Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Brugmansias: seems like

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 6, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2001
2:46 AM

Post #6414

I read in one thread that you take off the bottom leaves?? My salmon brug is putting out leaves all the way from the ground, and I don't know for sure.
btw, I think my datura seeds that I started last week are coming up! (okay, one seed:) I sure hope so, but won't know for sure for a couple of more days.
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2001
3:01 AM

Post #82713

tiG, from my short experience with growing Brugs, if you want it to grow more bush-like, then just leave it be. If you are looking to grow it in tree form, then just gently remove the leaves from the bottom of the stem, leaving the ones at the top. Have yours formed a 'Y' in the stem?

Congrats on your Datura seeds.

Jean
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2001
3:21 AM

Post #82717

no, no Y yet. I take it that should be happening? It's about 15" or so high. Is there one that's better for blooms? bush or tree form?
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2001
4:11 AM

Post #82724

umm...how big is that? :)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 13, 2001
3:08 PM

Post #82827

Jean,
Taking all of the leaves, small and large will help it grow into a tree form if one removes from the top up, but leaving the small leaves and just taking the large leaves will result in more branching in most cases. If not, one can always top 6 or so inches off the top after removing these large leaves and leaving the small leaves in the nodes or at least that has been my experience. Just trying to clarify things as it is easy to misunderstand exactly what someone is implying in here at times. Removing the offshoots is a wonderful way to make gifts for people and the wounds quickly heal up with Brugmansia. Don't worry about taking green tender small cuttings as these root easily with some hybrids and some hybrids even do better by using the green tender shoots and offshoots. Candida species, a double ,is a good example of a Brugmansia that is especially easy to root from extremely small green tender cuttings.
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America