Photo by Melody

Soil and Composting: Maximum compost temps in winter?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2004
4:06 PM

Post #1016827

Howdy =)
I was wondering if any of you have experience in composting in winter?

#1 What are the maximum inner temps obtainable in winter? (avg. outdoor temp 25-35° F)
#2 Methods I can use to keep it cooking in cold weather?

I have this bright idea about heating my greenhouse with the compost heat/energy =)
I'm willing to do the extra work to keep it cooking, regular turning, adding extra biomass, microbes etc.

I'm also planning on a rather large compost piles, 10'x10' to 12'x12' to hopefully help insulate the center from the cold.
Possibly digging out some squares in the dirt 2'-3' down for my piles & extract the heat below grade?

Would keeping it covered with a black tarp help?

Thanks a bunch, Greg

This message was edited Aug 24, 2004 9:15 AM
mominem
Ashton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2004
1:55 PM

Post #1018120

I recall reading an article somewhere -maybe it was Organic Gardening mag? about heating a chicken coop with a compost pile. I tried Googling and found this:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/homest/msg09103937779.html
where they discuss putting manure in barrels to provide heat for several weeks at a time,etc.

Eileen
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2004
7:39 PM

Post #1018775

Thanks Eileen!

That sounds like the same basic idea. =)
I envisioned a big steaming compost pile & decided to figure out a way to harness some if it?
I've been dreaming of a geo-thermal well for decades, figured a steaming pile was as close as I am going to get for the time being.
I've been busy searching & reading up on things & it looks like its possible to keep compost cooking all winter, with some work .

I've decided to dig out my sloped compost area about 2-3 ft. down (3 sided from the lowside) to give me a good scoopable base & some bottom insulation.
Build simple insulated tear-down bin walls like these... http://oregonics.com/plans/bin.pdf 8'x8' w/plywood & 1.5" styrofoam roof panels in the centers.
(Here are plans for a good cheap wire pen too... http://oregonics.com/plans/pen.pdf )
Build upper walls/windbreak with straw bales & a black tarp to jumpstart cooking as needed?
I'm going to try a oxygenating/ventilation pipe from the greenhouse into the center of the pile. Besides the oxygenating, it should give a good warming effect to get things cooking also. Then theres my underground cooling/pre-heating pipe & my heating coil pipe in the center of the pile.
I think it'll work? =)
I also saw cinder blocks mentioned as a insulating material?
I like the straw idea though, just yank out my bin walls, pull my vent pipes, scoop out the compost & kick the old bales in for the next batch =)

I'll post some more when I get my blueprints done.

Anyone else tried this kind of thing?

Thanks again =)

cheers

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America