Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Bee trivia

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2004
11:40 PM

Post #1022591

I was helping my daughter look up information tonight and came across this trivia. I thought it was pretty neat. Thought some of you might like it too. http://www.umt.edu/biology/bees/trivia.htm
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #1023923

"Number of bees equal to the weight of one M&M's plain chocolate candy"

Hah! I better go tell my DD the answer to that one! :>)
PudgyMudpies
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2004
11:49 PM

Post #1024013

Wow! That was very interesting, thanks for posting it. I just emailed the link to my kids.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2004
3:09 AM

Post #1024260

This post's going in the opposite direction, but it's still beezzzz. I have a neighbor with a life-threatening allergy to bee stings. Does anyone know of flowers that are not too attractive to bees? She's gotta have flowers. Annual ones. Low growing, but she's flexible there.

I understand bees especially like blue (I confess that I'm postponing reading above mesmerizing hyperlink -- don't have time right now to get THAT mesmerized). And didn't bee gardens feature flowers in the mint group like sage?

I would appreciate any help,especially since I'm the one that got her outside gardening again. She mainly gardens very early or late in the day to avoid times when beez are buziest. Thanks everyone.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6699831

bumping this one up

Eventually, I did read Mystic's above link on bees and loved it, but now the link is broken. Sooo - for novices to computers and bees, as I once was, here's how to find links like Mystic's again:

In your address bar on any webpage, type http://www.google.com and click on that.

Next, in google's search box, type:

bees + trivia
and hit Enter

All kinds of goodies will come up, but this time, I especially loved:

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/ic/trivia.html

That's a fun page, but then click on Links, for a library of valuable knowledge, and more fun like seeing the world through a bee's eyes, etc.

-----------------------------

I never did find a list of flowers that were least likely to attract bees for my allergic friend. Once, we had a neighbor next door who shared his phone number, as we all did with each other at that time (even though not all of us were free to use listed phone numbers), and he was the one who was home and answered the phone the time she was stung and almost died. He saved her life. Yes, it's essential to keep Benadryl and an epi pen on hand if you have a bee allergy, but when you're going into shock, a helping hand can make all the difference.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6699838

ps - I hope admin will allow this thread to stay in this forum, and am cross-posting its link over to the Bee Forum, so admin hopefully will let it stay here -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/beekeeping/all/

edited to add link

This message was edited Jun 17, 2009 8:21 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America