-
AuthorContent
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2001
3:36 AM

Post #6415

June 12th already..so, let's check in and tell about our ponds at this stage of the season. Would be kinda nice to post pictures too over at the Photo forum...hint, hint.

I'll start.

The lilies are blooming like crazy in the pond, which is in dappled shade and surrounded by tall pines. The umbrella palm, cattail, pickeral, thalia, watercress, parrots feather and colocasia are growing well. I just added a peace lily and a couple of white impatiens (bare-root) to the shady waterfall and now I need to get some water hyacinths since they do such a great job with obsorbing nutrients.

The fish are all still present and accounted for with the exception of one of the Orfes. And I have lots of green frogs who like to float on the lily pads...they 'squeak' and jump when I approach.

The water is almost crystal clear, which makes me a happy ponder!!!

(My second pond is almost finished...totally different design from the first..Yea!)

Jean

jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2001
10:46 AM

Post #82748

Hi Jean

We just recently finsished some major "construction" on the ponds, lol. We had both of them raised, and decided to sink them level. It was a chore but it is compelte and looking awsome!

Cattails are growing like crazy, lilies growing ok, but fertilized them 2 days ago, and now that the construction is over can keep them on a better schedule. Parrot feather and pickeral rush and mini cattails all look great. Fish are happy, frog is happy, I'm happy, grin.

Will try to get a pic to post this week. Look forward to seeing everyone elses.

Jody
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2001
11:09 AM

Post #82750

still have pea green soup, but it's getting better. We've had rain almost everyday for 2 or 3 weeks, and it doesn't help. My lilies and plants are doing good, but the hyacinths and water lettuce really want the sun. Only my Attraction lily and the Dauben are blooming, need to see the others! I repotted them all and fed, I keep expecting to see blooms any day:)
I got 5 butterfly koi several weeks ago, and they've double in size already.
I'm working on putting plants into the rock edges, something I wanted to do years ago, and just didn't. Already several sedums are going good there.
I posted an old picture of the pond a few weeks back, when it was in it's glory.
tiG
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2001
3:05 AM

Post #83371

Our pond was pretty clear when it was rainy and overcast, but now that the sun's been out a few days in a row, we have pea soup, too. We have five comet goldfish, three tadpoles and a few apple snails (we took the snails inside over the winter).

The ribbon grass is pluming and the arrowhead is doing great. The water lily looks healthy. Our water iris never did a thing; it's still green, but it's never bloomed. A friend gave us some parrot's feather, which I have in the water but not potted up yet. The single water hyacinth and water lettuce plants I bought are growing more now that it's warm.

I posted some pictures of our pond area:
Summer 2000, 5/25 and 7/3: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/24730.html
This spring, 5/16: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/37113.html
Plants near pond, 5/16:http://davesgarden.com/showthread/37116.html

I have more recent pictures, but not with me. I'll edit and add more later, okay?

This message was edited Thursday, Jun 14th 11:07 PM
TerryN68
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2001
11:52 AM

Post #84235

Starting to empty out! Its sad watching all the fish and plants depart for new homes. On the bright side we found a house to rent in Florida and got permission to install a pond in the backyard. I'm down to 8 fish and very few plants. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

T

Mardell
Carlsbad, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2001
10:05 PM

Post #85249

My pond has only been going for about 6 weeks. I've lost all 4 of my water lettuce and my two water hyacinths are not looking too good. My pond experts now tell me that 3-4 hours of late afternoon sun is not enough to keep them going. They also tell me that two 6" Butterfly Koi and 8 small goldfish are too many for my 80-90 gallon pond, so we're going to set up a 4'x2'x2' stock tank for the goldfish, water hyacinths and my newly acquired wild water lillies. There is so much to learn and I may be learning everything the hard way!! LOL!! But then, those are the lessons you remember the best! Otherwise, I'm proud of my pond and love to watch my fish eat.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2001
3:17 PM

Post #85455

Just yesterday I met tiG and aquired several pond plants from her. Umbrella palm, parrot's feather, arum and tiger canna. Jean I swapped her several datura's. If she wins the contest with my plants I will cry and I mean long and hard.
I keep looking for photo's of the pond's but haven't seen any or am I looking in the wrong place. I know with the added plants that I will love the pond even more. I am thinking about adding several more ponds and connecting them. Any ideas on this? Wonder if it would work and what kind of pump it would require.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2001
9:44 PM

Post #85610

Jim, I hope I can make you cry by winning that contest! Imagine, y'all, this long tall lanky Georgia boy!!

Jim, I posted a picture of my pond from last year on the photo forum about the last week of May, check it out:)
Hope all your new pond plants are loving this heat, I know I am:)
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2001
2:22 AM

Post #85683

Yeah, They love it. Been playing little league baseball and haven't had time to really work with them as I should. Thanks for the compliment calling me lanky and a boy. You want some more datura's don't you?
I found the posting of the pond. It is a real beauty.I love that rock work. Want to help with mine? Jim
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2001
3:04 AM

Post #85707

Now, Jim, you mean you did not have tiG sign a 'no compete' contract? Just kidding of course!! Get out the miracle gro, bug getters, and pamper those plants.This should be a great contest! Would be a shame to see a tall,lanky Georgia boy cry...or, would it? heehee

tiG, your pond is beautiful! How many more do you have? Lucky you.

Jean
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2001
3:34 AM

Post #85722

I've got 4 total, but 2 are brand new, we don't even have the rocks for them yet. But they do have plants in them!! We're thinking about making one of them concrete, so it can be big! The deer ran through one year and busted an expensive liner, and where we want the pond is right in their path. I don't mind if they drink, just don't like losing that liner.
Is anyone else losing water to evaporation like I am, and worrying about the water? We're on a well, and fortunately we've had lots of rain, but the sky sure is drying up now, and I don't like it.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2001
1:41 PM

Post #86463

Jean, I should have had her sign something. Maybe a statement if she won she would have to come and help me with my pond. I could use some expertise in rock placement.
Jean do you have a picture of your pond posted? I'll try to get one of mine soon, however mine is not as nice as those I've seen. It's a work in progress as I guess most of life is. Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America