Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

PlantFiles Pictures: Pakalana Vine (Telosma cordata)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 26, 2004
3:18 PM

Post #1020116

Pakalana Vine, Tonkin Jasmine, Cowslip Creeper
Telosma cordata

Telosma in bloom.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/60783/

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FNT_SD
San Diego, CA

March 17, 2005
4:45 PM

Post #1344120

Clare...I am new to the Dave's Garden, but I am so impressed with the variety of plants that you have collected! Congratulations...

I live in Kearny Mesa, within but just North of the City of San Diego...the climate is very temperate, but I don't know enough about Zones or plant genus or family names yet to communicate intelligibly with you, but I'm a quick study...

My main interest at the moment is to grow Pakalana in San Diego...Do you know of anyone locally who has been as successful as you?...If so, could you put me in touch with them?...My father and mother were originally from Hawaii, and settled here in 1946...My dad had the magic "Green Thumb", and grew everything from the islands in our back yard in Spring Valley, including Pakalana...

I would like to get some cuttings or seeds, but have not had much luck locating any locally, and have not had much succes talking with the nurseries in Hawaii...Apparently, there is a ban on sending these items to the Mainland...Can you help?...I would gladly pay for the trouble...Please advise.

Mahalo...Francis Todd (619) 379-1226
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2005
6:19 PM

Post #1344350

Mahalo Francis, Thank you for the compliment! There are a few people over at GardenWeb that grow this vine, but I couldn't tell you who they are. If you do a Google search for "Telosma cordata," you should get back some interesting growing links, including the ones from GW. I think you will have no trouble growing this vine in your area. You are probably in Zone 10, where it doesn't freeze, but if you do get down to freezing temperatures in the winter, you can always grow this in a container and bring it inside during the winter. It pretty much goes dormant during the winter anyway unless you can keep it growing in a warm greenhouse. I got mine from Logee's, and I just checked, and they still have it for $10.95. I have purchased a lot of plants from them, and they are wonderful. Here's a link: http://www.logees.com/store/ Royal Palm Enterprises has it too: http://www.rpetropicals.com/ I've ordered from them before too, and they are great. Be sure to look for the scientific name: Telosma cordata. By the way, I've never seen seeds on mine. Welcome to Dave's!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 2 Oct 19, 2014 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America