Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

tomatoe pie recipe

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

I have misplaced the tomatoe pie recipe that I copied off here last fall. Could someone please repost it.
Finally have ripe tomatoes to try it with.

Thanks, Maxine

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Here it is..

TOMATO PIE:
1 BAKED 8 or 9 inch PIE CRUST: enough for one crust and then a little more. :) (I use 1 1/4 c. all purpose flour, 1 stick cold butter, a pinch of salt, up to 1/4 c. ice water. Cut flour, butter, and salt with a pastry blender until mealy. With a mixer, add 1 tablespoon at a time of ice water until it cleans side of bowl, usually end up using only 3 tbsp. Shape into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, store in refrigerator at least 1/2 hour.) Roll out on floured countertop to desired size, cut edges how you like. Bake at 375 for approx 10 minutes.

INSIDE:
5 or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick.
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil (genovese is the best)
salt, pepper, garlic pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each)
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese (sometimes I use a mixture of cheddar, colby, and monterey jack)
3/4 c. mayonnaise (I only use Hellmann's)

Layer 1/2 of the tomatoes in baked pie shell. Sprinkle 1/2 basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder on top.
Repeat.
Mix cheese and mayonnaise together and spread over tomato layers, right to inside edge of crust.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

yum yum yum! This recipe deserves it's own thread!

Pioneer, CA

I found this recipe here last year and it's become one of our favorite summer dishes--- I had never heard of tomato pie--- so glad you posted it!!! Tnanks lots--
Jacquie

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks Larkie. Now to find time to make it before we go on vacation!!

Maxine

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I am so excited that everyone loves my tomato pie recipe so much :) I make so many of them and sell them at the farmers' markets, I get emails, calls, and requests all the time for this. I've decided not to give out my recipe anymore, but you all have "connections". Have a super duper day and enjoy :) Kathy

A few hints I should have posted with the original posting.....make sure you drain your sliced tomatoes or your crust will get soggy after baking pie. Because I sell a lot of pies, I use aluminum disposable pie pans. I have found that if I poke several tiny holes in the bottom of the pie plate, the crust will not bubble too bad. :)

This message was edited Sep 8, 2004 9:29 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Kathy, Thank you so much for this recipe! We had it tonight and it was loved by all!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad you liked it, that makes me happy :)

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Was a hit at our Luau! Thank you Misty!

Verona, ON

Every good cook has their secrets Kathy. Glad you shared one of yours.
D

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I placed this thread on watch a year ago, since I was near the end of my tomato harvest then. Today, I finally got a chance to try it out!

After selecting some perfectly ripened tomatoes from the garden (weighing in at around two pounds), I began building the pie. Don't you just want to eat it up already?

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

As Kathy suggested, I drained the tomatoes after peeling and slicing them. I'm soooo glad she mentioned that, 'cause I had tomato juice dripping all over the counter as I sliced! Funny how you don't have that problem with store-bought tomatoes. lol

It was hard not to incorporate a bit of the basil as I spread the mixture of sharp cheddar cheese and mayo over the top of the pie, but I didn't worry much about that. ;) I might try shredding the cheese instead of grating it next time so it's not so bumpy, but that was more work than I cared to take on in anticipation of the goodies to come from the oven in 30 minutes.

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

Okay, I'll have to admit now that I used a store-brand pie crust and regular basil. Gonna try Kathy's butter crust next time, for sure, but once again, it was all about instant gratification.

Since I didn't want to brown the upper crust any further, I covered it with foil. Used a nifty technique I found elsewhere on taking a square piece of aluminum foil, folding it into quarters, and cutting a circle out of the center, then placed the foil on top of the pie and crimped the extra beneath the lip of the pie pan.

Here's where it is cooling on the rack. I won't show further pics of how I took a slice while it was still warm, 'cause then you'd know how big of a slice I made. *GRIN*

And yeah, it was AWESOME!!! When SO1 came home after sharing some of the rest of our tomato harvest with the family, he sat down to have a piece before dinner. Told me if he wakes up early tomorrow, I might not have a chance for seconds.

Life is good! :)

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kathy!

*HUGS*
Donna

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti
Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

And..........? How did it come out? It's looks might pretty. Is it still in the oven? And if so, will you be taking a pic of it after it is baked? LOL

Makes me almost want to go make one :)

Hope you enjoy it. :) Kathy

Edited to say, I posted while Donna was and all questions are answered, LOL. Glad you enjoyed it. You have to try it to know how wonderful they are....that's for sure.

Looks great, yum!!!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2005 10:03 PM

Verona, ON

Oh yum Donna... I had forgotten Kathy's delicious recipe. Isn't it out of this world? Mine never stay around long enough to take pictures of it. Thanks Kathy and Donna now I have 1 more thing I can do with the gazillion tomatoes I have this year.
Dianne

Yay, Dianne! It certainly is fabulous, and I've already had a request to make another to share with the extended family in a week or so. SO1 and I are hoarding this first one and even had it for breakfast today, leaving just enough for one more meal. *GRIN*

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I have heard of eating it for breakfast....It is sort of like a quiche :) I am thrilled that y'all like it so much.

Funny thing happened, I joined the Homemaker's Club and the first thing they did was tell me that they were doing a cookbook and gave me papers to fill out my favorite recipes to be printed. One lady insisted I join because she loves my recipes. HMMM, I knew what they were thinking...I sent them recipes no one has ever heard of...ha, ha...nope, no tomato pie recipe.....not yet. :)

That wasn't nice of me, was it?...tee hee

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

lol misty.
Thanks for those photos.......it sure does look to die for. I printed the recipe out last year, and have it in a file. the problem is that we ont get cheddar cheese here, but I'm going to one of the greek islands in a couple of weeks, i am definately going to get some there just for this recipe....

tanks again

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Pebble, Use any kind of cheese you have. I have used Colby, Monterey Jack,. a mixture of 3 cheeses, try it with the best cheese you like there :) (Now I wouldn't use Limburger, but you know what I mean.) A nice soft cheese semi-mild cheese you might have :)

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

YEAH, but i'd never get that cheddar taste would I? but i will try it with New Kasar cheese, which is similar to mozzarella in texture......I think the other turkish cheeses are too strong. like the feta is way tooo strong.

I cant wait to try it. Im kinda scared to make the pie crust though.....in the states, i would always just buy one ready made.....ahhhhh for the ease of life in the united states..........

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Try it in phyllo, then. That'd be tasty! You could maybe also tone down the feta by mashing it with some yogurt, then mixing it into the mayo??? I do that for grilled vegetable sandwiches and it's delish.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

That New Kasar cheese sounds like it will work :) I'm not sure about the feta. Might be a bit strong. My friend likes to make it with Mozzarella, so try your NK cheese and let me know how it comes out :) Kathy

Believe me when I tell you it is one of the easiest pie crusts you will ever make :) if you follow my instructions :) K

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

ok, i am going to follow the pie crust directions and try it with the nk cheese and let you all know. i have a nic big bushy basil plant, that is just waiting to be used......
will make it up this weekend.

and if i cant get the pie dough right, i'll have some phyllo on hand too......

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Pebble, You must have been a Girl Scout, "Be Prepared"....I'll be anxious to hear how it comes out. :) Kathy

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I'll let you know.....I am salivating just at the prospect of eating it.....lol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am so glad that this has resurrected and just in time for fresh garden tomatoes.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

I stopped at the market and bought some phylllo, it seems easier than stressing over the pie doe. i am going to line a pie plate with it and bake it, do i need to put oil or butter on it while it bakes?
i even thought, i could make individual little pies, in a muffin tin, line it with phyllo then aadd the tomatoe and cheese mixture,
and as luck would have it, couple of weeks ago when i was in kos i picked up a jar of hellmans mayo.......and.........i had picked up some already shredded cheese there, i think it is like a mozzarella...i am going to use that too....
so, im off to the kitchen and turn my oven on, i think the last time my oven was on was at christmas time.......we dont bake much here....lol

I'll let you guys know how it turns out

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Pebble, Just be careful with the phyllo dough, it is quite thin, you might want to layer several layers. Be sure to drain your tomatoes, very, very well because the juice will seep into your bottom crust and make it fall apart.

:) I hoped you'd make the dough, it is really simple. But maybe I can talk you into doing it another time.

Lenjo, are you just now getting fresh garden tomatoes? Wow, we here in KY that sell at the farmers' markets would be tarred and feathered and run out of town if it took this long to get tomatoes, LOL.

Happy Day,
kathy

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

well......i'm not sure about the phyllo dough.....it turned pretty crispy.....but its in the oven now with the tomatoes etc. its smelling really good.....i have 15 minutes before i take it out of the oven.........
i think i wanted to make it right away, and my time is limited....so i thought it would be eaiser to do it like this. maybe is should have stayed with my original plans to do it over the weekend. Oh well. i had been reading ths thread over and over and finally i said, just do it.....

see ya'll

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Good for you....hmmm, you'll probably make another over the weekend anyhow. :) I can smell it all the way over here in KY. Smells really good :) Kathy

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

i just took it out of the oven....oh my god it looks so good.......it reminds me of my artichocke dip, its made with hellmans mayo, parmesan, olives, green chiles and artichoke hearts and baked, and the smell anyway smells just like it.....
i cant wait for my family to come home to eat it. is it better at room temp or hot?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Kathy, we have been getting a few for a month but only now are there enough to can.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Dagnabbit! And here I is with my maters beginning to decline.

Am thinking I should be heading to Pebble's house. MIght take me a while to get there so hold supper! :>)

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Hot. :) But honestly, I've made so many of them for sale, I can't eat them. People ask why I don't eat everything I cook....well, the smells take over and I just can't eat it. I should be skinny....

Horseshoe, I'll split the gas with you though.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

This pie is so good with any cheese, I also have made it with green tomatoes and Feta cheese..

Larkie

Waaaay Down South, GA

This pie is oh sooo good. I have made it before ... back when I first joined DG, but I have to confess this is the first time I've ever heard the neat trick with covering the edges of the pie. What a nifty trick! I've always tried to make those little strips stay on the edges, and that's for the birds! Thanks for the tip! ... Elaine

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Well.....the pie was delicisous, but I think the cheese i used most have had a very high oil contet, cause it was oozing with oil.....you know once he cheese melts.....but oh my....what flavor....i absolutely loved it..
very very tasty. even wih the phyllo, i thik it would be a lot better with pie dough. the plyllo was really thin, and you really couldnt tell it was there.

thanks for the recipe and all the tips....
i cant wait to go home and have some more.......

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

ha, ha......so glad you liked it. Yes, when my friend used Mozzarella, it was more "juicy", I like a combination of cheeses. It's one of those pies that's only limited by one's imagination. Put some bacon or ham in there, try the feta....make it half red, half green tomatoes (I've done that too)...put some fresh garlic in there. Go wild :)

Kathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

pebble, I think phyllo dough would work, but you'd have to use a bunch of layers & brush each one with olive oil or melted butter.

I like the idea of green tomatoes & feta cheese... sounds yummy!

All these variations are a fun aspect of sharing recipes on this forum. :-)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

misty - after seeing this recipe on this site for so long i finally tried it. i cheated with store bought pie crust but it cvame out perfect. thje taste was out of this word. thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.