Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Recipes: tomatoe pie recipe

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 329, Views: 4,315
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

September 6, 2004
7:10 PM

Post #1036992

I have misplaced the tomatoe pie recipe that I copied off here last fall. Could someone please repost it.
Finally have ripe tomatoes to try it with.

Thanks, Maxine

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
7:15 PM

Post #1037001

Here it is..

TOMATO PIE:
1 BAKED 8 or 9 inch PIE CRUST: enough for one crust and then a little more. :) (I use 1 1/4 c. all purpose flour, 1 stick cold butter, a pinch of salt, up to 1/4 c. ice water. Cut flour, butter, and salt with a pastry blender until mealy. With a mixer, add 1 tablespoon at a time of ice water until it cleans side of bowl, usually end up using only 3 tbsp. Shape into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, store in refrigerator at least 1/2 hour.) Roll out on floured countertop to desired size, cut edges how you like. Bake at 375 for approx 10 minutes.

INSIDE:
5 or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick.
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil (genovese is the best)
salt, pepper, garlic pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each)
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese (sometimes I use a mixture of cheddar, colby, and monterey jack)
3/4 c. mayonnaise (I only use Hellmann's)

Layer 1/2 of the tomatoes in baked pie shell. Sprinkle 1/2 basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder on top.
Repeat.
Mix cheese and mayonnaise together and spread over tomato layers, right to inside edge of crust.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2004
5:44 PM

Post #1038587

yum yum yum! This recipe deserves it's own thread!
dguimo
Pioneer, CA

September 7, 2004
9:11 PM

Post #1038863

I found this recipe here last year and it's become one of our favorite summer dishes--- I had never heard of tomato pie--- so glad you posted it!!! Tnanks lots--
Jacquie
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

September 7, 2004
10:08 PM

Post #1038911

Thanks Larkie. Now to find time to make it before we go on vacation!!

Maxine
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2004
1:25 PM

Post #1039748

I am so excited that everyone loves my tomato pie recipe so much :) I make so many of them and sell them at the farmers' markets, I get emails, calls, and requests all the time for this. I've decided not to give out my recipe anymore, but you all have "connections". Have a super duper day and enjoy :) Kathy

A few hints I should have posted with the original posting...make sure you drain your sliced tomatoes or your crust will get soggy after baking pie. Because I sell a lot of pies, I use aluminum disposable pie pans. I have found that if I poke several tiny holes in the bottom of the pie plate, the crust will not bubble too bad. :)

This message was edited Sep 8, 2004 9:29 AM
IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

September 28, 2004
2:10 AM

Post #1068928

Kathy, Thank you so much for this recipe! We had it tonight and it was loved by all!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2004
3:30 AM

Post #1069049

I'm so glad you liked it, that makes me happy :)
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 29, 2004
11:02 AM

Post #1071025

Was a hit at our Luau! Thank you Misty!
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

October 7, 2004
12:06 AM

Post #1082790

Every good cook has their secrets Kathy. Glad you shared one of yours.
D
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2005
1:34 AM

Post #1751704

I placed this thread on watch a year ago, since I was near the end of my tomato harvest then. Today, I finally got a chance to try it out!

After selecting some perfectly ripened tomatoes from the garden (weighing in at around two pounds), I began building the pie. Don't you just want to eat it up already?

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2005
1:44 AM

Post #1751720

As Kathy suggested, I drained the tomatoes after peeling and slicing them. I'm soooo glad she mentioned that, 'cause I had tomato juice dripping all over the counter as I sliced! Funny how you don't have that problem with store-bought tomatoes. lol

It was hard not to incorporate a bit of the basil as I spread the mixture of sharp cheddar cheese and mayo over the top of the pie, but I didn't worry much about that. ;) I might try shredding the cheese instead of grating it next time so it's not so bumpy, but that was more work than I cared to take on in anticipation of the goodies to come from the oven in 30 minutes.

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2005
1:58 AM

Post #1751740

Okay, I'll have to admit now that I used a store-brand pie crust and regular basil. Gonna try Kathy's butter crust next time, for sure, but once again, it was all about instant gratification.

Since I didn't want to brown the upper crust any further, I covered it with foil. Used a nifty technique I found elsewhere on taking a square piece of aluminum foil, folding it into quarters, and cutting a circle out of the center, then placed the foil on top of the pie and crimped the extra beneath the lip of the pie pan.

Here's where it is cooling on the rack. I won't show further pics of how I took a slice while it was still warm, 'cause then you'd know how big of a slice I made. *GRIN*

And yeah, it was AWESOME!!! When SO1 came home after sharing some of the rest of our tomato harvest with the family, he sat down to have a piece before dinner. Told me if he wakes up early tomorrow, I might not have a chance for seconds.

Life is good! :)

Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kathy!

*HUGS*
Donna

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1751745

And...? How did it come out? It's looks might pretty. Is it still in the oven? And if so, will you be taking a pic of it after it is baked? LOL

Makes me almost want to go make one :)

Hope you enjoy it. :) Kathy

Edited to say, I posted while Donna was and all questions are answered, LOL. Glad you enjoyed it. You have to try it to know how wonderful they are...that's for sure.

Looks great, yum!!!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2005 10:03 PM
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

September 11, 2005
6:02 PM

Post #1752756

Oh yum Donna... I had forgotten Kathy's delicious recipe. Isn't it out of this world? Mine never stay around long enough to take pictures of it. Thanks Kathy and Donna now I have 1 more thing I can do with the gazillion tomatoes I have this year.
Dianne
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2005
1:10 AM

Post #1753433

Yay, Dianne! It certainly is fabulous, and I've already had a request to make another to share with the extended family in a week or so. SO1 and I are hoarding this first one and even had it for breakfast today, leaving just enough for one more meal. *GRIN*
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2005
2:00 AM

Post #1753594

I have heard of eating it for breakfast...It is sort of like a quiche :) I am thrilled that y'all like it so much.

Funny thing happened, I joined the Homemaker's Club and the first thing they did was tell me that they were doing a cookbook and gave me papers to fill out my favorite recipes to be printed. One lady insisted I join because she loves my recipes. HMMM, I knew what they were thinking...I sent them recipes no one has ever heard of...ha, ha...nope, no tomato pie recipe...not yet. :)

That wasn't nice of me, was it?...tee hee
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2005
12:05 PM

Post #1754016

lol misty.
Thanks for those photos...it sure does look to die for. I printed the recipe out last year, and have it in a file. the problem is that we ont get cheddar cheese here, but I'm going to one of the greek islands in a couple of weeks, i am definately going to get some there just for this recipe...

tanks again
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2005
12:25 PM

Post #1754042

Pebble, Use any kind of cheese you have. I have used Colby, Monterey Jack,. a mixture of 3 cheeses, try it with the best cheese you like there :) (Now I wouldn't use Limburger, but you know what I mean.) A nice soft cheese semi-mild cheese you might have :)
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2005
1:07 PM

Post #1754076

YEAH, but i'd never get that cheddar taste would I? but i will try it with New Kasar cheese, which is similar to mozzarella in texture...I think the other turkish cheeses are too strong. like the feta is way tooo strong.

I cant wait to try it. Im kinda scared to make the pie crust though...in the states, i would always just buy one ready made...ahhhhh for the ease of life in the united states...

mickgene
Linden, VA
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2005
7:32 PM

Post #1754788

Try it in phyllo, then. That'd be tasty! You could maybe also tone down the feta by mashing it with some yogurt, then mixing it into the mayo??? I do that for grilled vegetable sandwiches and it's delish.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2005
8:16 PM

Post #1754838

That New Kasar cheese sounds like it will work :) I'm not sure about the feta. Might be a bit strong. My friend likes to make it with Mozzarella, so try your NK cheese and let me know how it comes out :) Kathy

Believe me when I tell you it is one of the easiest pie crusts you will ever make :) if you follow my instructions :) K
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2005
5:27 AM

Post #1755921

ok, i am going to follow the pie crust directions and try it with the nk cheese and let you all know. i have a nic big bushy basil plant, that is just waiting to be used...
will make it up this weekend.

and if i cant get the pie dough right, i'll have some phyllo on hand too...
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2005
1:34 PM

Post #1756334

Pebble, You must have been a Girl Scout, "Be Prepared"...I'll be anxious to hear how it comes out. :) Kathy
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1756338

I'll let you know...I am salivating just at the prospect of eating it...lol
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2005
2:41 PM

Post #1756486

I am so glad that this has resurrected and just in time for fresh garden tomatoes.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2005
3:36 PM

Post #1756619

I stopped at the market and bought some phylllo, it seems easier than stressing over the pie doe. i am going to line a pie plate with it and bake it, do i need to put oil or butter on it while it bakes?
i even thought, i could make individual little pies, in a muffin tin, line it with phyllo then aadd the tomatoe and cheese mixture,
and as luck would have it, couple of weeks ago when i was in kos i picked up a jar of hellmans mayo...and...i had picked up some already shredded cheese there, i think it is like a mozzarella...i am going to use that too...
so, im off to the kitchen and turn my oven on, i think the last time my oven was on was at christmas time...we dont bake much here...lol

I'll let you guys know how it turns out
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2005
3:44 PM

Post #1756645

Pebble, Just be careful with the phyllo dough, it is quite thin, you might want to layer several layers. Be sure to drain your tomatoes, very, very well because the juice will seep into your bottom crust and make it fall apart.

:) I hoped you'd make the dough, it is really simple. But maybe I can talk you into doing it another time.

Lenjo, are you just now getting fresh garden tomatoes? Wow, we here in KY that sell at the farmers' markets would be tarred and feathered and run out of town if it took this long to get tomatoes, LOL.

Happy Day,
kathy
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2005
4:35 PM

Post #1756728

well...i'm not sure about the phyllo dough...it turned pretty crispy...but its in the oven now with the tomatoes etc. its smelling really good...i have 15 minutes before i take it out of the oven...
i think i wanted to make it right away, and my time is limited...so i thought it would be eaiser to do it like this. maybe is should have stayed with my original plans to do it over the weekend. Oh well. i had been reading ths thread over and over and finally i said, just do it...

see ya'll
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2005
4:39 PM

Post #1756738

Good for you...hmmm, you'll probably make another over the weekend anyhow. :) I can smell it all the way over here in KY. Smells really good :) Kathy
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2005
5:00 PM

Post #1756777

i just took it out of the oven...oh my god it looks so good...it reminds me of my artichocke dip, its made with hellmans mayo, parmesan, olives, green chiles and artichoke hearts and baked, and the smell anyway smells just like it...
i cant wait for my family to come home to eat it. is it better at room temp or hot?
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2005
7:13 PM

Post #1757015

Kathy, we have been getting a few for a month but only now are there enough to can.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2005
8:06 PM

Post #1757118

Dagnabbit! And here I is with my maters beginning to decline.

Am thinking I should be heading to Pebble's house. MIght take me a while to get there so hold supper! :>)
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2005
1:10 AM

Post #1757762

Hot. :) But honestly, I've made so many of them for sale, I can't eat them. People ask why I don't eat everything I cook...well, the smells take over and I just can't eat it. I should be skinny...

Horseshoe, I'll split the gas with you though.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2005
1:59 AM

Post #1757859

This pie is so good with any cheese, I also have made it with green tomatoes and Feta cheese..

Larkie
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

September 14, 2005
2:17 AM

Post #1757884

This pie is oh sooo good. I have made it before ... back when I first joined DG, but I have to confess this is the first time I've ever heard the neat trick with covering the edges of the pie. What a nifty trick! I've always tried to make those little strips stay on the edges, and that's for the birds! Thanks for the tip! ... Elaine
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

September 14, 2005
5:38 AM

Post #1758298

Well...the pie was delicisous, but I think the cheese i used most have had a very high oil contet, cause it was oozing with oil...you know once he cheese melts...but oh my...what flavor...i absolutely loved it..
very very tasty. even wih the phyllo, i thik it would be a lot better with pie dough. the plyllo was really thin, and you really couldnt tell it was there.

thanks for the recipe and all the tips...
i cant wait to go home and have some more...

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2005
12:43 PM

Post #1758591

ha, ha...so glad you liked it. Yes, when my friend used Mozzarella, it was more "juicy", I like a combination of cheeses. It's one of those pies that's only limited by one's imagination. Put some bacon or ham in there, try the feta...make it half red, half green tomatoes (I've done that too)...put some fresh garlic in there. Go wild :)

Kathy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2005
4:58 PM

Post #1759054

pebble, I think phyllo dough would work, but you'd have to use a bunch of layers & brush each one with olive oil or melted butter.

I like the idea of green tomatoes & feta cheese... sounds yummy!

All these variations are a fun aspect of sharing recipes on this forum. :-)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

September 16, 2005
7:31 AM

Post #1762571

misty - after seeing this recipe on this site for so long i finally tried it. i cheated with store bought pie crust but it cvame out perfect. thje taste was out of this word. thanks so much for sharing it with us.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2005
12:38 PM

Post #1762718

Y'all are making me feel so goooooooddd. I feel like I've spread "love" all over the world, LOL. I am so glad that so many of you have tried and enjoyed this recipe. You'll think of me everytime you make a tomato pie? with all the variations...

Happy Day,
K
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2005
4:50 PM

Post #1790227

I made a tomato pie for the main course last night, and SO1 and his teenaged son easily downed 2/3 of it! I may have to make two or more at a time next season if word gets out on when tomato pie night is... hehehe... what a lovely problem. :)

So yes, we were thinking of you Kathy, and now look at who's celebrating a birthday! Hope your day is as special as the recipes you share.

Donna
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2005
5:30 PM

Post #1790285

Donna, Thank you so much. You've made my day. Tomato pies are like Lay's Potato Chips, you can't eat just one.

I can't tell you how good it makes me feel that everyone is enjoying these pies so much.

I'll have a great day, if you'll have one too.

Happy Day,
Kathy
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2005
8:45 PM

Post #1790490

I made the tomato pie and brought it into work. I used my deep dish large pie pan. Added some finely chopped red peppers, a shot of tobasco and used chipolte/monterey jack cheese.

It was sooooooooo good !!!!!! We ate the whole thing in two days time...there were only two of us here...lol.

I kept saying but it's guilt free pie, it's healthy...LMAO !!!

Thanks so much for the delicious recipe !!

~Julie =0)
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2005
10:31 PM

Post #1790601

Julie, Did I mention that I take all the calories out of mine? Well, in my mind, I do...:) Sounds so good. :) Kathy
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2005
3:56 AM

Post #1832494

We're celebrating the post-tomato harvest with our third (and probably final) tomato pie. Oh my goodness, that aroma knocks my socks off every time!

These were some of the green tomatoes that ripened off the vine in a cool basement around the time the first frost hit. While I nibbled on tiny pieces of tomato that accidentally dropped into my mouth during construction of the pie, I couldn't help but think that they *STILL* beat store-bought.

So, who's going to be the first to resurrect this thread next year? hehehe

Donna

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2005
12:21 AM

Post #1834146

It's also delicious done with green tomatoes, feta and fresh parmesan cheese.. Other ingredients are the same as with ripe tomatoes.. It's a different twist on this great recipe.

larkie

This message was edited Oct 23, 2005 8:23 PM
mickgene
Linden, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2005
11:56 AM

Post #1834837

I'm always looking for more to do with my green tomatoes than just fried or chutney. I have everything I need to make this tonight!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2006
4:06 AM

Post #2627505

I think I made this the first time 2 years ago after reading MistyMeadow's recipe. THANKS

I just remembered it today again and since I had so many tomatoes I couldn't wait so I made it tonight.

Thumbnail by Kell

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2006
4:13 AM

Post #2627524

This time I layered the tomatoes with ham and Swiss cheese, starting with the ham to protect my bottom crust. I got in 2 full layers. I didn't use the mayo. But I did put prosciutto over the top crust with parmesan on top of that. The prosciutto gets like bacon but not greasy. My husband raved about it and he is a gourmet cook! My cooking is usually not up to his standards. LOL. I got a kiss out of it too.

Thumbnail by Kell

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2006
4:17 AM

Post #2627541

Sounds really good with the ham and such, but can't imagine it w/o the mayo.. It's one of the main flavors to me..But then I have always loved mayo with tomatoes.

Larkie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2006
5:01 AM

Post #2627633

I love mayo too esp with tomateos but with the cheese and ham and prosciutto, I dared not. I am fat enough.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2006
12:48 PM

Post #2628045

I love to hear the variations people use. The sky's the limit with this recipe. it is also good with cooked cut bacon and ham would be awesome; I've thought about it so many times. I haven't made any this year, although people ask me all the time for it. I think I just made so many of them that I can't bring myself to make them...but I should.

Have a great day,
Kathy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2006
12:56 PM

Post #2628061

There are Tomato Pie Recipies all over the Internet... interesting twists also. Just do a Google.

I like this one

Potato Crust (see recipe below)
3 or 4 medium tomatoes, sliced (approximately 1/8-inch thick), drained, and patted dry
Salt and pepper to taste
8 bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled
4 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup crushed saltine crackers

Make Potato Crust and bake while you are preparing tomato mixture.

Layer half of the tomato slices onto the bottom of baked Potato Crust; lightly season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half of the bacon and 3 tablespoons basil. Repeat layer, using remaining tomato slices, salt, pepper, bacon, and basil.

In a small bowl, combine parmesan cheese and mayonnaise; carefully spread over tomato mixture. Sprinkle with crushed crackers and 1 tablespoon basil. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until crumbs begin to brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

POTATO CRUST:
2 firmly packed cups grated raw potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated onion
Vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil a 9-inch pie pan. Place raw potatoes in a colander. Salt potatoes and let set for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water.

In a medium bowl, combine potatoes, egg, and onion. Pat potato mixture into prepared pie pan, building up the sides of the crust with lightly floured fingers. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown (after the first 20 minutes brush the crust with vegetable oil to crisp it). Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.

VARIATIONS: Vary the flavors in the potato crust by adding some herbs (basil or oregano), or adding some caraway or fennel seeds. Try adding garlic or using green onions instead of a slicing onion.

Judy

This message was edited Aug 16, 2006 8:25 AM

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2006
3:31 PM

Post #2628554

I also make one with green tomatoes, using the mayo like Kathy's, but then I use the Feta cheese.. It's really good with the green tomatoes..Any way you slice it Kathy..it is a delicious pie.I have only made one this year with the ripe tomatoes and 1 with the green.. Our really good tomatoes are gone from the field this year.. I still have a few in the yard..DH and crew will be planting fall crop in a few days.. They are always good, but nothing like the first tomato of the season.

Larkie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 16, 2006
6:00 PM

Post #2628988

Oh gosh, seeing this again I must go have a slice for breakfast. LOL

Kathy, I go to farmers' markets all the time, I sure wish you were at one of them. I would have bought your pies every week!
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2006
4:23 PM

Post #2648016

I made this last night, adding some slivered ham in the layers.

The kids thought it was "weird, Mom" and wouldn't touch it. My husband ate two huge pieces.

This morning I woke up and when I looked in the sink, I saw the pie plate. Empty. He ate all the rest of it in the night. Since he NEVER does anything like that, I'm working on the assumption he liked it. ;-D

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, when you google "tomato pie" one recipe comes up with a potato crust that looked mighty yummy.
MaryinLa
Marshfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2657281

I need to make one of these, we have so many tomatoes now that they are getting ripe, and okra too, we have been eating stewed tomato and okra almost every other night, lol.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #3789212

This is such a great recipe for fresh garden grown tomatoes. Taking it to a gig to WOW the crowd. My tomatoes are not from my garden but from the eastern part of Washington state where it is hot all summer long.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #3834493

Hi everyone..I made this tonight..to take at a gathering..wowowow...it was a hit...for sure..I cheated..though..did not skin the tomatoes..added more cheese..garlic..powder, soaked onion flakes. A little sugar on the layers..little...and bread crumbs..I was worried it would be too much juice.. Basil...too...It was great...really great...thanks...

smiles..Diana...
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2007
3:22 AM

Post #3835183

I am going to make a tomato sausage tart tomorrow. It will have our fresh italian sausage, fresh tomatoes (we have so many) and fresh basil...yum. Now, if I could just learn to make my own cheese!

I'll let you know how it comes out.
:) Kathy
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

August 9, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #3837889

Kathy,
Anxiously awaiting to hear how the new variation of the Tomato pie turned out. Course with you making it I am sure it was fantastic! If I can keep the deer out of my gardens I too will be able to make Tomato pie this year. DH has declared war with the deer.
Dianne
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007
12:42 AM

Post #3838192

Hi Dianne, Your DH and my DH can join the same army against deer!!!! The tomato sausage tart was scrumptious :) Just got done eating it...of course, Ralph ate most of it ;)...shall I share the recipe?

;) Kathy
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #3838818

Share the recipe, please. You make your own sausage? Sunset mag. has a recipe for a tomatoe tart made w/ phyllo dough.
Kidneyguy
Verona, ON

August 10, 2007
10:34 AM

Post #3839427

Oh please Kathy share it with us. I know my DH will go whip over it- he really enjoys sausages and I am not too fussy over them so anything I can do that is different with sausages is truly welcomed.
Have been out and inspected the gardens for damage or loss this am - the deer must have still been full from the night before as they just enjoyed munching on a huge Hosta.
Dianne
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007
1:13 PM

Post #3839743

Hi Anastasia, We have our own sausage made at a butcher near us that is USDA inspected. Then I can sell it at the farmers market. We make sweet italian sausage, hot, mild sausage, breakfast links, pork patties, italian sausage links and lots of other goodies. Haven't bought meat, only once when our truck caught fire last Nov. and we lost everything. It was not the same, not at all. I am spoiled now.

Tomato Sausage Tart

(I took the easy way out this time.)

1 9 inch refrigerated pie crust
1/2 lb sweet italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 lbs of sliced, peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Basil Mayonnaise:
2 cups chopped fresh basil
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste (I use sea salt)

Put pie crust in 9 inch pie pan (I put mine in a tart pan).

In frying pan, saute sausage with onion and garlic until sausage is cooked (about 5 minutes).

In the meantime, put 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top of pie crust. Spread sausage, onion, garlic mixture on top of cheese. Then layer the sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer other 1 cup of mozzarella on top of tomatoes, sprinkle with dried basil and oregano.

Bake at 375 for 35 - 40 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes before cutting.

Basil Mayonnaise: Chop basil in a food processor and add one egg and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. When mixed well, slowly add vegetable oil (I used organic canola oil). Mix until well mixed.

Serve with the tart...spread on top...yum.

I think I got the recipe from allrecipes.com

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3840241

Ooh, that looks yummy Kathy!
How's my Tori girl? Gosh, she must be getting so big by now.

A question...your basil-mayo uses a cup of oil. What does the oil do, help it blend better?

Stacey
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3840652

Stacey, Sooooo good to hear from you. Your Tory girl is doing well. She will be in 3rd grade, hard to believe. She has a 9 mth old brother and another brother or sister on the way. She finally got her two front teeth :) I will try to send a picture soon.

Yes, the basil-mayo does use a cup of oil and blended in a mixer it will hold everything together. You really don't realize there is oil there, it is quite tasty. We just had tomato sandwiches for lunch. I used two different color tomatoes, regular mayo (only Hellmann's) and then put the basil mayo on ...oh was it yummy.

Big hugs, keep in touch...

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2007
8:34 PM

Post #3853164

3rd grade already! Wow! I'd love to see a recent picture of her

Big hugs to you as well Kathy. I hope we'll see you one day at a DG roundup. With gas prices up we're not traveling far with the camper and we need it so the critters can come with us

ETAdd: I gave my sister your recipe yesterday. One of her daughters is home from college this week. Doesn't eat meat but loves tomatoes! What could be more fitting? Ü

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 4:36 PM
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #3857054

Hi Kathy, I try to not look on the recipe link, cause I always find something gooood to eat. I have made Tomato pie for about 40 years. Funny, had it for supper last night.
Mine is so similar to yours but wanted to share what I do different.

I add:
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped (If I don't have chives in the garden I leave out or use green onions.)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
Lavender and Rosemary (I just pull the leaves off a sprig of each and chop Just the leaves)

For the topping I mix and spoon on top
½ cup mayonnaise
3 oz cream cheese
2 cups grated cheese I prefer sharp
cheddar, but have mixed Monterey Jack, Mozzarella and cheddar

everything else is the same

Your Basil Mayo sounds wonderful. Just trying to think what else I can use that on. LOL

Betty
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #3898973

I would like to try one of these tomato pies.

However, I do not have access to fresh basil. What they sell in the little packages at the grocery looks awful.

Do you think it would work to use dried basil, or a "spaghetti blend" that has basil and oregano and some other spices?

THanks!!
Jules
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #3899493

I used frozen basil and it was delicious. From the comments it seems this is a very versatile recipe.
Linda

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #3901740

Well - I've got mine in the oven now. I used left over sliced tomatoes w/mozerella
cheese & basil with balsamic vinegar & oil. (Made a huge plate for a dinner party
last night and had some extra this morning). I'm hoping the balsamic vinegar will
add a nice flavoring.

Tam
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #3907934

Jules and all, In desperation I have used dried basil. It doesn't have the same aroma or flavor...not as intense, but in pinch will do. I have bought those little packs of basil before and I also pull them all off and take the last one...it's always fresher and not ruined by the flourescent lights in the store.

I'm wondering how it tasted with the balsamic vinegar and oil...there is oil in the mayo, and if you get a cheap mayo, the pie gets real greasy. I only use Hellmann's.

I am going to Honduras in October on a Missions trip. I am trying to raise money for my trip ($1700) and we had a bake auction last weekend at church and raised $800 to be split amongst 4 of us. I made three of these pies and they sold for $20 a piece. I had another one ordered and made it midweek and she gave me $25 for it. Then my son got a bunch of orders at his work for tomato pies, coffee cakes, bourbon pound cakes, chocolate zucchini bread and I went to his house this weekend and baked my heart away. I raised $170 doing that and he called me today and told me he has a lot more orders. Said the tomato pies smelled awesome in the company kitchen fridge. Everything came out perfect and I was so proud of myself (no modesty here)...they looked so good. Most people are ordering the pies out of curiosity. :)

I am so glad that you are enjoying this recipe and variations. I'm also glad that I posted it for the enjoyment of so many.

Blessings,
Kathy
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #3908268

Blessings back at ya, Kathy!

Wow...from a tomato pie to a mission trip to Honduras! What a great inspiration!
(Better make some tomato pies for the Hondurans when you get there!)

Sounds like you are on your way! The popularity, the taste, and the goodness of those pies seem to be on way to helping others! Good going!

I remember your first post regarding these pies...many thanks!

Looking forward to your posts about your mission trip, if you please!

Hugs!
Friend Shoe!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3909581

Misty - I'm a Hellmans gal too. The pie turned out beautifully! I think I'll layer in
mozzerella again & the balsamic vinegar did add a nice flavor. (There wasn't a lot
on it).

Congrats on the success with your baked goods!

Tam
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2007
2:48 PM

Post #3909589

(((((SHOE)))))
Wonder if I'll be able to find some good tomatoes when I get there? I'll have to make banana pies...instead. :) Thanks for the well wishes Shoe...you know I'll keep you posted. We have a Compassion child in Honduras that it looks like I'll get to visit with. :)
Sure wish I could see my good friend, Shoe, in these parts. Wish I could make the roundup, but it's always when I'm working...maybe someday y'all will decide to try it at Otter Creek Park and then I can go...

Bigger hugs,
Kathy

P.S. the pies I made this weekend were made with high dollar tomatoes...Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Mr. Stripey's, German Johnson's. The taste of these tomatoes is beyond comparison and well the flavor of the pie...well, it would be like the cadillac of pies. ;)

Wonderful Tammy...I need to make a book..."Tomato Pie...and all it's variations"...

This message was edited Aug 28, 2007 10:49 AM
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 28, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #3910039

*excuse me for a second*
I don't mean to barge in, but I have heard the phrase "missions trip" a few times here and there and would like to know what it is?
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #3913271

Four people from our church (United Methodist Church) are raising money to fly to Honduras for almost two weeks to do a medical and construction mission trip to help people in Honduras. We will be working at a medical clinic and then help build homes, barns, etc. These "missions" are usually sponsored by a church, but one has to get themselves there. We also have to pay for our housing and some of our food. We do not get paid to do this. It is "goodness from the heart" and working for the Glory of God.

While there, I am hoping to get to visit with our Compassion Child who lives about 25 miles from where we will be.

We covet anyone's prayers for safe travel and doing the work of God.

threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 29, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3913335

Thank you ...I was beginning to think I maybe offended someone...
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #3913362

No, just Tuesday is farmers market day and I don't get much time to "relax"...yesterday was incredibly hard with 100 degree weather again. Customers are not coming out anymore due to the doggone heat. It needs to break. It's been like this for about a month and a half and making everyone sick.

TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2007
5:44 AM

Post #3916853

It's definitely Tomato Pie Season here in the Inland Northwest!

Made our first one tonight with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden... and as always, it was a taste explosion. Couple that with fresh corn on the cob (also from the garden) and a little side of bacon, and we're in heaven.

*struts around in her angel wings*

Heh, it helps when ya step on the scale afterwards. ;)
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2007
3:38 AM

Post #3934667

We arrived home yesterday from a few days gone with only 2 hrs. to prepare something for gig we were attending and obligation to bring a dish of some sort. I ran to the store and bought 2 pre made pie crusts (Marie Calandars sp?) for this tomatoe pie recipe. I did not have time to adequately cool the crust after baking so the crust was a bit soggy but this recipe is great. I did not peel the tomatoes but simply sliced very thin. This is a wonderful recipe!
I found out at the gig that several good cooks were there and said that Trader Joe's pre-made pie crusts were about as good as they get for not being homemade. FYI
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #3935306

That's good to know. I wish we had a Trader Joe's around here, but they stop in Ohio. We have Wild Oats (not much longer :( ) and Whole Foods.

Glad you liked the pie. In a pinch I have not peeled either, but I've always had a thing about the peels on cooked tomatoes...yuck.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 5, 2007
5:58 AM

Post #3938742

lurking here; we are having tomato pie 1-2 X per week; love the flavor combinations.

For breakfast made a variation - crispy hashbrowns in a ring around the outside instead of a crust; the tomato pie filling in the center; bake it off and top with eggs over easy. Great for breakfast!
RDT
Crossville, TN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #3938956

Sounds wonderful.
I have more tomatoes coming on.
We also love this recipe. The crust is absolutely wonderful.
Linda
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #4730712

I thought I'd pull this thread out since it's a crowd pleaser every year and everyone is always wanting the recipe:LOL:

I've mentioned it at work a few times and people seem intrigued by it so I may take one in one day this summer.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4731028

It is absolutely delicious! I made it a number of times during the peak
tomato season last year and it was a hit everytime. I brought it to a potluck
dinner party and all the guests asked for the recipe.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2008

Post #4731286

I haven't met a tomato I didn't love so I'm really looking forward to tomato season. I have a hard time growing tomatoes here at my apt even in containers due to the neighbor kids getting to them before I do. We do have a great Farmer's Market so I am able to get some great heirloom varieties there.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4731354

Its kinda sad to realize how long it will be before tomato
season starts here. gotta wait ~5mo or so. :-(
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2008
9:03 PM

Post #4731364

Yeah...I really need to take up canning soon. I usually only buy the sweet grape tomatoes from the grocery store in the off season but they're not even as good as they used to be.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #4731378

That's exactly what I do. Somehow the grape tomatoes are the only
ones that have any real tomatoe flavor.

I do have some tomato sauce in the freezer... hmmm.. maybe time
to pull some out.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #5380211

bumping... this is supper tomorrow night. ;) Kathy, thanks again and AGAIN for this recipe!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
11:12 AM

Post #5380568

Thank you Melissa :)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5383541

I have this one saved off in my personal recipe file. Its delicious!
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5383783

Oh, yes..thanks for reminding me it is the bestest...lol

smiles.Diana..
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5384296

I'll have this as my epitaph..."She had a great tomato pie recipe"...
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5384396

You got that right, Misty. It is a great recipe!

Thank you for sharing it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
3:20 AM

Post #5384418

Haaa! Haaa!

I know MY epitaph will be--------"That is a really good idea!" ..as I lay there buried...(Actually--cremated...)
I always kid that I will have that engraved on my tombstone...

It is a comment I hear all the time--as I have a very resourceful mind...It ALWAYS sees a "second life" for every discarded item or an unsolvable situation of any kind.

Gita
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5390603

ok--i am ready to make the pie--been saving for my daughters visit (she is vegetarian so like to look for recipes when she comes)--after reading everyones comments i have something i am going to try--i made fresh pessto and am going to add a little to the mayo--it's just oil, basil, parmasan and garlic--so only difference will be the garlic--i am still adding fresh basil too--will let you know how the pesto idea works--am going to add small ammount so i don't overpower--if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea please post soon so i don't ruin this pie!!
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5390633

sounds good to me...will try it next time too..

smiles..Diana
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5390668

thanks diana--i am baking the pie shells now and have mixed the cheese and mayo--holding off a little while longer to see if anyone else has an opinion --i added some chopped chives from the garden to the mayo mix--so good of you to respond so quickly!!
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5390796

I really like to make this...before..I should have told you I add..fresh basil..leaves..inbetween layers...have done that before..so the pesto sounds great to me...Hope it turns out great for you...

smiles..Diana...
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
5:13 PM

Post #5390811

Hahaha...still thinking about this...I have frozen it...too..but..to me ...after a time..it gets a little soggy...so fresh will be what I do again..heheheh...I have added a lot of things to it too...like ham..cut up..and bacon pieces..too but then it is not vegetarian.
Even some shreded..chicken...just plain is good though...heheh...enjoy..happy day...
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
5:16 PM

Post #5390823

ok--i am adding the pesto--will let you know how it works--thanks for response!--oh and wouldn't that bacon be wonderful in it! but yes--for my veggie girl i will hold off this time with bacon!!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5391272

Every time I see this recipe, I can't help but think that the pie would turn out a soggy mess, with all the tomato juices and mayo, and grease coming out of the cheese.

Since so many think it is a good recipe, it must not come out soggy... does it??? How well does it keep without getting soggy? There are only two of us here, not sure if I would have to try cutting recipe down?
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5391302

i just made it and it was not soggy--but----i did let the sliced tomatos sit on several layers of paper towels and then kept changing the wet towels for dry --i also used a bit more cheese (in otherwords more cheese to mayo than called for) i did that because i added some fresh pesto which has olive oil in it--i baked the pie shell first which i think cuts down on the wetness and although i didn't do this i read somewhere that you can brush egg white on the pie shell before baking to help too--make sure the pie shell cools first too

it was wonderful!!! marie chandler has smaller deep dish pie shells in freezer section that are really good--i used the two that come together and using this recipe it filled both perfectly--as for only 2 people --well if you cut it in half and use one of the smaller pie shells it would work out
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5391355

yes...you must lay the slices of the Tomotoes...on paper towel...get as much mosture..as you can out of them...I have sprinkled some seasoned bread crumbs..inbetween...too...if I am in a hurry...it is really good...don't miss making it...it is well worth it...guest love it too...big hit around our house...and there are only two of us too...that and a green salad is great...try it..you will like it..lol as they say...smiles..Diana...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5391433

I am new on DG in order to get this whole thread I printed (21 pages ) will read in leisure. Is there anyway just to print the recipes on this site? Please Helene

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2008
7:49 PM

Post #5391449

Would a food processor work for the crust? I make just about everything with the processor.?
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5391710

wowow 21 pages...hehe...well if you would copy and paste...and print..the pie...then go though and read...any addictions..on the different things to do with it..hehehe..wowow 21 pages..is a lot...
that is what I do...or but in word...

enjoy..and welcome to DG... Smiles..Diana...
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 9, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5391752

Maxine: Got the pie in the oven!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5391753

Helene,
Just
highlight what you want to print and

then go to file on your browser,

click on print and

then click on print selection where it asks which pages you want to print.

or go to your Dmail; I just sent it to you. ;) Kathy

This message was edited Aug 9, 2008 5:48 PM
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5391816

oh--the pesto is a nice addition! if you have some just put it in with the mayo mix
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 9, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5391897

MistyMeadow's Original Recipe with my notes added:

TOMATO PIE:
1 BAKED 8 or 9 inch PIE CRUST: enough for one crust and then a little more. :) (I use 1 1/4 c. all purpose flour, 1 stick cold butter, a pinch of salt, up to 1/4 c. ice water. Cut flour, butter, and salt with a pastry blender until mealy. With a mixer, add 1 tablespoon at a time of ice water until it cleans side of bowl, usually end up using only 3 tbsp. Shape into ball, wrap in plastic wrap, store in refrigerator at least 1/2 hour.) Roll out on floured countertop to desired size, cut edges how you like. Bake at 375 for approx 10 minutes.

INSIDE:
5 or 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/4 inch thick.
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil (genovese is the best)
salt, pepper, garlic pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each)
1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese (sometimes I use a mixture of cheddar, colby, and monterey jack)
3/4 c. mayonnaise (I only use Hellmann's)

Layer 1/2 of the tomatoes in baked pie shell. Sprinkle 1/2 basil, salt, pepper, garlic powder on top.
Repeat.
Mix cheese and mayonnaise together and spread over tomato layers, right to inside edge of crust.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

Be ready for a taste explosion!

Notes: I make my crust in a tart pan; slice and seed tomatoes and lay on paper towels to drain (this is the most labor intensive part). This way it does not come out soupy.

I also sprinkle some cheese directly on the crust before the layering, thinking that might protect the crust from getting soggy.

Took it to the CA Round-Up and got many praises.

And, yes, pesto should work just fine.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5392956

Welcome Helene the queen.

If you're not comfortable with the copy/paste method Kathy suggested, then under each person's name when they make a post you see their location, the date and time they post, and under that a series of numbers... if you click on that series of numbers, it will open up just that particular post in page. You can then hit "print" and just that will print.

Mine was of course a hit, it always is... ;)

Last year, or the year before, i didn't have a pie crust, didn't feel like making one, but did have puff pastry in the freezer... I used a tart pan like Arlene, then lined it with the puff pastry and baked as called for... OH MY... is it ever good. That's the way I've made it since... :)
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
12:12 PM

Post #5394199

See Melissa,
I didn't even know that :) Thanks...

planolinda
Plano, TX

August 10, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5394579

ok misty--what's next? now that you gave us the best ever we need more!! the pressure is on! more misty recipes!! (just kidding--no pressure!)
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5394875

this makes my mouth water just thinking about it...
It's one of my all time favorites. I will be going home in Sept. and will definately make it
vic

August 10, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5394934

This has to be THE most copied recipe on DG, eh? *grin* Every year at tomato time it must get hundreds of hits.

Melissa, thanks for the info on printing from the numbers. I didn't know that either. I always do the cut and paste into word thing. This is much faster!
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 10, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5394945

so if we love the recipe so much i guess we would also love a sandwhich with mayo, cheddar cheese, tomato and basil with a little garlic powder, salt and pepper--not as much as our tomato pie but worth a try

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5395056

vic...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think the "Sopapilla Cheesecake" has them all beat!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5395277

Tomato Pie and Sopapilla Cheesecake...sounds like lunch to me:lol:
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5395433

Actually I was thinking the roasted tomatoes might be the most copied :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5395618

o.k. ,i'm hooked , now off to make THE pie , will probably take it to family reunion next month. can't wait to taste it ! sally
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 10, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5395648

haven't seen the roasted tomatos--will have to look for it--but this sounds better to me--
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2008
7:07 PM

Post #5395670

just remembered something i meant to post above . egg yoke coated on pie crust , both regular and graham cracker , baked until its dry , about five to ten mins , before filling will seal the crust and prevent soggy . sally
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008

Post #5395671

Blanching, skinning and seeding the motherload of maters we now have and 5, yes 5 pies being assembled for distribution :)

We do the roasted recipe towards the end of the season with the not so pretty ones. I'd say the MMM Meatballs is up there too with the sopapilla cheesecake - gotta try that one day :)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5395739

I just love the following:

Two slices of rustic bread (sour dough is really good too)
Butter outer sides
Mayonaise on the inner sides
Thick slices of tomatoes
cheddar or provalone cheese
a little salt.

Grill like a grilled cheese. Yum. I also love it with tuna fish in the
sandwich.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 10, 2008

Post #5396051

where do i find the sopapilla cheesecake recipe ?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
9:06 PM

Post #5396136

Here is the link to Part II.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/721934/

I think that you can get to part one from there:)
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5396715

Roasting tomatoes . . we have all done . . for me it is just easier and takes less space than canning. You can find recipes for doing that anywhere.

But Misty's recipe is so good. . . it deserves to have an article written about it. She never should have shared it with us . . . it's her bread and butter at market but she is so gracious . . . and has!

A tomato sandwich is great fresh but baking the tomatoes concentrates the tomato flavor and is a whole other experience.

Misty . . . thank you (profusely) for ever having shared the recipe and I promise I won't give it to anyone else. . . best kept secret!

I am obsessive about fresh grown tomatoes. . . can't help myself.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 11, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5397060

ooooooooh , i'm full . good ,good ,. has anyone tried to thicken the juice with a tablespoon flour or cornstarch ? gonna make another tomorrow and will def. take one to reunion . sally
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5398891

Made a couple of tomato pies yesterday; DDH loved 'em. I find them too labor intensive to continue making them unless they were loved by all my kids.
They love the Sopapilla tho and beg me to make more and more...

Ann

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5433785

I see from my last post here, 1 year later almost to the day, I just made my first tomato pie of the season. I came back to see how long to cook it. Shoot, I should have looked first. Pesto sounds incredible!

I did 2 crusts, sliced tomatoes and even some cherry tomatoes tossed in. Mushrooms, ham, and sharp cheddar, colby, and Monterey jack. Sometime I need to try the mayo recipe.

I will have to try pesto next week. So many great ideas in this thread.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 19, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5433796

how was yours--no mayo? and a top crust? sounds a lot different from the other--did you just make it up sort of?
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
2:49 AM

Post #5433898

Sounds very good Kell. Anxious to hear how it came out...

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5434272

The mayo is a major flavor principle in this recipe, at least to me.. I have always eaten tomato slices topped with mayo & cheese.. Top a slice with the mayo, salt, pepper and grated cheese and broil.. So good.. Gotta make this pie again soon.

Larkie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5434443

We had this same conversation last year at this same time, Larkie! LOL! I so love mayo with tomatoes too. I guess I was thinking it was already going to taste so good even without mayo. I had so much cheese, I didn't need more fat. I am sure going to try your broiled sliced ones. Sounds easy too, I just need to get a couple huge tomatoes to use.

It was great, Kathy. I think it is hard to go wrong with ripe tomatoes and cheese. I think the prosciutto I laid on top of the top crust last year was better than the ham I did tonight.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2627524

I do not seed my tomatoes so the first 2 pieces were too wet. But when we went back for seconds it had absorbed the juice more. Next time I will add some cornstarch before I cook it.

Planolinda, several years ago when I was East taking care of my Mom, a morning show made tomato pie. I got so excited, I made it that very day. They had the 2 crusts so I just keep making it that way. I also can so overstuff the inside with a top crust holding it all in. I added the ham for heaven forbid I do not have meat for dinner. LOL Then this thread later on reminded me of it and I quick made it again.

Next one I make, I will use the soft slices of fresh asiago cheese with the pesto. I will add parmesan on the top crust. I may have to make it sooner than later.

Tomorrow for lunch I am going to use my leftover salmon from last night to stuff a tomato. I core the tomato out. I mix the salmon with sour cream and chopped onions. I sometimes use chopped dill or chopped basil. I stuff the tomato, then top with provolone and bake. It is so good!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5435756

Wow Kell! That looks awesome!
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 9, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5531137

Misty Meadows you have done such a great thing by sharing your wonderful recipe for the Tomatoe Pie with everyone here in DG. I plan to make your pie tomorrow and will think of you and the joy you have brought so many while I make the pie. I would like to hear more about your work in the Honduras and your Farm Market. Do you sell baked goods at the market? If so, how do you bake in the Kentucky summer heat ?
Blessings to you from Waterville KS
All the best !
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5532139

Hello April,
I don't sell baked goods anymore, but I did bake (sometimes 16 hour days) in the heat. It was dastardly and I usually sold everything :) I had a wall exhaust fan and two oscillating fans that kept me cool(er). It wouldn't have made sense to put an a/c unit in :(

I leave on Sept 30th for Honduras and I will post again. I went last year and I think there is a post on the Travel and Vacations forum about it. It is very rewarding work and such a blessing.

I am so glad you are enjoying the tomato pie. I can't eat them as I made so many of them for sale that the smell turns my belly :(

Hugs,
Kathy
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 10, 2008
8:09 AM

Post #5532693

Oh, Kathy . . . you are RUINED

But at least you have the joy of having shared with so many.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #5533099

Oh in more ways than I can count...ha, ha...

What a joy to have spread that legacy...I will make them, just can't eat them. ha, ha.

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 10, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5533717

Misty Meadows you are a joy for sharing this recipe with so many who are enjoying it like no other.

Please, may I contribute towards your trip to Honduras by sending you a small token fee for this recipe ?

I would love to be able to support your trip with a token gift.

Please email me your name and address?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5533806

misty m . does ruth spillers go in your group ? she's a maya indian and r.n. from texas , goes about this time of year . fascinating . she also serves as interpreter . sally
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5534124

Sally,
I don't know Ruth Spillers. Our group, Brandenburg United Methodist Church, is 4 women from our church. It is fascinating. We do medical missions. I am learning spanish every time I drive my car...or listening to Joyce Meyer, who inspires me tremendously.

April,
While not necessary to send to me, if you'd like to make a donation to our trip, we are always open and welcome love offerings. Our monies go to medicines for the children of Honduras, of which we administer a lot of them while there. My address is in the address exchange and a check can be made out to BUMC, with Kathy, Honduras Missions Trip in the memo line. I will also dmail you my address. Many blessings for your kindness.
Have you made the pie yet? :)

Hugs and Blessings,
Kathy
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 10, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5534436

Not yet Kathy but I am just about to head to the kitchen to start the pastry for your wonderful tomatoe pie recipe. I just know it's going to be a lifetime keeper. Thank you for sharing your recipe with all of us and the rave reviews above are a testament to how good this pie is going to be.

I will be honoured to send a donation to your trip and sure wish I was born wealthy instead of just witty and charming!

All the best to you and yours

Georgina
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 10, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5535702

OK here's my experience with making this pie:

Firstly, it was yummy yumm in taste. Awsome ! The crust (recipe above) was great and mine didnt overbrown at all. It was just perfect. Question tho ? How come when I cut the pie a puddle of fluid ran into the pie plate after all that draining? Is this normal ? Is this pie soggy after it cools ? With all that fluid oozing out I cant see how the bottom crust wont become soggy later ? Misty how did it work with baking them ahead for sale ? Dont they go soggy? As I said, my crust was nice and crusty - not the least bit soggy but we ate it right out of the oven. I would appreciate your feedback about how the pie holds afterwards. Of course, hubby and I didnt eat it all so I will see how it holds myself but wondering what other people have found.

Many thanks
Georgina

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 10, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5535746

I seed the tomatoes and let them drain on paper towels; plus I use a tart pan which is thinner than a pie pan.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5536597

Georgina, I would slice the tomatoes and let them drain in a colander for quite a while. I tried to use tomatoes that weren't exceptionally juicy, like great big ones. Early girl tomatoes always worked the best for me and easy to peel. I can see how draining on paper towels would work.

Did you bake your pie crust first? And did you use my recipe for pie crust? I think a tart pan would be better and perhaps slicing the tomatoes thinner. With a good firm tomato, this can be done with a meat slicer :)

Some have said it was soggy the next day, but most said no.

Hugs,
Kathy
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 11, 2008
2:28 AM

Post #5536664

Hi Yes, I prebaked the pie crust...used the recipe at the top of this page and it was fabulous. I baked it in a standard pie pan and drained the sliced tomatoes on multiple paper towels which I changed and let them drain for a couple of hours before baking the pie. It was Yummo but wondered why I got a pool of liquid once I cut the pie and also wondering if the pie will get soggy later. Did the pies you sold at the market stay "unsoggy" ??? Is that a word? I dont think so but you get my drift right? hahahah
Anyway, the pie was terrific and the recipe is definately a keeper. Hubby and I both loved it. Thanks again for the recipe and the response.

Check is in the mail...as they say.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #5537000

I think I remember one time they were so juicy the lady didn't like them. She had bought two and brought them to a family reunion. I made her two new pies the next weekend and she said that they were fine. It could just depend on the tomatoes, I guess.

I'm so glad you liked the pie :) They are so addictive that my girlfriend made them almost daily for nearly a whole summer. Then she couldn't stand to see a tomato. Oh she made them and ATE them!

Hugs,
K
P.S. DH will be 54 this year...day after me...Oct 1st.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5537034

I will sometimes drain sliced tomatoes on layers of paper towels that I'll change out every so often and I lightly salt them which helps to draw out the moisture.
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 11, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5537041

Hi Yes, I drained them on paper towels which I changed and that worked. I still got a puddle of liquid though running out of the pie when I cut it.

DH just had a snack of room temp Tomatoe Pie and says that it actually tastes even better at room temp than our earlier hot out of the oven. He is VERY impressed with this pie and I am so pleased to have gotten this recipe. It will be a lifetime keeper that I will share with others.

Thanks again
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #5537555

G, as a footnote. My son loved this pie the next day...cold from the fridge. ? :)
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

September 11, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5537818

I like it best at room temp . . . one other thing, you say you drained them on paper towels . . .

but did you seed them?

I try to use tomatoes that have very few seeds but sometimes I am not so lucky to scout any out. I really think the type of tomato can make a big difference.
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 11, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5538085

Nope, I didnt seed them. The recipe above doesnt say to seed them...just peel,slice and drain. But, I will definately seed them need time. Thks
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #5549955

Misty: Is the "garlic pepper" in your original recipe a key ingredient? We generally shy away from garlic powder in favor of fresh . . .
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5550028

I would say fresh would be good as well. I used to use the powder because I made so many of them and in the interest of time. It also has a st ronger garlic taste. I was confused at first because I knew I didn't use garlic pepper. :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

September 14, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5550555

i have a pepper mix that we like on popcorn and it has a strong garlic taste--
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5552199

Misty: The recipe above actually says: "salt, pepper, garlic pepper to taste (about 1/8 tsp each)" -- that is why I thought you used garlic pepper. I'm glad to hear it isn't an integral part of the recipe!!!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5552392

The missing comma:lol: I wondered the same thing:)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2008
4:47 AM

Post #5553212

missing comma, but also "pepper" was repeated . . .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 15, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5554271

mistym ruths groupe is out of texas , but when she was showing me pictures , she mentioned other people that were from everywhere . dr.s , nurses , cooks , just volunteers for everything , my dgd wants to join her next year , for the medical experience.i've got to get the stuff to make that sopapilla cheesecake . that sounds ssssoooo fattening . yum , sally
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5554893

Had two males looking at me like I'd finally gone too far with tomatoes when I mentioned making the tomato pie. They changed their mind when they tasted it. It was great!! Served it a room temp, and I'm considering making another one today or tomorrow. Thanks for bumping the thread.
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5555039

Yes for sure...we had it last night..I changed it around a little...make it different every time..but it is always a success..for sure...yummmmy...and yes it is in my tummy..lol..we all love it..

Smiles..Diana
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2008
9:04 AM

Post #5825156

Forget the aluminum foil fuss. Bake your pies in a brown paper bag--place unbaked pie in bag and fold over the open end. You might need to increase baking time a bit. Your crust and filling will cook evenly without over-browning the edge.

Pen

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5825722

that really works? How cool ...so much easier than trying to cover the edges.
Is the pie crust crispy like it would w/o the bag?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5825809

Wow! Perfect timing for that hint. Please tell us more!
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5863308

Sorry for delay in answering--have been out of town. Thisbrown paper bag idea came from an apple pie recipe. It calls for baking at 400 degrees for one hour. Comes out perfectly browned every time...and yes the crust is crispy. I have since started doing it with pecan pie, and it also comes out perfect. Why did no one ever tell us this before??? Please let us know your results if you try it.

Pen
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2008
2:56 AM

Post #5863341

BTW: Place paper bag with pie in it on a cookie sheet. When done, open folded end and let some of the hot steam escape before you attempt to remove it.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5864423

So the bag doesn't stick to the crust? Or smash the crust?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5864472

Or burn? I had never heard of the paper bag method. I'm guessing it just gets really dried out and "crunchy". Edit to add: I meant the bag gets dried out and crunchy:LOL: not the pie!! :)

This message was edited Dec 6, 2008 8:52 PM
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5864809

Remember, you are putting the pie into the bag sideways--the folded open end will be parallel to the oven rack. The apple pie drips over a bit sometimes, but it doesn't stick enough to even make it difficult to remove the pie from the bag. No, it doesn't burn. That is the beauty of this technique--evenly browned crust and thoroughly cooked interior. Remember you will be adding a little time to the recipe recommendation and baking at a higher temp--about 1 hour at 400 for the pies I make. DO NOT use convection bake or all bets are off. Use conventional bake. And no, the brown bag will not burn, but you will smell the hot bag a bit and not the pie while it is cooking. I use the brown bags that groceries come in. Just fold the open end down--don't try to make it air tight.

You in effect are cooking in a little mini-oven that will hold heat evenly and won't be subject to the cold/hot spots in a larger oven and less subject to the vagaries of the natural cool down/heat up cycles of the thermostat control.

Please try this and report your results. You might never bake a pie any other way!

--Pen

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2008
11:51 PM

Post #5865892

We have always use the paper bag for pies.. Also, This is the way I heat rolls, hamburger or hot dog buns..Does great for re-heating all breads..

larkie
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5866458

Larkie, I had not thought to do bread in paper bags. What kind of pan do you use to put bread on before placing in bag? Or do you just put in bag?

--Pen

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5866461

no pan, just bread..

larkie

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5866536

Ha!! I just reheated a loaf of rustic Italian bread this way tonight, and just now saw this. Never did a pie this way, but why not? Thanks for the bump.
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

December 7, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5868497

Are those paper grocery bags treated with chemicals?

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5868560

You had to ask. :>(
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5868587

probably

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5868738

Don't know, but my Mama and grandmother also did this.. Mama is 81 and gm lived into her 90's..I've made it to the 50's doing this, lol..

Larkie
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

December 8, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5870243

I would think there are a whole lot of other more toxic things we are exposed to compared to the occasional use of a recycled paper bag.

Fews stores in these parts even offer paper bags.
vic

July 30, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6886606

Taste explosion indeed! Made this for supper with 3 different heirlooms and it was a big hit!

Thank you Kathy, for this GREAT recipe!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6886976

3 different heirlooms? You go girl !!

No leftovers I suppose - ***sob*** :)

vic

July 31, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6887062

Dea, that was a 9 inch pie and I got ONE piece - lol

It is so good! Have you made it???
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
4:55 AM

Post #6888080

i love this recipe...I might have to make it soon...
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6888524

Hugs to you pebble :) I hope you do make it soon; it just plain makes you feel good to eat it !

Sure have vic, just not with different varieties of heirlooms and I'm sure it was fantasitc. You only got 1 piece? Oh my, tell Hank to share - LOL :)
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 31, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6889366

i made mine for the summer too! very good---i dried those tomatoes on paper towels till i was afraid they were too dry--had to peel them off! still the pie was a bit soggy--but still tasted wonderful --didn't come out of the pan in perfect slices but we had no problem finishing that pie off in record time!
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

July 31, 2009
8:22 PM

Post #6890575

Try sprinkling some grated cheese on the crust before you put the ingredients in; also, I don't do mine in a pie pan; I use a tart pan.
vic

July 31, 2009
9:09 PM

Post #6890770

Oh Dea, he shared, I promise :-) My one piece was a fourth of the pie... lol - I'm kidding...

I had eaten a huge salad with mine so one piece was fine. I had put one piece on Hank's plate along with his salad. He ate the pie and said "Boy, that is good, do you have anymore?" So he cut himself another piece, offered me one. I said no thank you. I'm done. He ate that piece, walked over and got the pie pan and brought it to the table and ate the WHOLE thing. lol

And didn't gain an ounce...no fair!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6890789

hehehe :)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6890827

I'm finally going to make this this weekend:) My coworkers all have oodles of tomatoes this year so I'm racking up:lol: I don't grow my own tomatoes so I'm stingy about what I make or use them for but I have several good sources this year so I'm going for it. Gonna try the grated parmesan on the bottom or maybe a sprinkle of italian bread crumbs to help absorb any excess juice after draining the tomatoes.
vic

July 31, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6890848

Mine was not soggy at all. I did drain them on paper towels first though.
planolinda
Plano, TX

July 31, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6890885

ok-my favorite tomato recipe
day old french or italian bread torn into chunks
tomatoes cut up
lots of basil
rice vinegar
sweet onion cut
mix them all together and let it sit in refridge so the bread soaks up the vinegar and tomato juices-----it is so refreshing and wonderful--my husband loves it too!

as for how much of each--i like a somewhat equal amount of bread and tomato (a little more tomato really) and less of onion and basil--as for vinegar--springle on and toss but do not get the bread all wet--when you eat it it won't be soggy --you can add more if you need to later--

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6891683

I love this recipe but have given up trying to avoid the sogginess. It has to be more
than just towel drying the tomatoes. Do you let them drain for hours first? Mine
is not just soggy but has a huge amount of juice most of the time. I've put them in
a dish towel and twisted it to get the moisture out!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6891834

I've got my sliced tomatoes ona few layers of paper towels which I've changed once. I put them on a baking sheet in the fridge with a few layers of papertowels on top of them also. I salted them which draws out the moisture. I won't use any additional salt once I assemble.

I haven't started baking the pie shell yet but I think I'm going to sprinkle the bottom of the crust with shredded parmesan cheese before blind baking it so there is a crunchy cheese crust in the bottom just in case.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6893188

thanks for the tips! Its just a wonderful recipe.
Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 1, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6893534

Tammy , I had posted somewhere that I mix up the toms gently and add a bit of flour to thicken the juice . It works fine . Or you can use corn starch if you like a clear juice . digger
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009

Post #6894454

I drained the tomatoes for a couple hours in the fridge sandwiched between paper towels which I changed out once. I blind baked the shell with shredded parm, about 1/3 c on the bottom, let it cool and then assembled the whole thing. I forgot to pick up basil so I used fresh dill and yup, this is pretty awesome:) The bottom is holding up and there was only a little bit of juice after the first piece was cut so I tucked a crumpled up piece of paper towel in the pan and no more juice.

Can't believe I waited so long to try this with all the stellar review:lol:
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #6894847

I have used green tomatoes for this recipe and it is so good. Green or not real ripe tomatoes don't have as much juice and helps solve that problem.
papapablo
Blanket, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #6896615

The most effective way I have found to prevent these pies from having soggy crusts is to use egg white. When I remove the crust from the oven after pre-baking, I immediately brust the bottom with egg white. The heat from the hot crust sets it, and it seals the crust without adding any flavor. No more soggy crust.

Digger's suggestion to add flour or cornstarch is a good idea to help the pie have more "body" and serve more beautifully.

Vic one thing I have noticed in both reading this thread and serving this pie: it is especially loved by men! LOL It stops them dead in their tracks until none is left!

Linda, I can't wait to try your recipe with the bread - it sounds wonderful!

Tina

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 2, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6896797

Tina , I pre cook the crust a bit with egg yolk on the bottom , I use it with all my cream pies, and nobake pies . digger
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6899916

Remember, I did say a baked pie crust and that's what Larkie posted. And also, I strained mine in a colander while slicing. Just put in a colander and let it sit. The weight of putting tomatoes on top will drain it out. also, I always use tomatoes that are not huge because they are usually really juicy. More meat in smaller maters.

;) Kathy
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

August 3, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6901285

Good points
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
9:18 AM

Post #6921725

I keep coming back to this thread and start drooling. My friends are coming out of town to visit me this weekend and I am going to have them make it for me. I honestly dont remember a sogginess problem, but that could just be my memory...
i think i will use a tart pan, you get more that way...

The orig version was soooo yummy, cant think of changing it now...since that is what i am craving, but all those little additions would add to it wouldnt it?

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8745284

Kathy, thought you'd like to know that you're a Gourmet! There was a tomato pie recipe in the last issue of Bon Appétit. :)

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8745390

Great reminder! I will make one of these this week! Perfect summer delight!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

August 9, 2011
6:33 AM

Post #8746203

So happy to see this wonderful recipe is still alive and doing well. I shared it with a friend and her husband LOVED it so much that they have made it a million different ways - with shrimp, or chicken, or so many other things. I am still committed to the original, so I cannot share anything more than the recommendation that if it feels right, add it!!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8747094

Can't make it through a week without tomato pie during tomato season or I might loose my "Southern-ness". I make my own crust, use more basil and half sour cream, or sometimes yogurt, for half the mayo. I like the tang the sour cream adds. It's heaven to open the fridge in the morning and see part of a pie waiting for me. I'm willing to fight for it. Oh my, tomato pie!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2011

Post #8747161

Tomorrow there is a local farmers' market and I will be there to scoop up some big, fat, juicy tomatoes! I make it layered with ham and Swiss. And I cheat using that Pillsbury premade crust.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8747207

Well if you're going to cheat that's probably the best one out there. I feel like I'm cheating enough just eating it.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8747741

I've used Crescent rolls in a pinch, and they actually taste pretty good as the crust! :)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8749196

Wonder if Greek yogurt would be good with this--probably=) I will have to hit the farmer's market on Friday now:lol:
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8749234

I have used Greek yogurt for half the mayo. Some yogurts seem to curdle a bit but it does not ruin the pie. I don't use yogurt or sour cream for calorie savings as much as we like the tart and tangy flavor those products impart. Also, I make a bit extra and layer the pie with cheese, herbs and mayo/yogurt in the middle as well as the top.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8749241

I meant to add a photo of one made with yogurt a week or so ago.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8749246

It was Super Southern Nite with garden tomatoes, okra and collard greens.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8749271

YUM except for the okra. LOL
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8749277

Yup, definitely hitting the farmers market. Between this topic and the runzas thread I'm going to have to crank up the oven this weekend:lol:

I was thinking of the greek yogurt for the tangy/creamy thing of it too. I couldn't imagine fiddling with a great recipe just to cut a few calories:lol:
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8749334

Kell, I'm not a native southerner, unless being a native of Miami Beach counts. Okra and collards were new foods for me when we relocated here. Admittedly, dinosaurs roamed the earth at the time. :>) I have a number of ways to make it not slimy. The okra shown is stir fried in garlic and olive oil for about two minutes. It's crisp and tasty. The seeds were from a fellow DGer and the okra a pale colored heirloom variety called Betty's White.

Dmac, I've taken to cranking up the oven and shoving in everything but the kitchen sink to make use of it in this heat. I've been making tomato pies while baking potatoes and roasting tomatoes, peppers and onions. The potatoes have made great stove top hash.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8749340

Wow - my hairdresser was telling me about her favorite tomato pie today, and then this thread is bubbled up. The only real difference is she adds a handful of diced green onions over the tomatoes, then sprinkles cheese and mayo.

This is definitely going on my list of recipes to try ASAP!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2011

Post #8749359

Bump the runzas. lol I've done green onions, grilled Vidalias, Mauis and Texas Sweets. Aside from green ones, they're all the same onion grown in different places. I've added meats, herbs and all variety of cheeses. At the end of the day, sticking close to the original version is best.

BTW, mounding the tomatoes, the way you would mound apples in an apple pie recipe, is important in order to make for a very luscious version. Don't just go by size and number.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011 6:39 PM
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8751134

MaypopLaurel--I'm the same w/ the oven during heatwaves:lol: I'm admittedly a stubborn cook and if I'm wanting something, I'll generally make it, even cranking up the oven during the hot summer months:lol: I'm thinking of a baked potato salad now too if I'm gonna make those runzas and tomato pie...

I'm thinking of investing in one of the newer microwaves (which I barely use) that have a convection oven built in--a friend has one so I have to find out how she likes it first.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8752123

Dmac, I have two friends with the combo microwave/convection and both have had problems. They got them because space would not allow for full double ovens. This was several years ago so maybe things have improved. My double ovens in Atlanta are ancient (70's) but the single oven here at Maypop, though at least fifteen years old, is convection. I love it because it cooks everything perfectly in thirty to fifty percent less time. It has a large interior and three racks so I can really load it up!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8752135

I had a quasi-convection oven (dual-fuel range at our last house) and this one came with an glass top electric range (residential not commercial) with a whole lot more bells and whistles than my last one, which I adored.

One thing that puzzles me (and sorry this is OT for the original subject) - when I specify the temperature, it automatically knocks it down 25 degrees when I use the convection settings. So I have to bump it up if I want the speedier baking time, or assume there are some energy efficiencies to be gained by letting it lead the way.

Okay, back to tomato pie. It's going on next week's menu for sure. All these people cannot be wrong :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8752166

Terry, my oven directions explain that the moving air makes for the equivalent of 25 degrees higher heat and I'm supposed to set standard recipes at that lower temperature. Don't forget to make two pies and remember gloppy is a good thing. lol

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8752319

I knew about the 25 degree differential, but I always assumed you adjusted time, not temp. Good to know! Two pies, huh?

I may have to - the friend who was raving to me said her husband took the rest of theirs to work; he had bragged on it so much, the other guys wanted to try it. I can see my husband angling for a pie to carry. I think we'll start with one, and I'll make sure I have the ingredients for a second one, in the event that happens.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 12, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8752750

I need personal pie rations. It's the kind of food I wake up in the morning thinking about and end up eating a slice of the gooey mass for for breakfast. The tomatoes continue to weep, like tomatoes do, after they are cooked. It's not a pretty sight but the taste makes up for it. I can't imagine carrying one of these about.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8753133

MaypopLaurel, I may have to try your way for okra. I know I see it at the Farmers' Market every week! Tonight where we go for dinner every week, served us grilled okra Japanese style and I must say it was so good!

I thought of you as I ate it!

Thumbnail by Kell

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8753282

Laurel , we're home and I'm surfing the recipes threads . Looks like I'll have to try the okra , your way,
as Johnny likes it in any form .
I find if I don't cut the stem off , and gently steam it in a tiny bit of water, with lid on , it wont get slimey as long as you don't over cook or break the pod .
Stewed , with onions and tomatoes is one of my favorite dishes and then who cares if it's "slimey" ?
Hugs
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 13, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8754650

Welcome home, Sal. You've been missed.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 13, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8754666

Got home Monday nite and trying to catch up with all my good buddies . Missed you too . Got to get in touch with Whollyhosta. All my new plants are beautiful and doing good . The lady watered faithfully and took good care of everything while we were gone .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8755514

I'll make you and SO a "Welcome Home" tomato pie or two and okra fritters if you want to come by and eat on the deck tomorrow evening. LMK.

Kell, is there any seasoning on the Japanese-style okra? I told SO about your grilled okra and he's hot to do it! He looked for grilled okra recipes on line and found lots. I discovered the stir fry method when realizing breaded fried okra is not slimy and thought why not try cooking it hot in less oil and no breading? I think the fast heat seals in the slime. You have to let it go for a minute to color and then stir once or twice and then get it out of the pan immediately. Even cut, it does not get slimy. It was so good we were snacking on leftovers like peanuts. The next day I made a salad and was hunting the fridge for interesting additions when I spotted the remaining okra. It ended up on top of the salad instead of croutons. This was a boon for us since the okra patch is bounteous come August.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8755920

It tasted like it had been marinated in a vinegar mix. I emailed the sushi chef yesterday asking him so I will let you know.

Speaking of looking up recipes, yesterday I discovered You Tube recipes! So much fun except I want to eat everything I watch. LOL Then I discovered You Tube also has how to eat different fruit, so ended up looking at about 10 of those. So now I am good to go if ever I land in a tropical paradise or just go down the street to our Asian market. Yesterday I saw a 20 pound jack fruit there and had not clue how to eat it. Such an odd looking fruit inside and out. I need a friend to share one with.

Last night I actually made something that was good! I roasted halves of small brussels sprout with olive oil and some salt. In error, I ended up over cooking them and some were somewhat burned., Oh my! So good, so crispy. We ended up eating them like peanuts too.

You have me definitely wanting to experiment with okra! Gosh, I haven't had breakfast yet and I am making myself so hungry!
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8755933

I've been wanting to try roasted brussel sprouts after seeing the ones that chef Michael Simon makes on one of the Food Network shows--he had bacon mixed in when he roasted them and it looked crazy good. One of those "if your friends/kids etc say they don't like brussels sprouts, try these" recipes:lol:

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8755958

That would be good! So crispy bacon on anything is good! LOL I have pan fried Brussels sprouts sprinkled with Parmesan cheese too and that was a winner also.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8756227

Looky what I found http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061020064615AA0hHoO This explains why it's not slimy.

Dmac, I make roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic and olive oil. I don't cut them and roll them around in the pan every ten minutes, then take them out of the oven when about half turn golden. Then grate fresh Parm cheese over the top while they are hot. In cooler months I grate the cheese and put them back in the turned off oven with the door ajar. The leftovers are also good on top of salads.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8756252

BTW, the link within the link I posted is good reading. Now that we are already OT please forgive me for adding we are going to try two okra versions tonight, grilled and sauteed. This is what's day old in the fridge and SO is out picking more for another day as I tap.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 15, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8757675

Laurel, sounds wonderful exept we're in the middle of caulking , foam sealing and putting up insulation in that room I started two years ago. On second load of laundry in between. I'd better try to get that insulation up tomorrow , but you've been there , after that tree fell on you . Good to have friends like you .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8757829

I'm still there, Sally. The upstairs bathroom vanity is not yet finished. The walls above the beaded pine have not been completely repaired and painted. We'll take a rain check (that is, if we ever get any rain). I canned tomato sauce with onions and peppers today and have two loads of laundry on the line. Actually, I ran out of line and have lingerie hanging from the front fence. Hope no unexpected company drops by. lol Well that's my contribution to a greener planet...not using the drier.

We did our okra Iron Chefing last night. He won. The grilled okra was fantastic. So fantastic he's going to do another round tonight. I'll post a photo on Terry's "What's For Dinner" thread later. Meantime, need to make that pie crust.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8758051

wishing I had a slice of leftover tomato pie from this weekend.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8758068

Better hurry and make another. Tomato season will end before we know it and then what will we do? Just goes to show a tomato pie, with all it's good traits, has no staying power.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8758092

I have stockpiled all the necessary ingredients to make a 'mater pie or two this week. The first one will be served with a brisket for dinner in a few nights. If a second one is requested, I have enough to make it, too :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8758110

Go for it! Don't forget to blind bake the crust. That's the only time I've seen complaints.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8758125

yep...duly noted! (I'm not a fan of soggy stuff...tomatoes and bread - ick. Soggy piecrust - still ick.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8758142

Without further adieu, I'm off to pull my crust for blind baking. I'm making this one all out of Sherrill's watermelon tomatoes. My input on this topic started here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5674846 The tomato is all flesh and hardly any seeds. It should make for a drier pie.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8758189

Our tomatoes are gone for the season.. Will have to check neighboring farms, think my nephew-in-law still has a large field.. I hope so.. I want tomato pie again..Not much tonight, but a banana sandwich on brown bread...

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 15, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8758557

Don't hit me anyone , but because I didn't plant any garden , and am hungry for tomato pie , I'm going to try canned toms and will report the sucess, (failure) of the experiment .Just give me a day or two .

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8758560

I would think it would taste good Digger, just very different from the fresh tomatoes..

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 15, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8758571

Well , I'll try . I know when I'm out of fresh toms , I can drain the chopped , canned ones and use on a sandwich . Pretty good subsitute .

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8760106

Or--you can buy the ones at a grocery store--they would be closer to home-grown than canned...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 16, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8760501

The ones we get in the store down here aren't fit to eat . No flavor , they've been gassed .
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8760808

That's why I'm addicted to the farmer's market here when tomatoes are in season. I'm gonna try growing some next year...my neighbor has huge plants in his front flower bed, they're covering up his front window:lol: I'll have to try the container route or along the side of the building. Gets a decent amount of sun and the soil tends to not dry out like the main bed which would help me with the watering part of it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8761410

Digger--If you grow your tomatoes in pots next year--make sure you get the ones that are
meant to grow in pots on a patio. They, usually, look very stocky and shorter.
If you go with regular tomato varieties--make sure they are "determinate"--means they will only
grow SO tall--and no more.
All the ones that are 6-7 feet tall are indeterminate.
They just keep on growing--and you end up with a jungle.

I am sure the Tomato Forum will be able to help you choose the best ones suited for your area.
That is also where Carolyn "resides"---The Tomato GURU of DG--and the Author of her beautiful book
"100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden". by Carolyn J. Male.
A MUST HAVE!!!

You can pick one up on Amazon. Beautiful Book!!!!! Full of great instructions and amazing color photos.

Here is a picture of the cover. may be easier to find it.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8761437

Gita , I was out of state this summer and couldn't plant anything . paid a friend to water my potted Japanese maples . I think I will try determinate this year . Get them picked and have it over with .
Thanks for jogging my memory .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8761467

Waiting to hear the pie results, Sally. I posted a long while back that the Costco hothouse tomatoes were not bad for a winter option when placed in a dark closet and ripened slowly. DG Uber, FarmerDill, says hothouse grown tomatoes are superior to commercial field grown winter hybrids in flavor and come closer to home grown types. I'm just guessing but maybe it's because commercial field growers choose varieties based more on their ability to stand up to field growing and handling than flavor. So maybe try hothouse types if they carry them at the Sam's near you.

Larkie, I was missing you on the "What's For Dinner" thread. I posted you were probably hiding in a closet 'cause your SO is showing up at the kitchen door with bushels of veggies for you to can. What's the next crop going in now that the tomatoes are done?

According to my SO, our tomato pie the other evening was the best of the season. I was too lazy to go pick fresh sweet basil so I used Thai basil from a big bouquet on the kitchen counter. He loved that it had LOTS of basil going on. I used half Greek yogurt and half mayo as I often do.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8761563

I'm still not cooking much more than one dish meals and DH is lucky to get those .
Meat sauce and noodles with garlic bread last nite and the restaurant can feed me nacho supreme tonight. They just don't make it as good in Texas . Still looking for good menudo here .

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2011

Post #8762094

Maypop, there is nothing here much except for a small field of okra and fields of cotton, soybeans and peanuts..All the produce is history until the next fields of greens come in.. They have been seeded only a few weeks...Very hard to grow them this time of year in our heat.. We are one of the few farms around here that have greens year round.. Trucks will be back on the road by October..

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 18, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8762412

I mixed turnip greens with collards and seasoned with hog jowl and pre cooked sausage a few nights ago . It was good . Had pinto and northern beans cooked together , with ham leftovers for seasoning . D H wanted all that with cornbread for supper . The next afternoon , I ate the greens cold , right out of the fridge . Very good and refreashing for a cold snack . I guess you can say I like all greens , any way they are cooked as long as they have the right seasoning . Gotta have a little sugar on them . Don't laugh .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8763019

Larkie, I agree those greens are struggling to come up in the heat. I fried up the ones I started in flats when I left them outside for a few days and went out of town. We had a big break in the heat in N. GA last week and the greens that were direct sown are coming up. We need some rain though.

Sally, I can eat cold greens and the pot likker for bkfst. but don't like sugar in my veggies.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8763021

I love cold greens, but no sugar either.. But I would not laugh.. I eat many a strange combo..

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 18, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8763238

I don't make them sweet , just enough sugar to make them mild and no bitterness .

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8763570

My sister-in-law does the same and so did my mother-in-law..I love the pungentness (is that a word?) lol

Larkie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2011

Post #8763600

I didn't grow up in the "Deep South" and came late to the greens table. I like the "pungentness" too. Here's a little story to explain how I came to greens...

When we were newly married, and first moved to Georgia, we made friends with a couple in our neighborhood. I worked 7-3 and SO worked regular people time, 9-5. We were invited to a pot luck dinner and I went over early for a lesson in cooking southern foods. Fair disclosure...a little wine was involved. So I am sitting at the counter sipping and my friend is preparing turnips. We were chatting away and I suddenly notice she is tossing turnips in the trash can below while putting greens in a big pot. I felt awkward about pointing out the mistake, thinking she might have had a sip too many, but part of our dinner was quickly landing in the trash. What a surprise when I learned they only ate the greens, except for a couple of chopped up roots for that pungent flavor, and tossed the rest of the roots in the trash. She said the roots were pig food when she was "coming up on the farm". Who knew? She also used to boil her collards for hours in several changes of water. Not me. I took a few dozen turnips home that would have otherwise gone to the dump.
She thought that was weird.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8763694

Well, I love the roots and the greens, sometimes mixed together and sometimes I love a big bowl of roots cooked all by their lonesome.. Good to me, no matter how they are done.. I even like the roots cut like french fries, lightly floured and fried.. Not bad..

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 18, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8763867

Roots sliced very thin make good chips for dip .Raw

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8764304

Okay, I made the pie and the jury is still out. Here's what I did, in case any of these are missteps:

1) Crust: I cheated and used a storebought crust (bad me...). I prebaked it for about 12 minutes, brushed it with egg white and set aside.

2) I sliced up about 5 tomatoes, placed them in a colander and sprinkled with a little salt. I also gently pressed on them to squeeze out more of the moisture before using.

3) I sliced up a bunch of green onions and tops, and diced them fine.

4) I used a mix of sour cream and mayo - about half each.

5) I layered it as follows: tomatoes, onions, basil, more tomatoes, onions, sour cream/mayo and cheese. It was piled nice and high in the center.

I baked at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

It was just barely warm through - not really cooked. Is that the proper consistency or should it have been cooked down more?

I'm not sure what I expected, and the flavors were good - they just seemed a little undercooked. (Maybe I've just answered my own question?)

But from all you raving tomato pie fanatics, tips, pointers, please? I want to take at least one more stab at it while tomatoes are in season.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8764384

I get a little rougher with the tomatoes, removing some of the seeded areas, sometimes using a few roma tomatoes, When I remove them from the colander I blot them with paper towels before placing in the pie. Cooking longer might be part of it. I've never eaten a tomato pie other what I've baked, so I'm not sure what is normal.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8764475

I don't put anything on my crust and blind bake it for eight minutes. I don't salt and drain the tomatoes but sometimes slice them in half first and gently squeeze the seeds and gel out, then slice them. I have used onions, both green and yellow but precook them slightly first. I prefer the pie with no onions. The biggest problem I see is the cooking time. It takes 40-50 minutes to cook a pie. The cheese on top should be golden as well as the crust. If your convection oven is making the pie too dark too fast then drop the temp. I bake mine at 325 convect. If the crust or cheese is still browning too quickly make a foil edging around the pan perimeter and tip the foil towards the center of the pie. It takes the same amount of time to bake this kind of pie as most other fruit pies.

Truth be known, though nothing is better than a summer tomato in this recipe, it's the best use of a store bought one I've ever experienced.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8764528

I think it was the cooking time. My convection was set on 350 (which translates to 325). The cheese was nice and golden, and the filling wasn't watery - but it just didn't taste "cooked" and the flavors didn't meld. All signs point to underdone. The pie crusts came two to a pack, and I managed to pick up two packages. I can think of no better use for them than another attempt :-)

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8764563

I just slice the tomatoes, no salt or draining.. Well cooked, bought pie shell.. Layer the tomatoes,& onions if using.. and the rest of the fillings, Mayo, cheese, salt, pepper, anything small.. I just mix all together and pour over the tomatoes..Baked mine about 30-35 min til golden brown and bubbly.

Larkie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8764841

Have you calibrated your oven with an oven thermometer, Terry? I check mine at least once a year and sometimes have to make adjustments. Still, even if the temp is correct that's too little time.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8764973

I haven't tested or calibrated the oven temp, but most things get baked in the normal amount of time (roasts, cookies, cakes.) So anecdotally, I'd chalk this one up to simply not baking long enough.
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8831104

You all make me smile :) so glad you are keeping this pie alive. I made so many of them and sold them that I can't even stomach making or eating one anymore, though I have a friend that made one every day of the summer for 3 years! Sorry, couldn't do it.

Oh Terry, I could've told you right away, don't use your convection oven for this recipe. I have a convection/conventional oven and do not like the convection!!!

Happy Day,
Kathy

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8831364

Kathy, this thread got too long for me to read all of it.

I too am one of the lucky to have come across your recipe. I never heard of it either, but we've had several already this year.

So I thank you much too!

If no one has said, I brush the raw dough with half and half and it really helps to keep the crust from getting soggy. I use the Pillsbury refrigerated crust and found if I pre-bake it shrinks way too much!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 1, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8831393

Billy , egg yolk works great for the raw dough,10 mins in the oven . I never make a graham cracker pie with out the egg brush , pre bake first .

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8832437

Thanks Digger, it would taste good too :o)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 2, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8832590

Hi, Billyporter , You can't taste the egg but it sure makes a nice firm , cookie texture for the no bake pies .
Wish I could get my D H to slow down for pictures of barn faces .
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

October 2, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8832924

Whenever I see an update on the tomato pie file, I get such a huge smile on my face. This was such an amazing discovery a couple summers ago!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 2, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8833177

Yes , almost as good as mater samiches
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

October 2, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8833478

grew up with mater samiches - growed old before mater pie happened

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
3:39 AM

Post #8833823

Hi Digger, I have got to get back to my Barn Face thread. I have three pictures on stand by and keep running out of time. I actually think I'll have to search my threads for it, LOL!

Wannadanc, I second that! I have a tub of green tomatoes I need to turn into pie next.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 3, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8834004

Invite Me !

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8843158

:o)

You missed the pie, but I have a few roasted tomatoes left over. I had over-ripe ones and decided to try it. Boy, were they good! The house smelled like spagetti sauce as they cooked. I'm going to try it with the green next.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 10, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8843248

Green tom salsa is good too ! serve with fresh cilantro sprinkled on top . (I dump it on , I like it so much ! )

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8844782

I've never tried that, but I've never had so many green tomatoes in the house at one time either, LOL!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8845171

The pie is delicious with the green tomatoes.. I do it the same, but use Feta & a little Swiss cheese.

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 11, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8845197

AAH ! Swiss cheese is good on anything.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8845220

Very true.. Can't go wrong with cheese.. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2011
5:45 AM

Post #8847192

Yesterday I dug into the three dishpans of tomatoes. I roasted all those that turned red, as two green tomato pies baked. I added a layer of cottage cheese and mozerella to one of the pies with a little oregano, and used pepper jack cheese with a little cumin in the other. I have one tub of mostly green that I put in the fridge so they don't turn.

I also froze fried green tomatoes to see how they do later this winter.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8847317

billy--

You can also freeze whole tomatoes--just as is. No blanching or anything.
Just put them in a zip-loc baggie. That's all

Then--as you need fresh tomatoes in cooking--take some out--dip them in some hot water to remove the skin-and dice.
They dice so nicely--as they are not frozen rock-hard. But they are very firm and dicing works great.
Use as needed...

My Spanish neighbor taught me this. Gita

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8847788

For green tomatoes to freeze, I slice them as for frying, coat in egg/milk and then flour with a little cornmeal mixed in.. Place single layer on cookie sheet and freeze about 20 minutes, place in freezer bags and take out to fry as wanted.. They keep several months this way.. Do not defrost before frying.. Coating will stay put when done this way.. I also do okra and other coated veggies this way..Makes for a lot less mess with the breading..

Larkie

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8847901

what a great idea!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 13, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8848072

I do the same and also freeze my fish ready to take out and drop in hot peanut oil .

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2011
4:43 AM

Post #8848440

Gita, it may come to that if I run out of time to cook with them. Thanks!

Larkie, I'll try that oo. I went ahead and froze some already fried. I haven tried any to see if that was worth it.

Digger, I use peanut oil. It makes the fish sound delicious :o)

I will have to do something soon since I already cleaned and cored those sitting in the fridge. I forgot I had set the all green one's on the cold side porch. It's going to get down to 31* Wednesday so they might get frozen first, LOL! Boy, I need a list for what I have left to do!

I did make a green tomato rice dish from the Googled recipes and it was good! I need to make another. We ate half of it the afternoon I made it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 15, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9242735

OK , it's that time of year to bump this thread up . I don't remember if I posted it here , but had to use canned whole toms on one of my tom pies . It worked out fine and nobody knew the difference . If you have a lousy tom season , you can still enjoy one of your own .

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9242750

Maxine--or whomever "is now in charge" of this Thread...

It is almost at 300 Posts. Usually--around 200 Posts is when people bump ahead and make a Part #2 or #3.

Thanks--Gita
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9243358

Yes! Great recipe that makes a great gift . . . for yourself or others.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9282437

I just ran across this variation on the tomato pie and thought some of you may be interested. Corn and Tomato Pie

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/72d5hR/www.closetcooking.com/2011/09/corn-and-tomato-pie.html

And a biscuit pie crust
http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/09/biscuit-pie-crust.html

This looked good and easy too with phyllo dough, Tomato Tart.
http://www.closetcooking.com/2008/09/tomato-tart.html
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 21, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9282465

I like those variations . Be trying them

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9282731

I am too. Tomorrow we are making smoky tomato soup from heirloom tomatoes with cheddar cheese croutons and with it the tomato and corn pie. I can't wait.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 22, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9282805

Tomato soup , a favorite . When I was pregnant , All I wanted to eat was either tomato soup, or hot , buttered cornbread crumbled in a glass of milk .
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9283251

Ok, I just made my first tomato pie. Do you wait till it cools to eat?? It really looks good.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9283308

You have extraordinary willpower if you wait 'til its cool! I would definitely eat it while its hot. :-)

Tam
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 22, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9283422

I don't think anyone CAN wait 'till it cools .

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9284217

Oh Kell,
YUM! I bookmarked the recipwes too!

Lizh,
Nope! It's delicious hot!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

December 8, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9352867

I made this for a guest yesterday and so another tomato pie lover has been created.
As I came over here to revisit the recipe this AM, I am just amazed at how mine differs from what I perceive is the DG version - how could that happen??

Bacon or smallest chunks of beef pepperoni add to mayo/cheese mix before topping
Slices of sweet onion - sometimes slightly sauteed ahead of time on top of or underneath tomato layer
Basil leaves laid on top of all that before applying topping - only now do I see cut basil in the commentary.
Never have peeled or strained tomatoes

Wherever did I come up with this version???

Anyway - it is as good and beautiful as ever!!!!!! Certainly didn't have any homegrown tomatoes - store bought had to do.

Happy Holidays!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 8, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9352909

I was thinking about makeing one all week . Canned toms will work .
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9362406

Just drain them :) I believe I said that you could switch it up anyway. I made it simple to sell. Figured if people warmed it up, they could add their embellishments :)

So glad it's still making its rounds.

:) K

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9362470

The canned tomatoes are ok, but very different & totally nothing like the original... nowhere as good as the fresh.. This pie cannot be beat.

Larkie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9362531

I can't get into the canned tomato version though I bet it is good. My reasoning is that the essence of tomato pie is all about garden tomatoes. The most mediocre garden tomato becomes elevated to new heights when it goes into a tomato pie. Maybe this is a bit dramatic, but those who have had the real deal will understand. The version I learned when I moved to Georgia is almost identical to Larkie's though there's no garlic in mine and the cheese is sharp cheddar only. I use Dukes mayo, which is a southern brand but grew up on Hellman's.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9362536

I don't use garlic either..As much as I love and eat garlic, I do not want it in this pie..

Larkie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9362566

A tomato pie is only as good as its crust. If you use a prepared one there are degrees of acceptability out there but a homemade crust cradling those tomatoes will make a southerner soulful.

Our tomato pies sound pretty much the same, Larkie. Now we need to come up with something like okra pie or greens quiche. Actually, a greens quiche is intriguing. I'll work on that one. BTW, I've been thinking about you a lot because we did not plant a fall garden and I'm dreaming of your miles of collards and other greens. I've got several quarts in the freezer but would like to be seeing fresh in our garden.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9362638

Sounds good to me.. I would think any of the greens could certainly replace spinach in a quiche recipe.. As for okra, I love it no matter how you cook or pickle it.

Larkie
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 20, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9362858

Nothing equals ripe garden tomatoes . The gassed ones in stores lack the flavor and to my taste , the pie is wasted on them . The whole , canned are a better choice if you crave a pie and it's mid winter . I always have canned or frozen on the shelf or in the freezer .The choice of cheese around here is Swiss . Pre cooked bacon completes the pie .
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9364078

Well, when I was a teenager, one of my favorite meals (cheap and always available as we had govt food communities)...was elbow macaroni with canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, butter. Ate a lot of that because they would always give us an ample supply of that. You know that food wasn't that bad (some things were rough), but maybe we should try to do that again...people would eat better (no chips or soda) and perhaps it won't cost as much as what the country gives out in EBT benefits now.

We used to get everything...except chips and soda if I recall.

But that was a tasty quick meal and I made it for my own children from time to time.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

December 22, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9365031

I still would love to be able to have that, Misty Meadows, but type 2 diabetes has put the halt to a lot of my preferences!!!!!!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9367444

I understand. I am diabetic now too (maybe because of that, ha, ha) and I don't eat a lot of pasta; while I do love it, I don't miss it that much ;)
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9367542

Have you tried Dreamfield's pasta? It tastes and looks like regular pasta with the following benefits. (I am type 2 also)

“With only 5 grams of digestible carbs per cup,
Dreamfields helps you manage blood sugar."
“It has 5 grams of fiber per serving, similar to whole wheat pasta.”

MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9368002

I do like dreamfields pasta, but it is hard to find for me. Also, I have to vie away from wheat pasta because I think I have a gluten allergy. I've been off my gluten free for a while due to circumstances and I've eaten wheat products and I can really tell the difference :( So I really just avoid pasta as much as I can right now. I have found brown rice pasta to be good for the gluten part, but the rice part of it sends my sugar numbers sailing. Can't win for losing! ;)
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

January 4, 2013
7:52 PM

Post #9375851

Eat to your meter if you are diabetic!!! Check your blood glucose an hour and then 2 hours after trying something new - like Dreamfields. The results will tell you a lot about how well you can tolerate some of the processed foods that are bantered about as being OK.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
11:49 AM

Post #9377263

This is a looooong thread, and I know someone probably asked already, but, can these pies be constructed in advance and frozen?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 6, 2013

Post #9377499

I guess they could be, but I think it would ruin the texture of the pie..

Larkie

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9377514

Ok, thanks!
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2013
7:48 PM

Post #9378711

Gymgirl...this pie is not meant to freeze ahead of time. The crust will be soggy and the tomatoes won't have the same texture. I'm not saying it won't be good, but I like the way it is made fresh. You should try one, freeze it, and let us know.

Also, I don't think with the mayo it would freeze very good. It just doesn't sound appealing to me that way.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 8, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9378955

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293172/

Continuing thread #2 for tomato pie
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2013
11:47 PM

Post #9630213

Time to bump. I realize this thread has continued, but there are so many good tips here...

Once again, Thank you Kathy.

Reading this thread also made me a bit sad, we've lost a lot of good people since the first time Kathy got us all addicted to her pie. :)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2013
5:19 AM

Post #9636944

Good to bump :o)
MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2013
8:26 PM

Post #9674652

I'm still here though...just not as much as I used to . :(

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America