Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Please Help with lilacs

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sari
Saint Helen, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2001
12:47 AM

Post #735

I need help! I am looking at buying some lilac plugs. they are 3-6" tall. I have to buy them in flats of 60 four flats at a time. The cost is $336 for four flats. Before I drop that much money I have some questions. Does anyone know how fast they will grow? How long till they bloom? Success rates? Any other ifo you might have would help!

THIS QUESTION IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE I HAVE EVER ASKED SO PLEASE HELP ME.

Thanks
Sari
Chooch
Chatham-Kent, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2001
1:27 AM

Post #48374

Very slow growing and probably at least 5 years before you get a decent bloom . What is the reason you are yearning for this plant Sari ?? ? Maybe I can give you some better suggestions ??
Rock On !!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2001
1:35 PM

Post #48417

hey sari,
when you come over this spring ;]i have white ones we could dig up! I start a purple baby one about 5yrs ago-its knee high and hasnt bloomed. I did transplant a bunch of white ones last year-about knee high!
Come on OVER!
dori
Have snowball bushes babies also!(under the snow)
eiroberts
Schenevus, NY

January 22, 2001
4:25 PM

Post #48452

when they say lilac plugs, do they mean little things that will grow into lilac trees? Lilacs send off babies from their bottoms. they just keep spreading. Find a neighbor with an old tree, I am sure they'll let you dig one out. In early spring i have actually yanked them out form abandoned places and planted in my yard. They have actually took.
This yr I found an article about grafting brances form a purple to a white(so when they bloom there will be both) I cut the branches,pencil thick,right above a bud. Put them in a plasic bag,in refrigerator.In early spring graft it on. If anyone is intersted send me e mail and I will send the article. I love Lilacs.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

January 22, 2001
5:25 PM

Post #48454

The only thing I can add is when I had lilacs years ago, I always had problems with powdery mildew. I don't know if this is specific to all lilacs or only certain varieties.
Trish
Chooch
Chatham-Kent, ON
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2001
10:09 AM

Post #48543

Dicentra : Powdery mildew is also a big problem in the Great Lakes region but it never seems to affect growth , just appearance . THE BORERS seem to be a more serious problem .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America