Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Soil and Composting: Maximum compost temps in winter?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2004
4:06 PM

Post #1016827

Howdy =)
I was wondering if any of you have experience in composting in winter?

#1 What are the maximum inner temps obtainable in winter? (avg. outdoor temp 25-35° F)
#2 Methods I can use to keep it cooking in cold weather?

I have this bright idea about heating my greenhouse with the compost heat/energy =)
I'm willing to do the extra work to keep it cooking, regular turning, adding extra biomass, microbes etc.

I'm also planning on a rather large compost piles, 10'x10' to 12'x12' to hopefully help insulate the center from the cold.
Possibly digging out some squares in the dirt 2'-3' down for my piles & extract the heat below grade?

Would keeping it covered with a black tarp help?

Thanks a bunch, Greg

This message was edited Aug 24, 2004 9:15 AM
mominem
Ashton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2004
1:55 PM

Post #1018120

I recall reading an article somewhere -maybe it was Organic Gardening mag? about heating a chicken coop with a compost pile. I tried Googling and found this:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/homest/msg09103937779.html
where they discuss putting manure in barrels to provide heat for several weeks at a time,etc.

Eileen
Oregonics
Tygh Valley, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2004
7:39 PM

Post #1018775

Thanks Eileen!

That sounds like the same basic idea. =)
I envisioned a big steaming compost pile & decided to figure out a way to harness some if it?
I've been dreaming of a geo-thermal well for decades, figured a steaming pile was as close as I am going to get for the time being.
I've been busy searching & reading up on things & it looks like its possible to keep compost cooking all winter, with some work .

I've decided to dig out my sloped compost area about 2-3 ft. down (3 sided from the lowside) to give me a good scoopable base & some bottom insulation.
Build simple insulated tear-down bin walls like these... http://oregonics.com/plans/bin.pdf 8'x8' w/plywood & 1.5" styrofoam roof panels in the centers.
(Here are plans for a good cheap wire pen too... http://oregonics.com/plans/pen.pdf )
Build upper walls/windbreak with straw bales & a black tarp to jumpstart cooking as needed?
I'm going to try a oxygenating/ventilation pipe from the greenhouse into the center of the pile. Besides the oxygenating, it should give a good warming effect to get things cooking also. Then theres my underground cooling/pre-heating pipe & my heating coil pipe in the center of the pile.
I think it'll work? =)
I also saw cinder blocks mentioned as a insulating material?
I like the straw idea though, just yank out my bin walls, pull my vent pipes, scoop out the compost & kick the old bales in for the next batch =)

I'll post some more when I get my blueprints done.

Anyone else tried this kind of thing?

Thanks again =)

cheers

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America