Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Anyone know what this is?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2001
11:26 AM

Post #6420

This planted itself in true volunteer fashion. Since I have nothing that even vaguely resembles it I figure it was delivered by a bird. Any ideas what it might be? I assume it to be a flower and not a weed since I have not seen it roadside around here!

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CoCo

June 13, 2001
12:08 PM

Post #82757

I have no idea. Would wait and see if and when it flowers. If you don't like it can always pull it or plant it else where. Sorry I couldn't help. I am anzious to see what the flowers would like tho.
Keep us informed.
eltel
Macclesfield, CHESHIRE
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2001
1:46 PM

Post #82778

Looks a bit like a euphorbia - if you break a leaf off it would exude a milky sap. Otherwise I'm with CoCo - lets see the flower.

El Tel
Gayl
Julian, WV

June 13, 2001
5:50 PM

Post #82867

I dont know for sure what plant it is but looks a lot like one that I was trying to get identified a while back. With the help of some very nice people here I think it is Lysimachia Clethroides (Gooseneck Loosestrife) Still waiting on them to bloom to make a postitive ID.
If you would like to check out the picture I posted to see if it looks like yours here is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/showforumphoto.php?imageid=1253

The picture isnt a real good one (have no idea why all the green tint LOL) but maybe it can help you out.

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2001
6:29 AM

Post #83022

Looks like Oenothera biennis - Common Evening Primrose
The flowers are fragrant and open in the evening. Joy

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/oenotherabien.html
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2001
6:49 AM

Post #83026

It does look a lot like the Oenothera biennis on your link Joy. If it flowers like that I will be very glad I did not let DH mow it down! And it must be pretty tough since it planted itself in almost pure rock soil! I don't want to break anyof it to see if it exudes milky sap since it is just now developing what I think are flower buds.

Joy

Joy
Kalama, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2001
2:44 PM

Post #83105

Zanymuse, Caution! They are very agressive selfsowers. So unless you are wanting to save their seeds, deadhead them.
If you don't, you'll have hundreds of babies throughout your garden. Joy
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2001
3:01 PM

Post #83119

Well if they will self sow in this grassy dry ground along the drive I wont mind in the least! That is if they are indeed the Evening Primrose! All my plants in the area are in large raised beds due to the inhospitable nature of the area. This one planted itself in a bit of soil between a rock and a hard place!

This message was edited Thursday, Jun 14th 11:07 AM
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 24, 2001
6:51 AM

Post #86397

I feel so proud! I have indeed managed to grow a common Evening primrose! And now that it is up and flowering I am going to hope it starts spreading all over the ground along the driveway! I spotted some along the highway about 15 miles away from the house in both Yellow like mine and a bright pink one. Guess I will have to go back and try to get seed from the pink one shortly! Any "weed" this pretty is more than welcome if it will spread its seeds and choke out the other less desireable weeds!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America