Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Herbs: Spikenard - fun for the whole family...

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 3, Views: 749
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pisces

(Zone 4b)

June 13, 2001
12:55 PM

Post #6424

Hi y'all!
I'm new to the herbs forum here at Dave's Garden, but I figured if anyone can help me, it would be you!

I'm really interested in cultivating Spikenard (latin: Nardostachys Jatamansi). I have the essential oil (it's the oil mentioned in the Songs of Solomon, and is the oil which was broken over the feet of Jesus - very mysterious and exotic, dank and wonderful!) but I would like to cultivate the plant. Does anyone have any idea whether or not I would be able to do this indoors? I live in New Brunswick (Eastern Canada), so growing it outside is out of the question. But I'm *hoping* that I can mirror the climate of the Middle East in some remote corner of the apartment, and grow my own Spikenard plants.

Do any of you know anything at all about Spikenard - how it grows, where I could get a plant (or even seeds, for that matter), whether or not it can be grown indoors? I've tried searching the net, but nada. I've only found stuff on the oil.

Thanks guys!
pisces
onecent
Selah, WA
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2001
5:05 PM

Post #82852

Ritchers has a spikenard-aralia racemosa. www.richters.com

Horizon herbs has spikenard roots and seeds and they are aralia californica from the araliaceae family. http://www.chatlink.com?~herbseed

Well-Sweep herb farm has Spikenard-aralia racemosa plants

Hope this helps. Didn't find anything that had Nardostachys
Jatamansi in it. If you ever come a cross some seeds I love to trade with you.

Penny "onecent"
pisces

(Zone 4b)

June 24, 2001
12:48 PM

Post #86449

Hey Penny! Thanks for the info! Have you ever heard of anyone growing Spikenard indoors? If I am able to get the seeds, I'll certainly let you know.

pisces
IANCKERR
Venice, CA

February 16, 2003
4:14 AM

Post #470649

Hi,

I am trying to do what you say YOU were trying to do a couple of years ago...

I DID acquire N. jatamansi from B & T World Seeds, a British company based in France.

They have the MOST spectacular list of species you could hope for (40K entries in their catalog!!)

I planted the seeds indoors about three weeks ago. They
germinated well, but ALL of them have died...I don't know
if they damped-off or if I have some bug on my windowsill!
There is a clean cut in the stem, close to the soil; but NO sign of rot...

I'm going to try again, and will let you know the result.

IAN.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America