Made of Wood not Wax.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

These are not made of wax or ice, these are from wood. Very artistic and hard worker people, when they touch the piece of wood that become piece of wax in their hands. Very beautiful working, as these items are hand made ,so very expensive ,after foiling now ready for polishing. Maximum furniture is export abroad.

Thumbnail by gumlla

Side table and decoration peice.

Thumbnail by gumlla

For mirror.

Thumbnail by gumlla

Sofa for sitting.

Thumbnail by gumlla

During working.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

Those are really great work. Pakistanin people are very handy!

I have been doing wood works here in Finland and I know that making things of wood is not easy, even little things are hard to make.

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Very beautiful. What kind of wood does he work with?

Cicero, NY(Zone 5a)

OH MY
such artistry and skill!!!!!!
Gorgeous!

Mitjo
Yes it is very hard to work with woods.

Kathy_T
These are made of sheesham wood.

crestedchik
These are also working in the style of an artist who paint his portrait or landscape.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

So intricate, imagine having the skill and patience to do that. Thank you gumlla.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

That's the sort of craftsmanship which is becoming hard to find in this world. I so admire such fine work and hope his skill is well rewarded. ~Blooms

Business men earn alot from these but pay very less to workers, We all know it is hard to work with woods.
Here you can see the working style.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Not exactly an ergonomic position to have to work in... and we thought carpal tunnel was bad. He should make the money. Always a truth when craft is big business.
No politics. I promise.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

gumlla, the above picture of the man carving? How much would that carving be in American dollars and also the beautiful sofa?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Those are so intricate and beautiful, he is to be congratulated on his talent.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The table with the grapevine motif is my favorite. His work is beautiful! Is he a friend of yours?

Tplant
The man is working on the piece is known as "Jaroka", its price 50US$ And I am sorry that is not only a sofa, that is a swinging sofa, tomorrow that will complete then I will again post its picture, price of that swing sofa is 500 US $.

Gw
No he is not my friend I just went there for the pictures for DG, price of that table is 140 US $.

Here back side of beds.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay, so if we get a big crate of pretty carved things to fit in with my autorickshaw......

It is like window shopping the world! Love this!

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Such fine detailed work & some excellent photos gumlla.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very, very interesting Kaleem!

blooms, justice for these workers will come! Maybe not in this life but, the next for sure.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I just love that second picture of the table - only $140 US - bet it would sell for far more if in a shop in this country! The artwork is spectacular and so detailed, wonderful pics.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

gumlla, do they rough out the forms with lathe or sander? I ask because much of the native art here in Alaska is rough out with Dremel tools, then finished by hand or with tiny buffing tools. Of course, when they have a demonstration of their art, it is always hand done.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Weezin' LOL ...mustn't let the tourists know that the modern age has reached Alaska...
and I have a feeling it hasn't trickled down to that man with the wonderful [and probably passed down] crafting hands.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Only $140 for that table! GW -- I saw it first! (the computer ate my reply, though)... Now, how am I gonna fit it in my suitcase?

Blooms, dontcha think at least one room of the new condo could be done in sheesham wood like these?

~'spin!~

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I have never seen such beautiful hand carving. I only wish I could buy the bed. Everything is breath taking and indescribely beautiful. Gumlla, Thank You so much for your inspirational photos.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think the bed is beautiful, too. I would not want to dust all those crevices, however!

Very hard work, first these are designed and then did some work with machines but maximum hand work is included.
After polishing now "Jaroka" is ready for the mirror fitting.

Thumbnail by gumlla

Few beautiful chaires are ready for polishing.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, they're beautiful. I would love to have talent like that!

Close up of back side of bed.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The artisan who does these is very good. I have seen headboards similar to these sold for about $5,000 dollars when hand carved in good wood and finished well and imatation, machine made ones for a fraction of that.

The pieces I really liked best though are the chairs. I love wood and am so tired of seeing shody pieces made of veneered particle board being sold as "real" wood furniture here. Such fine pieces as these are much admired throughout the world.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We have a Sheesham wood table we bought in Bermuda about 40 years ago. Beautiful wood.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

gumlla, it is not surprising to me about the craftsmanship there. Similar work is done here too. Yes, it is the same situtation here - the workers are paid 'peanuts' for their art while the owner retains a fat sum of the price. The artist does not get his due in terms of his craft.

Presently, there is a handicrafts exhibition going on - I did see some wonderful pieces of art - though not of wooden furniture.

trois, I think sheesham is rosewood - this is pretty expensive here. But the red variety is cheaper. I have seen some furniture elsewhere and I am just having no words to explain the work of art. I have a few pieces from my great grandfather's time and they are no doubt treasured ones - though not intricately carved with design, but just plain finishes. The smoothness is unbeatable.

This art is known as Mughal art, Mughal family ruled on Sub-continent ( Indo Pak) 300 years. Mughals came from Russian states. They built beautiful forts, gardens and other buildings in their time. Those buildings are still famous and preserved as historical places. So this art is common in Idia and Pakistan.
Here one more picture of master peice.

Thumbnail by gumlla

One more

Thumbnail by gumlla

Dressing table.

Thumbnail by gumlla
Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Whoa,

Absolutely incredible Kaleem. Your friend is very talented indeed. Such beautiful work deserves the attention. Truly beautiful stuff.

best to you,
don

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Kaleem, thank you for sharing this with DG (glad it got moved to this forum). That is amazing work, a very talented craftsman indeed! I appreciate the opportunity to "travel" to Pakistan to see this through your eyes.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2006 7:28 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images