Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

I decided we needed a change in our kitchen. We've lived here for about 6 years and we've never changed anything about the kitchen. We have rips, holes and burns in the linoleum floor, the curtain/valance was faded, the wallpaper was peeling up at the seams, not to mention 5 years ago the puppy chewed through 2 walls. We fixed the walls but since we didn't have any extra wallpaper we had to cut a piece from an inconspicuous spot--scan the wallpaper, print out sheets of paper with the wallpaper pattern and glue the pieces of paper to the walls-it worked for 5 years.
Well, after seeing SoCal's project, I decided to try to paint the cabinets--although we're not going to use the glaze effect--just plain cream. * Thanks for the glaze directions--it just didn't turn out for me on the test run. Meadow Green for the walls, cream for the cabinets, ceramic tile for the floor and maybe..new counter tops! There's no turning back now--I've primed the cabinets and repainted the walls! I'll update with more photos as we go--this one is going to take a while--not nearly as fast as our pergola project since I'm doing most of the work this time and I still have to get seedling beds ready for next spring. I've got lots of daylily seeds for next year! :~) This photo and the next photo are the "before" shots--nice messy kitchen--DH is complaining already about the mess. It will be a work in progress....

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Before shot #2 - Right side of kitchen.

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

No turning back now!!!! The wallpaper took the entire day to remove....

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Sanded and primed the cabinets with a stain sealer. Also filled in all the holes for the door pulls. I'm changing the hardware on all the cabinets. Knobs for the doors and new pulls for the drawers. Sanding the spots for the new hardware has taken longer than I thought. I don't want the old holes to show through...

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

The paint color is from the Eddie Baur line at Loews.

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Left side of kitchen.

Thumbnail by nminmd
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That is looking great! I like the new paint color very much. I'll be watching for the next stage.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

nminmd .. Very nice!! The 'sage'-? shade of green looks absolutely fantastic in there! No doubt that you are very pleased with your color choices, and the projects' progress! And moving along rather fast with it too ...
Please do keep your progress (and tons of pics) updated and posted here ...
Most anxious to see it all ... VERY nice!

Harford County, MD(Zone 6b)

I think the new look is going to be beautiful. Your cabinets look similar to mine, and I've been wanting to paint them for a long time....just haven't worked up enough energy to tackle the job.

I'm hoping that after I see your finished room , I'll get the inspiration I need.

Love the paint color too...

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

How soon can you get over here to do my kitchen.its the kitchen from Hell...Very great job!! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone! This week has been slow, what with my working full-time outside the house, having my 12yr olds football practices 3 x this week and my DH has been out of town for a week. (yes, I'm whining) This weekend I hope to get most of the cabinets painted! (finger's crossed) I also tried to pull some of the formica off the wall behind the counter--we want to tile it instead. I think this might be DH's job--I'm making a mess of the backsplash wall! I'll post photos soon!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

... GOOD! ...
We'll be lookin' forward to viewing and being able to 'awe' (some more!) .. over fresh pitters !
hee

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like you have everthing under control!
The best part is you can enjoy your work for many years!
Don't cut corners on what you do now, because it's easier to change something now rather than after you are mostly done.
Looks great!
Bernie

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Nancy,

Wow girl, when you say your going to do a project, you just jump right in there.

I also love the color of your walls and with the cream cabinets, it should look awesome. Keep up the good work and if it takes a little longer to finish it, don't worry as it is going to last a very long time.

Keep the photos coming as you progress.

Donna

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

nm,

If you haven't gotten too far on taking off that backsplash, you might want to consider leaving it and tiling over it. I heard that could be done. Talk to a tile man on how to properly prep it for better adhesion of the tiles. It may be simpler than you think.

Molly
:^)

I painted my formica counters 5 years ago and paint stuck just fine.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

We will be going to Home Depot today, we will definately have to ask. If the tile can be put on over the formica, I'm all for that.
Thanks.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Nminmd, I like that color too. I'm sure it's going to look great. I painted my kitchen and cabinets a few years ago and it's lots of work. But well worth it.

Molly, what kind of paint did you use on your counters?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Molly ...
Most curious .. Was there any 'preparation' to the counter
tops, first .. in order to 'accept' the paint more readily ?

The paint doesn't scratch off easily .. with plates, silverware, etc. sliding
and moving about .. and all of the other normal kitchen counter 'stuff' going on .. ?

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm, we won't be painting the formica, because DH wants to rip it down and put new "greenboard" up, and than tile over it. He's going to do the work, so that's up to him. I get to pick the tile :~-)

Now I have another question: I'm going to replace the stove and other appliances in the near future. I would
like have Black appliances, but DH likes the new stainless look. I think stainless holds fingerprints too easily. What
do you think? Anyone have stainless, black? So what do you like or dislike about the finish?

*Has anyone painted a refrigerated? My DH says NO WAY. Just a thought? or maybe not......

Elsie & Magpye,

My kitchen counters were older than dirt, 1958, almost porous. I gave them a light sanding and used Ben Moores QD-30 primer, cured for 24 hours, then just started putting coats on of regular semi-gloss trim paint, Ben moore of course. Then I used 3 colors and ragged on the design. Then I put a coat of acrylic clear coat over the top. We haven't been real rough on the counters over the past five years and I will admit that if I put my glasses on and look closely you can see they are slighltly worn. This was only supposed to be temporary until we could swing a new counter. 5 years later......

NM, yep you can paint a refridgerator. Same process as above. My fridge was 25 years old when we move in here, quite worn looking, but working excellently. I also painted the 40YR old stove hood the same way. Magnet on the white will leave marks, but I used latex acrylic paint semi-gloss and it's scrubbable. (Same paint we use on doors and baseboards.) If you are using black paint, no need to worry about magnet marks, hehe.

Here's the fridge

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And here's the hood.

Keep in mind, it's important to allow adequate curing time between coats, preferably 24 hours. So I did, 1 coat primer, 2 coats white Semi-gloss, 1 coat clear coat. (the rag painting was under the clear coat)

Molly
:^)))

This message was edited Aug 21, 2004 7:02 PM

Thumbnail by MollyMc
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

RE: " I would like have Black appliances, but DH likes the new stainless look. I think
stainless holds fingerprints too easily."

Fraid I'm sortee forced to go along with your hubby on that one - the stainless steel !!! Any 'black' appliances, in particular the stoves/ranges/cook tops .. are usually enameled. And that means, they're prone to chipping .. horribly so! And how many of us has dropped a metal utensil or pot lid on there ... ? ...

I'm just sick about our enameled cook top, just for that reason! Besides (heehee) .. I thought fingerprints were just a part of the permanent decor with all kitchens!!

MollyMC .. thank you, for the counter top painting process, and some interesting notes for 'technique' tips!! Very much appreciated ...

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Nminmd I would think that black would show dust really quickly. Don't new stainless appliances have a surface that doesn't show fingerprints?

Molly, thanks for the info on your countertops. I like the way you painted the cupboard doors.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

nminmd, I recently moved out of an office that had all black furniture and I am SO happy to be free of it. It showed every fingerprint and dust particle. I put nice fabrics on top of some of the desk area so that I didn't have to keep wiping it all the time. I haven't seen what it is like in a kitchen.

We are in the middle of remodeling our dining room (just put in skylights!!) and we're taking down wallpaper. I really like that sage you're using!

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhhhh, I thought I had my mind made up.......
I had picked the Maytag Gemini electric range. This is the stove/range that has 2 ovens, a little one right below the burners and a regular size oven below that. We currently have electric and it costs to much to run gas lines around the house for a gas stove, so I'm stuck with electric. As far as the Gemini, I think it comes in stainless, I'll have to check the maytag site maybe they have pictures. So you really think stainless is a better choice???? Hummmmmmmm.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

IF it were 'my' kitchen re-do .. I'd be going for the SS. It's not tho' - - it is YOURS!! hee
You guys will fetch the 'color' of appliances that the two of you compromise to decide to on.
And I'll bet too ... that ALL of {our} blessings will be bestowed upon you - no matter which way you go!!! Just one little 'condition' tho' (as if!!) - - ya just gotta continue with your updates, and post a ton of pitters here for us to see ... so we can rant and rave, delight and enjoy .. right along with you both!!!

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

You're getting the Gemini? I want one so bad. Our kitchen reconstruction is a year or two away, but I'm putting that baby in our kitchen for certain. I plan to move the old oven to the laundry room to use when we have holiday dinners, etc. to keep some heat out of the kitchen. That little oven is just what we need most of the time.

Check with folks who have black kitchen appliances before ruling it out - I have never had black in the kitchen, so it might be better there. In my office, the lighting was only a few feet away from all the surfaces such as the overhead cabinets; the overhead cabinets had lighting under them to shine down on the desk... I don't have stainless to compare it to either. (Gee, I'm not much help, am I ?!)

I'm really enjoying this thread and the progress you're making! I *should* remove wallpaper today but it is gloriously beautiful outside and school begins tomorrow and I have tons of plants being delivered soon, so I think I'll see if my Sweetie wants to go play today. The wall will wait. :-)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I just saw this thread. Shoot, your kitchen looks better in the BEFORE picture than ours does right now! Your progress pictures are awesome, nminmd. I like that paint color a lot.

And MollyMc, your counters have me inspired! Our house was built in 1954 and our cabinets are the original Geneva metal ones, the countertop the original metal-edged formica with the boomerang design. Our big project we've been putting off is painting the badly-rubbed metal kitchen cabinets and the walls. The rest of our house is decorated, pretty much done, but this kitchen has so much prep work to do before we can paint, it's got us cowed.

Howie and I like stainless steel. I bet some products are better than others for cleaning them to a "fingerprint-free" shine. I'd kind of like to strip our cabinets down to the steel and then do a brushed finish on them...I envision a burgundy color for our walls, white trim and ceiling, and (maybe) a checkerboard white and black floor. Our stove and fridge are both new since we bought the house in 1999, and they're white.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Haven't finished painting all the doors--each one takes three coats with light sanding in between. I'm getting tired of painting....

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

The new set of doors have arrived. Of course, I still have to paint them. I also have to order glass for them. I didn't know kitchen cabinet doors with glass didn't come with the glass in them. Oh-well. I'm going to put in "seeded" glass--the kind with air bubbles to make them look older, and I have to order 2 glass shelves. My DH will put in a little light in the cabinet so my new dishes show up. He doesn't know about the new dishes yet.....

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the cabinet that the doors are going on. I had to paint inside and out. DH asked if I was going to paint the inside of each cabinet since it look so nice......no, I don't think I will.

Thumbnail by nminmd
Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

The hutch that started this whole thing should arrive on Saturday. I've always wanted a nice hutch for the kitchen and when I finally found it, I decided that the kitchen needed a much different look--maybe different colors or different counters, and cabinets and --maybe a kitchen makeover to go with the new piece of furniture..... I can't wait for Saturday and of course, I'll post pictures!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

nminmd ... Those glass doors, in particular ... are gonna be quite an 'eye catcher' there!
The new dishes are simply .. 'standard procedure' !! (There is motive to our madness!)
.. Ha! ..

Sure seems that things are coming together just wonderfully well. We can only imagine that you may not want to see another can of paint for 'ages' after this project is completed! .. hee ... But, my oh my! How it's all gonna be the worth the time, $, and energy that you guys have invested!

All of the rest of us (DGer's) are coming here to 'visit & view .. and 'ahh & oooo' .. while reading & watching these spectacular and beautiful changes manifest in your home!

And, please .. continue to give us all the updates and post the pics of the progress ..
It's really a treat to see it all coming together for you!

Hang in nar! .. For there is light at the end of the tunnel .. {and it haint no train comin' either!}
.. hee hee ...

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The bubbled glass will look really sharp in those doors! We rented the lower of an old house once and had glass cabinet doors; I thought they were so pretty.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the encouragement! This is my new hutch. It arrived this morning. I'll be on the lookout for new dishes and such. We had the counters measured--takes a few weeks for the countertops. The floor is measured by DH, that will take a while too.

I'm having technical difficulties with the doors. I have to find a clear coat for the cabinets so that the paint doesn't stick when the doors are shut. Right now, the paint seems to scratch at the slightest pressure. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by nminmd
Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Oh - that's lovely! I think dishes are a personal thing - so I won't suggest - I'll just tell you that I love Talavera pottery. Do a google search on it and you'll find lots of links.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Put those little stick-on rubber "bumpers" on the doors so they don't actually touch the adjacent surface. Makes them quieter, too.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhhh the long awaited hutch ... has arrived!!!

In a word ... G O R G E O U S .. ! !

(.. ya reckon it's too little?!? .. ) hee hee hee

You guys had the hutch custom built didn't you ?
Absolutely love the 'coloration' of the stain!!

I've popped in long enuff to see if there's anything
new from you - then back to the work shed, for me!

I'll definitely be back later tho'

Ya jes gotta be some xcited!!

- mags

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, darius, my DH asked me to pick up the rubber bumpers at HDepot today. Mbock, I really like the Talavera pottery. I read that Pottery Barn carries it--so I'll have to take a look there!

Magpye, oh no, we didn't have it custom made. The hutch is made by a company called D.R.Dimes. It is signed by the gentleman as well--that part was free. I think they make wonderful furniture! We ordered it from a retailer called Littles here in Frederick, MD.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, the hutch is gorgeous! It looks so pretty against that color, too. Darker walls really make furniture and artwork stand out.

Was the paint you used on the cabinets oil or latex?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images