8:38 PM

Post #1243290

GW, the first shop I stopped in was a ceramics shop that sold greenware. The one tile I bought at their shop cost me $6.00. That included using their glazes and firing it for me.

I then checked into a pottery shop. They were much more helpful. The gentleman explained alot about finishes and glazes. The tiles at his shop run about $1.20 apiece. They offered me several pieces of broken tiles to test the colors and get used to the painting techniques. They will also fire it for me.

They also suggested I order my glazes online--so I would get the kind I wanted. The glazes are more expensive that way--especially if I only do this one project, but it is still cheaper than the $950.00 for the 24x18" tile murial that would go behind the stove area that I saw at the Home Expo.

I'll keep you posted!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2005
8:43 PM

Post #1243298

I can't wait to see your creation!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2005
4:34 PM

Post #1323101

Just an update on the painted/glazed backsplash tiles for the kitchen. It's slow going now that the ceramic place has gone out of business. Now I'm looking for another place to get my tiles
fired! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/479178/
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2005
12:15 AM

Post #1332828

Your new kitchen is beautiful,as are the hand painted tiles.If there is a Community College nearby you might check into their Art Department for a Ceramics class.Here seniors-over 60 yrs. can audit 2 classes/semester for a nominal fee and have access to all the kilns and equipment.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2005
7:24 PM

Post #1368846

I'd almost given up...but I get the first set fired on Wednesday! I can't wait and neither can my DH. I'll post the progress--slowly but surely!

This the "before" firing set of 3 tiles. I'll post what it looks like when done--I hope they don't break!

Thumbnail by nminmd

Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1368868

Very nice! How wonderful to have the tile personalized and add that special touch!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2005
8:52 PM

Post #1369043

Really neat -- can't wait to see how they turn out for you!

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2005
11:23 PM

Post #1369328

Patience and talent..good combo..
I will look forward to seeing how they turn out too.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2005
10:30 PM

Post #1709493

Well, 5 months later and it's still not done. I guess I was more anxious to get outside and get my hands in the dirt, so this project was put on the backburner. Now that daylily season is almost over--I'll have to take the time to start painting the tiles again. DH is very patient but not for long... This is the first few tiles that were done. The gentleman that fired them turned them onto their sides and the colors sort of ran or bled over the other colors. I'll have to ask him to fire them flat.

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2005
10:41 PM

Post #1709516

We also decided against a stainless steel refrigerator. We have a stainless dishwasher and stainless stove--I"m not thrilled with having to "polish" them to keep them clean. So I opted for the black finish. I'm happy with it. Once we get the tiles up than the project is technically finished. This is the fridge that we bought from Sears.

We actually bought a kitchenaid from Bray and Scarff, but when it arrived the truck drivers asked if we bought it from Scratch and Dent. Something had fallen onto it between the time we bought it and when it arrived. There was a hole punched into the front door. Well, needless to say, we told them to take it back. We then went to Sears and bought the one pictured here.

Thumbnail by nminmd

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2005
11:47 PM

Post #1709657

Pretty snazzy..it looks like black glass...do you have to shine away fingerprints?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 22, 2005
1:20 AM

Post #1709871

Don't feel bad, our kitchen isn't done either. Got a new fridge on Friday, (white). Picked up some plywood for cabinets today. I hope to find time to work on them in the evenings now. Still real busy with the veggies & Farmers Market.
Your kitchens looking nice!
Bernie

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2005
4:54 AM

Post #1710447

Kitchen looks great! I have our kitchen painting project on the back burner also. Too much gardening going on right now to be inside. I think your tiles look beautiful. Wonderful idea.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2005
5:32 AM

Post #1710484

That's looking really nice! I love the tile job so far -- the one in the upper right with the leaf is especially beautiful.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2005
7:53 PM

Post #1812479

I'm still working on the tile project...seems never ending. These are the tiles for behind the stove. If you look at the picture of our black refrigerator, you can see the tin foil behind the stove. This is where these tiles will go--if I ever finish them!! After the painting, they are fired low and than glazed and refired. Then it will be up to DH to put them up without breaking one!!!

I'll keep you all posted.

Thumbnail by nminmd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2005
1:09 AM

Post #1814961

That is going to be fantastic. Great job!

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2005
11:55 AM

Post #1815543

That is going to be so beauitful...you sure have talent!
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
1:28 AM

Post #2714076

Well, It took almost 2 years. We finished the tiles in June or so, and it took me this long to get the kitchen cleaned up so that I could take a few pictures! :~)

We would still like to put in a new sliding door, but for now--we can say the kitchen is finished. The tile painting took the longest time. I didn't like the way the first few tiles turned out, so I had to work on the glaze.

So what do you think? I'm pleased, but would I do it again--I don't think so. Thanks for all the encouragement over the months of work!

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
1:29 AM

Post #2714085

Another view--

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2006
1:37 AM

Post #2714111

The tiles--
The bottles are labeled--
1. With our anniversay date,
2. With our last name and
3. The name I end up calling my boys--Javid-- a combination of their two names together.

Thanks again everyone, this has been a long "Do it yourself" project!

Thumbnail by nminmd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2714223

Oh, wow! WOW!

W O W ! !

Your kitchen is gorgeous -- great job!
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2006
6:13 AM

Post #2714829

Bout time Nancy. lol

I've always wondered if you ever finished it. It came out so nice and has a great welcome feeling to it. Don't cha feel good that you created it all yourself?

What a difference!!
Donna

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2006
9:50 AM

Post #2714918

The tiles are a very special touch to a rich warm kitchen.
Gorgeous counter tops.

I couldn't help but notice the beautiful wall unit ..just lovely,,,and all those spice racks.
Do you use them all?

Cheers,
Carol
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2729350

Thanks everyone! It took what seemed to be forever, but you're right,

SoCal, I know it took forever! It is nice to say we did it ourselves. It's just a matter of time before we start the downstairs bathroom and laundry room. I also want to put in raised garden beds, so we will see which project gets started first. I'm voting for the raised beds for my daylily seedlings and maybe a few vegetables.

As for the spices, Carol, no--I don't use them all. I used to represent the McCormick line in the grocery stores--I've had them a few years and since the bottles have the "old green" caps--some are probably out of date by now. I rep the Spice Islands line now--so I've been changing them over to the new line slowly! It is nice to have such a selection with new recipes.
Thanks for your encouragement. GW, I was hoping you would take a look. Hope you and Howie are doing well, maybe if you two stop in Critterologists, we can have another sweatheart party this spring!
Don't forget to post photos of your projects!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2729653

How beautiful your tiles are. If you went to Expo, a specialty store here, that lil' area would be about 2,000 clams... I redid my kitchen a few years ago and it took 4 years and 4 Viking Stoves to complete. You actually made good time. LOL

Hap
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2730178

That sweethearts' tea was wonderful. People ooh and aah at my scrapbook layout from that day. I cut out all the food pictures and the page makes people drool. :)
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2737273

nminmd,

What a gorgeous kitchen! You should be very proud. You really have a talent for choosing color. We built 3 years ago and, I like my kitchen, but wish I'd been a little bolder with some color. Very attractive china cabinet. Will you show us what you decided to put in it?

Debra

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 19, 2006
12:47 PM

Post #2738504

Debra,

You did marry the color...paint is cheap...go for the change...

Hap
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2006
1:13 PM

Post #2738565

Happy - you're right about paint. We are in the process of painting our built-in bookcases in the living room from a dark stain to a light trim color. We are also painting the inside of our built-in china cabinets in the kitchen a green close to the tile color because the dishes didn't show up against the cream paint. There is almost -0- wall space in the kitchen that is painted. It's all stained cabinets or tile. We will be bringing in more color with rugs in the kitchen and fabrics in the dining room on chairs and windows. I get inspired by people like nminmd!

Debra
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2006
1:20 PM

Post #2738580

Wonderful job done in the kitchen and glad that you are finally getting there. Wish I was so creative with the tiles.

I was sposed to get a new countertop 3 houses ago, but the x-procrastinated me right out of the house. I had bought some tiles to go with a new counter top, so the tiles came with me.

Simple travertine design on formica, the tiles almost matched with accent tiles that have blue, red and yellow pottery pictures on them. So now, I have my own house I don't have to share and need to get working on the kitchen.

Can't afford new cabinets so will sand the existing cheesey laminates, and paint them a Bleeker Beige. My walls around them are a deep blue. Lot of work painting kitchen cabinets and I may get to it one day, maybe in the winter when the gardens are asleep.

But you have inspired me to make a definate plan MD.

Molly
:^))))
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2006

Post #2743813

Thanks everyone. Painting cabinets, walls or trim a lighter color can really make a difference. When we moved into our house, the wood railing and spindles were a dark pine. I painted the spindles on the railing a bright white and it really made a difference in the living room.

Debra, I would really love to fill the china "hutch" with polish pottery. I think it's beautiful. I wouldn't concentrate on 1 pattern, I think I would mix and match them. Right now I have a set of Pfaltzgraff in there and it just blends in with the wood. I need something a little brighter!

Hap, How did you go through 4 viking stoves--I thought they were indestructable? Did you have a hard time getting one to work or just not satified with what you had?

Molly, You will have to share photos of your kitchen project this winter--sounds like you have a good start with already picking out the tiles--that was my hardest part!

Thanks again, and if I ever get a new sliding door--I'll post pictures!
Nancy
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2006
1:04 AM

Post #2743847

nminmd,

If you start collecting Polish pottery, be sure to Google it . I bought some for a friend of mine at a good price. I believe they sold it through ebay but can't remember for sure. She doesn't stay with one pattern either and I think it's prettier that way. She does stay in the blue/white/greens, but mixes patterns within those colors. She has several serving pieces that have green "christmas trees" on them and they look great for the holidays!

Debra
fleursdefouquet
Ferndale, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2743876

http://www.polishwashington.com/BOLESLAWIEC.html

Here's a link to a site that hosts many different Polish pottery retailers. It's all so pretty. Can't imagine how anyone could stick to just one pattern!

Debra
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2769769

Somehow .. this thread was another, that had gotten 'lost in the shuffle' ...

I am awe-struck!!
A fantastic kitchen re-vamp, Nancy !!! And, finally completed .. YAY!!

A wonderfully unique and some brilliantly 'original' creativity in the design of the tiles over behind the stove!
Masterful artwork and a job well done!

Wowsers!! .. Seems that everything compliments the other! The floors, cabinetry, countertops, the furniture, and the appliances: in the color, lighting, warmth and the beauty of the entire area!

An awesome galley, for sure!

One further request (if I may) - take a couply shots of that dandy stove (the front and the top burners) .. and post them for us .. please -?-

- Magpye
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2006
6:39 AM

Post #2806240

wow, I enjoyed going thru this thread. it was really quite educational, and I love your tiles, and enjoyed that other gals tiles too...
gave me some good ideas...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2006
1:31 PM

Post #2845367

Beautiful job! Your walls are the same color as our kitchen walls::))
Ladyborg
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2006
5:18 AM

Post #2848084

Great thread! What an awesome transformation. You guys did an AWESOME job! Your walls are the color of my cabinets.

I love this idea of posting on a thread the progress, I think I will try it. It might get me to moving quicker on my projects, just to "save face"! :o)
robin_joey
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2007
3:58 AM

Post #3795036

Loved seeing this all go together. Thanks for sharing!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH THE CABINETS AND THE PAINT CHIPPING?

I am remotely starting to think about painting our cabinets. My dh says they'll show knicks constantly.

Thanks again!!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #3795202

If you prep the cabinets properly before you start, then prime them and paint them with a good quality paint, you shouldn't have problems with chipping. Obviously some things will still damage the paint (accidentally jabbing the drawer with a knife, things like that), but it should hold up well to normal wear & tear. But if you don't prep the surface right, then he's correct that you'll have problems.
DigMontana
Libby, MT
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2007
5:43 AM

Post #3795256

nminmd,
Did you say what the exact color was that you used for your kitchen was? I love the color. I'm going to remodel down the road and I wanted a green like that one.

Your kitchen is so pretty and you were such an inspiration and so kind to share your steps in creating a beauty of a kitchen.
robin_joey
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #3796267

Thanks so much, ecrane! (By the way, what IS the *proper* way to prep the cabinets? Lots of sanding? Could you use that "liquid sandpaper"?)

I agree, we need to know the name of that BEAUTIFUL color! ;-D
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2007
7:39 PM

Post #3797367

The proper way is to remove any old finish either by stripping or sanding, whatever method you prefer (although even if you strip them it may help to give them a light sanding too), then make sure you clean them really well to get rid of any dust, residual stripper, etc. Then if they got a little wet from cleaning or stripping, make sure they're really dry before you start painting. Apply the primer and paint in thin coats (even if that means you have to do more coats!) and make sure to allow the right amount of drying time in between coats, otherwise that can lead to peeling.
robin_joey
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #3797578

Oh goodness, that sounds like a LOT of work. Hmmm...I'm trying to determine how much I really dislike these cabinets. lol It's a small kitchen, but still... ;-)

Thank you very much for the tips! I appreciate the time you took in responding!

I'm attaching a pic of our tiny galley-style kitchen. There are no windows, so I feel the old oak cabinets might be improved with a coat of light colored paint. Might brighten the room some. If anyone wants to throw in their two cents, feel free!

Thanks again!
Robin ;-D

Thumbnail by robin_joey

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #3798171

Robin,
You really wouldn't cover that beautiful oak with paint, would you ?

Bernie
robin_joey
Oklahoma City, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #3798251

Hi Bernie, :-)

I'm not sure how, but if you click on my name perhaps, you can see the thread I've started where I'm asking for advice on what to do with this kitchen. I think I might go with some version of ecrane's advice and MAYBE add silver hardware. I just want an updated look. Maybe it doesn't show it, but it is so worn. What do you think?

Thumbnail by robin_joey

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #3798278

I just read the other thread. I will be back later, as I am about to leave for an appointment with some people to upgrade their kitchen.
Bernie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2007

Post #3798693

Well, I painted perfectly nice wood cabinets at my old house, the darkish wood just didn't give me the look I wanted, and I was much happier once I painted them white. At this house I don't even like the wood that much, it looks like somebody tried to whitewash it at some point but didn't do a very good job, so I've known all along that they needed to be painted.

But if you want to refresh the wood without painting, you could refinish them, pretty much the same amount of work as painting but you can keep the pretty wood showing then. Before you consider that option though, are the cabinets solid wood, or is it wood veneer? It's hard to tell that from pictures. If it's wood veneer then you really can't refinish it but if they're solid wood then you could consider that as an option.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3798789

The kitchen paint color was called Light Sage by Behr. I purchased it from Home Depot.

I also painted over the oak cabinets. I did as ecrane3 suggested and sanded the finish. I used an "electric hand sander and then I primed and painted them. I then added new hardware. Three years later, I do have a few nicks here and there but no peeling or chipping.

The problem now is that I don't have any of the beige/cream paint left from painting the cabinets and I also don't have the brand or color name that I used. Looking back at the photos at the start, I see I bought the paint from Lowes. So, I am now trying to match the cabinet color to use on new door and to use for touch up.

Magpye asked awhile ago for more pictures of the stove--I'm not thrilled with the stove in that we have a small crack/piece broken on the glass top. Not sure how it happened, but if I pulled on the edge, I would have a small piece of stovetop missing.

I do have an addition to our progress! We have new french doors! The doors have little side doors that can open up and have screens in them. We really needed this feature because we use it for our dog door. DH installed the old dog door right over the outside and the dog still can go in and out! I still have the job of putting on a prime coat and painting them--which is why I'm trying to match the cabinets closely and then paint them to match the rest of the trim and cabinets.
Fortunately, I do have wall paint left over.

Thanks everyone for looking! It's been a very long process!
Nanc

Thumbnail by nminmd

nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #3798818

Oops! I gave you the color of our den. I just picked up the first can of green and thought it was the kitchen--wrong. Anyway, the kitchen color is from Loews and is called Meadow Green. Maybe I should re-read my own note and I might find out the color of the cabinets!

Thanks for following along. Our next adventure will be putting on a new landing outside the french doors leading to the patio! We currently have a set of 3 cement steps with a missing hand rail right outside the doors. These really need to be replaced!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 41 Feb 3, 2014 11:13 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM
Baby Nursery...seeking pictures... Tir_Na_Nog 67 Apr 29, 2007 9:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America