Photo by Melody

Weather: Hurricane Ivan (Hope not Ivan the Terrible)

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 198, Views: 1,778
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2004
2:08 AM

Post #1037509

Hello!

I got tired of clicking on a bunch of different Web sites to get the information I wanted, so I put together a weather page for quick reference when I want to check on the current storms. It isn't much, but it may be helpful to others.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_2004_ivan.htm

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements or inclusions of other kinds of data that would be useful, please let me know. Thanks!

And I hope we will all be safe from Ivan.

Jean

Edited to correct the link to go directly to the "Ivan" page.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2004 6:45 AM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2004
2:48 AM

Post #1037557

Lookf good Jean. I can see Ivan and Frances clearly. Thanks. You are way too cool, girl!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2004
12:38 PM

Post #1037855

jean, that is one awesome website! Thanks, looks like I'll be tuned into it over the week...
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #1039949

According to the AP, Grenada took a direct hit from Ivan which strengthened to a Cat 4 again while over Grenada. It leveled concrete block buildings and is headed to Jamaica.
jperilloux
Norco, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 8, 2004
3:42 PM

Post #1040071

If it continues on its predicted path it'll be in Navarre Beach, FL, next Tuesday.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
3:57 PM

Post #1040103

Looks to me like South America will feel some of the effects of this bad boy, as well.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2004
4:21 PM

Post #1040132

Just had a phonecall from an employee and his wife who are in Negril, Jamaica. They are trying to get a flight out this afternoon. The hotel they are staying in is not saying a word to anyone about the impending Ivan :(

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2004
4:30 PM

Post #1040148

JERKS!!!
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2004
5:21 PM

Post #1040237

Hotel doesn't want a mass exodus.

It's funny. I spent twenty years as a travel agent. Selling travel insurance to someone who was going on a cruise was easy. Selling travel insurance to someone who bought a package to Disney was almost impossible. Why? I never understood it. The ships can reroute and get away from a hurricane. Might not get the ports of call you thought, but you will still have a lovely trip. Disney closes for weather for several days, Orlando can't go anywhere!

Oh the joys of human nature.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
12:17 AM

Post #1040784

Just looked at Ivan's forecasted track again...sure feel sorry for all who have had Frances and Charlie and I really hope Ivan dies in it's track and that all are ready to bug out if nothing slows that one down!!!!!!!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
12:22 AM

Post #1040786

Lilypon, I think you are right to be concerned about Ivan and our friends in Florida... plus Louisiana, as it could also be a target.

I, too, hope Ivan dies a quick death... another hit on Florida so soon would be more than most of those people can bear.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2004
2:17 AM

Post #1040929

hurricane season really STINKZ!

praying for everyone!!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
2:19 AM

Post #1040940

Am keeping one eye on Ivan!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
2:22 AM

Post #1040947

I'm glad to hear that weeds!!! I keep peeking at work and check it when I get up and before I go to bed...if I'm doing that here Floridians and Lousianians must be glued to it!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
2:24 AM

Post #1040949

Not really, too far away yet...can get really stressed if I focus on it too soon...will just wait and see where it goes.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #1040960

I think that lone "Sinner" in FL needs to fess up so God leaves FL alone, LOL.

(Have to find some humour somewhere about all this weather... please do not ANYONE take my comment seriously.)

edited for spelling

This message was edited Sep 8, 2004 10:39 PM
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
2:31 AM

Post #1040968

I think that person prolly works near me! LOL Darius...it was funny!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
4:25 AM

Post #1041130

Time to get out of Dodge, Frances! Take Ivan with you! Git!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
6:11 AM

Post #1041185

Thurs. Sept 9th's 2:00 am bulletin:

RECENT REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT
INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NOW NEAR 160 MPH...255
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. THIS MAKES IVAN A RARE CATEGORY 5
HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS
IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2004
10:07 AM

Post #1041226

I have a room booked, a bag packed, and the cat carriers ready to go. Just in case.

The projected path, based upon computer models which are fairly unreliable, will change a bazillion times more in the next few days, but the meteorologists might have more of a handle on Ivan by Friday evening.

I sure don't look forward to evacuating again, but will do so at a moment's notice, if necessary (and I DON'T wait for "officials" to tell me that it is time to leave -- I have eyes too).

But if a slow-moving Category 3 or Cat 4 or 5 were to make a direct hit on New Orleans, this below-sea-level, bowl-shaped city would be inundated with 20 to 30 feet of standing water from a very large, nearby lake. There isn't anyplace around here that's 30 feet high! Talk about a flat-lander!

We'll see what develops...
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2004
12:16 PM

Post #1041301

latest 5-day track :(

Thumbnail by Dea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
2:15 PM

Post #1041402

I know the folks in the FL Keys aren't happy that mandatory evacuation started this morning for ALL tourists, and this evening for folks in mobile homes... but maybe it will save a bunch of lives.

Dea, I couldn't open the photo of the track you posted, so I'm posting it again. Here's what the Forecasters have to say about the projected track:

[quote] SURVEILLANCE FLIGHTS AROUND IVAN HAS RESULTED IN TIGHT AGREEMENT AMONG ALL OF THE AVAILABLE NHC MODELS THROUGH 60 HOURS...ON IVAN MOVING OVER OR AT LEAST VERY NEAR JAMAICA IN 36-48 HOURS. AFTER THAT...THE MODELS DIVERGE CONSIDERABLY...ALTHOUGH THE SPREAD IS MUCH LESS THAN IT HAS BEEN OVER THE PREVIOUS 2-3 DAYS.

UNFORTUNATELY...THE MODEL SPREAD STILL BRACKETS THE FLORIDA
PENINSULA. THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MODELS AGAIN REMAINS IN HOW THEY HANDLE THE DEVELOPMENT AND FUTURE TRACK OF A MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL LOW CURRENTLY NEAR 34N 48W. WATER VAPOR WINDS SUGGEST THAT THE UPPER-LOW IS STRONGER THAN ALL OF THE MODELS HAVE BEEN FORECASTING.

HOWEVER...THE MODEL THAT INITIALIZED THE LOW THE BEST AT 00Z WAS NOGAPS. THIS MODEL HAS BEEN VERY CONSISTENT...ALONG WITH THE ECMWF MODEL...ON BRINGING IVAN ACROSS WEST-CENTRAL CUBA AND THEN OVER OR NEAR THE FLORIDA PENINSULA. THE UKMET MODEL REMAINS THE WESTERNMOST OUTLIER...WHILE THE GFS IS STILL THE EASTERNMOST OUTLIER. HOWEVER...BOTH MODELS HAVE BEEN GRADUALLY SHIFTING THEIR TRACKS TOWARD FLORIDA...AND THE LATEST GFDL RUN NOW TAKES IVAN ACROSS SOUTHEAST FLORIDA IN 96-120 HOURS.

GIVEN THE BETTER AGREEMENT AMONG THE MODELS ON THIS FORECAST CYCLE...THE OFFICIAL TRACK IS CLOSE TO THE PREVIOUS FORECAST THROUGH 72 HOURS...AND THEN SHIFTED SLIGHTLY EASTWARD AT 96- AND 120-HR.
[/quote]

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
2:16 PM

Post #1041406

I STILL think that lone "Sinner" in FL needs to fess up so God leaves FL alone, LOL.

(Have to find some humour somewhere about all this weather... please do not ANYONE take my comment seriously.)

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
2:17 PM

Post #1041408

Sounds like you have your 'ducks in a row' Sweet Pea and, a good head on your shoulders!
Carol7
Surry, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
4:34 PM

Post #1041616

My local news said that the current track has about 60% accuracy at this point since it is still a few days away.

LouisianaSweetPea, I agree with imway2dumb that you are smart to be prepared should anything change.

Darius, I take it that they are having the tourists leave because it is only 2 lanes in and out if you are driving?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
4:38 PM

Post #1041627

Carol, yes, I think that's the reasoning. They say it will take 36 hours to evacuate, and that's BEFORE residents in homes other than mobile.

Gads, what another mess coming.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
4:43 PM

Post #1041639

Ivan is behaving "terribly" even now! I wish we had a member from Cuba. Do we?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
5:05 PM

Post #1041672

Ivan has destroyed 90% of the homes in Granada! He is in fact "Ivan the Terrible." This storm is awfull!!
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2004
5:14 PM

Post #1041685

Yes, I told Dh that We better start pack and get ready in case if it come to LA. Need to go groceries and buy some canned foods in case so we dont have to worry about it later..
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
5:23 PM

Post #1041707

Water for drinking too. Fill your bath tub for washing up later.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
5:26 PM

Post #1041711

Something for Pati to think about...stubborn woman!

EVACUATE !!!

Winds 111 to 130 mph and/or a storm surge nine to 12 feet above normal. Structural damage to residences and utility buildings. Mobile homes frequently are destroyed. Flooding near the coast destroys small structures and larger structures are damaged by floating debris. Terrain lower than five feet above sea level is flooded eight or more miles inland.

To me, that would mean, "It is probably a really good idea to START EVACUATION PROCEDURES IMMEDIATELY."

I HOPE YOU LEFT !!!

Winds 131 to 155 mph and/or a storm surge 13 to 18 feet above normal. Extensive outside wall failure with complete roof failure on small residences. Major erosions of beaches and major damage to the lower floors of buildings near the shore. Terrain continuously lower than 10 feet above sea level may be flooded and evacuation of residential areas may be required.

In my opinion, that means, "GET THE HE$$ OUT OF THERE! NOW! It's a LOT worse than that picture."

[quote]IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU...

Winds greater than 155 mph and/or a storm surge greater than 18 feet above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and buildings and complete destruction of small utility buildings can be expected. Major damage likely to lower floors of structures.

"I HOPE YOU'VE ALREADY LEFT BECAUSE, IF NOT, YOU'RE IN BAD SHAPE" (and if you choose to stay, pin a name/address tag on yourself so that your body can be identified). [/quote]

Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
5:38 PM

Post #1041745

I know I read somewhere that even concrete block structures were seriously damaged in Grenada. But would someone explain why they think this thing is going to turn north? So far it has been primarily west. An uneducated person (me) would be inclined to think Central America is in trouble more than Florida and Louisiana. Is there something else that will influence it's direction?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2004
5:47 PM

Post #1041762

I'm wondering same thing, is there a strong high over the G of M keeping it from moving westward? 'Caines do cross directly across the Gulf and right on across Mexico. Howcum the right hand turn?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
6:04 PM

Post #1041791

Here is a link that may help answer your questions: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huricane/science/weddyhur.htm
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2004
6:19 PM

Post #1041894

It has to do with developing ridges and troughs over the Atlantic and central United States. These factors will help "steer" Ivan when he starts slowing down.

Large, powerful, fast-moving storms tend to defy steering currents and make their own weather, so Ivan has to slow down to be affected by them. But there are factors in play that will also help to slow him, probably after he crosses Jamaiaca.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
6:19 PM

Post #1041896

and: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wopal.htm
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
6:42 PM

Post #1041923

Right now the projected track is similar to Charlie. Across Cuba and into the gulf.
Terre_
Golden, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2004
7:41 PM

Post #1042003

Thanks lilypon, I learn so much on DG!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
8:20 PM

Post #1042082

Sustained winds of 160 mph! Headed toward Jamaica.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2004
8:25 PM

Post #1042092

Mini - you just make the lists, no lifting water or groceries. This is no joke - even if its glue not stitches yoou had a long slice put in you. Talk about stubborn people.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2004
9:06 PM

Post #1042140

Your welcome...God help those poor people in Jamaica!
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2004
9:17 PM

Post #1042156

i just saw the keys evacuation notice - can't believe this is happening again to florida and the islands...this one looks like the worst yet...wish there were something more i could do

Thumbnail by handhelpers

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 9, 2004
10:21 PM

Post #1042255

I can't believe this is happening again either!!! We got electric back around 4:30 this afternoon when a crew from Georgia came by and replaced a part on each of two transformers. It took all of 20 minuters! Grrr They tell us that they hope to get tree trimmers in before we get more high winds or we will surely lose our power again. My DH has been asking for the power company to take care of those trees for 2 years...

The thing that bothers me most is that if we have high winds across any of the eastern Gulf states it will possibly mean we'll have to cancel our KY Roundup trip. Sheesh! We've only been looking forward to it for a whole year! No towing a trailer in high winds.

We're hearing the projected path is pretty sure up until Ivan hits Cuba then they really don't know. The projections are then all over the map and none of the 3 computers agree. They also tell us that Cat 5 status is hard to maintain and they expect some weakening but no matter where she goes she will probably still remain a major storm.

Somebody here in Florida (one of our techs) wanted to see a hurricane first hand...he's talked about it for years but was the first one Monday telling us how wrong he'd been and he never wants another storm. What a couple of days of fear and no electricity will do to change a mind! LOL We could always blame this on him...I know I'll be mentioning it in the morning!

Have a great evening everyone!

Stacey
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2004
10:44 PM

Post #1042289

You too, Stacy. See you later. :-)
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 9, 2004
11:05 PM

Post #1042329

Floridian, is he the person Darius has been mentioning????? Ha
old_rose
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2004
11:06 PM

Post #1042330

This is an unbelievable picture. Look how little Jamica looks compared to Ivan. They are saying it may lose some steam as it gets near Cuba and then into some cooler water. I found another really good website for updates on the islands. http://stormcarib.com/ Keeping all you Florida friends in my prayers

Thumbnail by old_rose

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
5:20 AM

Post #1042760

I clicked on your link old_rose and The Weather and Discussion forum contained within is quite eye opening!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2004
5:37 AM

Post #1042774

Yeah I did too, a couple hours ago and I forgot to thank you. So here it is. Thanks for that link old_rose! :-|
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2004
6:43 AM

Post #1042792

Don't forget to get ice if you have a freezer. When alicia hit galveston some years back, they were selling ice for 5.00 a bag.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2004
10:27 AM

Post #1042867

Weeds, could be...I'll tell him it's time to give up his wicked ways!
old_rose
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2004
11:52 AM

Post #1042927

Glad you liked the link I think it is interesting because it is written by real people not the news. Good idea about the ice most of the arguements I saw (on the news )in FL after francis were over the 1 bag per houshold rule on ice.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
2:12 PM

Post #1043050

DH just spoke to his dispatch (the young lady was recently transferred from Nova Scotia, Canada) and is now located in St. Petersburg, Florida. She has a bad cold, is stressed out and her motorcycle is not working...she said she is mighty sick of all of this.
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2004
3:36 PM

Post #1043212

Originally posted this on Frances thread, then found this thread, so decided to copy it here...

Wow...finally getting to check in. Am glad that all our DGers made it through Frances safe with only property loss.

Since we live in a mobile, we evacuated (mandatory for our area for mobiles) to our nieces CBS house about 10 miles south of us. 14 of us there (5 adults, 5 kids, 4 dogs - not counting the fish!) 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom...no power or phone from Saturday afternoon on...we even lost cell phones from Sunday through Tuesday. Tons of rain & very strong wind. No damage at niece's. Our place lost 2 great big pines (but very fortunately, they both missed our house!!) lots of Oak limbs down, some roof damage, with a major leak in one of our bathrooms, and a few minor leaks throughout the house. We got power back at niece's place on Wednesday afternoon, at our place yesterday. Brought all our stuff back home yesterday evening (had our van & Suburban packed full with clothing, food & miscellaneous items).

Now, with Ivan threatening to come up the west coast, don't know whether to unpack or not. Unfortunately our only highway worthy vehicle is a PT Cruiser...will fit the family (not including the pets, though) and maybe a weeks worth of luggage. The van & Suburban both have transmission problems and probably wouldn't make it 50 miles from here...

If it looks like Ivan isn't going to change course or intensity, we're planning on putting everything we can into a small (about 12'x12') basement we have (yep, an actual basement in Florida - it's under our shed, and houses our well pump) and packing the family into the car and heading out...not sure where yet; we've got family up in DeFuniak Springs (which probably won't be a very good 'hiding place' from Ivan; it's located in the panhandle), friends in Jacksonville and are even considering possibly just taking off for DH's hometown up in SW Ohio. I hate the thought of being away from here and not knowing how our home weathers the storm, but safety for the family has to be the first consideration. Still don't know what we'll do with the pets, though, as there just isn't room for them in the vehicle (have 1 small dog, 1 big dog, 1 cat, 4 fish). If Ivan weakens, we'll probably try sticking it out at niece's again; at least there we can try to get out and check on our place from time to time.

One weather person I heard the other day said something about the possibility that if Ivan got strong enough, it could acutally implode upon itself, basically destroying itself. I just can not pray that the storm changes paths, as that would just put someone else in harm's way, but I am praying for a miracle. Hope that all our DGers remain safe.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #1043216

Good to hear from you Beth, taking a long time for everybody to check in and Ivan on his way. oh, My. I wouldn't bother to unpack. I can also see the urge to stay at niece's place, might be hard to get back in after he goes. If he's a five when he gets there, yu may not want to go back. Will niece keep dogs if you leave without 'em?
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2004
3:59 PM

Post #1043243

I'm sure she would, but they're planning on boarding up and leaving...these last five days were really stressful for her, her 'live-in' and her son (4 yrs old).

If it were just me & DH to consider, we'd almost definitely just stay at niece's and weather the storm, but we've got 3 girls to consider, too, (ages 26, 18 & 12) and one of them is handicapped (the 26 yr old), so it's really hard to feel comfortable with possibly putting them in harm's way.

If Ivan is a 5 when he gets here, there won't be a 'home' to go back to...and that thought is really killing me. 13 years of life/memories in this house. In my 46 years of life, this is the longest I've ever been in one place (dad was in the service, so the longest we were ever in one place was maybe 6 years and even after I 'left home', I moved from place to place every 4 or 5 years or so. lol...I finally got to the point in my life where the urge to 'roam' was gone and I feel like I've actually got roots (lol...in more ways than one!) and now this. I keep telling myself that I will accept whatever the Creator puts in my path and keep trying to find the positive aspects to look at...but it sure is hard to do sometimes...
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2004
4:37 PM

Post #1043312

I can only imagine the stress. And am amazed to think you can get five people into a PT they look smaller than that. Maybe it will spin itself to death. That's a new one to me. I too find it hard to find a positive aspect to this. ~Blooms

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
5:22 PM

Post #1043408

I am so glad to see others posting (Beth, Ginger and BT) that haven't in a while. Going through two hurricanes is enough...my condolences over the third. :(
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2004
5:41 PM

Post #1043435

The Oregon coast is starting to look more and more appealing.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
5:45 PM

Post #1043442

lololololol @ BT ;)
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2004
5:47 PM

Post #1043447

Hey BT, I am thinking of loading up and visiting lilypon...she just doesn't know it yet...
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 10, 2004
5:48 PM

Post #1043449

No earthquakes there??

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
5:49 PM

Post #1043450

Just let me know... I'll be happy to have you!! You WILL be much, much cooler here I can guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
BuriedTreasures
Valrico, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2004
6:10 PM

Post #1043478

No real Earthquakes in Oregon. That's why I ruled out Seattle.

I'll stand in the middle of one of these storms, before I'll go any place that snows. Yuck.
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2004
6:15 PM

Post #1043484

Beth- Earthquakes are unpredictable. Unlike hurricanes. Hurricanes will come predictably every year. There is a hurricane season in Florida. There is no earthquake season and they are few and far between. Knock on wood, in 1 1/2 years, I have felt one little bump. Nothing fell of the shelves even. And I live on a fault line.

Of course, you wouldn't want to live here and watch this site LOL!
http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
6:32 PM

Post #1043500

You are such an tender tropical BT!! ;b

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2004
6:55 PM

Post #1043524

Thanks for all your prayers, Friends...I'm getting pretty nervous here. Got my first cold the other day...and who says stress doesn't make you sick. Only a few more hours and we will know our fate. What a month this has been.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2004
8:07 PM

Post #1043594

Stacey (Floridian) sent this to me and I thought some of y'all might get a laugh out of it. Lord knows you need a laught about now.

Thumbnail by darius

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 10, 2004
8:07 PM

Post #1043595

Stacey (Floridian) sent this to me and I thought some of y'all might get a laugh out of it. Lord knows you need a laugh about now.

Thumbnail by darius

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2004
11:26 PM

Post #1043785

Oh my! That IS funny. Floridian outdid herself! LOL.

If you can, would you send me a copy without the copyright lettering across the title?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 10, 2004
11:31 PM

Post #1043792

BuriedTreasures if you do decide to "stand in the middle of one of these storms, before I'll go any place that snows. Yuck" Please let me know and I'll send an email to one of our members in Nova Scotia and she can fish you out there. p.s. the northern Atlantic is a lot colder than here! ;)

This message was edited Sep 10, 2004 5:34 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
12:28 AM

Post #1043853

My oldest brother, in Jacksonville FL, called me a few minutes ago. He's trying to find a generator, and none are available, of course.

I called all over western NC and eastern TN... all theirs have been sent to FL, so I guess he is outta luck. WHY do people wait so long to get what may be a Lifesaver??
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2004
12:30 AM

Post #1043857

Human nature darius.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #1043860

Yeah, Weeds... it's Human Nature... but WHY is it so OBTUSE?
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2004
12:35 AM

Post #1043862

And I got it from Weeds!! It's a great one!

LSP send me an email and I'll send it to you

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #1043863

Stacey, I already sent it to her (LSP).
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2004
12:40 AM

Post #1043866

Hey Floridian, those emails go flying don't they????
Darius, obtuse? uh well thank you.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #1043870

ob-tuse:
a. Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.
b. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity: an obtuse remark.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2004
12:50 AM

Post #1043882

all you FL peps,, stay safe,, I'm praying it don't come your way again !! all of your are in my prayers !!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2004
12:51 AM

Post #1043884

The commercial...i was being funny...well i guess not!!!
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2004
12:56 AM

Post #1043892

most people don't think they need it ,, till they day comes when they do,,, I know companies from Michigan sent some and ice to,, and people to help rebuild,,

funny weeds !! you have to have humor !! makes life more fun and during this time of need ,, I bet it helps peps out !!!

cheryle
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2004
5:20 AM

Post #1043994

I have been living in Southern California since about 1967 and have felt a number of earthquakes. None of them did any damage. I was living in Garden Grove at the time of the Sylmar earthquake. It was early morning and I was still in bed. I woke up and wondered if it was over, I looked at an empty picture frame hanging on the wall and it was standing away from the wall so I knew the earthquake was still happening.

The most spectacular was years later was the Whittier earthquake. I was living in this house. I had just put my thrash cans out and had bent over to pick up something off the street. For some reason I looked down the street to the West. There was this ripple some 6 to 10 inches high coming rapidly towards me. It felt like my face was going to touch the pavement as it went past. Now I know that what I saw was not what actually happened, the curbs would have broken. I heard glass tinkling somewhere nearby. In my house a book fell off of a bookshelf. There was no other damage.

I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornados. I grew up in Nebraska and one time saw 5 tornados at one time. We never had any damage but as radar and weather forcasting got better we were constantly worried during the season.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2004
12:36 PM

Post #1044158

They sure have come along way with tornado spotting. Charley spawned 11 or 12 tornadoes in her wake. I'll tell you nothing raises hair faster than hearing the meteorologists/newscasters telling you to take cover immediately. I feel lucky to have never seen a tornado but I've seen plenty of water spouts. We were about 100 miles offshore in the Gulf watching a storm brewand saw 3 waterspouts coming off the leading edge of the storm. It was incredible to watch them dip up and down and stretch til they finally just pulled back up and disappeared. How I wish I'd been able to get pictures. Odd that we've never been afraid of waterspouts, you just never hear of anyone being hurt by them.

George your description of the quakes is fascinating. They name the earthquakes? Do they have to be destructive or memorable to be named? I can't imagine feeling the earth move under my feet and out of the blue.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2004
1:48 PM

Post #1044178

I agree earthquakes are scary,,, we have a few very very small ones here,, but living with the big ones would scare me,, I'm glad I live here ,,, I give all of you a ton of credit having to deal with how bad mother nature can be when she is in a bad mood !!

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2004
5:15 PM

Post #1044525

Weeds, Gins and other Panhandlers...how are the hurricane preparations going? I hope things are going well!
It's a total madhouse down here and it looks like we're going to miss the brunt of it this time. Do you know I can't even buy a can of Great Northern Beans? Only Garbanzos are left!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
5:23 PM

Post #1044534

Stacey, make hummus out of those garbanzos!!! (But you both have to eat it or the garlic will offend you, LOL.)

Besides, hummus keeps even without refrigeration for a couple of days... get some pita bread to dip in it.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2004
5:27 PM

Post #1044540

Hey ya'll, just came in from working in the yard...I guess all is going well, will see where this monster ends up...if it is big and here, I will be at darius's house!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2004
5:36 PM

Post #1044565

Hope you mean that weeds.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
5:41 PM

Post #1044572

Weeds, you and Miss Virginia are welcome here. I just hope we don't have the rains like Frances gave us!

I've posted some local pictures here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/456148/

By the way... all y'all in the Ohio Valley, listen up!! One of the models from Ivan suggests Ivan could stall once in the Ohio Valley, bringing even more rain and flooding than what I show in the link just above.
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

September 11, 2004
6:54 PM

Post #1044664

Finally!!! Got gas for the brand new generator!! Been off and on all day looking. I went out before 6am and got gas for my car. When I got back, hubby and I hopped in the truck and went back up to the gas station to get gas for his truck and the generator. The line was humungous!! We went out to Home Depot to see about getting plywood to board up the windows (yeah, I know...procrastination and all that) but that line was a 3 - 4 hour wait. We'll go back tomorrow around 5 am. We will still have to wait, but at least we won't have to wait in 90 degree heat and full sun. Hubby finally went out again a few minutes ago and the lines at the pumps had gotten much shorter and he was able to gas up his truck and fill the tank for the generator.

Ivan seems to have taken a slight turn west. Hope he keeps going that way, no offense to those up in the panhandle or further west, but I think I have had just about enough of hurricanes! My sister in Fort Pierce has finally found an apartment and has electricity and phones. Last I checked, she still did not have power at the Legion but other Legions around the area with power were bringing them ice. Other Legions around the state who were not hit as hard as them have been sending truck loads of supplies so they have opened their doors to any and all that need food, water and other sundry goods.

Hope everyone else in Florida weathers this one. I'm going to keep on believing that story about the American Indians who put a spell on the Tampa Bay area to keep horrible hurricanes from ever devastating the area!!

Sally

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2004
7:25 PM

Post #1044690

Sally, I really MUST put in a good word for the American Legion Halls here. So many people have seen them as simply a place to drink cheaper. Your sister's experience contradicts that.

The American Legion has a sub-group called "The 40 and 8" which comes from WW1 in France when boxcars could carry 40 men or 8 horses. The 40 & 8 has a dual purpose: have fun, and raise money.

They fund many, many nursing scholarships all year long, and also hold basketball camps for underpriveledged kids and handicapped kids. My oldest brother has been active in the 40 & 8 for many years, since he was in Vietnam, and my dad and step-mother were also active when they were able.

My brother is now what might be called "Chairman or President" of all the Florida Chapters (but his position has a French name) and I know they are very active right now in help for the homeless and hungry from Frances and Charley.
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

September 11, 2004
10:19 PM

Post #1044879

darius, you are so right! My sister and her husband helped found Post 358 in Fort Pierce. They actually helped build the bar and lay the fancy tiles on the floors. They have always been active in Legion activities. When Charley devastated South Florida, they helped put together a truck load of supplies and sent it off to the Arcadia Legion. Now, Arcadia is reciprocating and sending them supplies. When the Port St. Lucie Legion lost it's roof in Francis, they sent a case of tarps down to them to give them some shelter. St. Lucie, in return, continues to bring ice to the Ft. Pierce Legion which still had no power as of Thursday. The American Legions are wonderful groups. They help the elderly, the young, the disabled and anyone else that needs help. Yes, the Legion is a great place to go and have a drink...a drink with a wonderful group of caring people who are always willing to lend a helping hand. My hat is off to all the Legions around the country. And all the AmVets, Moose Lodges, etc. that are always on the front lines of helping others. God Bless you all!!!

And sis, if you see this, I love you. Take some time for yourself. You surely do deserve it!!!

Sally

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2004
12:01 AM

Post #1044973

Nice post, Sally. Makes me remember there are still LOTS of decent people out there!

I'm sorry to say, however, that the latest reports of Ivan (the Terrible, probably for sure) say winds back up to 165 MPH, almost 8 PM Saturday, Sept. 11, 2004.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 12, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #1045020

weeds please come for a visit...I'll turn the heat on for you! ;)

This message was edited Sep 11, 2004 6:42 PM
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #1045027

stay on your toes peps !!! keep strong !!! peps like us are here for ya !!!

I know our Local Teamsters (Auto) Union sent down trucks of ice and stuff,, I hope they come back and get more for you !!!

The Red Cross and Salvation Army left out the day after to come help, and the power companies sent man power and trucks !! hope this helps some,, as if and when Ivan hits , I hope the people continue to help out !!

Darius thats scary winds !!

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
12:39 AM

Post #1045028

Are you listening weeds? My DW has a friend living in Newport Richey and she is flying out to Chicago.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
1:18 AM

Post #1045070

I dont blame her I would to !!

the left edge of it as the project path might hit me in SE MI unless it turns again,,,

I think if I lived there it would be tough to leave for good as its your home,,,

I know it would scare me !! I dont like any kind of storm..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2004
1:31 AM

Post #1045082

From the 8pm Advisory:
[quote]AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT MEASURED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 912 MB...26.93 INCHES. THIS IS THE SIXTH LOWEST CENTRAL PRESSURE ON RECORD FOR A HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN. [/quote]

In case you don't know what that means, lower pressures = more devastation.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 12, 2004
1:31 AM

Post #1045083

Ya know what? Sitting on this rock in the middle of the Pacific with 2 VERY active volcanos is sissy stuff compared to what you guys are going thru... And, I don't think I want to trade. Good luck to all of you in harms way.

Don't forget to have extra meds with you...and lots of water!

Aloha
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
1:42 AM

Post #1045095

the lessor of two evils,, no thanks to either for me !!

but I worry about u all !!!

I work so I can check this from work this week,, stay safe all.. I wil be here tomorrow for ya,,,

cac

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2004
1:45 AM

Post #1045098

I think peeps in LA need to be getting prepared as Ivan seems to be ever so slowly taking a slightly westward track... which DOES NOT leave out the FL Panhandle.

It's still anybody's guess, but too dangerous to ignore.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
1:49 AM

Post #1045105

I have the weather channel on now,, and they are going over who is going to be impacted ,,, ,, the cayman island now well at least 150 miles out.. and they are telling them to take cover and be prepaired !!

all I know is if its coming your way ,, be prepaired,,,be safe

This message was edited Sep 11, 2004 9:56 PM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
2:35 AM

Post #1045167

When I look at LSP's link above and where Ivan has been and knowing that BIG hurricanes move by their own momentum. I don't understand how they can be so dang sure he is going to go north soon and smack Cuba after the Caymens. They say that New Orleans has only a 5% chance of being in the path!! Or, am I just way2...?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2004
2:46 AM

Post #1045182

NOAA's last few loops show it headed due west to my unsci-eye yet they say northwest in their print - am I not taking the earth curve into account?

Does anybody else think there were a bunch of folks in Jamaica asking for intervention just before Ivan took that jog away from direct hit? when they show the red trail of where it's been that jog lqqks really weird compared to the rest of its track.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 12, 2004
2:52 AM

Post #1045188

I read in one of the forums, that old_rose linked to, that the Jamaican mountains may also have had an effect.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
2:55 AM

Post #1045190

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/stormtrack_large.html

here is the track so far link above

here is the path,,

they say moveing west a little

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/index_large.html

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
3:03 AM

Post #1045202

Jamaica had lotsa rain and flooding but, the eye itself stayed to the south of the island.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
3:39 AM

Post #1045240

There is some kinda low pressure draft going west to east and if it is sucked in by that as predicted it will head back north toward fl panhandle. keeping my eye on this one!
kikisdad
Spring Hill, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2004
3:49 AM

Post #1045251

This track reminds me of one in the late 80's I think it was, can't remember the name but that storm stalled in the Gulf for 2 days then went into Biloxi, Mississippi and raised Cain there.
We were in the Tampa area for Charley and the local weather guys were insisting that the track would be into Tampa Bay right up to the last minute when it turned eastward and came into Charlotte Harbor as everyone knows NOW. I don't think one guess is any better than another...
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2004
4:12 AM

Post #1045278

I'm so glad we only have tornadoes to deal with. At least the devastation path isn't usually more than 1/4 to 1/2 a mile wide. 1 mile wide is usually tops, very seldom is it wider than that. But then, we don't have the amount of warning you folks get. Y'all stay safe and EVACUATE if Ivan the Terrible comes your way at the speed it's going right now.
Roz
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
4:26 AM

Post #1045297

This looks like the big one so far, but lots can happen to weaken it before it hits land, and I sure am hoping. I am about 15 miles off the water of the Gulf Coast, so I sure am watching. Florida has just about had it this year, and I sure don't want to see a cat. 5, with a 25-30 foot surge go to New Oleans area, since they are below sea level and that would probably destroy them. I am in Gulfport, just west of Biloxi, Mississippi, so we all just need to watch and wait, and be prepared soon as possible.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2004
11:32 AM

Post #1045477

I almost had a heart attack when I watched the 10:00 p.m. news Saturday night. In the few hours that I was away, the track had shifted quite a bit more westward.

The local meteorologists are still saying that there is only a 'slim' chance of a hit on New Orleans (but they are beginning to sound cautious and very worried). I am not too optimistic at this point, after seeing the ridge of High pressure that looks as if it is going to push that puppy into the Gulf of Mexico -- and THEN turn it northward.

Darius, you were right. It is like watching a slow-moving train wreck. And I hope that I'm not smack dab in the middle of the tracks!

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
11:44 AM

Post #1045483

Good morning everyone and it is so calm and nice here all I can think about is what it is was like long ago without all these wonderful ways to warn us of these formidable storms. The path at this moment puts the eye directly hitting Panama City, well that would be me! What if we didn't know this thing was on the way? OF course it will meander about in the gulf for days before the strongest air current decides it path but we will start to make plans to get the heck out of dodge in the next day or so. I hope all in it's path do the same. I am just thankful for CNN, the Weather Channel and DG!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2004
11:48 AM

Post #1045485

I'm gettin a little concerned at this end of the swamp.

LSP, I might meet up with you on the interstate..lol, kitties and critters in tow. If you see someone that looks like Ellie Mae Clampett, it is me.
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2004
12:11 PM

Post #1045496

Weeds, right now it looks like it is coming to you!!! Good for me (that puts me on the west side of the storm), bad for you. Definately worth watching,though. This one has done some interesting wobbles which have really changed the projected path. So, if it comes to you, then you are going to evacuate? I am staying unless it is a cat 4. Then I am booking it.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
12:19 PM

Post #1045499

4 and 5 I leave...too many big trees in the hood! I am close to the bay and opal's storm surge made it across the street from me so I am prolly not staying unless it degrades or goes somewhere else.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
12:40 PM

Post #1045587

Happy Sunday !!

If I was anywhere near this one, I would leave,, but there is so many ways it might go.. board up the house, pack the critters and valubles..and I would be gone,,,

besafe and keep an eye on this one,,, better to be prepaired then have it turn and hit ya full force and be in danger,,

I think about stuff like that,, what to take if I had to leave,,,wow I would need a truck !!

cheryle
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2004
1:11 PM

Post #1045621

78 days, 17:8:8 seconds left to hurricane season, but hey, who's counting...
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
1:24 PM

Post #1045636

start the count down now !!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
3:56 PM

Post #1045832

It still has NOT made a turn north. TWC as shifted the projected path slightly to the west but, still say land fall wil be the Florida pan handle.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
4:58 PM

Post #1045908

Now TWC says maybe the Yucatan Penn. Go figure!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
5:06 PM

Post #1045917

That's the way these things are. More watching and waiting before deciding what to do.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #1046138

Lisa, do you have an evacuation plan in place?

"Run from the water, hide from the wind."

Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
7:58 PM

Post #1046157

Bill and I are waiting and watching as well. No plans to evacuate. Hopefully our propane tank will stay put...I have a gas stove so at least we could still cook and the generator can keep the fridge and freezer going. Our neighbor has his generator rigged so he can run his well pump..we can get water from him if need be,but we'll have a good amount on hand. Gotta figure out plants...the brugs were NOT happy in the shed during Frances so they will come inside. I'm sure the dogs will be glued to me..poor babies don't like storms!

Stacey...back when we lived on St. George Island a HUGE water spout crossed the bay. When it hit the mainland it kept on going as a tornado. 3 people from 1 family were killed. I was at work at the time..when I looked out the back door I saw 4 or 5 small funnel clouds overhead. Made my skin crawl! Fortunately none of them touched down.

Good luck everyone in Ivan's possible path. God bless us all and stay safe. (((HUGS)))
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
8:02 PM

Post #1046165

Ivan is still tracking WEST. Cuba is hardly mentioned now
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
9:08 PM

Post #1046257

watch out in the panhandle,,

here is the latest

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm9/index_large.html
tampasal
Zephyrhills, FL

September 12, 2004
9:14 PM

Post #1046264

Sis over in Fort Pierce just called, said there was a room for me at the Legion. :) I have been closely monitoring this one and unless it takes a humungous turn to the north and east very soon, we have lucked out once again. If the current path runs true, I am going to call our friend, Jerry, who is 1/4 native american, and kiss him!! There is an old tale that goes around Tampa Bay stating that many, many years ago, there was a horrible storm that devastated the Tampa Bay area. The native americans put a spell on the area after that to prevent another such devastating storm. God Bless the native american shamans!!! :)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2004
9:17 PM

Post #1046270

This is from intellicast.com. Same track, different look.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalWide.asp?loc=usa&seg=StormCenter&prodgrp=TrackingCharts&product=HurTrack2&prodnav=none&pid=none
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 12, 2004
10:46 PM

Post #1046371

I still think it will go and visit Weeds. Watch out girl!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2004
10:58 PM

Post #1046386

LSP, where ARE you? The consistent drop in millibars has me worried more than the track does.
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
11:35 PM

Post #1046416

they are doing an update now,,

they said they some people are not taking it seriouly yet,,, what !! is that crazzzy ,,, I hope they get ready in the panhandle and stuff !!

they said once it makes the trun that it will pick up speed again,,
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
11:44 PM

Post #1046426

Just to keep ya'll calm, we are all going to work tomorrow, schools are open etc. It will be a few days yet and the warnings will come soon. We will heed them then.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 12, 2004
11:46 PM

Post #1046430

Thanks for posting that, weeds... keeps some of us from some daily worry!
cacolos
Auburn Hills, MI
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2004
11:51 PM

Post #1046438

thanks weeds !! make us feel better for you all,, here is the link for the national weather service,,

keep us posted!!

http://www.noaa.gov/

just look up Ivan,, I use this site for my home info so you might have to change to your area..

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm9+shtml/122058.shtml?

just search for hurrican ivan,,

just more info for everyone..

This message was edited Sep 12, 2004 7:56 PM
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 12, 2004
11:52 PM

Post #1046439

No problem Darius, we will let you know when to REALLY worry.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2004
12:46 AM

Post #1046498

I can hardly believe the continued intensity of this storm. It started out mean and has stayed a mean one throughout.

Darius, I am also concerned about the pressure drop. It is awesome. If this storm doesn't blow my eyebrows off, it will certainly do bad things to my sinuses. LOL.

It sure is interesting to compare the various projected paths. The Weather Channel (a joke in my estimation) and Intellicast are NOT the same as the National Weather Service or the National Hurricane Center. They are commercial companies with their own independent meteorologists and, sometimes, their forecasts differ from the NHC's.

But even the NHC's forecast track is east of most of the computer models (and has been throughout). This worries me greatly because I think that many people who rely solely on television coverage may be caught unawares. I am also worried that there will be a big scramble to get out of the New Orleans area and that there won't be time enough to do so.

This area is in a unique position because it is ten feet BELOW sea level (except for Lisa, who has a one-foot 'mountain' on her property - LOL).

Much (but not all) of the New Orleans area is surrounded by a ring of levees. A direct hit from a slow-moving Category 3 storm, or any Categoy 4 or 5 storm would breech the levees, push water in from the Gulf, and also, the counter-clockwise wind would sweep the water out of VERY large Lake Pontchartrain into the levee-bowl, totally inundating the area. And then the very levees that are designed to protect us would hold that water in the "bowl" for a very long time. Even a very close call could be devastating.

I do not look forward to this possibility.

I guess we'll know where Ivan is heading when you next see Geraldo. At last report, he looked rather disappointed that Ivan was not going to smack the Keys, where he is currently stationed. He will be heading for where the action is :D

Darius, I updated the "Ivan" page to show more (and perhaps more reliable) data:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/Minnyminew/weather_hurricanes_2004_ivan.htm

Ivan is still giving me the heebie-jeebies!

He's a mean one, but he sure is pretty.

Thumbnail by LouisianaSweetPea

weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
12:53 AM

Post #1046509

Looks like whipped cream or or those egg white sweets at Christmas?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
1:03 AM

Post #1046522

LSP, your updated page is more comprehensive. Thanks. The projected paths by the various computer models are quite interesting! Be curious to see which computer is closest in the long run.

I don't know why more folks aren't looking at the pressure drop. Are we the only weird ones? (Or, attentive ones who have an idea what that really means?)

I've driven across Pontchartrain so I have an idea of the scanario you suggest if Ivan hits there... counter-clockwise winds drawing water off the lake... Bad scene.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
1:15 AM

Post #1046541

Land fall near New Orleans would be a worst case scenario. That could be why they don't even bring it up. Fear of "crying wolf" syndrome?

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2004
1:17 AM

Post #1046543

LSP I meant to say before how often I've looked at your page. DH had been busy searching out different sites but I've always found yours to be the best (and easiest to sneak peeks at when I'm @ work).

I really hope it drops a number of categories before it makes landfall.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2004 9:12 PM
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2004
3:13 AM

Post #1046683

Thanks for all your effort, LSP, to provide us with the best weather site available anywhere!!!!

Ya'll be safe over there, y'hear!

Seriously, I remember the last time New Orleans took a hit, and it sure wasn't pretty! But like the rest of us, it too came back as beautiful as ever!

Any loss of life is always one to many. But think of how many people survive major natural disasters. I'm not at all making light of the danger involved.

But I believe if we trust in God to keep us safe according to His Will, then whatever happens should happen. He will lead us to safer havens or lead us to stay put. All we have to do is listen to His guidance. (Sorry if I stepped out of bounds on this weather forum.)

Thanks again, LSP!!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2004
3:18 AM

Post #1046690

p.s. LSP could you please edit your post at the top of the page and update the link there. It's so handy at that position esp. when I am @ work. ;)

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2004
4:11 AM

Post #1046740

Just saw this picture...what's brewing out in the Atlantic looks so ugly this year.

Thumbnail by Lilypon

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
11:21 AM

Post #1046944

well, us Louisiana residents woke up to a reality check. They are telling us to prepare as if it will make landfall here. I don't ever recall the forecasters being so cautious.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
11:31 AM

Post #1046950

Lisa,
same with us mississippi residents.
This is driving me nuts not knowing where or when. All we can do is just watch and wait.
Jen
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
11:37 AM

Post #1046953

me too Jen, God help us all.
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
11:42 AM

Post #1046954

YIKES, Tommy Richards just said that they fear its going to threaten the northern gulf of mexico. Then he proceeded to use his finger to demonstrate the strike area between the la/ms line to the ms/al line...durn, we're right smack dab in the middle of it. ..
Thats it, calling our friends in Missouri.
Jen
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2004
12:02 PM

Post #1046974

Lilypon, I corrected the link in my first post so that you will be taken directly to the latest information on Ivan. Thanks to all for your well wishes.

I am hoping that the hurricane will downgrade itself before reaching land. Unfortunately, it appears as if Ivan will miss hitting the tip of Cuba (no insult intended to the folks there, but that makes it worse for us). That means that Ivan will most probably pass through the Yucatan channel into the warm and toasty UNTAPPED water of the Gulf of Mexico.

The weak Low to our west may not be strong enough to erode the ridge of High pressure over the eastern U.S., and the steering currents are very poor at present, which is making the local meteorologists think that Ivan will be guided more into the Central Gulf, and then north. Sheesh! I only have one nerve left, and Ivan is getting on it!

(Note: Nowhere on my posts do I ever mean to be 'flip' about hurricanes. It's just that my innate and very strong sense of humor -- even 'graveyard humor,' always carries me through any crisis, and helps me keep a balanced approach and perspective).

Darius, you drove over the Causeway? (a 24-mile-long bridge over the middle of Lake Pontchartrain, for those who aren't familiar with it). And didn't stop to see me? LOL. It probably was a while back, but if you come to my neck of the woods again, you'd better stop here!

Judith, thanks for the compliments. Working on that page helps me to keep an eye on the information and graphics I want to see, and it also keeps me occupied so that I don't sit here and brood incessantly over what COULD happen.

I'mWay, I haven't seen this amount of cautious reporting in a while. I think all of the agencies are in a 'cover-your-butt' mode, and they also really cannot, at this time, make any valid predictions. The information is still just so 'iffy.'

Sorry to bore you with this too-long post, but this ALSO keeps me from going stir-crazy! LOL.

Jean

Roz
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
1:16 PM

Post #1047039

Jean, I am in Gulfport, right next to you. I am more afraid for you if Ivan comes to you. You all will not have a chance. Not meaning to sound so doom and gloom, but my sister is in Reserve in Louisiana too and believe me, I would prefer the doggoned storm to come here than to y'all. The evacuation routes will be bumper to bumper, since we have the casinos that will be moving into the bayous and back bay here, blocking some of the north-south roads because the bridges will be open to let the casinos through the waterway. Don't wait too long to get out. That web site you have is great. I like the prayer at the end of it, much needed now.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2004
1:25 PM

Post #1047050

Thanks Roz. I will be leaving either later this evening or tomorrow morning. It would be more convenient to leave Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, but I'm afraid that by that time, evacuation traffic will have grid-locked the highways and Interstates.

Is you sister planning to leave also? She is just below and to the Left of Lake Pontchartrain.

Don't let your guard down in Gulfport either! Be VERY careful. What are your plans?
Roz
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
1:53 PM

Post #1047083

Not sure about our plans right now. Probably will stay here, since we are just north of 1 10, and not right on the water. We were here for Camille and many others since I have lived here all of my life, and the worse seems to be the storm surge and tornadoes. I am away from the storm surge, and who can tell about tornadoes. Your web site is great; I just saw the stuff for kids. This is really going to pass some time until we lose power; we will have a house full of grandkids. It is never too early for kids to learn all about weather, especially if they are going to stay in this area. Do not wait too long to leave; you will find bumper to bumper traffic. Where will you go, north? You could probably jump on 49 just outside of Slidell that should take you around all the coast 49 traffic. I am sure you know this area very well and have given this a lot of thought. God be with all of you in New Orleans and sourthern Louisiana.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
2:00 PM

Post #1047095

Jean, glad to hear you are leaving sooner rather than later. Make sure that wherever you go that there is enough high ground to accommadate thousands of potential refugees and that you have secured a place to stay awhile. Good luck to you & ya'll!
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
2:19 PM

Post #1047128

LSP, is that bridge referred to as the foot long?
I think its time to start making plans here..i could swear when i was on the radiation table i heard that it was heading directly towards the la/ms line...
new updates are coming up.
jen
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
2:33 PM

Post #1047152

Does anybody know where Jim Cantori from the weather channel is? I've noticed that he is ALWAYS where the brunt of it is going.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2004
2:34 PM

Post #1047155

Y'all are in my thoughts and prayers!

LSP if all I was expressing was graveyard humor with that thing bearing down on me I would think I was handling the situation extremely well.

Thank you so much for updating the top link.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
2:36 PM

Post #1047246

Jean, if I had known you all those years ago when I was last in N.O. I would certainly have stopped, LOL. It's an impressive ride across that bridge because it seems to go on forever. Longest bridge I'd been over before that one was Seven Mile Bridge in the FL Keys, long before it was widened.

Looks like your worst fears could be realized with Ivan's current track and I'm glad to see you are leaving early! Do you have a destination? Taking your computer, I assume? Do I remember you have a travel trailer packed and ready to go, or was that someone else?

Lisa, you have that truck and trailer packed like the Clampetts yet? Who else is in that area besides LSP, MsJen, Roz and you?
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2004
2:48 PM

Post #1047258

I sure feel for all of you that might be in the path of this storm. The waiting and watching can be agonizing. Glad to hear some of you are getting ready to take off...you should head to western Kentucky and the roundup...Hey that could be the silver lining!

Lisa I think the meteorologist and news people are being more cautious because of the mess in Florida when Charley slammed into Punta Gorda instead of Tampa Bay. I've noticed that the whole tone of the forecasts have changed since then. Have you noticed how some newscasters seem to try to scare the public while some try to reassure? There is a female meteorologist on Bay News 9 that seems to try to scare people even after things have changed. I change the channel during her shift

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
3:10 PM

Post #1047283

Floridian, sometimes I think it's better for people to be a little scared rather than complacent. Too many people get stuck in complacency and don't take enough precautions in potentially dangerous situations like this where the track can change on a dime, as Charley proved.

I'm glad to see folks from the panhandle all the way to Louisiana taking safe measures, but I wouldn't bet my dime that the forecasters are correct... yet.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
3:21 PM

Post #1047298

The problem with dire/scary predictions is that they may lead to complacency if they don't pan out. A tough call to make. Too bad more people aren't as prudent as Jean.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2004
3:26 PM

Post #1047307

I do too Darius but this woman goes above and beyond even when we KNOW circumstances have changed. Maybe it's a time delay of some sort but after watching her for several days I think she goes to far.

Even here with the hurricane moving off the headlines we are glued to the forecasts. Hurricanes are just to unpredictable!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
3:26 PM

Post #1047310

Hope you do have computer access wherever you end up, Jean.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 13, 2004
3:31 PM

Post #1047317

Here's another good link for track and satellite and it refreshes automatically each hour
http://baynews9.com/WeatherMaps.html?HURRICANE Scroll down below the picture to Tropical update: Hurrican co-ordinates animated and/or Gulf and Caribbean satellite animated.
Carol7
Surry, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
3:43 PM

Post #1047329

My local news in southeastern Virginia is saying that landfall is still expected in the western panhandle of Florida, but they have also added that it could extend as far west as the Louisiana/Mississippi state line. They are also saying that since Ivan is moving westward and not hitting Cuba in the direction as previously expected there is a fair possibility that Ivan may drop from a Cat 5 to a Cat 4 or 3 once it gets into the Gulf. Still not a pretty picture.

They also added that no one can determine Ivan's path with any certainty at this time until it passes Cuba, so all of you in the possible track of Ivan please get prepared just in case.

imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
3:48 PM

Post #1047335

If that line stays the same, its going to Texas. There ya go! I said it out loud!
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2004
4:39 PM

Post #1047405

Roz, I'm glad that you are North of I-10 and safe from storm surges.

Jen, the bridge in question is called the 'Causeway Bridge' and is a 24-mile-long span across the middle of Lake Pontchartrain.

ImWay, I would love to stay in my own home until Tuesday or Wednesday. But you are correct. By that time, the traffic will probably be horrible. Even though you are in Texas, I would still be on the alert. One never knows with these storms.

Darius, have you seen others from this area posting? (Sundry, Delphiniumdiva, MaryInLa, etc.)

Floridian, has your area shifted out of "The Cone of Uncertainty"? (That 'cone' business just kills me -- every time I hear them say that, I think of the old television series, "Get Smart" and their Cone of Silence).

I wish folks around here WOULD be more scared. I think the New Orleans area will be caught with its proverbial pants down if Ivan comes this way. If you really want to be horrified, read the book "Hurricane Audrey" by Nola Mae Ross. Read that, or go through a Category 3 hurricane (like Betsy), and you get smart enough to take the hint when a storm looks as if it will get anywhere near you.

As soon as DH gets home from work, we will pack up the van with the three cat carriers and our supplies and take-alongs AND my computer. Then, later tonight, we'll go through Metairie and take I-55 up to Hammond -- with three unhappy, yowling cats 'singing' in the back of the van (I have experience with this phenomena because they did the same thing when I evacuated for Georges -- they kept it up for FOUR hours and I was about to shoot them!).

The hotel has Internet access, so perhaps I'll be able to get back online -- or else my DH will have to put up with a woman going through Internet Withdrawal.

What's going on with the rest of you guys? What's going on in your area?

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2004
6:02 PM

Post #1047552

I have family and friends living in the Florida Panhandle, and I know all you guys in LA from here...and I crossed The Causeway a year and a half ago, before I knew you LSP...I will make my DH stop the next time...we stopped in Lafayette and met a woman I knew from the internet (DH hates to do that, tough!) I would love to actually meet you, Jean..and the kitties. I am glad to hear that you are prepared to leave tonight, unhappy cats...oh well, at least they will be safe, and you and DH, too.
Ellie Mae, come to Texas, if you need to...I am well inland, so it is safe here...
I have been watching Ivan as well...eventhough it won't impact me, being so far inland...there are times when I miss living near the ocean, but this is not one of them.
Everyone, be safe! I will be thinking of you all!
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
6:20 PM

Post #1047579

Wow, Walmart was like 300 pm on Christmas eve. Luckily enough, i got plenty of water, canned stuff, batteries...oil changed in the tahoe, gassed up. All thats really left now is filling the gas cans, getting the chain saw oiled and packing up odds and ends.
Down in this are we also have in DonnaB and JanetOS in ocean springs, ruby in long beach, honeybee and aunttea in saucier, ely (larry) is in loxley, ala, i'm sure theres someone im forgetting? brain dead, i think.
Talked to my horse boarder and all that we can do is turn them out and hope they use their senses to survive.
Thinking about either heading to missouri or to dallas, just want to see the next update to decide.
LSP, i think the causeway is what truckers refer to as the footlong. You get to it by 55? Like taking slidell to lake charles?
Jen
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2004
6:49 PM

Post #1047617

Just checking in to let ya'll know we are aware and watching . . . and to wish everyone well in this nightmare.

I have been thru too many of these things to either panic early or to sit complacent. But I don't live in New Orleans . . . if I did, I'd be looking to get out on general principles . . . same as the Florida Keys. You get out while you can, even if you aren't sure you need to, because by the time you are sure, you can't - that's not our situation. We still have plenty of time.

Anyway, all the predictions mean almost nothing until the storm gets into the gulf. Then it's a whole new ball game. I'll panic then LOL!

BTW, we are supposed to be going to the Florida panhandle next week for our yearly family vacation. DD is flying into Pensacola Monday . . . assuming there is still an airport . . . *sigh*

Hang in there, everyone!

Cheri'
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
10:00 PM

Post #1047819

just heard that tidal surges on the Yucatan Penn. are 20 ft.

as to quote memeber "weeds"...ro-roe!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2004
10:02 PM

Post #1047826

Lisa, just pack up your zoo and head up here...we'll find a place for everyone...two legged and four legged (chickens too) Stay safe.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
10:19 PM

Post #1047859

We spent the day tapeing windows..first the outsides have been washed in years. LOL Bill saw a thing on TV about branches touching the roof...GET RID OF THEM> I spent a good part of the day trying to hide the tears..so many trees cut in half cause they were too close to the house...Bill cut back the azaleas on the patio..oh boy now they're even all accross...whine I DON"T WANT them to be even..they are NOT a hedge. Oh well,he's a happy camper and I guess on the up side more light gets into the house now..what one can see through the duct tape! Fooey..shouldn't grumble..it we get a direct hit it may all be mute anyway.
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2004
10:25 PM

Post #1047873

Now here in Southwestern LA ( Lake Charles,LA) The motels are filling up with people from New Iberia, New Orleans and other town to get away from Ivan!

My sis, my Mom will be leaving New Iberia to go North if need to. My brother and other sister lives in Baton Rouge and Kenner, LA. I don't know where they will go..

We are staying home but keep our eyes on that Ivan... in case if it change the path. If it does, we will leave!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
10:30 PM

Post #1047883

Jean... are you around? This thread is getting very long and hard to load on a dial-up... do you want to start a new one? If you do, please put your link again in the start, okay?
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
11:24 PM

Post #1047969

darius,
Jean might be on her way out. I just heard on the news that many in her parish are leaving. She told me this a.m. that she wasn't going to "play around" and would likely leave. I have her cell phone number, if she hasn't posted by the next time I check in, I'll call her.

justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
11:30 PM

Post #1047976

oh, wanted to say also...

watch this thing when it gets into the Gulf..it will fill up the Gulf of Mexico!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
11:32 PM

Post #1047977

Thanks, Lisa. I just didn't want to "take over" her thread and start a continuation on my own. I have the hotel number where she's headed but have NO idea how long a drive that is from her home... plus I hate to bother someone for something so minor right now.

Are you packing up the goats and chickens yet?

MiniSchnuz, glad to see your folks are taking precautions in case the forecasters are right. You be safe, too!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2004
11:46 PM

Post #1047989

And Mini Schnuz, NO LIFTING. Jugs of water are heavy.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
11:50 PM

Post #1047993

Sound like ya'll got your acts together!
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2004
11:50 PM

Post #1047994

Just got home and am posting what is going on in Panama City...it seems the eye will go to the west of us but we might get some bad stuff being on the northeast quandrant...at least the hurricane people think so. For our county (Bay) all schools are closed for the rest of the week...well hello vacation time! (we will have to make most of it up-boohoo) Tyndall air force base is here and I always listen for the planes to leave...when they do I know the base is being evacuated...they are already gone and the base has a mandatory evacutation for all military peeps. That is always a warning to me. An evacuation has been issued for the coastal and low lying areas, that would not be me. More will be decided later. I am just sitting and watching as I know from experience how those storms can dance, bob and weave all over the gulf. My mother and I (the animals too) have a safe place to go here in town when and if it gets bad.
I am hoping all in it's path take heed and do what is necessary to be safe...whatever that may be.
All that plan to evacuate should do so soon...it is not fun to ride out a hurricane on the road in your car full of people, animals and stuff (envision Justmelisa lookin like the Beverly Hillbillies - her description not mine).
Take care and be wise.
Connie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2004
11:53 PM

Post #1048003

Good, Connie!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2004
12:01 AM

Post #1048015

Connie... smart thinking! Glad you are on your toes and staying aware.

I wouldn't bet a nickel on where Ivan will really go!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2004
12:06 AM

Post #1048022

Tho' your message isn't the best of news it sure is good to see you posting weeds! Spent down time at the library looking at books on hurricanes :( ...so glad to read many are bugging out or have a safe place to go. I sure hope y'all can keep posting!
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2004
12:43 AM

Post #1048096

Connie, You and Miss Virginia should come to Kentucky!! Oops wrong week! Come anyway LOL

This message was edited Sep 13, 2004 8:45 PM
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2004
12:50 AM

Post #1048108

LOL! We thought at one time about going to Tampa to my aunts...I was all for it but we decided to stay near...shucks, we coulda had some fun!
JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2004
3:01 AM

Post #1048321

Well, this is not looking good.
Our latest update put us under an official hurricane watch. The watch area is Morgan City, La, to Saint Marks (?) Fl...I somehow think we are right in the middle of that.
They expect it to maintin cat 5 status just before it hits and then downgrade to a cat 4...no matter, whoever gets it is going to be in a world of hurts.
Jen
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2004
4:02 AM

Post #1048411

Well, St. Marks has our name on it! Tally is directly north of there.
Course we are some miles inland. But how far inland from St. Marks could we be, considering the distance from there to the northern FL border? Oh well, bring it on! I think it would be worse on us to travel again than to ride it out inland.

Good luck, and may God bless all of you who are potential victims of this monster.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

September 14, 2004
4:10 AM

Post #1048421

Looks like it is now passing by the tip of Cuba ...NOAA advisories are very specific and detailed.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2004
4:37 AM

Post #1048448

Yup, he is in the gulf.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2004
4:40 AM

Post #1048450

Ginger_H...No plywood on those windows? Thank goodness you have such a sturdy home so you can stay here and ride it out. If Ivan does come in here, maybe I could get you to ride by and see if we still have a home here Gin? I'll try to give you a call from TN after the worst has passed..hoping we still have phones and power but they were saying possibly three weeks without power if we lose it??
Weeds...You aren't close to the bay? My oldest daughters inlaws are two blocks off and they are leaving wed morning...you sure you don't want to load Mom up and head north? lol...We are heading out before daylight tomorrow for TN. We've got a cabin reserved at the state park and are gonna have a mini vacation thanks to Ivan. I am looking forward to it 'cause I get to see Joci!!!!! Gosh, I sure miss that girl around here.
Y'all were talking about being stuck in traffic trying to evacuate...I can rememeber when Eloise (I think) came in here in '75 (?). We loaded..or rather overloaded the car and headed to Talladega Ala...It took hours to just get to the state line, the wipers stopped working and then the storm caught up to us and was ripping giant oak and pecan trees out of the ground all along the highway next to us, we stopped at a gas station for 'cover'.LOL It ripped the roof off and the gas pumps were coming outta the cement pallets. Talk about scared...omgosh was I scared. Then there were two more...I forgot the names now but I worked at the beach in one and took me about 5 hours to get home from there because I was stuck in the evacuating traffic. The last one I stayed for, I worked in a deli/convenience store and trees were falling on the building..uhg Am I scared? You betcha!
So, I choose to leave before it gets here and if he bobs on over to another area..I just got a mini vacation I wouldn't have had without it ;)
Saying a prayer for all in his path,
Jackie(crimsons mum)
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2004
4:43 AM

Post #1048454

This thread has been loading way too slowly for some, so I started "Part 2" here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/456627/

Roz
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2004
11:09 AM

Post #1048595

I just saw the one thing I have been dreading - New Orleans looks like it is in the target area. This is real bad for New Orleans cause it is so low; it will be flooded. Bad for us cause we will be on the east side of the storm, always the worst side. Hope everybody in the New Oleans area is making plans to leave. Water kills.
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2004
12:33 PM

Post #1048648

Jackie, you take care and enjoy your mini vacation. Give that girl of yours a big hug for me...we sure miss her!
Stacey
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2004
8:23 PM

Post #1049206

Hey Jackie...are your parents going to Tn. too? I'll be happy to run by ya'lls place if you need me to. Big hello to Joci.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2004
8:29 PM

Post #1049213

Have a great trip and tell joci hello from us too!
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2004
8:54 PM

Post #1049254

Ya'll all have me worried now! I'm about an hour north of Mobile,AL. My husband just came home from work and said they have cancelled school for tomorrow and Thursday. I'm headed outside right now to turn over trampolines, swingsets and move plants. Everybody take care.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2004
8:59 PM

Post #1049260

GSkinner, you better do more than just turn over that trampoline! Unless Ivan diminishes a LOT, you could get high winds even an hour north of Mobile.
GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2004
10:34 PM

Post #1049378

Darius, yes, I guess I'm just actually just realizing how much wind we can get up here. I used to live closer to the coast than this so I was thinking we would be ok up here. But actually, I just heard that all our coastal counties had a mandantory evacuation as of 4:00 and they told them to get as far north as Jackson, which is a little above us. All the schools and Universities are closed for tomorrow, thursday and friday.
Capai
New Iberia, LA

September 14, 2004
10:36 PM

Post #1049379

Just drove in from Lafayette where I work to New Iberia (approximately 30 miles) and the traffic going west is bumper to bumper for approximately 24 miles. Looks as if we are on the outer western edge and lucked out this time. My prayers are with all of you in the target zone. I stayed in New Iberia for Andrew and Lilly and was lucky. In Andrew we had over $15,000.00 in damages to our home and lost six (6) pecan tress in Lilly. So, take care everyone!!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2004
10:51 PM

Post #1049404

Would y'all PLEASE use the continuation thread? It took me three tries to get this one to open on my dial-up... it kept timing out because it is so long.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/456627/

GSkinner, they are already putting out a high wind and heavy rain advisory here for Thursday and Friday and we are hundreds of miles away!

Capai, please be Safe!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2004
1:00 AM

Post #1049560

Capai and GSkinner... Info for you on the new thread.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America