Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: This 'problem' is driving me nuts!

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 10, Views: 348
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2004
10:47 PM

Post #1012933

For about a week and a half now I've had a problem with the task bar (windows xp home edition) being non-responsive for maybe 3 minutes after the desktop appears (after booting). If you move the mouse to the task bar to click the start button or anything else on the task bar, you just get an hour glass (no mouse pointer with it). It won't let you select anything. I finally figured out there is a process running that's causing this. The thing is, the name of the .exe process that's running seems to change every time! If I do a crtl-alt-delete to get the task manager up, I can kill the process and it's fine from then on. Also, if you let it go for a few minutes, it'll clear up on it's own. It's as if it's thinking about something or doing something. What, I have no idea. I can't find any file on the PC named with the process I'm seeing, no Google search comes up with any info and a virus scan and adaware scan comes up with nothing.

Here are the processes I've seen running so far. It's always easy to figure out which one it is, but like I said, the name changes after every reboot...and I think I've even seen it come back after killing it, with a different name (like it restarted itself).

Only one of these runs at any one time. I wrote these down each time I killed the process.
KZ840E.exe
GK4034.exe
JEF36F.exe
HPA5A3.exe
CUB383.exe
DJ329F.exe
DS7B98.exe
WCD1BB.exe
STFE73.exe
CO9963.exe

Any idea what this is?
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2004
12:02 AM

Post #1013012

You should be able to solve this mystery by checking what programs are set to run at startup.

The first place to check is the startup folders (for current user and default user). Then check the registry HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run key, and the same key under HKCU. You can also check the services list from Control Panel and see if there are any suspicious-looking services.

But there are actually many, many places where startup programs can hide. There is a great shareware script for finding everything that's being run in the background on your computer. It's called "Silent Runners" and is available at http://www.silentrunners.org/
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2004
12:22 AM

Post #1013031

I already checked the 'run' i nthe registry to look for anything out of the ordinary. I recognize everything in there. Also checked the services and can't find anything that is obvious to cause this. The names of the processes I listed above doesn't give me any clue as to where to look. I just ran tha script too...and I don't see anything weird in there. Even if I log off and back on without rebooting, it loads the process. The most recent one was WYCF55.exe. The only common thread is that it's always a 6 character name, followed by .exe Everything in my registry in the run area are things that have been there for awhile...nothing new in there that I see.
Osteole
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2004
5:53 PM

Post #1013813

Hello Jon!

Sounds like an annoying problem. Mine seems to act like this occasionally. I frequently check my start-up programs like you mentioned. Seems like programs are always been added without my authorization. Hopefully someone will be able to make a helpful suggestion.
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2004
6:31 PM

Post #1013859

I'm starting to think it's someting Windows is doing. I can't find anything out of the ordinary that's running...other than this mystery .exe program that changes names every time it runs.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2004
11:40 PM

Post #1015792

Hi, Jon - Does this help? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027

hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #1015912

Hmm...no, I don't think that's it. The taskbar DOES appear, you just can't use it until it's done doing whatever it's doing. I actually saw my laptop has a similar 6 character (random it seems) .exe process running after logging on. So I'm wondering now if it's something else. I don't have the problem on my laptop. I guess maybe I'll figure it out by process of elimination eventually. For now I think I'll just wait a couple minutes after logging on. it's fine after that.
hczone6
Cincinnati (area), OH
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2004
12:48 AM

Post #1015919

Wait..I think THIS is it! http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841571&Product=winxp

I'll give it a try. The description matches exactly!

EDIT:
That must have been it. Taskbar is immediately available now after logging on :)

This message was edited Aug 23, 2004 8:53 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #1015962

Wow - that's great to file away for future use!
davsha
Sydney
Australia

November 1, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4145503

Hi, I realise this is an old thread, but just curious - did the fix also get rid of the weird process names in the task manager? (KZ840E.exe GK4034.exe etc)
We are trying to solve an issue on a client's server where they are seeing exactly the same persistent process with random 6 character names appearing in the process list of Task Manager, and research we have done indicates this is definitely a virus - specifically an internat worm of some kind.

It's hard to get info because the description is so vague, but the most likely possibilities I have found are:
W32/Ronoper-G http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32ronoperg.html
W32/Yaha.c@MM http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_99487.htm

If you are still there, love to hear if the weird process names issue was resolved
kowari
Rottweil
Germany

February 11, 2014
4:24 PM

Post #9767365

the above "processes" look like viruses (viri) to me...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM
Free software heycharlie 8 May 31, 2007 3:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America