Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: wild rose in massachusetts

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2001
7:20 PM

Post #6494

hi,
here are my wild rose bush flowers. i have been noticing them lately in woodlands, by our home, that run along the roadsides. they bloom once, and grow everywhere. my dh, thinking they were a weedy vine, had cut them all back with the weed wacker last year. :-) they are back and doing great.
debi z

Thumbnail by debi_z
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2001
7:50 PM

Post #83224

Rosa multiflora
They will take over, my grandparents have one trained up over their door that they cut back twice a year, but on the other hand, birds love them and they smell lovely. They are considered a weed plant here in New Engand because of their aggressive habits.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2001
9:58 PM

Post #83258

This is another introduced species that has literally run wild. It is actually banned from being planted in some states. Its everywhere where I live. I yank it out whenever I see it overwise it will take over my small yard in no time. Too me its just a weed although I'm sure others will disagree.
talon5

June 15, 2001
4:00 PM

Post #83514

My Dad borrowed a friend's Billy goat, to eat them back, when I was a kid! He loved them!

This message was edited Friday, Jun 15th 12:01 PM
ele
Milford, NH

June 18, 2001
3:07 AM

Post #84195

DOn't be tempted to leave it. It is the multiflora and is considered an invasive plant, and one of the most noxious and agressive plants in the northeast.
debi_z
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2001
11:53 AM

Post #84557

thanks everyone but i have another vine, unidentified, that grows into trees that is far more aggresive and actually must keep this one under control LOL i've cut down these trees/vines whatever and they start to grow right back from the little stump. ARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHH WEED KILLER here I come...LOL then of course on top of that I have the maple trees that rain down there helicopter seeds and try to overpower that garden bed and the rest in my yard too. guys, this wild rose is nothing compared to the rest. :-) but thanks for the info. :-) debi z

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America