darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2004
11:10 PM

Post #1028760

As always, we worry and fret over our friends in the Path of any storm, much less a major storm like Hurricane Frances. Please post all concerns here.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2004
12:02 AM

Post #1028816

I just got home to find she's turned again...we really need to keep a close eye on this bad girl. Everyone needs to be prepared, on the coast and inland. Charley sure showed us that...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
12:31 AM

Post #1028849

Stacey, I guess I didn't see the last turn, was on Chat for a bit... what direction?

She sure does look like a Bad Girl, doesn't she? Plus, they are SO unpredictible, even when really close.
Melba_Ga
Commerce, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2004
12:52 AM

Post #1028879

here ia a link to updated photos
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm6 shtml/312053.shtml?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
1:00 AM

Post #1028898

GagalinFl, the link doesn't work for me.
Got this:
"Not Found
The requested URL /refresh/graphics_astorm6 shtml/312053.shtml was not found on this server."

Apache/2.0.46 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov Port 80
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2004
1:02 AM

Post #1028902

http://hurricanetrack.com/Java/westatl.html
Try this one...it updates automatically

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
1:03 AM

Post #1028903

Here's a projected map... PLEASE know it's anyone's guess right now and this is just a possible projection!

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
1:28 AM

Post #1028937

Just talked with a cousin in FL. She says the local channels are saying landfall around Jacksonville.

Wouldn't bet MY buns on it yet.
Melba_Ga
Commerce, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2004
10:26 AM

Post #1029392

New projection this morning. news says the landfall could be anywhere from the Keys up the Treasure coast! Everyone is worried about this storm!
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2004
10:35 AM

Post #1029399

If I lived anywhere on Florida's eastern coast, I'd be heading inland.

But perhaps they don't have the low elevations that we do here. I'm ten feet BELOW sea level. It floods here if it rains hard. And I'm surrounded by water on four sides (the Mississippi River, large Lake Pontchartrain, the Intracoastal Waterway, and bayous). Someone throw me a life-preserver! LOL.

Seriously, I hope that the folks in Florida and all those in Frances' possible path take the necessary precautions and come through it safe and sound.

"Run from the water. Hide from the wind."
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2004
5:08 PM

Post #1029998

We just had information from the disaster center in Fort Pierce, Saint Lucie County.

All government offices close at 4PM today until further notice.
All schools closed after todays session ends.
Special needs centers open tomorrow, Thursday
Mandatory evacuations possibly start tomorrow, Thursday
Curfew for Fort Pierce Friday 8PM to Saturday 7AM.
Advising people to evacuate inland away from the water within their own counties. If they evacuate from the FL Keys up the roads will be jammed.
They will hold a news conference at 2PM with further details.

This storm is so huge there is really no place to evacuate within the state of Florida. People used to head for the west coast of Florida, but they are still trying to clean up after Charley.

Darius, THANKS for starting this thread! I'm heading out now to look for rope. Have two BIG palms in containers that I will lay down and tie to the chain link fence. My vines have just started growing over the Pergola. Poor babies will have to be cut and secured. The pet crates are ready and my suitcase is packed...just in case! Haven't had a suitcase packed and sitting by the door since my last babies (twins) were born!!! LOL
Pati
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2004
5:23 PM

Post #1030016

Our office in West Palm Beach is packing up now in anticipation of evacuation.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
5:28 PM

Post #1030030

Good reporting, Pati.

I hear some people are evacuating to Jacksonville (where I have 2 brothers) but Jax could get it just as easily. I'd be on my way to Memphis or something.

This storm is so huge even inland places may feel the effects.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
5:40 PM

Post #1030048

Just heard from one brother in Jax who lived maybe 1/2 mile from the beach in a low-lying area. They are getting ready.

"We're watching it very closely!

Have plans to bug out towards Tallahassee to Joan's Mother's (in
Greenville FL) if necessary, or maybe to Billy's house in town. We'll
pack up what we can or what we need to attempt to save, legal papers,
computers, TV's, some clothes, etc., and leave only if I really have to!

Getting ready to board up the house, have most of what I need, will
probably start doing so this afternoon and try to finish tomorrow.

I hate this, already had two close misses last month and now this..."

and hurricane season is far from over.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2004
5:44 PM

Post #1030055

Pati please, please bring your Plumeria in!! And go visit your family in Calgary!! You could always stop by here...it's harvest time on the prairies!!

Everyone take care down there...go visit an inland state!

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2004
6:55 PM

Post #1030178

My precious Plumie has a spot in the house (and my heart) I just made my final run, I hope, to the bank for money in small bills and to the Vet's for the tranquilizers for the Doxies and TomKitty. That's another thing to remember, get SMALL bills. People won't have a lot of change, and most people can't even make change, they depend on the computer to tell them. And credit cards don't work!

The 2 PM local broadcast didn't have anything too new. Now Gov. Jeb Bush is answering questions. He's doing a good interview, but he has few answers about where people should go. So many shelters were damaged on the west coast by Charley, they are not an option. FEMA has moved in travel trailers to provide shelters, but the hotels are still full. The up side to this is that so much is still in place for Charley, it's available to us as needed. As the power is restored over there, it frees up the generators that FEMA has. The Gov. just said there is a massive amount of ice stored in Lakeland that FEMA will make available to us.

Darius, tell your brother to "Go West, young man, go West!" *grin*
Pati

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2004
6:59 PM

Post #1030186

You are a stubborn one Pati! ;)
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 1, 2004
7:16 PM

Post #1030216

Stubberness is in my English-Irish-Dutch genes. What I didn't get naturally, my late DH who was Pennsylvania Dutch/German taught me! LOL Poor Yankee boy, he never understood that he really didn't stand a chance against a Southern Lady with those genes, bless his little heart. *grin*
Pati
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2004
7:43 PM

Post #1030263

I'm with you Pati, I'm totally intractable and that's one of my good points. LOL
On the other hand I believe I'd get out of the way of a class 4 hurricane.
Just don't be in your car when the winds start picking up - you be wherever you're staying! How're things in Sebring these days? full up? Time's getting short.
~Blooms

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2004
7:45 PM

Post #1030268

Our news says it could be a Catagory 5...Calgary looks mighty good right now and I'm positive it's cooler there!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2004
8:06 PM

Post #1030304

I'm thinking of you, Pati. Take care of yourself.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2004
8:10 PM

Post #1030311

Remember how quickly Charley escalated just before landfall... AND changed direction.

Prayers for all in whatever path this storm takes.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2004
10:55 PM

Post #1030542

We are thinking of each and everyone of you down there. My in-laws live in Rockledge/Cocoa Beach area. They are right on the Indian River and don't want to leave... We are trying to get them to head to my brother in law's house in Tampa. So far, they aren't budging.
Prayers going out to all of you.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2004
1:16 AM

Post #1030725

Darius, I hope you don't mind, but I didn't want anyone to miss everyone's concerns about Francis, so I linked this thread over to the new "weather" forum--just in case someone is looking there.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
1:20 AM

Post #1030731

Thanks. I had asked Dave earlier to just move the thread but maybe it's betterto have a link there too.

For Charley, I took some time and looked up Subscribers in the landfall path of Charley. Can't do that here until landfall is more certain (as if weather can ever be certain).
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004
8:25 AM

Post #1031138

Boy Frances is Much More Dangerous than Charley Was.
It's Hitting Now 145mph(Sustained Winds) Over the Southern Tips of the Bahamas.
I Have a Neighbor Who is a Ham Radio Operator.
I've Been There All Evening...Boy He Has the Connections and...
Tunes Right In and Can Pick-Up Messages and Information Around the Hurricane.

Things Sound Like They're Getting Worse.
Abraham's Town on the Bahamas Were Getting Pounded.
I Just Left Next Door after Midnight(pst)...and the Winds Were Hitting at 145mph(Sustained Winds) with Gusts at Times of 160+...Catagory 4!
This is as Strong as Andrew! And the Winds are Picking Up.
And They are Saying on the Weather Channel that...
"This is a Killer"!
I Will be Glued to the TV and...
The Seat by My Friends Ham Radio Again for Frances.

As in My Last Postings with Charley...I Have a Neice Who is in Central Florida...North of Orlando.
And 'Now' a Sister and Brother-In-Law Just Moved South...of Jax.

I'm Waiting for an E-Mail from My Neice in Casselberry. She E-Mailed Photo's of Damage in Their Neighborhood. There Was Alot of Trees Down and People She Said Had 'Not' Really Started Cleaning Things Up.
And Now if These Winds Hit With All the Mess and Debris on the Ground Everywhere...Can You Imagine Those Branches and Junk Flying...That Will Add Missiles/Flying Projectiles to the Wind.

I'll Be Watching This Thread...and Praying for All of You Along the Eastern Florida Coast.
If You Live on the Eastern Coast...Take Warning and...
If They Say Leave..."LEAVE"!

And I Did Want to Add...
Even Tho With the Hurricane Merging on You.
"Happy Birthday Pati!"
I Know You Won't Be Celebrating.
But You Are in My Thoughts and Prayers.
smooth
Belmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
9:46 AM

Post #1031160

If any of you need a place to stay in NC, you are welcome here. We don't have much, but will share our home.
We are right outside Charlotte right off I-85. Our # is 704 829-7428. Robert and Jay Woody.

Jay

BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
10:21 AM

Post #1031172

ooohhhhh, I hate hurricanes!!

Looks like I'm spending today & tomorrow packing up again!!
The new projected path has Frances making landfall a little further south than originally estimated, which also brings it right up through Citrus County...and it looks like it will still be hurricane strength when it reaches there, not as strong as when it makes landfall, but enough to do some serious damage.

Since we're in a mobile, needless to say, we won't be staying here, but our niece has a nice concrete block house a little further south of us, so we'll be taking what we can and staying there tomorrow night until this one is gone...so, as of tomorrow afternoon/evening, I'll probably be offline until things are restored.

My prayers going out to all who may be in Frances' path. Please take care of yourselves and don't underestimate the power of this 'killer'
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2004
11:49 AM

Post #1031209

What a gracious offer smooth :)

ZZ - the ham operators will surely be a lifeline through all this; we just read this from a news blurb:

Ham radio operators are preparing to provide a backup communications network if it is needed, said Louis Delannoy, a Martin County telecommunications technician. They will be able connect all the emergency shelters, the hospitals, the Red Cross, sheriff’s offices, police departments and Emergency Operations Centers.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004
12:09 PM

Post #1031224

A bad looking storm...batten down the hatches and get out!
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
12:12 PM

Post #1031227

I hate hurricanes too! I am not sure if it will go pass across FLA? toward to the Gulf? We lives 26 miles to the shores..
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004
12:13 PM

Post #1031230

Mini, doesn't look like it will hit the gulf at this time...I live 6 blocks from water...
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
12:26 PM

Post #1031240

ZZTOPSOIL (I love that name!),

If possible, would you ask your neighbor for a few frequencies where I might listen?

I haven't fired up the ol' Yaesu in a while because my DH is currently replacing the push-up pole with a new tower, but that should be up shortly. Thank you.

My thoughts and prayers are focusing on the folks in Florida who may be in harm's way, and hope that all of you fare well with Frances' passing. Keep safe.

Jean

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
12:27 PM

Post #1031242

Here's the 5AM Thursday (9-2) map of the 5 day projection. It has moved westward from yesterday's 5 day projection, and may yet move more to the west. I think

Thumbnail by darius

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
12:42 PM

Post #1031253

Darius, looks like in addition to the folks in Florida, you and I might get a scare out of this bad girl also. I have been up all night working on my WX pages, adding pertinent imagery. I can't stop watching Frances -- like a train wreck about to happen. Sure hope she loses some of her whallop, but she's strengthened since yesterday. Drat!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2004
12:49 PM

Post #1031266

My heart goes out to all in the path of this bad girl. Please, everyone in the area,be safe. This is going to be really nasty, yall have been through so much this season. My prayers are with yall.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
1:01 PM

Post #1031282

Jean, I think you may be right. Sure wish I had access to the FSU Superensemble data.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
1:15 PM

Post #1031292

Darius, I Googled FSU Superensemble, and evidently it is a model that is not being publicized outside of lab- or research-related fields. I'll have to read more on that. I don't have much confidence in forecast models, but this is something new.

I revised my 'Lastest Information' WX page so that I could see what I wanted to look at in a central location, for my own reference. You might find it useful in watching Frances. If you get a chance to look, would you let me know what improvements might be helpful? Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_latestinfo.htm?mtbrand=AOL_US

Jean
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004
3:40 PM

Post #1031609

Yesterday the Saint Lucie County EOE ordered the voluntary evauation of the ENTIRE county. Everybody was so confused, this had never been done before. Of course the mandatory evecuations start at 2PM today. The explanation that was given for the day ahead voluntary evacuation was to get people on the road before they becamed jammed. Well, he made a good call. The local station just had the 11AM update and they have moved the landfall a little further South...Saint Lucie County (Fort Pierce) and Indian River County (Vero Beach) Ft Pierce and Vero are 20 miles apart. We just went under Hurricane warning, which also includes Lake Okeechobee. The 1926 hurricane breached the dikes and hundreds were drowned. They have greatly improved since then, but they still want people out of the flood areas. I'm still dealing with the container plants, but it looks like they will all have to go to the county dump today. I sure hate to loose my pots, but no place to store them all. I have room for just a few favorites. In hurricane Andrew I had a Cherry Hedge 12' tall and 5' thick around 3 sides of my property. I put all of my containers deep under the hedge, and they came through a little battered but intact. The hedge was also full of debris that would have hit my house. Wish I had it here!
Pati

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
3:45 PM

Post #1031620

Pati, does that mean you will evacuate?

If so, I'd put all my container plants on every square foot of the house rather than the county dump. Frances still may take another track.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2004
3:52 PM

Post #1031634

Pati, the dump does sound like a last resort... I'm with Darius, if you're going to take the time to do anything with them - sit 'em inside. Then get outta there girl into that concrete block structure. PLEASE
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
3:55 PM

Post #1031637

Good advice, darius. Pati, do as darius suggests and please evacuate, ok?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
3:57 PM

Post #1031641

Man, I can't believe this! They just ordered the mandatory evacuation of all 320,000 people from the entire city of Miami Beach. Where will they all go?
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
4:08 PM

Post #1031649

Hopefully all of them will find a safe spot, somewhere out of the path & danger of Hurricane Frances. They are talking about opening a lot of buildings that are not normally designated as shelters (i.e. gov't buildings, etc).

Pati, be safe and know our prayers are with you that you and your loved ones will come through this safely with as little property loss as possible.

They're still talking about two high pressure systems, one in the Gulf & one in the Atlantic that might possibly affect Frances' track, but still too soon to know for sure.

The next couple of days will just have to be prepare, then wait & see.

Any of our other DGers in the projected path?
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004
4:21 PM

Post #1031668

THANKS for your concern. I hope you don't get tired of me posting long, rambling messages, but really I'm just kinda' thinking out loud.
I won't be evacuating, one reason is we have been informed that there is no place in Florida that is not going to take hit, some harder than others. I will evacuate up three steps and through the door into my son's CBS house. *grin*. He flew in Wed to board up, so we are as ready as we can be. We have five adults, 1 HUGE German Shepard, 2 kitties and two birds joining us. They have all evacuated from the barrier island. Now that is in addition to myself, my son, two mini-Dachshunds and one VERY large tom cat.! As you can see, there is no room for plants inside. I have a few favorites that will go into a very crowded storage shed along with all the yard furniture. Another thing, for you who don't live in Florida, all plants have resident lizzards, frogs, bugs, ants etc. that live in the containers. They tend to come out at night to eat each other, and I'm sure the dogs would immediately become mighty hunters! LOL If I have to sacrifice my plants I only have to remember that our "Spring" planting time (October) is just around the corner. I will get to plant all new plants...how bad is that? *grin*
Pati
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
4:31 PM

Post #1031683

Pati,
I love your positive attitude!!

Best of luck to you
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
4:35 PM

Post #1031687

Pati, since you are determined to stick it out, please post often and long/"rambling!"
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2004
4:38 PM

Post #1031690

You just keep doing what's next hunh Pati? And is it really your birthday? Sounds like you'll have quite the party ... can see there's no room for plants [with or without hitchiking critters]. Hang on. ~Blooms
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2004
4:39 PM

Post #1031691

Yay, ham operators! Take care, all our Florida friends - we're thinking of you. Send updates *if you can*.

Shannon VE2SPK
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
4:42 PM

Post #1031694

spklatt, can you help keep us here at DG updated/informed?
Carol7

(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
5:02 PM

Post #1031716

Patischell, I am going to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Isabel was scary for me last year and I can only imagine how you must be feeling, so go ahead and ramble on as long or as often as you want. I'm sure no one here minds a bit! Don't worry about the plants - they can be always replaced and there are alot of generous folks here. In fact, I was in awe at the kindness shown to me by folks I didn't even know that well. I saw your post in the pet forum and was wondering did you find a pet carrier?
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2004
5:11 PM

Post #1031724

imway2dumb, I'm a long way from Florida but I will sure fire up the set tonight and see what I can find out from my fellow hams! In terms of up-to-date info, I'll try to keep up with CNN and the weather network :-)

Best wishes to all people, plants & animals bracing for the storm. Our thoughts are with you.

Cheers,
Shannon
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
5:14 PM

Post #1031732

Great! Thanks!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
5:33 PM

Post #1031766

I'm watching it too! Who was it that said run to the middle of the state? And didn't people over on the west coast do that with Charley? and Charley chased them in.

No place to run no place to hide. Best thing, batten down the hatches, hunker down and wait it out. And pray.

BTW, "Frances" female? or "Francis" female? They've been rotating male to female on these storms and I can't remember how you spell the masculine Frances.

:^0
Molly

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
5:38 PM

Post #1031772

Wondered about that too.
Amaryllisgal
High Springs, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
5:55 PM

Post #1031791

Female = Frances, Male = Francis

Remember it this way: Her has an "e", His has an "i"

Of course, there are no absolutes when dealing with proper names!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2004
5:57 PM

Post #1031796

Yeah, but which one is this hurricane?
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004
6:00 PM

Post #1031798

This Frances would be Female :-)

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2004
6:00 PM

Post #1031799

Frances - female
Francis - male
Hurricane by any name - female

Looks like we're in for another long couple of days of weather watches. You're right about nowhere to go but inland...anything though is better than staying right on the coast. This storm is so big most of Florida will be impacted. We're looking at the eye passing wihin 20-30 miles of our home (on the present track) so we'll just hunker down in a safe area and pray. We'll spend this afternoon bringing in plants, at least everything else is still picked up from Charley.

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
6:01 PM

Post #1031802

FEMALE! :-d
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004
6:05 PM

Post #1031807

It's Frances..she, and Francis..he! Somebody said on the TV that Frances was Charley's big sister...with an attitude! LOL

Carol17, yes, I found a pet carrier. I have it sitting open by my 'puter and every now and then throw a little treat in it so they will get used to it before they have to go in tomorrow. They haven't been in a carrier since I brought them home from the breeder's. So far Rocky has ventured in to get his treat, Rosey is laying on my feet under the "puter, still a little shy. Now, when it comes time to put 24 pound TomKitty in his, I will get out my heavy welding gloves and just stuff him in. He won't be easy, he remembers trips to the Vet's office in his carrier! LOL Right now he's sitting by the pool supervising the installation of plywood over the glass doors.

I would like to point out how special I am...not everybody gets a hurricane for their birthday!
Pati

Pati
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004

Post #1031808

Hugs & Prayers to all in the path of Frances.

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004
6:07 PM

Post #1031809

Darius, are you going to slide off the mountain this storm? What do you hear up there?
Pati
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
6:12 PM

Post #1031814

Happy birthday, Pati!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 2, 2004
6:27 PM

Post #1031832

Happy Birthday Pati! :D May Frances give you only gentle bumps!!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2004
6:36 PM

Post #1031842

I don't know about all animals, but I know this...

During hurricane Andrew, we had to leave our home on the beach and go inland. Took the birds in their travel cages to a house that had cats. All through the storm the bird cages were on the floor and the cats were snuggled right up to their cages. No attacking or anything, just waiting through the storm.

They acted a better than people. I just wanted to sleep...

Molly

Pati, be careful now, I will be thinking of you and all others in the path.
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2004
7:08 PM

Post #1031880

Pati, this will be a birthday that you never forget. They are calling for the rains to eventually make their way up here - but it's too soon to know how strong it will remain as it moves across land. Take care and we'll all be praying for you. Nat
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
8:05 PM

Post #1031966

Pati...Happy B'Day. Keep us informed of how things are going, and as soon as possible afterwards, we'll be looking to find out how you fared.

Molly, stay safe.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
8:13 PM

Post #1031979

Pati, we don't hear much on the news, just the weather channel spots. If Florida doesn't diffuse the storm, though, we may slide off the mountain, LOL.

Can you believe there are TWO more storms in the pipeline?
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2004
8:29 PM

Post #1032005

Pati - Happy Birthday to you! We're praying for all of you down there!

Here's a link - it's local news. You have to register to read the stories, but it's free and has some good info on shelter, pets, etc.

http://www.tcpalm.com
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
8:55 PM

Post #1032031

Here's another link with quite a bit of info, such as what to expect in the different counties as Frances moves inland, etc...

http://www.wesh.com/index.html
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 2, 2004
9:06 PM

Post #1032044

Thanks! Much better than the link I posted :)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004

Post #1032046

Male or female? All of the blowhards I ever knew where male. ;-)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
9:12 PM

Post #1032053

Sexist! LOL
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
9:34 PM

Post #1032083

I see that some people in Florida are responding to the emergency situation with their usual degree of maturity, and the spirit of brotherhood. Temper tantrums at the Home Depots, and semi drivers stopping evacuation traffic to have a fistfight. One was quoted by the cop as stating, "He hit me first!"

Human Nature.
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2004
9:35 PM

Post #1032084

nope - this one's a gal -they've been alternating male/female names through the alphabet.
prayers that everyone in her path are safe
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 2, 2004
9:50 PM

Post #1032098

I've always wondered why people who live in hurricane-prone areas don't already have a stash of plywood on hand at home. I know I would, but then I am probably only one of about 3 people who actually have bottled water set aside in the event of an earthquake.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
9:50 PM

Post #1032099

Earlier, Patischell mentioned she had been in every Florida hurricane for XX years (I forget how many she said).

So this afternoon to ease the tension over worries about many friends and a LOT of family on the FL east coast, I did some research on the ones I've been in directly in the path of landfall or within a few miles. (Miami, before I moved away.) SO glad I moved, I've had my share!

1945, #9 (before they named them), Cat4
1946, #5, Cat4
1950, King, Cat3
1960, Donna, Cat5, 5th strongest hurricane to hit the US on record
1962, Alma, Cat2

Plus after moving away, we had terrific flooding in western NC from David, Cat5 (but not here!) in 1979, and Opal in 1995. Opal made landfall at Pensacola as a Cat3 and had a storm surge of 10-20 feet in parts of the Florida panhandle.

MiniSchnuz posted a very incredible photo from Andrew here:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454217/
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2004
10:00 PM

Post #1032114

Darius, I was living in NC in 1979 when David came through. We were stationed at Camp Lejeune and it was terrifying. I remember the damage was devastating about 30 miles south of us in Wilmington. I was at home with 2 children age 1 1/2 and 3 months and was alone, no car...no phone, no friends. We lived in an apartment that had many many windows, so barracaded us with the kitchen table and sofa in a corner until my husband could get home...Then he was little help..!!! (not with him anymore anyhow :) ) It was frightening and I remember the winds being about 80 miles an hour when it hit us and the rain!!! oh my, the rain...

I wish all in Frances' path good luck and peace. Prayers going from here to all, my nephew lives in Clairmont, right in the path!

:) Kathy
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 2, 2004
10:06 PM

Post #1032124

I'm at the University and Getting Ready to Go Home.
Our Weather Station Has Been Announcing Over the Intercom System in Our Building the Statistics of Frances.

The Eye is Directly Over San Salvadore...A Direct Hit!
Winds at 100mph...Sustaining Winds for 21 Minutes.
Moving at 12mph.
Still Catagory 4 Hurricane.
(Seems to Have Gotten Alot Weaker and Slower).
Or...Maybe the Eye is Not Over San Salvadore Now.

Just Heard Over the Radio Here in My Office...
Did Everyone Know that Buildings in the Bahamas Have Been Built...And Have to be Built...to Withstand 125mph Winds.
Guess it Will Be Raised After Frances.

I'll Post Some More When I Get to My Neighbors and His Ham Radio.
Things Should Be Interesting as it Approaches the Larger and More Populated Islands of the Bahamas...Nassau.

And if You Haven't Seen the Headlines of the Palm Beach Newspapers...
The Headlines of All in Red is...EVACUATE!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
10:08 PM

Post #1032126

ZZTop, looking forward to your ham radio reports!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2004
10:20 PM

Post #1032136

edited because too silly given this thread's context - Bluespiral thought Darius had asked members to share past hurricane stories to get folks' minds off difficulties posed by Frances, but perhaps she misinterpreted.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2004 12:18 PM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
10:31 PM

Post #1032144

At 12:11pm above, spklatt will also be cranking up the shortwave (call sign VE2SPK) to keep us informed as well.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 2, 2004
10:50 PM

Post #1032178

Sure wish these two threads were in the same place... Hurricane Francis (on the Weather Forum) and this one, Hurricane Frances, which was supposed to be moved to the Weather Forum overnight but is still in the Parking Lot. Beeasier than double posting... each thread has different people watching.
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2004
10:57 PM

Post #1032188

Frances has slowed and weakened some, although they are saying that the conditions could change again. It is still possible though that she may weaken down to a 3 or possibly even a 2, due to some kind of front that is currently moving toward her from the GA/FL border area. Let's pray that she does weaken that much...that would mean not as much damage to the coastal areas that are hit, and much, much less inland damage.

I'm really surprised that here in Citrus County they have not closed schools for tomorrow. I would think that even though we are not (as yet) in much threat from Frances, that with the number of people being evacuated from the east coast, that they would do so in order to provide shelters for some of these people.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2004
11:05 PM

Post #1032203

darius, can threads be merged? Is it technically doable?
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 2, 2004
11:25 PM

Post #1032223

Has anyone actually asked Dave?

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #1032312

Darius, How safe is a "low, sturdy house" 30 miles from the coast at Miami? That's where my niece is. I don't know the area at all. My sister says it is a part of Miami not under mandatory evacuation right now. I'm not expressing my worry to her because staying optimistic under these circumstances is hard enough, but I appreciate any information you folks can share with me.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
1:23 AM

Post #1032350

Bluespiral, that sounds like a fairly safe bet. Low and sturdy is always good, assuming that's an accurate assesment.

The Dade County building codes were really beefed up in 1992 (Andrew) so if it was built after then it's a better bet (assuming her 30 miles from Miami is still in Dade). I don't know if the FL building code followed suit, but maybe.

However, I grew up in Maimi and there are many well-built houses that are vintage and I'd take them over some of the ticky-tack from 1960 to 1990 anyday. Biggest problem with so many of those was not having used hurricane ties (rafter ties) to secure the rafters to the house and they are susceptible to losing part of the roof. The lower the profile, the safer.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
1:27 AM

Post #1032359

Dais' I don't see how Dave could merge the threads... there are definite trains of thought in each and probably extremely difficult if not impossible to merge. If you did it by train of thoughts, it would mess up time of post... and by time of post would mess up train of thoughts.
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 3, 2004
1:30 AM

Post #1032364

Yeah- he can't merge them but he could move this one to Weather and then announce on Francis that it is continued here...

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2004
1:38 AM

Post #1032376

Thank you Darius and all
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #1032384

Those that are really into following these are checking both threads anyway. It's just one extra click ya know.
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2004
1:51 AM

Post #1032395

Patti and others please be safe.
My sis lives in fort pierce and is heading north as of 8:30 pm tonight but as backed up as I 95 and the Turnpike are, it will be a long slow drive. Just stay safe and keep posting so we know all is alright.

Dott

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
1:52 AM

Post #1032396

I checked the Members List. There are 150 Paid Subscribers in Florida. I recognized many of the names but there are a lot of new ones this year; most will feel the probable effects of this storm.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

September 3, 2004
2:07 AM

Post #1032412

Watching closely, my brother lives in the VeroBeach/Ft. Pierce area. Can't get him by phone but he travels extensively for business. When charley hit I thought he was safe in Chile but he was home.Can't reach his daughter in Orlando so that's not much help. My SIL is a Flight Attendent with Air Canada so have left a message at her Dispatch office to call me when she checks in. Their schedule says she is in Tel Aviv. What a family ...they travel, I never leave the farm.
Please stay safe all of you people. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Pati, hope you have lots more exciting birthdays ...not just exciting because of the weather. Take care of yourself and animals.
Dianne
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2004
2:40 AM

Post #1032459

The headlines in our local paper today was, " HOTELS AND MOTEL HERE ALL FULL AS FLORIDIAN EVACUATE." It really is frightning to think of all the damage done recently and now another storm broods. We have all you in our prayers and hope the best for all of you.
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2004
4:49 AM

Post #1032627

I watched the thread on Charley's destructivre path with awe, and I am horrified to see you all exposed to the same risks again so soon.

I wish all of you in the path of Frances the very best and that you may all get through this latest onslaught without harm.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
6:50 AM

Post #1032720

I'm watching these threads and keeping you Florida folks in prayer.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2004
1:57 PM

Post #1032887

Good morning all! Yesterday was an exciting, busy, tireing, work-your-butt-off day that ended with a birthday cake and ice cream celebration that also served as supper because nobody had time to cook! As I looked around the table at my dirty, sweaty children and grandchildren, I knew this was one of the best birthdays I had ever had...you can't beat the gift of LOVE as a present.

My daughter, who was in hurricane Charley in Bartow, drove over with her teen age children and a large male friend with power tools! Coming East they had no problems traveling, but could see the traffic going West. They left here at 10PM, I don't know when they got back home. There was a 30 mile backup from here to Yee Haw Junction where they turn off to go home.

Our evacuee arrived yesterday afternoon with her two birds. which immediatley caught the attention of the visiting cat! We got that sorted out quickly. She is from upper NY state (bless her heart *grin*) and had never been in a 'cane. She pitched right in to help with the plants. The HUGE visiting German Shephard takes time about with my two Doxies sharing the back yard. When Katy (the GS) is out, Rocky and Rosey stand at the glass door and bark, bark, bark. I may not have to use the tranquilizers during the storm, they just barked themselves into a stupor and fell into exausted sleep last night. They keep talking about the storm surge, but don't say anything about the noise surge when you have territorial dogs! LOL

My oldest daughter, who went to the Charley disaster area as a disaster fund raiser for the Red Cross, came home from there Sunday. She left this morning for her office in Stuart for the duration of Frances. She is VERY proud of the job the Red Cross did over there, but is so glad she had the "down time" before starting all over again.

Today is a beautiful, sunny, breezey day. I have 6 squirrels busy gathering the green acorns out of the Oak in my front yard. Governer Jeb Bush is on the TV off and on most of the time. Isn't it wonderful to have such a handsome governer. *grin* We have a constant flow of information, instructions, etc. on the local stations. I am so impressed at how ready and on top of things all the agencies are, and how well they are communicating with us. Our time table has changed since the storm slowed down, and the mandantory evacuation is at 8PM tonight, changed from 2PM this afternoon. We will be under curfew starting at 8PM to 7PM every night until the storm passes.

To all who have family and friends in the storm path: There are adequate shelters for all who want or need to go. They are advising people who want to drive out of state DON'T! It's well past the time for that type of evacuation. They are replenishing the depleted gas stations and there is adequate food available for those who waited untill now to shop. All businesses are closed to allow employees to prepare their homes. Publix grocery store is the only one open. NOW...the real shocker is..our 24/7 Wal-Mart is closed! I may go into Wally World withdrawal at any moment! LOL

Thanks for letting me ramble on again. When you see me stop posting you will know the electric died. If that happens, I'll be back in touch with you on the other side of the storm. Just remember, I think DG prayers have priority in heaven!
Pati

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2004
2:11 PM

Post #1032903

You sound good, Pati! I'm glad that you know you & yours are in our prayers.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
2:43 PM

Post #1032925

Pati, I'm always glad to see your posts/updates. Gives us a better picture of what's going on at the local level.

Be Safe, Stay Dry!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2004
2:56 PM

Post #1032938

Pati you and all the other Floridians are in our prayers!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2004
3:12 PM

Post #1032956

I echo imway2dumb, you sound really good and we're certainly keeping all eyes on this. I'm going to keep an ear cocked to the ham radio bands as the storm arrives, & will post whatever I hear.
Your puppies "barked themselves into a stupor"...hee hee hee just like noisy kids, eh?
Thanks for the updates pati, we're all ears for whatever news you have time to share.

Shannon
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2004
3:42 PM

Post #1032992

Pati, Sounds like a wonderful birthday party!
Thanks for all the info, you are getting way more than we are. Now it looks like the track has turned more northerly once again...this storm sure has kept us on our toes. Has your weather started to degrade yet?

http://baynews9.com/Weather.html If you click on the statewide animated radar you can see the feeder bands in north Florida and the leading edge of the storm just starting to reach southeast Florida.

We worked yesterday afternoon to sink huge eyebolts to secure our new travel trailer. My blisters hurt! LOL We still have to cover a few windows and bring in a few more plants and we're ready...thank goodness! Hopefully it will all be for naught!

Still glued to the radar in Tampa Bay,

Stacey
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2004
3:47 PM

Post #1033000

here's the latest

Thumbnail by ecobioangie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004
3:56 PM

Post #1033011

And here's a new one to worry about... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454280/
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2004
5:06 PM

Post #1033232

I heard on the news this morning that Frances is slowing up some - 115mph winds now.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #1033261

Darius, We have already started discussing Ivan! My son has to go back to New Mexico on Tuesday, so he will leave his side of the house shuttered and boarded up, and just unboard my front window and front and back door. My door is 12 pane glass, as is my back door. He says he can't commute that distance for every hurricane! LOL

I had to dump so many of my plants. Most of the ones I saved are laying on the ground between two storage sheds and a high board fence. We put a long ladder on top of them, hopeing they won't fly! My most precious ones are in the TINY shower and in my TINY bathroom. You can't imagine the sensation when you stumble in the dark to the bathroom and are immediately caressed by large cane Begonias! At the same time the ferns are tapping on your feet for attention. You have to be careful not to jump, you might knock over my Jade plant that has a place of honor behind the toilet. *grin* Still in the dark, going back to bed, the tall scarey figure hovering at the bed side is only a tall 3 tier stand with my Angel Wing Begonias. Better than a scarey movie. LOL By this time you have made so much commotion that the Doxies are awake. I'm sure they think it's playtime!

SPKLATT: The ham radio operators are a vital link to the Bahamas. They depend on them for contact to the mainland. The eye is over Eluthera now. If you hear anything from your ham buddies about the Bahamas, I would love to hear it. My daughter's Red Cross office has three ham operators that come in for the disasters.

Well, the first feeder band just came in. It'll last about 15 minutes than about an hour of clear skies before the next band comes in. Then they get closer and closer together until...Hold your hats girls, she's gonna' blow!!!!
Pati
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 3, 2004
5:45 PM

Post #1033279

What happened to the hurricane that started with an 'H'?

And how did Gaston hit before Frances?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2004

Post #1033304

Hermine formed in the western Atlantic but well offshore, only affected shipping lanes as it went north. Gaston formed close, too and went up the coast dumping rain all the way. Richmond Va, hard-hit by rains, has had 30" of rain since June 1st. Bet they can't wait for more rains from Frances.

Frances formed close to the African coast and has taken a long time to get here.
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2004
7:47 PM

Post #1033411

yes - prayers should be going to our friends in richmond as well - they've had 2 major disasters with storms this yr - and can't imagine what frances will do to them next week.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2004
8:32 PM

Post #1033458

pati, you stay in touch as much as you can. Have the rains picked up? Any more local news?

You're in my prayers!
peterson89
El Cajon, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 3, 2004
10:13 PM

Post #1033541

Asking for Gods protection on all of you, be safe and sound. Happy belated birthday Pati, you sure are one gutsy lady.
many prayers are with you all, marion
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2004
12:01 AM

Post #1033637

Patischell- will include you in my prayers for my daughter in Boynton Beach. She says she is ready, had brought in the larger potted plants and expects to be cleaning up lizards all night. Removed the Satelight disc from the roof, and antennas and boarded up. Says the discs go through the air like frisbees and it takes 6 mos to get a new one..Stay safe and God bless.
nminmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2004
2:19 AM

Post #1033834

My in-laws have finally left Rockledge/Cocoa Beach and are headed to Tampa to my b-in-laws. Se_eds, your daughter and both you, Patischell and MollyMc are in our prayers. Take care everyone.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2004
2:49 AM

Post #1033883

Things are looking good here now. She's been down graded to at Cat 2 and passing us by. Praying for Pati in the path now.

I expect we might get a few bands of storms tonight but nothing terribly bad.

Back to regular life tomorrow...until Ivan?

:^))
Molly

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2004
3:06 AM

Post #1033906

Molly, the Weather Channel doesn't show it has made landfall yet... it is above you off the coast? It's so hard to tell.

The Emergency Management folks here say we will get 10-12 inches of rain from Frances.. and we are a VERY LONG way from you!
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2004
3:20 AM

Post #1033919

Ive been thinking about you Molly everytime I watch the news. A big WHEW for you and now to keep my ears open for everyone else.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2004
3:32 AM

Post #1033942

Lookout, TN, KY and OH... Rain from Frances is headed your way, if the projected track holds true.

We (Western NC) are forecast to get 10-15 inches of rain, although it now looks like it will be more west of us.

Thumbnail by darius

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2004
4:01 AM

Post #1033979

beleive it our not they are saying it could back lash all the way up here now,, even if it weakens,, they say rain for us sunday/monday !! that hurricane system and the front,,, we have now.. I think all of us on this side will get something from it,, it all works together somehow,,,

I do know mother nature is confused this year!!!

My heart goes out to all in the path !!
Please, everyone in the area,be safe. I pray it is not going to be as bad but with what you have been through so far this year you dont need it!!

My prayers are with yall.

I will be thinking about you all,,,

my family is from the Carolina's

take care
cheryle
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2004
7:13 AM

Post #1034047

Darius, this might help you to see the rain bands moving in:

http://wx.orlandoweather.com/orlwx/sh/wx/popup_frame.cfm?ImageID=8189

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2004
8:29 AM

Post #1034070

Hi to all,
Had a nap in the recliner after the 11PM news and woke up for the 2AM update. WOW! Frances is finally moving again, up to 6 MPH, winds still the same, but it covers a much larger area. Hurrican winds 110 miles out and tropical storm winds 200 miles out. We've had small feeder bands this afternoon, but the first BIG one came across about 2AM. We are boarded up, but we left the top two panes of my back door unboarded so we could watch. Board ready to go up quickly as the storm gets worse or the wind direction changes. No power outages yet, so the TV has some great pictures, if you like to see street signs and traffic lights blowing in the rain. All the reporters out in the field are women. Talk about your bad hair days *grin*.

My cat, TomKitty, usually is an in and out cat and loves to be out in the early evening. He came in about noon for an afternoon nap in the A/C. I thought he would be trying to rip the door off to go out for his evening stroll, but he woke up, used his kitty box and went to bed. Somehow he knew this was not a fit night for man or beast. Smart cat! On the other hand, Rosey, the Doxie, jumps up to bark every time the rain blows against boards. I think she thinks it's someone knocking on the door. And it is...Frances!

This eye of the storm won't come ashore until Saturday about 8PM. We will be in tropical storm winds and rain all day. Then when the eye passes, we get to do it all over again on the other side of the eye. This storm is so large it doesn't really matter where it comes on land, this storm is so large it is an "equal opportunity" storm, *grin*.

We need a pretty specific prayer that the storm doesn't intensify before it lands. It's moving across the warm Gulf Stream very slowly and that is a possibiliy.

I have a feeling the power will be going soon, so I probably won't be in touch for awhile. All of you North of me, stay safe and dry. You all are going to get a huge amount of rain from this. The noise level outside is rising so I guess it's the next feeder band coming in. So, I'll take the Doxies and join TomKitty in the bed for a snooze before daylight. Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts, it's so good to have DG friends, bless your hearts.
Pati

This message was edited Sep 4, 2004 4:42 AM
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2004
9:19 AM

Post #1034078

Pati and Molly and all our other Florida friends, I pray you stay safe. Brenda
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2004
12:44 PM

Post #1034156

Pati and Molly and everyone in FL take care!!! hope everyone is safe when she is done !!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2004
1:22 PM

Post #1034184

I hope everyone stays safe!! Glad I moved to AZ and don't have to deal with this threat anymore...NO, I miss a lot of things about Florida...and am coming to visit the first of October...I still have friends and family in the Crystal River/Homosassa area. I'll keep watching this thread. Jo
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 4, 2004
2:12 PM

Post #1034307

Electric flickering. Let this load and watch Frances take the stage!!!
Pati
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2004
2:21 PM

Post #1034315

my prayers are with you all.
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2004
2:29 PM

Post #1034327

Patti, I just talked to my sis and the power had flickered while we were on the phone. She dried to get out but she had no extra gas cans to fill and she left latter than she expected and the roads were at a stand still. She said she would have just sat there and ran out of gas. It took her a better part of the day to make it to Daytona. She turned around and headed back home to wait it out. They police wouldn't let her back out on the Island, I am so thankful and would love to thank him. She is in a CBS (?) house of her husbands friend. You guys who stayed behind have us really worried. PLEASE, PLEASE stay safe. Safe to say my plans for the weekend are staying home and watching TWC and sitting by the phone. I have my fingers crossed that once she hits land she will get out of there faster than they are expecting.

Dott

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2004
2:55 PM

Post #1034362

Dott, a "CBS" house is a Concrete Block Structure. Those usually come through quite well.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2004
3:36 PM

Post #1034397

We still have sunshine, blue skies and big puffy clouds but the wind is picking up. It's not much but definitely lots breezier than normal. There are still butterflies and dragonflies flitting around the yard but the birds are fairly quiet. We have spent the morning boarding windows and sandbagging our lower rooms. Most of this old house is on 2 foot foundations except the "garage area" and our sunroom. Most of the plants are in and the trailer is tied down and as safe as we can make it. Gotta keep it safe for the KYRU! LOL

Pati and all others down in southeast Florida, stay in and stay safe. We're here all the way to the end. My much loved Father in-laws are in a 15th floor condo on the beach in Brevard County. We hear they're getting hurricane force winds now. I'm VERY unhappy with their decision to stay but please say a special little prayer for them along with all the others, thanks!

Here's what the sandbag area looked like this morning. Everyone there was upbeat and helpful, sharing shovels and helping those that were struggling a bit.

Thumbnail by Floridian

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #1034400

Had a 9:30 AM email from my youngest brother in Margate FL (between West Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. He says some rain and strong gusts so far.
His house has metal shutters and tile roof rated for 150 MPH and a generator, so I'm not worried about him.

My 2 other brothers are in Jacksonville, watching carefully and prepared. Haven't heard from my sister in Orlando, but she has been in a motel since Charley due to roof damage on her house and only has computer access at work.
vic

September 4, 2004
4:24 PM

Post #1034445

This from my brother-in-law this morning...don't know if the pic will load or not...I doubt it.. btw...I have a niece and her family that live in Jupiter. Their hurricane shutters are on and they left Thursday evening...

Frances is still a while out but we are going to shut down the computer within the next couple hours. Currently the wind is just gusting it fits and spurts. The power grid around here is still very shaky. Many of the repairs after Charley were temporary in nature. We have leaning poles and hanging wires everywhere. Kissimmee has already reported power outages due the light winds this morning. The Miami area already has 100,000 customers in the dark.

So far it is beautiful Saturday morning in Winter Haven. The sun is out with occasional white to gray clouds. At the moment we don't think this storm will be any worse than Charley. That could still be a very bad thing. Frances is weaker but a much larger and slower moving storm than Charley. Frances will also make landfall much closer to Winter Haven this time.

We are only about 50 miles from the east coast directly in Frances' path. There is also the possibility Frances will strengthen today. They down graded Frances to a category "2" yesterday but it may go up to a "3" again. Currently it is crossing the warm waters of the Gulf Stream. That combined with the daytime heating from the sun will probably make it a category "3" storm by this evening.

We blew up our best computer and central air conditioning in Charley because we did not shut off our main breaker soon enough. That is why we will are going to shut things down earlier today. As soon as the trees start to bend we will be off-line. That will probably be sometime around noon or 1:00 pm. About 2 or 3 hours from now. Note: In the time it has taken me to write this email things have turned from sunny to gray outside.

This is Winter Haven signing off.

john

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 4, 2004
7:34 PM

Post #1034586

please everyone keep us posted,, take care and my the lord protect you from the hurricane...

watching TWC now,,

take care...

cheryle
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 4, 2004
9:38 PM

Post #1034795

Thank you Darius for clearing that up for me.

I just spoke to my sis a short while ago. In Fort Pierce the power is out and the phones are down. Thank goodness for cell phones.

Dott
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2004
10:05 PM

Post #1034814

Dott, thank goodness her cell phone is working. A few months ago, when we had tornadoes, even our cell phones wouldn't work and it was very frustrating trying to find out if our friends and family were okay.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2004
10:10 PM

Post #1034818

Vic thanks for the Winter Haven update. I hope this storm goes easy for your family.
I wish I could show you the wind here, light as it still is. We're getting gusts close to 40mph as ours first band comes through. The treetops really twist around as the wind blows them every which way. It's gray and a tiny bit rainy and already our power has flickered, darn these old rural overgrown lines. We're as set as we will be so I just wish she'd get moving again. I hate that we have another 24+ hours like this. It seems an eternity! It also looks as if the projected path has dropped a bit further south which will bring it right over our heads now, but we all know how quickly that can change.
Over 200,000 people without electricity on the east coast, guess that's why Pati hasn't been here. I was hoping to see her post.
That first band is past, we have sunshine again! I think I'll take the dogs out for another walk!
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2004
10:29 PM

Post #1034828

TWC says Ft Pierce getting hit hard. Vero Beach too. Didn't get straight what was where, but roof off a Kmart, car dealership collapsed and bunch of mobile homes damaged. And it is just beginning.

Anyone want to move to Colorado?
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 4, 2004
11:54 PM

Post #1034900

A lot of the east coast is getting hit hard...we're glued to the TV. 2 million people without power now and the eye hasn't even reached land. I sure hope this storm falls apart quickly once it makes landfall.

Colorado definetely looks good right now! LOL

It's dark, windy and rainy and we're about to get another band of squalls. We're under a flood watch with predictions of 10 - 12 inches of rain. The land is already saturated so we'll have a mess during and after the storm.. Alan Wenfield, the meteorologist on now likened the storm bands to labor pains, they'll get closer and closer together til the blend.

I hope we won't lose power, I sure want to stay around DG tonight and tomorrow.
The picture is of the first band of squalls that came through around 6p

Thumbnail by Floridian

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
12:18 AM

Post #1034915

i hope it moves faster so it can come in and out,, I hope you stay safe Floridian,,

it must be scary ,, I give you tons of credit !!

keep us posted,,

cheryle
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:21 AM

Post #1034920

Hey Floridian...ok there? Keep us posted.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
12:23 AM

Post #1034923

What's it doing at your place weeds?

Please stay safe everyone that's in it's way!
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2004
12:24 AM

Post #1034928

I'm watching the tv also, and praying for everyone in this storms path.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
12:25 AM

Post #1034929

weeds ,,

everything safe so far for you??

keep us posted, but keep yourself safe,,,

**cheryle**
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:26 AM

Post #1034931

Nothing here...Been gone to tallahassee all day. Beautiful weather here but I am concerned for my family and friends in the storms way.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
12:30 AM

Post #1034935

Be safe, stay safe Floridian!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
12:30 AM

Post #1034936

I was hoping that you would at least get some rain for a change...

Have been watching the news off and on all day, I'm thinking of all of you down there! Has anyone heard from BuriedTreasures, Molly, etc. or would they be like Pati and are without power?
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
12:32 AM

Post #1034941

I'm glad your ok,, hurricane are scary to me !! makes me kinda thankfull for my winter storms !!! NOT I hate them,, but at least your safe,,
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:35 AM

Post #1034944

Lilypon, I think Molly may have gone to her old house to ride out the storm. She said if it got real bad she'd be safer there...Don't think theres a puter there and prolly no power...

Stay safe all

Prayers & Hugs to all
Carol

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #1034953

Thanks Carol...you really start wondering when you haven't seen them post for a while.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
12:43 AM

Post #1034960

my prayers and thoughts are with all down there,,, check out the path,,, its coming north,,,

I have one question they know that the power is going to be blown out and cause fires why dont they shut off power ahead of time? I saw on the TV the fires from the power lines ,, for me that would scare me the most the power lines,,, live wire dancing !! eeek

take care Florida peps !!

cheryle
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:50 AM

Post #1034971

I know...Can't help but worry..I don't know about BuriedTreasures maybe they went for shelter..

Hoping & praying for all to stay safe.

I went to our super wal-mart today and Man!...I've never seen so many Fl. tags ..Glad to see a lot of folks just left and headed for higher ground..

I don't think i could stay myself...I don't do bad weather well...

Hugs, Carol

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
12:51 AM

Post #1034973

Last I heard two million peoplw were w/o power so we probably won't be hearing from them for awhile.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:56 AM

Post #1034984

The eye will go over Ft Pierce where patischell is...I am sure she and all others in that area are without power...we tried to contact my aunt in tampa..i think they are without power which is where floridian is. Orlando has power and is ok,they are patiently awaiting the storm..have an aunt and cousins there too.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:01 AM

Post #1034988

glad you still ok weeds,,, I hope the others are ok,,, will be here for while,, to see,,, how things progress
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
1:02 AM

Post #1034991

I know Molly is in Ft Lauderdale..Not sure, but I think that would put her right in the middle of it? Anybody heard news from that area?

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:05 AM

Post #1034996

I'm listening to the weather channel right now,, nothing on Ft L yet,,

scary pictures !!!

they are talking about west palm beech,,,
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
1:08 AM

Post #1035000

cnn larry king live is doing the hurricane
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
1:08 AM

Post #1035002

cacolos, Thank you...Hoping no news is good news :-)

Man! Thats very scary ..
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:10 AM

Post #1035005

Larry King,,. really,,, wow

they just said Ft L was getting hit now,,

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

take a look,,,

yes it is scary,,, mother nature is been a bad mood for long time now,,, some one needs to give her a cold beer !!!
cheryle
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
1:12 AM

Post #1035006

Tornado warnings til 8a...all night! This is a first for me.

There are some amazing pictures coming out of the east coast cities. In Palm Bay there were traffic lights rolling down the street. They're big! I've seen them on the ground and was surprised by their size

Connie aren't y'all due to get this storm after us? Sorry your family is caught up in another storm.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
1:14 AM

Post #1035008

yeppers but i can rest til monday when it will supposedly come here...glad ya'll are ok in the tampa area.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
1:20 AM

Post #1035010

Jim on the weather channel just showed an amazing representation of the eyewall and bands of rain, and it was slamming Ft Pierce. Ooh, hang on Pati and everybody get your water wings on. It's gonna get deep. How much rain now did they say? 'course that would depend on where you were standing. ~Blooms
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #1035014

I thought they said up to 20 inch of rain possible

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
1:31 AM

Post #1035030

I just came from watching Larry King :o ...I hope your family is safe Connie as well as everyone else down there!

Those poor people in Russia...how awful that children were involved! :(

This message was edited Sep 4, 2004 7:37 PM
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:36 AM

Post #1035038

if you have the weather channel, they are doing great coverage

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

here is the link for them,,,

I still dont know why they did not cut off power,, as they knew the lines are going to be live and cause huge problems,,,

cheryle
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
1:36 AM

Post #1035040

I just talked to my sis i Ft P. and she said that the houses across the street from where they are staying had power at the moment. They are getting prepared for the owrst to pass through tonight. They were getting the grill ready for when the eye passes over and they get calm to cook some hot food. Hopefully she will call again before it get to much later but it's hard because the connection keeps breaking up.

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
1:38 AM

Post #1035043

I'm glad y'all are here!

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
1:39 AM

Post #1035045

I hope they are all ok,,, keep us posted !! will keep in prayers...

when we lost power here last summer and over the winter, those were the best meals !!! huge cook outs at every house on my street,, we all had gotten together to help each other out,,,
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
2:42 AM

Post #1035110

cacolos, the electric companies will not arbitrarily shut off power to such a large area (such as the state of Florida). That would be irresponsible, as well as dangerous to some who rely on home medical equipment for their well-being.

Shutting off power and leaving everyone in the dark also does strange things to people. They can become overly-frightened, disoriented, restless, etc. And the ones with evil in their hearts find it a fine time to take advantage of others.

And not all power lines will snap (but those that do will interrupt the flow to other areas). So the power grid is kept running until something happens to interrupt the power to a particular area.

Does this cover what you were asking about?

Jean
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
2:47 AM

Post #1035115

thanks jean,,,

that makes sense,, with people needing for medical reason I totally understand,,,

thanks ,, live line like the ones on the news I saw were just way to scary for me as they were setting houses on fire and putting people at risk with eletricution and stuff,,,

I just worry about that,,

cheryle
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
5:10 AM

Post #1035231

molly had batten down the hatches at her new house yesterday when i chatted with her. her sister was with her - they'd done their shopping, etc etc. at that point her area was not being evacuated as they were supposedly far enough inland. it looks from the maps that landfall is north of her although ft. lauderdale and the worst of the storm should be north of her. keeping her and everyone down there in my thoughts. carol - here's hoping 'bama survives the storm unharmed ...(((HUGS)))
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2004
6:06 AM

Post #1035257

Hi everyone,
Not sure if anyone else is still up...at any rate, the eye has come ashore just south of patischell. Sounds like a long, nerve-wracking night over there. Hope everyone's staying safe.

Shannon

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
6:16 AM

Post #1035262

I'm still up too watching it on CNN...our prayers are with all of you and that power etc is restored soon so y'all will check in. It's painfull watching how slooooooooooooowly it's been moving, I can't imagine how it must be to hear it and be behind boarded up windows without electricity. I hope you all have battery radios.
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
6:45 AM

Post #1035266

Hello all, Tallahassee checking in, finally. We came back from Jax just in time this afternoon it seems. I'm glad we could leave today instead of having to stay over until tomorrow. Whatever happens, it's nice to be home, with the circumstances you are already aware of.

I read all the weather-related threads before posting. Looks like we'll see action today or tomorrow, although the projected arc just moved farther south.

It's quiet here now, no rain yet in north Leon county, but the airport on the south side where DD lives is indicating some rain, just scattered showers I think.

Thanks for posting the thread. It helps us feel more connected to each other. ; )
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
7:26 AM

Post #1035272

CNN Reporting Now at 3:00am(EST):
105mph Maximum Sustained Winds.
The Eye is 25 Mile West of Stuart.
Directly Over I-95.

I've Been Listening to My Next Door Neighbors Ham Radio.
He Has 2 TV's Going...One on CNN and One on the Weather Channel.
He Will Be Up All Night Monitoring Messages...So I Will Probably Will Be Too.
We Had a Guy in West Palm Beach We and Others Were Talking to Until 10:30pm(EST).
I Truly Hope He and His Family are Ok.
CNN is Providing Much Better Coverage as We Pass Midnight Here on the West Coast...No Commercials or Interuptions Which the Weather Channel Has.
I am Amazed How Many People in Florida...Can Still Get Through Over the Airwaves with Their Ham Radios with All Things that are Going On.

There is a Ticker-Tape Reader Board Across the Bottom of the CNN Channel.
It is Saying There are Several Families Who Decided to Stay in Their Homes Who are Now Requesting to be Evacuated in Fort Pierce. They are Being Told By Authorities...It's Too Late.

It Just Puts a Dark Empty Feeling in Your Heart.

I Pray that Pati is OK!
They Keep Saying Things are Going to Get Worse...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
7:30 AM

Post #1035274

Pati has certainly been in my thoughts...I pray she and the others nearby are ok!
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
7:49 AM

Post #1035283

Hi Lilypon and Everyone Up All Night.
Have You Been Listening to the Rainfall Predictions?
Fort Pierce According to CNN...
Will Receive 20" Plus Before this is Done.
And...Right Now West Palm Beach Has Received Over 9"!

And Now They're Fearing the Hurricane as it Approaches the North End of Lake Okeechobee. Evidently the Lake is Diked...And Frances Could Send 6-10 Foot Surges Over the Area Drawn From the Lake Causing a Sloshing Effect and Serious Flooding in the Area.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
8:16 AM

Post #1035287

Gosh, y'all. I'm praying for the safety of folks down there, especially those in the Ft. Pierce area ZZtopsoil mentioned.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
11:29 AM

Post #1035315

Patti's area got wolloped and she most probably does not have electricity right now.

Patti, I hope that you and yours have come through this okay. Please let us know as soon as you can get back online.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:03 PM

Post #1035330

What a destructive storm this one is...due the slow speed. I am hoping patischell is coming through ok too as well as Molly, BT, and Floridian.
If you are up Stacey...give us a report from your area...how scarey to be boarded up with no electricity...not knowing what is going on. I have been there and it is terrifying.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
12:12 PM

Post #1035337

just checking in on all my Fla. friends, I am very concerned about all of yall. I pray that everyone is hunkered down safe. I hope we hear from Pati soon, I wonder if Stacy still has power.

My thoughts and prayers are with yall.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
12:44 PM

Post #1035362

Good Morning,

We have power, rain and wind. It's not bad here yet but it's gray and gloomy. The storm center is still about 125 miles out from us. We've had only 1/2 inch of rain here so far but 9-12 inches is predicted with more in some areas. I'm going out as soon as this band of squalls pass. Soon we will have rain non stop until well into Monday. We hear the storms will not be any worse than bad summer storms but they wont be ending.

Poor Pati and the others over on the east coast are now getting the back side of the hurricane. What a mess it's going to be over there. They have had high winds and no power for over 24 hours and still the storm has hours to go for them.

We sit, watch and wait. Am I the only one still reporting from the storm?
I'm going out to see what's going on around the house...

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
12:52 PM

Post #1035366

Hey Stacey! Glad to hear from you...yes, I think you are the only one with power down that way...or the only one reporting. Keep us informed. How do your dogs react to this kind of weather?
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
1:16 PM

Post #1035390

The boys are fine, I'm glad they don't mind storms.

We just did a walk about. There's a lot of leaf litter and branch tips down. My poor spinach tree is leaning over, almost on the ground and all the large Plumeria leaves are turned south like an inverted umbrella. It got big and bloomed beautifully this year and I sure hope it survives the coming weather without snapping off.

Where has Darius gone? Anyone know?

More pictures from Ft Pierce where Pati is showing many large trees down, dangling traffic lights and power lines down. Sure wish she was able to check in
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
1:57 PM

Post #1035420

Keep reporting Floridian.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
1:58 PM

Post #1035423

Haven't seen her post lately? Just heard in Ft Pierce...patischell area has no water. I forget about that and also with no power you have no air conditioning...it is very hot! we will get to 94 today and I can only imagine no ac, all boarded up...yuk
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
2:23 PM

Post #1035464

It's pretty cool today, only 74 degrees but the humidity and heat after the storm is going to be outrageous. We don't have the whole house boarded so I can look out the front windows. We can see and hear the wind picking up and we're getting 48 mph gusts now according to Bay News 9

There are still butterflies in the garden although they're having trouble staying on the flowers. LOL

Here's Buster wondering why in the world we're out in this weather!

Thumbnail by Floridian

spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2004
2:41 PM

Post #1035480

Awww...nice puppy! Boy, your place looks nice & lush. It looks like it should take no time at all to bounce back after the storm. I've been really glad to read your posts & everyone else's who still has power - thanks for taking the time, in the middle of everything that's going on! We're all thinking about you guys.
Shannon
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
3:03 PM

Post #1035497

weeds and floridian glad to hear you are ok,,, I hope the rest are doing well,,

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
3:03 PM

Post #1035498

Good to see you posting again Floridian!

Connie are they talking evacuation in your area...the news just mentioned the Florida Panhandle and I know you are in a low lying area very close to the ocean.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
3:08 PM

Post #1035501

We will be fine unless it strenghtens while over the gulf. I am actually in Panama City so you will know what to listen for. north bay is 6 blocks from my house so i am not on the gulf. When Opal came through the water rose almost to the street in front of my house but my house is built up several feet so we are ok. I just hope I don't have to bring everything in!
I think Orlando is getting it good now, they are on the rough side and tampa (floridian) will be getting it soon...hang in there stacey and hug those doggies for me.
Maybe we will get some rain finally!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
3:16 PM

Post #1035505

I really, really hope you get just the much needed rain and nothing more Connie!

Stay safe and dry Floridian!!

It's scary watching the news and seeing people wandering/driving around outside where the power lines are down but still alive.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
3:27 PM

Post #1035516

I agree,, do what you can to stay safe,, glad to hear your a little higher,,, stay safe and dry,, did you guys board up your house to?

I would bring everything you can inside ,,

keep safe and keep us posted,,

here is what the weather channel says...

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

I give everyone in its path huge hugs !!! ...,,
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
3:44 PM

Post #1035539

Oh these pots aren't for me to dig in??

My indoor kitty Rocky getting a bit of the great outdoors and loving it! Look at those dirty paws...

Thumbnail by Floridian

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
3:47 PM

Post #1035545

he has that look,,, "it was not me" did ya see the cat just run out the back door !!!

how cute

just looks almost like my cat Mooo
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2004
3:53 PM

Post #1035555

What a cutie! Mmmm...dirty paws... Kinda looks like my kitty Franklin too; once I saw him digging frantically in something and then he sat back and stretched his paws out & looked at them - almost as if he was admiring their dirtiness! Getting back to his roots, as it were.
Black and white cats have such interesting colouring. Even their paw pads sometimes alternate between black & pink!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
4:05 PM

Post #1035568

Better keep an eye on Rocky, he might leave you a "present!"
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
4:06 PM

Post #1035570

I have 2 black and white tabys,, mooo has black pads on his feet and dude has pink
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2004
4:14 PM

Post #1035581

If they have to be shaved for surgery, you can see their black & pink tummies too - it's really cute! Ditto for the roof of their mouth, if you happen to catch a really big yawn.

Hope everyone's hangin in there, in Florida.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
4:51 PM

Post #1035616

Yeah he's the picture of innocence isn't he? We found him in a rest area along I-75 in Georgia on the way to last years KY roundup.

Frances is hitting Polk County now, Hillsborough County is next. We're getting some incredible gusts of wind now and lost power briefly a few minutes ago. 3 million people across Florida with no electricity...

A loud bang and no power...uh oh! I'll try to get back soon
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
4:59 PM

Post #1035628

I'm going to shut down my computer to save my BBU. I hope the power comes back on soon. We must have heard a transformer blow...darn it!

My poor Plumeria...

See you soon!

Thumbnail by Floridian

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
5:25 PM

Post #1035652

Anxiously awaiting your return...
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2004
5:29 PM

Post #1035659

Hi all,
Just heard a report from Toronto-based "storm chaser" George Kourounis, who's in Ft. Pierce. Says he was able to get a few hours' sleep last night during the eye, but now they're in the back side of it, and winds are 100 mph *sustained*. (160 km/h, +/-)
Roofs are flying off buildings, & during the night there were blue & green flashes fm power going out...he says that it's lasting so long, it's like two hurricanes - one before the eye and one after. Not like Isabelle at all.
I hate to think of the people holed up in the middle of this! Pati sounded prepared, but still. Will post again if I hear anything else.
p.s. nothing on the ham radio net yet, up here anyway. I imagine they're using short-range bands - I hear things are quite active in the area of the hurricane.

Shannon

edited for clumsy fingers

This message was edited Sep 5, 2004 1:32 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
5:35 PM

Post #1035665

Good heavens, glad to see so many of you checking in. I hope Patti's doing okay, and the others we've not heard from.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
5:44 PM

Post #1035679

BT hasn't posted in ages, where is Valrico-- am I right it's near Sebring? It's not on my road atlas. He was staying and posting on the weather forum francis thread.
Sebring is getting whacked by the front edge while Pati in FtPierce is getting whelmed by the rear end - they just said there was two feet of water on Ft Pierce's main street.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
6:08 PM

Post #1035695

BuriedTreasures is 90 miles away from Sebring. Can't remember which direction tho but Charlie went down the middle between Sebring and Valrico.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
6:11 PM

Post #1035698

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you/yours/everyone in France's path and that plumeria Floridian!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
6:21 PM

Post #1035708

I can't believe people...The Weather Channel just showed footage of surfers who went out at Ft. Lauderdale to surf those violent waters. Sheesh.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2004
6:56 PM

Post #1035739

Surfing in this...What Jeb Bush calls abject stupidity...

I'm back, at least for a few minutes. Thank God Paul bought us a really good generator. We have the fridge, TV, a fan and my computer unless Paul's UPS dies. We hooked it up to an extension cord but the thing is still beeping. Not enough power, maybe? The winds have really picked up and the storm is edging into Hillsborough County. We can feel the big gusts hit the house. It's a pretty amazing thing to watch. The trees are twisting and thrashing and when there's rain it's coming in sideways. I wish pictures could show you what I'm seeing.

All of the bridges to the islands are closed til the storm is past. No one I know in the area has power. So far cable and cellular are up and running.
They are saying by 8p the storm will be just northeast of us...that's still another 5 hours. Whew! and then we get the back side of the storm. It looks like it's going to be a(nother) loooonnnggg night
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
7:00 PM

Post #1035744

Good to see you, Stacey! Be careful with the electronics on the generator -- my friend's dad blew their TV's, VCR's and DVD players with theirs. It might not have been a good one, though. :)
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
7:07 PM

Post #1035749

Take care Stacey! Glad you could post :)
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
7:32 PM

Post #1035784

Buried Treasures is About 50+ Miles Due East of Tampa.
He's in Hillsbourgh County(I Think).
So He's Feeling Frances' Torment Now!
He is Receiving the Force of the Eye Now. It Looks Like it is Going Right Over the Top of His Location.
We Can All Pray For the Best For Him...And Hope it Continues to Deminish in Strength.
CNN is Reporting:
Beginning to Bear Down on Tampa.
St. Augustine 60mph Winds.
and...The 1st Death Has Been Reported in Gainesville.

Yes Gardenwife Some People Have No Brains.
Until They Get Caught in an Undertow of a Wave.
Strange Then How They Remember to Hollar "Help"!

And What About the Idiot in West Palm Beach Who Saw His Yacht was Coming Untied and Went Out in the 75-80mph Winds to Tie it Up...Stupid.
Hey...You Got the Money for a Yacht...You Got the Money to Move it to Safety...And You've Got Insurance(I Hope).
They Just Showed a Very Large Sailboat Bobbing Heavily in the Bay at St. Augustine. Evidently People are Staying on it During the Storm. A Person Was Out on the Bow Checking Things.
And They are Reporting Many People are Staying in Their Houseboats at St. Augustine...That is Crazy.

I Was Up Last Night With My Friend Listening to His Ham Radio. I Feel Like a Fool at a Little After 3am, I Fell Asleep in One of His Chairs. At 6:30am. I Felt so Stupid.
He is Still Glued to His Ham Radio...Moving the Dials Ever-So-Slightly Trying to Pick Up Anything He Can. Trying to Link Up Someone with Someone Else Who Needs Help. There Were So Many Calls for Help and Assistance Last Night to Evacuate...If Anyone Could Hear Them. They Would Give There Address. But Many Operators Were Telling Them What to Do to Be Safe in Their Homes.
You Never Truly Know How Valuable These 'Hams' Are Until You Sit and Listen to All the Action on the Radio Airwaves...Or...Until You So Desperately Need Help. We're Still Waiting to Hear From Our Friend We Kept Talking to in West Palm Beach Last Night. We Lost Him at Around 8-8:30(pst) Last Night. I Hope He and His Family Are OK. The Background Noise at His End Was Unbeleivable.

And...I Too am a 'Waiter'.
I Have a Neice and Her Family in Casselberry and a Sister and BIL in Jax. And Cousins in Gainesville. I Have Heard Only From My Neice in Casselberry...Just North of Orlando. She Sent an E-Mail Thursday Afternoon...When They Were Trying to Get More Plywood at a Nearby Town. There was None to be Found Around Casselberry. Her Words in the E-Mail We're...They Were Going to Stay at Their Home. So I am Waiting for Some Word.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
7:38 PM

Post #1035791

I cannot imagine what it was like living in the tropics during hurricane season before phones, ham radio and radar.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
7:41 PM

Post #1035794

I think this storm is bigger than it looks! We have had more of a breeze all morning than usual and now we are getting gusts...mind you not strong but not normal. A few plants over and gourds on the ground. Sun is still shinning. If you look at a map of florida and see how far panama city is from tampa, it will give you an idea of the size.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004

Post #1035798

Look at my friend Dana's blog entry...It's a Texas-sized storm!
http://think_pink.typepad.com/ Scroll down to the "Hurricane Humor" post.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004

Post #1035799

stacy, reading your words sends shivers. I know what it is to sit and hear what you are hearing, but to have to hear it for soo long..yall fla. folks, hang in there...i keep checking in, my thoughts are with yall.

cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
8:05 PM

Post #1035812

weeds and stacy you guys stay safe !!! we worry about u all
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
8:08 PM

Post #1035816

CNN is reporting that the center is bearing down on Tampa now.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2004
8:10 PM

Post #1035818

the best line was ..."I have a new respect for the size of Texas" lol
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
8:43 PM

Post #1035842

Checking in again from Tallahassee. I think we just became included in the hurricane equation. Getting kinda cloudy and dark outside. Wind was up in gusts a little while ago. Now really still. I think the first band is closing in on our area. Weather reporting 28 mph gusts, 90°, 96° heat index. A bit of rain showers off and on today, mixed in anomaly with short bursts of sunshine. I am following the weather threads on DG, and praying for those south of us, that all are OK and will be able to post soon.

Hugs! from the Big Bend area of FL.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2004
8:54 PM

Post #1035849

Someone on TWC just said as it approached Tampa, the center was reforming (?) and gathering strength even before it hits water. They didn't sound real happy...
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
8:56 PM

Post #1035852

judith...my besy friend's daughter lives in tally and she just let me know the daughter has no electricity already!
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
8:59 PM

Post #1035857

I feel so bad for all of you !!! stay strong and safe !!!

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004

Post #1035863

Floridian is in the thick of it now...wish she could post.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
9:10 PM

Post #1035867

they are many cities under boil water now,,,
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
9:13 PM

Post #1035868

tornado warnings now for northern FL

http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/nswxcategory/tornado
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2004
9:15 PM

Post #1035871

There was one in Georgia earlier, too.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
9:16 PM

Post #1035872

weeds when they say your area will they say Panama City or a county's name?
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
9:48 PM

Post #1035890

Judith, isn't Frances projected to be coming your way? Are you going to be safe there?

Jean
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2004
9:51 PM

Post #1035893

I've found it's usually the county name, which I was not familiar with in FL when I first came here 13 years ago.

The tornado warnings seem to be in NE FL, around JAX, on the east coast, and counties I recognize as being east and south of there.

Tallahassee is in Leon County, just south of the GA border, with Wakulla between Leon and the coast at St Marks, the "notch" before the sort of triangle south where Appalachicola is. This is called the Big Bend area (the large curved area on the Gulf of Mexico from Tampa (south) around to Pensacola (west). There are many counties and small towns/cities around and between these "major cities."

Bay and Gulf counties are on the NW coast. I think Panama City (Weeds, in Lynn Haven - is a suburb? of Panama City, is a little west of Appalachicola, next "dip" into the Gulf).

West of that are Destin, Eglan, etc., on west to Pensacola, just east of the Alabama border and Mobile, AL.

FL is a pretty large state, and all of it seems to be in the path of Frances, along with other adjoining states, and those TBD, as the path changes almost hourly.

Weeds, if you could tell me what part of Tall. your friends DD lives in (NE, NW, SE, SW, downtown, Campuses, whatever), I might could advise you more. I am in NNE, my DD is in SSW, near the airport) I might be able to provide more info about her area, especially as the night wears on. Both my DD and I still have all utilities, and a bit of rain showers & slightly elevated windspeed so far. I don't know of any areas posted yet that are without elec or water. There probably are.

The greatest problem here should be with flooding, which is not uncommon with heavy sustained rains, until the excess water has time to drain off, and power lines down, usually due to fallen trees, limbs, debris, etc.

She may be in an area that has one single fallen tree to be removed to return elec/water, whatever to her area. If she is in a remoter area, more rural, in the county, the wait may be longer. If she is in the downtown area, should be returned much sooner.

If she is in the NE (east of Hwy 310), there have been some problems there with the power grid. Power service tends to be more volatile there, as well as in other specific areas. There has been a lot of population/housing growth since we moved here. Hard for utilities to keep up with it.

Wish I could be more help to her mom, who I'm sure is worrying. I'll post as I hear any news in Tall./Leon Co.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
10:00 PM

Post #1035901

We have already had a good down pour, gusty winds, and tornado warnings out until 7pm..Probably some all night and tomorrow..One of my feed containers(steel barrels with lids) it had about 20lbs of goat feed left in it went flying across the yard about an hour ago, and the power went out for only a few minutes, then it was gone..I thought Frances was at the front door, lol..More to come for us, hopefully not too much rain and wind..

Larkie
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
10:34 PM

Post #1035928

Looks like lots of us are in the path! Hey Larkie, keep us informed of things up your way. I don't know where in Tally she lives but I'm sure all is well. Her mom, my friend is in San Fran and will keep in touch.
No rain here yet, what a surprise! I am in a suburb (that sounds funny) of Panama City which is Bay County. Destin in Walton county is the town next to me down the coast.
ZZTOPSOIL
Willamette Valley-OS, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2004
10:45 PM

Post #1035939

It's Amazing...
According to CNN.
The Eye is passing Through the Tampa Area on the West Coast and...
St. Augustine is Getting Plumeted with Heavy Winds Way Up North on the East Side.
And the Idiots in St. A. are Out Walking and Driving in this Storm.
The Backside of the Storm Winds Coming From the South Should Really Start Kicking In.

This Hurricane...Now Tropical Storm for the Time Being is...
Just Soooooooooo Big!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 5, 2004
10:58 PM

Post #1035949

Thank you both for posting your county's names...it is really confusing for people not down there to figure out *where* they are talking about. :S
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2004
11:40 PM

Post #1035998

glad to see everyone is still ok,,,
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2004
2:29 AM

Post #1036171

I spoke with MollyMc earlier today and she is doing good, lost the phones for a bit but her and her sister are hanging in there watching the winds and rain. She lost a piece of her mango tree but otherwise no problems.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2004
2:57 AM

Post #1036193

thanks for the update,, I worry about those peps !!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
3:30 AM

Post #1036223

Glad to hear Molly's ok...I know she won't cry over her mango tree but Darius will be a little sad. Speaking of Darius I wonder if she left her mountain retreat?

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
3:33 AM

Post #1036224

If you all don't mind, I started a new thread (HURRICANE FRANCES II) in the Weather Forum, as a continuation of this thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454779/

It was taking FOREVER to load this one due to the thread's activity.

Hope you don't mind. I check this thread many times each day. Hope this makes it easier for others too.

Jean

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
3:39 AM

Post #1036228

:D I was hoping someone would!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2004
7:11 AM

Post #1036346

There are 240 replies to this thread before this. So, I just browsed just a few. This interested me because I was concerned about my DG-friends when even our local paper described the Frances. I hope all are safe and not too much affected by Nature's ferocity.
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
7:40 AM

Post #1036357

Thanks, Dinu! It helps us all feel more connected with the world. Right now, I think it's too soon to get much news from the areas affected, due to loss of most communication.

We really depend on our computers a lot to stay in touch. With so many without electric power now, we just have to pray that they weathered it without terrible difficulty and loss. It's really tough waiting it out and not knowing.

Many of the hardest hit areas are still reeling from the effects of Charley earlier. Now another, Ivan, is on the way. Not sure about it's projected path yet, but it's moving faster. Frances is so huge, and so slow-moving, that it is causing different kinds of destruction from sustained higher than normal winds and an enormous amount of rainfall. Flooding and wind damage are wreaking havoc all over Florida.

When TV shows the weathermap, I'm always thinking that Frances looks like a giant soaking wet mop, just slopping round and round over all of FL before it's done. And, it's likely to cause problems in other states as it either moves west or north. It could still very easily change direction right now, even though they are now predicting a northward path.

Glad you joined us!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
2:44 PM

Post #1036586

The phone company said my phone lines would be fixed by Thursday, wow, they were here this morning. I'm up and running now.

We need to get over to the old house and see how the garden fared. The house I am told is fine. An avacado tree went down over there and put the power out, we never lost power here, so was sitting cool as cucumbers.

The satellite dish was installed the day before the winds started. They did a [deleted] job so it went off kilter first thing. But I fixed it yesterday. I need to remount it properly as soon as I get the tools to do it with.

Darius, although 2 huge branches came off that mango tree and broke my phone line, there is still plenty of tree left to bear fruit for you next year.

The winds were extremely strong at some point, they say up to 90 or so. We will leave shutters down and get some plywood for the rest of the windows in anticipation of Ivan.

Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post some interesting pictures later. Gotta go get some stuff done now.

Thanks so much everybody for your thoughts and prayers. They worked for us.

:^)))
Molly
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2004
2:51 PM

Post #1036590

glad to hear your ok Molly !!! thanks for posting!!!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
3:09 PM

Post #1036608

Yeah! Glad ya'll are ok and up and running!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2004
3:23 PM

Post #1036625

Good news!!! (I love GOOD news).
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2004
4:18 PM

Post #1036773

yeah molly!!! big hugs

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
4:27 PM

Post #1036780

Yahoo! Good to see you're doing fine Molly!! Hope the others can come on line soon...bet they do too since then their AC will be back on.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2004
5:43 PM

Post #1036872

Hellllooooo! Man am I glad to be back! We still have no power, us and another 194,000 people in our area. My neighbor has health problems and TECO got her power restored. I sit here and look longingly at her lights knowing she has HOT WATER and her pumps run for water and showers. The generator has really helped us and we can watch TV again now that cable has been restored. We went all night with just a radio to tell us what was happening

We're still getting some strong gusts and rain but the bands are (seem) to be getting further apart. Our land is pretty flooded, we've had tons of rain dumped on us from the back side of the storm. The weather has been worse on this side than the front, but it looks like the worst has finally passed!

My neighbor and I took a walk to see if we could find any power line problems so TECO would respond faster. No such luck but we did find a squirrel nest with 3 babies in it. One was on the ground outside the nest and didn't live but the other 2 are now warm and fed. I hope the pet stores are open tomorrow so I can get the proper food and bottles. No chance of that today.

I see Frances has made landfall again?? Connie and the rest how's your weather now? Here's hoping she'll blow by y'all quickly!

Stacey

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2004
5:50 PM

Post #1036883

Stacy, keep us updated on your squirrels. Also, a Frances II thread has been started. This thread is taking forever to load. Glad your online and well!
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2004
5:53 PM

Post #1036887

Thanks John... I thought that's where I was...LOL the wind has got me addled. I copied this and pasted it in the new thread...

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:02 PM

Post #1036971

We are still having high winds, lots of pecan limbs and some whole trees down.. We are over 3 inches of rain already with no let up, supposedly for the next few days.. Very nasty here, electricity is off and on since yesterday... Also rode over into town this am and quite a few downed trees from overnight..Hopefully the tornadoes will stay away this time..We have had 2 killing ones in the last 3 yrs, same exact path both times..19 folks killed within 1 mile of us... We don't want that again.. I can only imagine how awful it must be in FL right now..Too bad here for me..Thinking of all down below me..

larkie

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
7:05 PM

Post #1036982

Take care Larkie!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:10 PM

Post #1036990

Oh no Larkie! You go get in the closet!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:11 PM

Post #1036995

TY, I hope we will all be safe.. Mother Nature is on a rampage, lol.., and to top it off, hubby and all the farm help are having to load semi's(produce) everyday this week..They are in mud and muck up to their knees, getting tractor's stuck in the field and using another tractor to pull them out.. Ah, those were the days when I was still out there with them.. I miss some of it, but not at times like these.. The trucks have to go, no matter what..

Larkie
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:15 PM

Post #1037002

You have a BIG produce farm? I was thinking small...how interesting! How did ya'll get started doing that? Yeppers, kinda like the mail even though they are home today. Better you are inside with us on DG but I know what you mean. I have to go outside frequently just to see the storm.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:18 PM

Post #1037006

Yep Connie, we farm about 1000 acres over all, some of that is rotation acerage.. My husbands family has been here for over 70 years on this farm, and we rent 2 others..My in-laws are both gone now, but out here on out dirt road there are 7 houses, and they are all family.. My hubby and his brother still do the farming..

Larkie
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:21 PM

Post #1037012

Wow, now that's a family affair! Your parents live on that road too? I have heard you mention your mom. I just gotsta come up there now! I was in Havana Sat. I think you are not too far from there?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:27 PM

Post #1037021

Mama is right behind us.. She built out here about 12 yrs ago..About 1 1/2 hrs from Havana/ Tallahassee give or take a few..
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2004
9:48 PM

Post #1037172

Here is the new thread, where this discussion continues:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/454779/

It's in the new Weather forum.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
9:54 PM

Post #1037182

Thanks GW, we were just chatting...
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2004
10:09 PM

Post #1037206

I forget sometimes that not all of Florida is orange groves and retirees. That sounds a right nice place ya got there, Larkie, and family close by. Hope the produce isn't spoiled by the rain you're getting. ~Blooms

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
11:14 PM

Post #1037267

TY Blooms, I am in GA..We are still getting rain and going to be some flooding close by.

Larkie
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
11:16 PM

Post #1037271

What all do ya'll grow?
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2004
11:24 PM

Post #1037276

I bet beeing on the farm is a ton of hard work but fun to,, when I was younger I spent all my summers helping on family farms and loved all the work,, but most was the people

stay safe all !!

cheryle

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
2:42 AM

Post #1037544

Corn, peanut, soybeans, collards, turnips, mustard,squash. okra, peas,watermelon, etc...We grow all the greens year round, so winter is some of the busiest...
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
1:18 PM

Post #1037895

Hey Larkie, way cool! Who do you sell to? Big chains or what...I know nothing about this!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
5:03 PM

Post #1038509

Grains go to the grain companies/government.., all our produce is sold locally and my hubby trucks the contracted stuff to Albany, and surrounding towns to grocery stores and food markets..
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
5:08 PM

Post #1038522

The definition of a "truck farmer." :-)
BrugAddict
Harlem, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
5:10 PM

Post #1038526

Well looks like Frances has made it here and doing and done some wind and water damage. Tornado's are popping up in counties surrounding where I live and one spotted in SC, just past the GA/SC line. *sigh*

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
5:54 PM

Post #1038600

We got 5 1/2 inches of rain yesterday and all night, and starting up again.. At least the winds have nearly died down for now..and the electricity is on...for now..

Larkie
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004

Post #1038617

ooh, I'm so sorry... your fields must be drowning.
This thing just goes on and on.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America