-
AuthorContent
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
3:29 AM

Post #1036222

This is a continuation of the "Hurricane Frances" thread that was in the Parking Lot Forum.

Edited to add the link to the previous thread:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/453749/

This message was edited Sep 5, 2004 10:36 PM
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2004
11:45 AM

Post #1036414

glad you started a new one, the other one was taking forever to load.

I was hoping to find a posting here from my Fla. friends...check in soon, if yall can.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
12:20 PM

Post #1036431

Good morning all. i have been outside observing the wind...quite windy here with some gusts but no rain at my house so far. I am pretty sure it will stay a tropical storm when it arrives here. It is heading a little east of panama city so we will be on the good side as will most dgers in the panhandle.
I am sure all of our friends and family in the florida penninsula are without power and will be for days. I sure wish at least one of them could check in and let us know what is going on.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
12:42 PM

Post #1036449

weeds, whereabouts in Florida are you? I couldn't find Lynn Haven on the sketchy map that I have.

I hope that all you get is some rain for your garden! Take care.

(Edited to add):

Judith - are you going to be okay where you are?

This message was edited Sep 6, 2004 7:43 AM
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
12:49 PM

Post #1036455

LSP, I am in Panama City.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
3:14 PM

Post #1036617

I just took a ride to good ole WinnDixie, had to have a tomato and all the produce stands were closed. It was interesting...the carts (there were lots of other peeps there too) were blowing all over the parking lot...one just rolled down the middle of the street to the intersection. Quite fasinating. The winds are picking up here and it is raining so I will stay inside as soon as I cut my bananas...the whole tree fell over so it is time to cut them!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
4:32 PM

Post #1036785

Oh weeds... with the good comes the bad! :( Have you brought all your flying missiles in?
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
4:39 PM

Post #1036791

Not all but am watching the wind...I have so many things to bring in and I am just too old for that...just hoping the neighbors want them!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
4:48 PM

Post #1036808

lol... by which means???
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
4:49 PM

Post #1036812

WIND silly

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
4:51 PM

Post #1036818

Better phone them to watch out for delivery! :S
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
4:54 PM

Post #1036820

Special Delivery...Mr. Rogers...

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
4:58 PM

Post #1036828

lol...I was thinking along the lines of heads up and be prepared to grab and /or duck...esp if it's your white BOP!

p.s. I've been telling your plants here how very lucky they are right now!! ;)
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
4:59 PM

Post #1036832

Yes they are...all the big ole leaves are getting tattered, but it doen't matter.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
5:04 PM

Post #1036837

Yup...if that is the worst that happens you will be doing very well!
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
5:11 PM

Post #1036850

Our metal shed is full of plants as is the dinning room table. Spotted a dat pod that split yesterday so I cut it and brought it in to finish ripening. Last night I had 7 brugs open up on 3 different bushes...5 more are likely to open tonight if they don't get blown to smitherens.

Connie..how are your pups? So far my crew is just passed out and not nutso. That will probably change though. I'll have to waller on the floor with them so they can all be close to Mom. LOL
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2004
5:53 PM

Post #1036888

Dang...I just posted on the first thread and thought I was here...Maybe I'll just copy and paste here! LOL

How's the weather in the panhandle now? I'm so glad it's almost over here. This has been the longest weekend!

Here's the info from the other thread:

Hellllooooo! Man am I glad to be back! We still have no power, us and another 194,000 people in our area. My neighbor has health problems and TECO got her power restored. I sit here and look longingly at her lights knowing she has HOT WATER and her pumps run for water and showers. The generator has really helped us and we can watch TV again now that cable has been restored. We went all night with just a radio to tell us what was happening

We're still getting some strong gusts and rain but the bands are (seem) to be getting further apart. Our land is pretty flooded, we've had tons of rain dumped on us from the back side of the storm. The weather has been worse on this side than the front, but it looks like the worst has finally passed!

My neighbor and I took a walk to see if we could find any power line problems so TECO would respond faster. No such luck but we did find a squirrel nest with 3 babies in it. One was on the ground outside the nest and didn't live but the other 2 are now warm and fed. I hope the pet stores are open tomorrow so I can get the proper food and bottles. No chance of that today.

I see Frances has made landfall again?? Connie and the rest how's your weather now? Here's hoping she'll blow by y'all quickly!

Stacey

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
6:07 PM

Post #1036908

Hey ginger and floridian...glad to see everybody posting. We called my aunt in tampa a few mins ago and she has electicity and is fine...the flooding did not get her. I was reading about Lutz and a tree down somewhere, sure there are more than one but was worried about you! Good ole generator and Paul too!
Ginger, we are fine...the worst is to the east of us, my pups have no clue what is going on. They want to go for a "walkie" around the hood!
I have been outside messing around but to wet and yucky so am back here at Dave's instead of cleaning like I am supposed to do.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 6, 2004
6:37 PM

Post #1036932

Happy to *see* you again Floridian and Ginger_H!
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2004
7:44 PM

Post #1037038

Yes, I too was wondering how the animals reacted during the storm.

My kitties take thunderstorms pretty well, but I think they would be quite jumpy with gale-force winds (and debris) smacking against the plywood. I would be too, come to think of it! LOL.

Jean
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2004
8:14 PM

Post #1037066

No word from Pati or BT yet, they said: there was two feet of water on Ft Pierce's main st; and the marina is a disaster; and is that where the roof blew off the school/shelter?

Good to hear from Floridian, MollyMc, Ginger, for that matter you tooo Weeds - narrow miss hunh.

Anybody here any specifics for the Daytona Area? Got shirtail family all over around there and no word yet
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2004
8:19 PM

Post #1037070

Wish they had generators. :-|
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
8:55 PM

Post #1037115

No news from Daytona but I am sure it is the same wind, floods and no power.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2004
9:09 PM

Post #1037136

glad to see everyone is still ok..
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
9:17 PM

Post #1037141

Hey cacolos...you have been with us through it all...thanks! What does your name mean?
dottnmd
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2004
10:17 PM

Post #1037213

I'm glad the you guys made it through Frances and to see you posting.
I think it may be a while before hearing from Patti. My sis who also lives in fort pierce finally called after a long period of nothing. She says it is impossible to even get a signal for her cell. She headed south first thing this morning to Miami for a hotel, food, shower, air conditioning and a long shower for the night. Fort Pierce is without water, power and phone. My sis has to cross 2 bridges to get to the island she lives on in Ft. P. and they are not letting anyone across. The national guard is all that can get through to that area at the moment so it depends on where Patti is in Ft. P. She also said on the ride that there were people in line for blocks to get food from the trucks.
Dott
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2004
10:21 PM

Post #1037218

Is Pati the only one we have not heard from?
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
10:26 PM

Post #1037222

BurriedTreasure near Tampa I think.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2004
11:12 PM

Post #1037264

weeds,, well the name means

cac= my initials
olos= a nick name I got ( yellow shots,, solo cups I used,, long story but it stuck)

I like weeds,, I saw many of your I yanked out of the garden today !!!

I figured,, I'm not directly effected by the storm (family is in the Carolina's) and anyone who lives there might need some mental restore when all said and done,, so wanted to let everyone know that we are here for them,,

cheryle
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
12:18 AM

Post #1037335

I think anyone that has been thru this long storm will need some mental restore. Talked to my daughter in Boynton Beach today. No power since Friday, they unboarded several windows to let fresh air in today. Went out into the yard and found a lot of "red and Pink Berry-like branches" that blew out of the tree branches,which she brought in in a vase to cheer things up. I don't know anything about Fla. flora and neither does she. Hope they are not toxic or anything. They can't go anywhere, and are running low on ice. There is a railroad crossing two houses away from them and the automatic signal gate is down and it has been "BEEP-BEEP-ing" for 12 hours. She says it has her about nuts. This is her first Hurricane and she is learning a lot. - Her and her husband and their new puppy. Thank God they are safe.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
12:34 AM

Post #1037355

Oh my seeds...she took a major part of that hurricane! So glad she is safe, if mentally worn out. And with a puppy too! Tell her we are thinking about her and hope that dang beep beep stops.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2004
12:35 AM

Post #1037357

good to hear se_eds

I know they wont get hit as hard, but tornados and flooding is enough,,
we talked to my brothers in lower/mid SC and they said they are hazardous weather/ floods watches now,, I told him to get to the store and stock up on what ever you can afford to get... and make sure he has enough water and meds and stuff,, my other borthers called they said they have been to the stores already... my aunts in NC are not worried yet,, but said they will be going to the stores tomorrow to make sure they have stuff,, and to check on my grandfather as well,, I worry about him the most,,

take care all !!

cheryle
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
1:06 AM

Post #1037393

i heard from molly this morning - she can't post any more cuz her phone lines are now dead - caught under the mango tree - but is looking forward to being back online again in a few days...
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
1:36 AM

Post #1037439

Hey HH and all. Bell South came over this morning and restrung my phone line. I was so surprised they got here so quickly.

Landlord came over and cut up those mango branches and hauled them out to the street for pickup.

Weather today was really good. A little rain but mostly sunny skies with a nice breeze.

We seem to have good drainage here in the new neighborhood. Yesterday was a lot of rain and more wind of course so we spent another day inside. But no flooding happened at my house.

We never lost power for more than a few seconds at a time, just the phone line.

Now, I need to see what's happening with Ivan. We are leaving the storm shutters on waiting for him.

Molly
:^)))
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
2:00 AM

Post #1037496

Blooms -- what is "shirttail" family? I've never heard that expression before.

And se_eds, I'd tell your daughter to get a BIG stick or branch and beat that RR crossing 'beep beep' thing to death (and say that the rain/winds from Frances must have damaged it). LOL.
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
2:10 AM

Post #1037514

Oh, Molly, so good to hear that you're OK. We've been worried.

I think just maybe that Frances will bid most of FL a fond farewell by tomorrow. I'm sure glad. I had enough already! And we haven't even had problems, other than being shut up inside the house.

I don't know how bad the garden will be battered, as I can't see much of it from the windows. What I could see is in the garage, or up against the house!

But the worrying about everyone has been nerve-wracking I'm sure to all of us.

I'm sure glad you didn't suffer too much damage at your new place. It's good to at least find out the challenges there, anyway.

Hugs to all in the path of Frances, as well as the wonderful folks who've supported us throughout this whole mess.

Here's hoping Ivan takes a flying leap way way down deep into the innards of the earth for a visit to torment the devil, before wreaking havoc on all us poor drowned rats hanging on to this shakey soggy ship!

Lookout, GA! Here she comes! I wish it were otherwise, but won't be sorry to see the backside of her. Hope she treats you all kindly.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
3:24 AM

Post #1037596

LaSwe'pea
Shirtail [or shirttail] family are those relations that are connected by extended marriage threads or even marriages that have come asunder but they're still family you care about. ie: my x-husbands brother's wife's family. Or my cousin's husbands' sister's kids. nice bunch.
LOL izzat clear? ~Bloooms
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
4:11 AM

Post #1037630

Yes ma'am. Thank you. I get it now!

Now I have to go and write a letter to my sister's husband's brother's ex-mother-in-law, bless her heart. LOL.

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
4:46 AM

Post #1037651

That mango tree is a big old one. I didn't really think it would do this.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
4:48 AM

Post #1037652

Here's where the big limbs landed.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
4:52 AM

Post #1037656

When the tree hit the phone line, it pulled the hook out of the fascia and sprung it back. It's embedded in the wall of my exercise/all purpose building.

After that I was afraid to go outside at all. We had to leash the dogs up and walk them in the front yard. I was afraid more of the tree would come down.

Today all is well, the phone line is repaired and the landlord chopped up the tree limbs and hauled them out for pickup.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
4:57 AM

Post #1037659

Gadzooks! At least you're ok.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
5:30 AM

Post #1037674

Gee Molly, I was picturing a little eight- to ten-foot tree, but that's a big 'un!!! Glad you are okay! (Did anything else get ripped up? Need some of that portulaca you sent me?).

Jean
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
6:06 AM

Post #1037685

Ouch, that's a nasty wound on that tree! Think it will survive? That looked like a major trunk, and it's ripped up pretty bad. I hope it makes it!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
8:00 AM

Post #1037750

It's good to see folks checking in...Glad to hear from you guys, and even to hear third-hand about some other areas we've not heard from directly yet.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
11:22 AM

Post #1037798

Wow Molly lucky that tree missed all your buildings. And Judith, I was worried when I heard y'all were getting the storm. We weren't able to continue full time hurricane watch. We've had to switch different plugs around for different things. Sometimes TV or computer, sometimes fans and lights. What a choice to have to make.

Hopefully life here will get back to normal soon. We are told by the power company that they will be taking care of the larger power outages before our little row of 3 houses! We are not a priority. Needless to say It is hot and sweaty here and now we have the added onslaught of hungry mosquitoes. The come in in droves every time we open the door so we have to be fast. Try to explain that to the dogs!

We have lots of debris around, our oak trees have been cleared of all little and weak branches. I have a few small ornamental trees down and my poor, poor Plumeria lost one large center section, 2 large branches. On a brighter note I now have two nice cuttings.

The baby squirrels are still doing fine. They seem to have really good appetites! It will be nice to find a Petco or PetSmart open today so I can get some formula and bottles. Aren't they cute??? Shall I call them Charley and Frances? Yuck, yuck!

Paul and I are waiting to hear if our office is open...I think it will be because emergency service calls are starting to come in to the on call tech. We ran out of water (except a few drinking water jugs). The camper somehow lost it's water...so there have been no real showers...ick. At least if the office has power I can wash my hair. Hard to believe how excited I am by the thought!!
I'm not proud. I will stand in the back drive and wash it!! LOL

Where is Darius...has anyone heard from her? I know her mom is very ill so I hope all is well.

More later! Thanks everyone for being here!

Stacey

Thumbnail by Floridian

BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
11:40 AM

Post #1037816

Checking in.

All is fine here. We have 1 tree laying on an electrical line, but still have power. The up side to that, is if it had just fallen in the yard, I would have had to take care of it. Since it landed on a wire, and is hanging by the wire, the power company will take care of it.

Outside of that, nothing exciting.

Now we await Ivan.

Stacey...We have an emergency animal clinic in our office complex that took in about a half a dozen squirrels over the weekend. They're not far from you, if you want to get some care for them. They stabilize them and then get them to "halfway houses" before they're released back into the wild. They're open weekends, and from about 6 p.m. until 8 a.m.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
1:00 PM

Post #1037883

We're sure glad to see you checking in! Lots of folks were worrying about you.

Do you have a phone number for the clinic? These little squirrels seem okay so far. They have very healthy appetites, output too :) I have them on a 4 hour feeding schedule and they each eat 1.5 - 2 cc of formula. They cuddle all the time, stretching and yawning. One was real twitchy the first day, I was worried but now it seems calm.

We have lots of trees down along the roads to work, one blocked entirely by a huge grand oak. It's over to the south so it went down in the first part of the storm. It's partly sunny today with long streamers of gray clouds, all in all a real pretty day. Good news because that means all the power crews will be working. I have high hopes for power being restored for us!
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
1:08 PM

Post #1037888

Stacey,

Their info is:

Animal Emergency Clinic of Brandon. 693 W Lumsden Rd Brandon, FL 33511-5911 Phone: (813) 684-3013

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
1:33 PM

Post #1037918

Thanks!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
2:34 PM

Post #1038018

BT, good to hear all is well!

Stacy, Charley and Frances/Francis are really neat. Maybe a new thread in the wildlife forum? A lot of us will enjoy tracking their progress. Thats a good thing you are doing!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
2:40 PM

Post #1038023

Hi...Glad to see everyone back and busy.

I wrote to Darius...got an answer this morning...she has been gone a few days and didn't have access to a computer! She is OK though. Jo

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
2:45 PM

Post #1038120

Hi, friends! Glad to know my absence was noticed. I was here in spirit, though, and did my share of worrying about y'all. Glad to see so many folks reporting in safely.

I'm okay, just got home after being away 4 days and no computer where I was staying. I've been helping my friend Bud re-wire 2 rooms, insulate and hang sheetrock plus hang 3 new doors in those rooms. Glad to see I haven't forgotten how, LOL. I supply all the knowledge and he supplies most of the muscle. Makes a good team.

I have to go back for a couple more days to finish up but needed to come home, check mail, catch up somewhat on DG, get more clothes, etc. Plus we are supposed to get wind-driven heavy rain tonight and tomorrow so I have to bring plants and deck furniture inside before I go back.

We have had a steady but fairly light rain since about 10pm last night and a few strong gusts of wind, but now I see some strong bands on the radar coming our way soon.

My half-sister in Kissimmee telephoned in tears at additional damage to her house from Frances (where she has not even been able to stay since Charley). She says the wait for estimates and insurance $ is long, never mind getting contractors.

And Ivan the Terrible looms...

Cute naked babies, Stacey! Glad you were able to at least rescue these two.

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
2:49 PM

Post #1038127

Hello, darius.
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2004
3:25 PM

Post #1038183

Darius, I missed you, especially in 'Grandmother's apron to which I responded but feel no one is very interested the last post I scanned a picture especially for you.

I hope you have a minute to see it, so glad you are OK
Hugs, Maria
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
3:46 PM

Post #1038226

Hi all. I am at work in Ft. Mill, SC - we are in the middle of a tornado warning. There are alarms going off outside and the radio emergency system is giving reports to look at for the tornado and get under tables. It is North heading towards Mecklenburg county. I hope it goes away before it gets to my county where my son is in day care...
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
4:05 PM

Post #1038264

How scary for you with your son at day care. We're all here praying that everything is okay!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2004
4:08 PM

Post #1038268

I can't help but wonder how many of our Middle Eastern enemies think that these hurricanes and storms are the wrath of Allah against us.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
4:12 PM

Post #1038276

Surely the wisdom of Allah would have taken out DC instead of Florida?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
4:18 PM

Post #1038284

Terre, think you got that right. LOL Probably some folks in Fla think that anyway.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2004
4:55 PM

Post #1038486

Wasn't it FL that indirectly got George W. Bush elected? ;-)
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2004
4:57 PM

Post #1038492

No political discussions. :-)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
4:58 PM

Post #1038495

Therein lies the wrath! LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2004
5:00 PM

Post #1038503

It was just a joke, not a political statement. Hence the ;-) Personally, I hate political discussions.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2004 10:03 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
5:10 PM

Post #1038525

And, hence the "LOL." LOL

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 7, 2004
5:18 PM

Post #1038531

It sure is good to see that so many have made it through the storm with only minor damage! Now to see Pati posting again will be the icing on the cake.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004

Post #1038533

SHOOT - I wasn't being political, just a comment on how we pretty much like to 'blame' WdC for 'bout everything. Sometimes with reason, - but THAT would be gettin' political. LOL

There's a thread to the effect that all the good guys were put in Wash State and... 'should see what I put in DC' in J&C fourm.
~Blooms
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004

Post #1038536

Me too Kelli! My father always tries to get me to debate with him as his views are opposite of mine.

I will tell you a 'funny' about my brainiac brother-in-law though. He believes (no really) that Martha Stewart took the 'fall' for both Enron and George W. Bush. Don't ask me to explain, b/c I don't understand either! I just try not to laugh out loud when he gets on one of his uninformed tirades! It's too funny!!!

This message was edited Sep 7, 2004 12:21 PM
Carol7

(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
5:28 PM

Post #1038557

I'm so glad to see so many folks posting that they are safe and sound. Linemen from my DH's office are on their way down to help restore power, as well as our local Red Cross and FEMA folks. From what DH told me it may take a while to get power restored in some areas because in some cases it is the chicken and the egg theory - fallen trees have to be taken care of before the power lines can be replaced, and where the power lines can be repaired quickly they may not be able to get power to everyone in the immediate area because of fallen trees further away.

This is just a gentle suggestion, but please think twice about asking the power company folks when they think power will be restored and why it is taking so long. Those men and women are putting in alot of long hours and they can't get their job done when their truck pulls up and everyone runs out of their houses asking them the same questions over and over again - athough I agree that is a normal reaction.

After Isabel, there were still some things that we couldn't get until four weeks later because they kept selling out so quickly. If there's anything I can do to help you all out please let me know. Carol

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #1038560

Ya gotta love 'im, bless his heart.

edit to add: posting at once, this was in re to the 'brainiac brother'

This message was edited Sep 7, 2004 11:44 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
5:41 PM

Post #1038581

Love that phrase, Blooms! The older I get, the more I hear it. :-)
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
5:41 PM

Post #1038582

I even saw in todays paper that Xcel energy is sending 16 trucks and crews from Colorado for several weeks. They will be there in time for Ivan!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
5:47 PM

Post #1038591

I remember driving across NC all the way up to NH immediately after Hurricane Fran. Unbelievable how many convoys of different Elec. Utility companies I saw heading for the worst of the damage.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
5:59 PM

Post #1038608

We got 5 1/2 inches of rain yesterday and all night, and starting up again.. At least the winds have nearly died down for now..and the electricity is on...for now..We will have a lot of clean=up..we have a good many pecan and huge oak limbs down all over the place..Our road was blocked yesterday by a downed pine tree..Hubby and BIL moved it with the tractors..Also, a bit of the metal topping on our produce shed came loose.

Larkie
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2004
11:48 PM

Post #1039035

Glad to see all our DG peeps have checked wxcept Patischell...hoping we here from her soon...
BT, you and Floridian are getting good at battening down the hatches! Hey Stacey...dogs out and tearing up the yard yet?
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2004
12:19 AM

Post #1039086

glad to see all is safe!!!

those babies are so cute !! I have never seen babies before !! are they eating for you?

cheryle
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2004
12:59 AM

Post #1039143

Larkie, you doing the backstroke out to feed the animals?
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2004
1:31 AM

Post #1039192

i would be doing the same thing,, i would be helping the animals and peps out !!!

gald everyone is safe !!
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2004
2:18 AM

Post #1039275

Is the power company setting up some sort of schedule and/or letting people know when their area is due to have power restored? Or are they letting people sit in the dark, just waiting for a truck to show up?

I am asking for future reference (for my area), so I'd have some idea of what to expect.

The last time my area lost power for over a week was after Hurricane Betsy, but I was 11 years old at the time and don't remember all of the details -- just the misery.

I'm glad to see our neighbors in Florida have managed to weather the storm. Hoping to see a post from Patti soon.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
12:45 PM

Post #1039698

OK, my husband called me this morning and said that my Castor's are flat on the ground! I will take a pic when I get home this afternoon! Stupid hurricane!!

Thumbnail by ncgardenaddict

vic

September 8, 2004
2:21 PM

Post #1039841

Frances, GO HOME!!!!!!!!

Wherever that is...back to the ocean I guess...We have rain, rain, and more rain. Our road is closed, Interstate 40 at the base of Black Mountain is closed due to mud slides. Schools are closed. I saw Chimney Rock, NC on the national news this morning and it didn't look pretty. But we have electric and our house is dry and I'm very thankful. Sending all soppy wet hugs!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
3:05 PM

Post #1039891

CNN reported an outbreak of 40 tornados in South Carolina yesterday!! An all time record for that state!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
3:15 PM

Post #1039899

Yea, that's where I work. There were alarms going off yesterday but we didn't see any in my area (York County.)
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #1039950

All of Central NC is under a tornado watch this morning. One has touched down south and east of us (several counties away). Too much rain, and too muggy.

Glad you're hanging in there, Vic. What a mess, eh?
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2004
4:17 PM

Post #1040125

be safe, shoe...frances has made its way up to SE PA now - but luckily all we have a flood alerts
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2004
4:20 PM

Post #1040130

That Frances just keeps on going! What a mess, ya'll be safe up there.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
4:35 PM

Post #1040155

Pati, check in!!!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2004
4:56 PM

Post #1040196

We're getting the remnants of Frances tonight - heavy rain warning is in effect for overnight. Nothing like you all had, of course! Hope everyone's drying out ok.

Saw some pictures of Ft. Pierce on the news yesterday - looks pretty messy.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2004
5:32 PM

Post #1040260

It is like an energizer bunny the size of texas!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2004
6:44 PM

Post #1040340

No doubt! We've gotten around 2" of rain and they're calling for up to 2-3" more before it's all said and done. Thank GOD we had the basement waterproofed in 2002. This has been the wettest spring and summer in a long time here.

Coming to you live from the B in COLUMBUS:

Thumbnail by gardenwife

faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 8, 2004
6:46 PM

Post #1040343

I've been watching this thread and the earlier one, and am glad to hear everyone came through OK. I received an email from a friend in Tampa Bay this morning which has me very disturbed. I quote a portion of it below, and invite your comments.

"The biggest problem caused by this hurricane was not to the people of Florida whom were very inconvenienced, but to the estuaries of Tampa Bay that is being devastated by a leaking Gypsum holding facility which has a levy that has been breached and leaks, admittedly, 40 million gallons of highly acidic sludge into the north end of the bay. One day later, yesterday, the fisherman pulled crab traps and all the crabs are dead. the mangroves are browning already. Snook, snapper, drum, rays, you name it are floating already. the news is hush hush about this.

I'd really like to know how somebody allowed a company to store such toxic waste in an open facility that could expose the surrounding area to such danger. It is like a giant rectangular lake with levy sides. the leak occurred at the base of the levy. they have not been able to stop the breach and continues to spill undisclosed amounts of toxins in the bay. No one company should be allowed to profit on the backs of nature and mankind. Someone needs to held accountable. there should have been a holding dyke or sort of mote surrounding the facility

An entire ecosystem has been killed already."

Why haven't we heard anything about this?

Marilyn
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
6:47 PM

Post #1040346

Yeah and, its full of itself like Texas, too. Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL
pati45
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2004
6:55 PM

Post #1040358

I am not the Pati you are looking for, however just wanted to tell you she may not have power restored yet. I have 12 people in my office who have not had power since Friday and some that will have to wait another 2 to 3 weeks before their power is restored. I am sure she is ok and will respond when able. I just got my power back today and pray everyone else will soon. So glad everyone is safe! Love and {{{Hugs}}} from another Pati!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
7:01 PM

Post #1040366

Hugs back to ya! :-)

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2004
7:37 PM

Post #1040415

Thank you for letting us know...we sure are worried about her!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
10:16 PM

Post #1040652

Well, here is what remains of my Castor Beans. Lilypon, I hope I can still salvage some seeds from this mess!! These were the healthiest plants I've had ever. Of course compared to what others have experienced I feel blessed!

ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
10:17 PM

Post #1040654

Here is the sky right now. Getting better!

ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
10:39 PM

Post #1040676

Ok, so maybe I 'spoke' too soon. Now the rain is starting again!!!

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2004
11:24 PM

Post #1040726

I wish Darius would get home from that remodel job and post so we'd know she's not caught in a mudslide now that Frances is in her neck of the woods. It's not as though 'Back of Beyond' is listed on the maps.

Nevermind... she's posted in Chat. no worries

This message was edited Sep 8, 2004 5:29 PM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2004
11:27 PM

Post #1040732

Oooooooooooooh boy!! :((( Not a good lookin' sky you have there ncgardenaddict!! I hope one that looks that way stays away from here...only ours will be carrying s***n***o***w (forecasted for further north)...and I hope it stays way, way, way up there!! Going out to pot up some plants right now, the edges of town got f**r**o**s**t last night...

I hope Frances isn't too hard on you and you can enjoy some of your remaining plants *and* share their bounty! ;)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2004
11:43 PM

Post #1040745

Talked to my daughter in Boynton Beach today. She took a good cold shower because the baby wipes for the past days just didn't cut it for her. Still no electric but she was called to come back to work about 18 miles away. Have been watching the rain and tornado watches move towards us. Here in southcentral Pa. we are under flood watch. Southern counties next to Maryland border are under tornado watch - the same band that came up the seaboard today. We have had steady rain all day but nothing out of theordinary. My DD was able to drive 10 miles and get ice and bottled water today. She considers herself lucky as she says she has never seen such devestation. She was familiar with tornados in Arkansas but says they passed quickly and cut a narrower swatch of destruction.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2004
11:49 PM

Post #1040753

Hey, Everyone! Back home for at least overnight, which my cat will appreciate.

I have no real idea how much rain we have received, but not as bad as it could have been. Yesterday before I left, I emptied my overflowing gauge at 5" and today at 4.5" when I got home.

The lake is up about 4 feet. They had started to drain it about a month ago (part of the TVA system so they can dam the incoming water for winter electricity production). Now it's back up to the early August level, as much of the current rain drains down to the lake. And, despite what the radar maps show, it is still raining after 2 days of Frances.

We have some flooding and small mudslides locally but not as bad as near Boone NC and Asheville, NC, where even part of I-40 is closed because of mudslides.
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

September 9, 2004
12:04 AM

Post #1040771

My sister (not pattischell) lives in Ft. Pierce. She lost her mobile home but she and her husband and dog survived. They sheltered in an American Legion hall. My sister spent two days under a desk in the back room. Part of the roof from the Legion was destroyed. They were about 2 miles down the road from the infamous marina that was being shown on tv. She is very shook up but alive. The Legion is open for business and serving meals and drinks (warm ones) to any and all that come by. They have no power, no phones and no ice...but are doing all they can for anyone that needs it. Sis says she will never live in a mobile home again and is looking for an apartment (they have a lead on one but have not been able to finalize it yet). Things are not great in Ft. Pierce, but people are coping, carrying on, and careing for each other.

And then comes Ivan...
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
12:12 AM

Post #1040778

Darius, hope you come out of this mess OK!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
12:17 AM

Post #1040783

ncgardenaddict, we will be okay from all this rain and flooding, mudslides, etc.

The real worry is Ivan.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
12:26 AM

Post #1040792

Yes. The bad news is that now the ground is so saturated! Just like my Castor's that fell over - trees will be next. Let's all keep praying for each other.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2004
1:50 AM

Post #1040882

Hi Everyone!

We've moved into our camper last night. Ahhhhh, air conditioning and showers! No computer but I'll sacrifice! LOL That's the only real drawback! I'm using DH's laptop tonight but tomorrow it goes to work :(

TECO is definitely letting us sit and wait. They first told us yesterday by 4pm, now we are being told 3-5 days but maybe up to 3 weeks. We are one of the three adjacent properties in our area that have no power. We are not high priority. DH met a TECO lineman that is also without power at his home. They were in line at an electrical company to buy generators (we need one for work too)
The lineman isn't allowed to bring his truck home to fix his own transformer...he was told "sorry not your area." Poor thing! How frustrating must that be??

It's been raining on and off all day and we're hearing some major thunder off in the distance. The sky is really something. I have pictures too that maybe I can post tomorrow sometime if I have computer access. I'm not working because one of us has to stay with the generator so the animals can stay cool. Can't leave them home alone and can't take them to work.

People here are in a sit and wait pattern right now...homes are left boarded up, people are gathering supplies already and are determined to be more prepared if Ivan heads this way and no store can keep generators in stock. DH and others waited in line for 3 hours!

The baby squirrels are fine, they're eating really well. DH told me there's a lady here in town that has taken in over 200 babies! That must be a full time job!

pekasky, I've been told about a toxic spill in the bay by a coworker. I was told that it had been neutralized and there was no enviromental impact...Right! Sure! We believe that! Interesting that it was not on the bit of news I managed to hear this evening. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow

I'm glad to find everyone weathering the storm. It's been a long wet few days. I hope Pati checks`in soon but she was is one of the hardest hit areas.

Talk to y'all tomorrow! Take care!

Stacey
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
2:00 AM

Post #1040895

Stacey, so glad you are OK! I hope that you weather Ivan!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
2:06 AM

Post #1040906

If Ivan keeps up the speed and track that it's on now I hope all Floridians will considering camping in OHIO or whatever state isn't in line for a storm!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
2:09 AM

Post #1040911

Stacey, so glad for a ground-lever report of what's really going on... plus knowing you are okay even if inconvenienced. Wow, Showers and AC!! You are among the very few Fortunate Ones in FL!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
2:14 AM

Post #1040921

Anyone can stay with me! I left my DH and toddler downstairs b/c I can't sleep... Hope all are well.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
2:16 AM

Post #1040926

Floridian...yikes! That is awful for you and all the peeps without power...I sure feel for ya. So glad you have that camper! Keep us posted as you hobble along.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
2:41 AM

Post #1040986

Stay safe and strong, Stacey. Thanks for the squirrel update, too. You folks are in our prayers.
faeden
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2004
7:33 AM

Post #1041200

Stacey: Here's what I could find on the Web re the Tampa Bay gypsum spill into the water supply:

http://www.tampabaylive.com/stories/2004/09/040908cargill.shtml

The above certainly downplays the previous day's story:

http://www.tampabaylive.com/stories/2004/09/040907gypsum.shtml

This one says only 18,000 gallons of wastewater, but that's not what I was told, and not what the above stories state:

http://www.saintpetersburgtimes.com/2004/09/06/Hillsborough/Acidic__radioactive_w.shtml

It sounds like they're downplaying the problem to me.

Marilyn
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
2:36 PM

Post #1041429

Checking in with everyone...We had some damage here in Bama..minor to what most got from Frances but, enuff to give me & DH a huge headache...

Our carport was crushed and half of our dining room was taken out by a huge Popcorn tree! The winds picked up here early monday morning & by late monday afternoon were gusting to 35mph and monday nite after the rain started and wind gusts of 35 to 45 mph was just more than that tree could take. the tree is now up and the roof is patched, things are starting to get back to normal here..I hope

Now comes the task of digging thro the plants and other things we had in the carport...needless to say theres a lot of damage there..I had put a lot of plants there for protection from wind & rain..Kinda funny now..so much for that theroy..lol Have to laugh to keep from crying

Anyway, wanted to post and let folks know whats up, havent been here and posted since this happened and figured someone was wondering..

Also, I have a few open trades out and need to let those folks know i'm not trying to be under handed here...Most know me well enuff to know better :-)

Hugs & prayers to all, Carol

will be sending out email to all trades open later today after I've gone thro the mess...DH is now standing behind me with that look so i need to get out there and help him :-)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
2:41 PM

Post #1041431

Carol, what a mess you must have! Just remember, "things" are replaceable and you are not. No good trader will mind, so don't worry about the trades.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
2:54 PM

Post #1041459

Glad ya'll are ok and out and about. Keep one eye open for Ivan!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2004
3:06 PM

Post #1041480

Hi all,

We're getting the remnants of Frances today...rainfall at the moment is about 30 mm/hour - that's 1.2 inches for you US folks! :-). Nothing like what you all had to endure, but still more than we've had for quite some time. No need to water the garden this week...

Watching for any news of Pati!

jcangemi
Clovis, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2004
3:14 PM

Post #1041492

Yeah, Carol...trades are the last thing you need on your mind right now...we know they'll be on their way when you can handle them...Priorities!!!. . Sorry you didn't escape Francis' wrath. Take care ..Janet

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
3:15 PM

Post #1041495

I posted above (or somewhere) that Asheville, NC which is my old home, had 4-1/2" of rain from Frances.

To show what even that amount of rain does to a mountain community, it resulted in flooding of over 5 feet deep in a downtown area, with cars underwater and/or turned over and pushed aside.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
3:33 PM

Post #1041527

Paitshell posted in parking lot.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
4:27 PM

Post #1041600

Yea! Pati's back! (and SAFE)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
4:44 PM

Post #1041642

darius...:-)
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2004
5:32 PM

Post #1041728

carol...so sad to hear that frances wreaked havoc with you! remember - whatever you want from my garden [including plants from you!] is always available!!!! keep the faith!
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2004
8:13 PM

Post #1042067

Carol,

I'm so glad you are okay, tried to call you but no answer, now I know why.

Tell me what I can do to help and what I can bring when I come up.

All my plants were in the gym so they did just fine. I can bring what you like.

Molly
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2004
10:30 PM

Post #1042269

This has really been some storm! She dumped so much rain (and wind) in so many states and on into Canada I know everyone will be glad to see the last of her.

We finally have electric so may life can get back to some semblance of normal. My poor DH says he doesn't want to put everything back just to have to do it again in a few days...can't say I blame him! I've only just moved plants out of the house today so they could get some rain...of course it hasn't rained since but we have water again so I'll be able to take care of them.

Pekasky, thanks for the links...I'll try to look at them later or in the morning. I decided to come in to work after DH got home just to catch up a bit (and get out of the trailer) but now I'm heading home.

I'm sure glad that most everyone came out of this storm okay...

Stacey
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2004
10:52 PM

Post #1042301

glad to see everyone is safe,,, I will have to call aunt to see how they are doing in NC they are in Cherokee,, I don't know how bad that area was hit, my brother is in SC, and other aunt and grandfather are in NC,, they have not called us,, I will have to call to get updates

take care all !! thank God your safe !!

cheryle
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2004
5:23 AM

Post #1042764

darius, jcangemi, Toby, & Molly, Thank you all for the kind words and offers for plants..Most plants will live, they look like someone sat on them, all broken up and stuff, but hey...at least my family didnt get smashed! could have been so much worse OMG! I don't even want to think about that...We were lucky and being watched over 4sure..

Glad to see so many posting and no one hurt...

Hugs Carol
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2004
2:42 PM

Post #1043080

Wow...finally getting to check in. Am glad that all our DGers made it through Frances safe with only property loss.

Since we live in a mobile, we evacuated (mandatory for our area for mobiles) to our nieces CBS house about 10 miles south of us. 14 of us there (5 adults, 5 kids, 4 dogs - not counting the fish!) 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom...no power or phone from Saturday afternoon on...we even lost cell phones from Sunday through Tuesday. Tons of rain & very strong wind. No damage at niece's. Our place lost 2 great big pines (but very fortunately, they both missed our house!!) lots of Oak limbs down, some roof damage, with a major leak in one of our bathrooms, and a few minor leaks throughout the house. We got power back at niece's place on Wednesday afternoon, at our place yesterday. Brought all our stuff back home yesterday evening (had our van & Suburban packed full with clothing, food & miscellaneous items).

Now, with Ivan threatening to come up the west coast, don't know whether to unpack or not. Unfortunately our only highway worthy vehicle is a PT Cruiser...will fit the family (not including the pets, though) and maybe a weeks worth of luggage. The van & Suburban both have transmission problems and probably wouldn't make it 50 miles from here...

If it looks like Ivan isn't going to change course or intensity, we're planning on putting everything we can into a small (about 12'x12') basement we have (yep, an actual basement in Florida - it's under our shed, and houses our well pump) and packing the family into the car and heading out...not sure where yet; we've got family up in DeFuniak Springs (which probably won't be a very good 'hiding place' from Ivan; it's located in the panhandle), friends in Jacksonville and are even considering possibly just taking off for DH's hometown up in SW Ohio. I hate the thought of being away from here and not knowing how our home weathers the storm, but safety for the family has to be the first consideration. Still don't know what we'll do with the pets, though, as there just isn't room for them in the vehicle (have 1 small dog, 1 big dog, 1 cat, 4 fish). If Ivan weakens, we'll probably try sticking it out at niece's again; at least there we can try to get out and check on our place from time to time.

One weather person I heard the other day said something about the possibility that if Ivan got strong enough, it could acutally implode upon itself, basically destroying itself. I just can not pray that the storm changes paths, as that would just put someone else in harm's way, but I am praying for a miracle. Hope that all our DGers remain safe.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2004
3:09 PM

Post #1043105

Hi,

Just wanted to let anyone know, who hasn't seen it yet, that there's also a new thread in this forum for Ivan. When it rains, it pours...literally!

Regards,
Shannon

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2004
7:57 PM

Post #1043585

email from a cousin on the upper east coast of FL:
Well, based on our easy go with Hurricane Charley, I guess we were
overly optimistic about Frances' impact on us north Florida folks. In a
word, it really beat up on us!

It all started with a couple of roof leaks. While I was positioning
buckets in the attic I heard a gaggle of shingles blowing off. Soon the
drips became streams of water which dozens of buckets couldn't have
contained. Realizing that it was a futile effort, I told my wife that
there was nothing I could do but pray that the torrential rain and
unrelenting wind would cease...it didn't, for days!

Within minutes the ceiling drywall panels became saturated. First
about 75 sq. ft. of the ceiling over our loft came crashing down
flooding our once cozy TV watching area. Luckily neither my wife
nor I were standing beneath it or we'd surely have sustained serious
injuries. Not long thereafter about 100 sq. ft. of the ceiling over our
living room (about 18 ft high in this area) broke away and smacked the
floor with a booming crash. Thank God, once again none of us were under
this massive breakaway. And you wouldn't believe the water; fortunately
we replaced the living room carpet with tile soon after we moved in.
Needless to say we spent hours mopping up and sweeping out the water
which, because of Frances' slow movement, only abated the next day.

The following day our next task was getting someone to nail down some
tar paper over the roof's many holes and open plywood seams. As you
might imagine, we weren't the only folks with water problems and there
are only two major roofing contractors in Palm Coast. We managed to
temporarily patch the roof, but we knew that it'd only be good for winds
up to about 20 mph...meanwhile rumors were already flying that,
alas, Hurricane Ivan was headed our way.

So here we are, looking at Ivan The Terrible's projected path that looks
alot like the track that Hurricane Charley took, i.e., entering around
Tampa and thence slicing northeastward across the state. The fact that
our insurance company has yet to dispatch an adjuster to survey our
devastation isn't making us happy either, especially when we're told
that they won't pay for any permanent repairs (e.g., a new roof) until
the situation is assessed. A moot point actually as the aforementioned
local roofers couldn't get to us before Ivan slams through anyway. FEMA
isn't offering much help either, and they're almost impossible to
contact by phone! To say that we're bummed out would be putting it mildly!

Unless Ivan's path swings westward into the Gulf of Mexico by Sunday,
we're going to cut a shuck, head inland and north, and let the cane have
its way with us. We just don't wish to be around to witness it! In
the meantime, maybe the law of averages will work in our favor, but
events of the past week certainly don't make for optimism.

Some of you have asked if there's anything that could be done for us.
We appreciate your concern; but, other than praying that Ivan spares
Florida another onslaught, there's really not much anyone can do at this
point. As Chester A. Riley (of the old radio show, The Life of Riley)
used to say, "what a revoltin (sic) development this is!"

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2004
8:05 PM

Post #1043591

Shaking my head and staring at nothin in particular.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2004
8:40 PM

Post #1043633

Wow! What a mess. How scary for them to be in the house as it seems and almost does come apart. Can't blame them for wanting to leave Ivan far, far behind. I know a few people that are hoping for flights out Sunday night and Monday. We will have decisions to make if Ivan comes into Tampa...I can hardly bear to think about it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2004
11:20 PM

Post #1043778

Another cousin in FL heard from (just 30 miles NW of Gainesville, FL):

Quoting:We just got power back today...HAAAAHHH.  We had our first showers on Wed. at Albert's barn as he got power then. We had no damage to house, lots of trees down, no power for five days and no phone for two, but other than wanting to murder everyone, we are ok. 
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2004
11:40 PM

Post #1043804

I hope you all stay safe !!! from what the latest reports, its going to hit FL again,,,

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

I feel so bad to all of you !!! be safe and keep us posted !! I'm hoping something happens and it turns or something...

cheryle
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2004
12:15 PM

Post #1044145

Here are some pictures from Hurricane Frances. http://hurricanetrack.com/photos/ We'd heard that the Asheville area had almost 250 mudslides...after seeing these pictures I can understand. Unfortunately the pictures aren't identified but you can see Florida where there are state trooper cars and Asheville when you see the signs for the Biltmore Estate. If anyone can ID any others I'd be interested

http://hurricanetrack.com - scroll about halfway down for other pics and short videos
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2004
1:44 PM

Post #1044172

wow those are some great pictures !!! those poor people
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2004
2:00 PM

Post #1044189

Awesome links, Stacy!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
3:50 PM

Post #1044409

Stacey, some of the photos look like the seaside condos from Jax to SC, and look more like SC to me.

#50, 54, 56, 64 and 65 are all in the Biltmore Village area of Asheville.

Does anyone wonder why I fear hurricane remnants coming up into our mountains and dumping a lot of rain?

Biltmore Village is at the bottom of a long and gradual downhill run from downtown Asheville, just past the hospitals, and then there's another somewhat shorter uphill run to I-40. The Swannanoa River and Sweeten Creek both run through Biltmore Village, and both are notable for flooding in extreme rains.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
12:28 AM

Post #1045009

darius ,,

I have family that lives in NC and SC and I hear all about the normal mudslided from the run off of the mountians,, my aunt who like in Cherokee was telling us about I40,, they live by the river there and it always worries me as I'm affraid they will float away or be washed away my mudslides,,

I dont blame you at all for worring,,,I know I would be..

cheryle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America