Hurricane Frances

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

As always, we worry and fret over our friends in the Path of any storm, much less a major storm like Hurricane Frances. Please post all concerns here.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got home to find she's turned again...we really need to keep a close eye on this bad girl. Everyone needs to be prepared, on the coast and inland. Charley sure showed us that...

Stacey, I guess I didn't see the last turn, was on Chat for a bit... what direction?

She sure does look like a Bad Girl, doesn't she? Plus, they are SO unpredictible, even when really close.

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

here ia a link to updated photos
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm6+shtml/312053.shtml?

GagalinFl, the link doesn't work for me.
Got this:
"Not Found
The requested URL /refresh/graphics_astorm6 shtml/312053.shtml was not found on this server."

Apache/2.0.46 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at www.nhc.noaa.gov Port 80

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

http://hurricanetrack.com/Java/westatl.html
Try this one...it updates automatically

Here's a projected map... PLEASE know it's anyone's guess right now and this is just a possible projection!

Thumbnail by darius

Just talked with a cousin in FL. She says the local channels are saying landfall around Jacksonville.

Wouldn't bet MY buns on it yet.

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

New projection this morning. news says the landfall could be anywhere from the Keys up the Treasure coast! Everyone is worried about this storm!

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

If I lived anywhere on Florida's eastern coast, I'd be heading inland.

But perhaps they don't have the low elevations that we do here. I'm ten feet BELOW sea level. It floods here if it rains hard. And I'm surrounded by water on four sides (the Mississippi River, large Lake Pontchartrain, the Intracoastal Waterway, and bayous). Someone throw me a life-preserver! LOL.

Seriously, I hope that the folks in Florida and all those in Frances' possible path take the necessary precautions and come through it safe and sound.

"Run from the water. Hide from the wind."

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

We just had information from the disaster center in Fort Pierce, Saint Lucie County.

All government offices close at 4PM today until further notice.
All schools closed after todays session ends.
Special needs centers open tomorrow, Thursday
Mandatory evacuations possibly start tomorrow, Thursday
Curfew for Fort Pierce Friday 8PM to Saturday 7AM.
Advising people to evacuate inland away from the water within their own counties. If they evacuate from the FL Keys up the roads will be jammed.
They will hold a news conference at 2PM with further details.

This storm is so huge there is really no place to evacuate within the state of Florida. People used to head for the west coast of Florida, but they are still trying to clean up after Charley.

Darius, THANKS for starting this thread! I'm heading out now to look for rope. Have two BIG palms in containers that I will lay down and tie to the chain link fence. My vines have just started growing over the Pergola. Poor babies will have to be cut and secured. The pet crates are ready and my suitcase is packed.....just in case! Haven't had a suitcase packed and sitting by the door since my last babies (twins) were born!!! LOL
Pati

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Our office in West Palm Beach is packing up now in anticipation of evacuation.

Good reporting, Pati.

I hear some people are evacuating to Jacksonville (where I have 2 brothers) but Jax could get it just as easily. I'd be on my way to Memphis or something.

This storm is so huge even inland places may feel the effects.

Just heard from one brother in Jax who lived maybe 1/2 mile from the beach in a low-lying area. They are getting ready.

"We're watching it very closely!

Have plans to bug out towards Tallahassee to Joan's Mother's (in
Greenville FL) if necessary, or maybe to Billy's house in town. We'll
pack up what we can or what we need to attempt to save, legal papers,
computers, TV's, some clothes, etc., and leave only if I really have to!

Getting ready to board up the house, have most of what I need, will
probably start doing so this afternoon and try to finish tomorrow.

I hate this, already had two close misses last month and now this..."

and hurricane season is far from over.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Pati please, please bring your Plumeria in!! And go visit your family in Calgary!! You could always stop by here....it's harvest time on the prairies!!

Everyone take care down there.....go visit an inland state!

My precious Plumie has a spot in the house (and my heart) I just made my final run, I hope, to the bank for money in small bills and to the Vet's for the tranquilizers for the Doxies and TomKitty. That's another thing to remember, get SMALL bills. People won't have a lot of change, and most people can't even make change, they depend on the computer to tell them. And credit cards don't work!

The 2 PM local broadcast didn't have anything too new. Now Gov. Jeb Bush is answering questions. He's doing a good interview, but he has few answers about where people should go. So many shelters were damaged on the west coast by Charley, they are not an option. FEMA has moved in travel trailers to provide shelters, but the hotels are still full. The up side to this is that so much is still in place for Charley, it's available to us as needed. As the power is restored over there, it frees up the generators that FEMA has. The Gov. just said there is a massive amount of ice stored in Lakeland that FEMA will make available to us.

Darius, tell your brother to "Go West, young man, go West!" *grin*
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

You are a stubborn one Pati! ;)

Stubberness is in my English-Irish-Dutch genes. What I didn't get naturally, my late DH who was Pennsylvania Dutch/German taught me! LOL Poor Yankee boy, he never understood that he really didn't stand a chance against a Southern Lady with those genes, bless his little heart. *grin*
Pati

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm with you Pati, I'm totally intractable and that's one of my good points. LOL
On the other hand I believe I'd get out of the way of a class 4 hurricane.
Just don't be in your car when the winds start picking up - you be wherever you're staying! How're things in Sebring these days? full up? Time's getting short.
~Blooms

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Our news says it could be a Catagory 5......Calgary looks mighty good right now and I'm positive it's cooler there!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking of you, Pati. Take care of yourself.

Remember how quickly Charley escalated just before landfall... AND changed direction.

Prayers for all in whatever path this storm takes.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

We are thinking of each and everyone of you down there. My in-laws live in Rockledge/Cocoa Beach area. They are right on the Indian River and don't want to leave.... We are trying to get them to head to my brother in law's house in Tampa. So far, they aren't budging.
Prayers going out to all of you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Darius, I hope you don't mind, but I didn't want anyone to miss everyone's concerns about Francis, so I linked this thread over to the new "weather" forum--just in case someone is looking there.

Thanks. I had asked Dave earlier to just move the thread but maybe it's betterto have a link there too.

For Charley, I took some time and looked up Subscribers in the landfall path of Charley. Can't do that here until landfall is more certain (as if weather can ever be certain).

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Boy Frances is Much More Dangerous than Charley Was.
It's Hitting Now 145mph(Sustained Winds) Over the Southern Tips of the Bahamas.
I Have a Neighbor Who is a Ham Radio Operator.
I've Been There All Evening...Boy He Has the Connections and...
Tunes Right In and Can Pick-Up Messages and Information Around the Hurricane.

Things Sound Like They're Getting Worse.
Abraham's Town on the Bahamas Were Getting Pounded.
I Just Left Next Door after Midnight(pst)...and the Winds Were Hitting at 145mph(Sustained Winds) with Gusts at Times of 160+...Catagory 4!
This is as Strong as Andrew! And the Winds are Picking Up.
And They are Saying on the Weather Channel that...
"This is a Killer"!
I Will be Glued to the TV and...
The Seat by My Friends Ham Radio Again for Frances.

As in My Last Postings with Charley...I Have a Neice Who is in Central Florida...North of Orlando.
And 'Now' a Sister and Brother-In-Law Just Moved South...of Jax.

I'm Waiting for an E-Mail from My Neice in Casselberry. She E-Mailed Photo's of Damage in Their Neighborhood. There Was Alot of Trees Down and People She Said Had 'Not' Really Started Cleaning Things Up.
And Now if These Winds Hit With All the Mess and Debris on the Ground Everywhere...Can You Imagine Those Branches and Junk Flying...That Will Add Missiles/Flying Projectiles to the Wind.

I'll Be Watching This Thread...and Praying for All of You Along the Eastern Florida Coast.
If You Live on the Eastern Coast...Take Warning and...
If They Say Leave...."LEAVE"!

And I Did Want to Add...
Even Tho With the Hurricane Merging on You.
"Happy Birthday Pati!"
I Know You Won't Be Celebrating.
But You Are in My Thoughts and Prayers.

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

If any of you need a place to stay in NC, you are welcome here. We don't have much, but will share our home.
We are right outside Charlotte right off I-85. Our # is 704 829-7428. Robert and Jay Woody.

Jay

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

ooohhhhh, I hate hurricanes!!

Looks like I'm spending today & tomorrow packing up again!!
The new projected path has Frances making landfall a little further south than originally estimated, which also brings it right up through Citrus County...and it looks like it will still be hurricane strength when it reaches there, not as strong as when it makes landfall, but enough to do some serious damage.

Since we're in a mobile, needless to say, we won't be staying here, but our niece has a nice concrete block house a little further south of us, so we'll be taking what we can and staying there tomorrow night until this one is gone...so, as of tomorrow afternoon/evening, I'll probably be offline until things are restored.

My prayers going out to all who may be in Frances' path. Please take care of yourselves and don't underestimate the power of this 'killer'

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

What a gracious offer smooth :)

ZZ - the ham operators will surely be a lifeline through all this; we just read this from a news blurb:

Ham radio operators are preparing to provide a backup communications network if it is needed, said Louis Delannoy, a Martin County telecommunications technician. They will be able connect all the emergency shelters, the hospitals, the Red Cross, sheriff’s offices, police departments and Emergency Operations Centers.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

A bad looking storm....batten down the hatches and get out!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I hate hurricanes too! I am not sure if it will go pass across FLA? toward to the Gulf? We lives 26 miles to the shores..

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Mini, doesn't look like it will hit the gulf at this time...I live 6 blocks from water.....

ZZTOPSOIL (I love that name!),

If possible, would you ask your neighbor for a few frequencies where I might listen?

I haven't fired up the ol' Yaesu in a while because my DH is currently replacing the push-up pole with a new tower, but that should be up shortly. Thank you.

My thoughts and prayers are focusing on the folks in Florida who may be in harm's way, and hope that all of you fare well with Frances' passing. Keep safe.

Jean

Here's the 5AM Thursday (9-2) map of the 5 day projection. It has moved westward from yesterday's 5 day projection, and may yet move more to the west. I think

Thumbnail by darius

Darius, looks like in addition to the folks in Florida, you and I might get a scare out of this bad girl also. I have been up all night working on my WX pages, adding pertinent imagery. I can't stop watching Frances -- like a train wreck about to happen. Sure hope she loses some of her whallop, but she's strengthened since yesterday. Drat!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

My heart goes out to all in the path of this bad girl. Please, everyone in the area,be safe. This is going to be really nasty, yall have been through so much this season. My prayers are with yall.

Jean, I think you may be right. Sure wish I had access to the FSU Superensemble data.

Darius, I Googled FSU Superensemble, and evidently it is a model that is not being publicized outside of lab- or research-related fields. I'll have to read more on that. I don't have much confidence in forecast models, but this is something new.

I revised my 'Lastest Information' WX page so that I could see what I wanted to look at in a central location, for my own reference. You might find it useful in watching Frances. If you get a chance to look, would you let me know what improvements might be helpful? Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_latestinfo.htm?mtbrand=AOL_US

Jean

Yesterday the Saint Lucie County EOE ordered the voluntary evauation of the ENTIRE county. Everybody was so confused, this had never been done before. Of course the mandatory evecuations start at 2PM today. The explanation that was given for the day ahead voluntary evacuation was to get people on the road before they becamed jammed. Well, he made a good call. The local station just had the 11AM update and they have moved the landfall a little further South....Saint Lucie County (Fort Pierce) and Indian River County (Vero Beach) Ft Pierce and Vero are 20 miles apart. We just went under Hurricane warning, which also includes Lake Okeechobee. The 1926 hurricane breached the dikes and hundreds were drowned. They have greatly improved since then, but they still want people out of the flood areas. I'm still dealing with the container plants, but it looks like they will all have to go to the county dump today. I sure hate to loose my pots, but no place to store them all. I have room for just a few favorites. In hurricane Andrew I had a Cherry Hedge 12' tall and 5' thick around 3 sides of my property. I put all of my containers deep under the hedge, and they came through a little battered but intact. The hedge was also full of debris that would have hit my house. Wish I had it here!
Pati

Pati, does that mean you will evacuate?

If so, I'd put all my container plants on every square foot of the house rather than the county dump. Frances still may take another track.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images