CLOSED: Hummingbird or Hawk moth - I think, but which one?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I caught this HUGE moth on my crinum lily this morning - I don't know if it had just crawled up there and was drying or what. It's abdomen had pink on it, although not totally pink. I tried to look up what it was, but there are hundreds and hundreds of different species of these guys out there. If I knew what it was, I'd know what to plant for it's larvae to eat to get more . . .

Any ideas?

Onalee

Thumbnail by onalee
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here's a better picture of it's wings . ..

Thumbnail by onalee
Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Nice shot, looks like Pink Spotted Hawkmoth

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/lepid/moths/fl/1020.htm

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks PanamonCreel - I looked at that one and it looked so much lighter in color on the wings, I wasn't sure if it was the same thing. I supposed the coloring can be lighter or darker depending on age . . .? He did have pink on the abdomen, but I couldn't tell if there was any on the wings . ..

Thanks,
Onalee

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Coloration may vary, you also have to look at the patterns of the wings. The pink on the hindwing only shows up when the wings are spread out. You could have pulled the wing a bit outward to take a look :).

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I think I'll take your word for that, Panamoncreel! ;-) . I guess I need to plant more daturas next year for them to munch on!

Thanks so much!
Onalee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images