Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Cutting back geraniums

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 5, Views: 232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mickyb
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2004
2:19 PM

Post #1062636

I have a HUGE Martha Washington geranium (4.5' diameter, 3' tall) which I have over-wintered 3 years (we're in zone 5). She is in full flower right now, but must be moved inside soon. I've attached a photo. Once inside, it blooms most of the year, but not as much since it gets less sun. BUT it's so big now that it's a struggle to move it. Also, this last summe,r the center was a little bare with most of the action happening further down on the stems. I'd like to cut it back a LOT but don't want to kill it. How much can I remove at one time and still expect it to live? I know from years of deadheading and trimming it, etc. that new leaves and stems are generated when older foliage is removed so I'm hoping that if I cut off major portions of the existing stems, I'll essentially get a "new" plant. Last winter I saw a group of geraniums at a hospital that had been brought in from the patio and absolutely every stem had been cut back to just a couple of inches and at that time they were regrowing leaves, but I haven't seen them since so I don't know if such an extreme trim worked out long-term. Does anyone have a suggestion - or prediction?

Thumbnail by mickyb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2004
4:50 AM

Post #1128224

Sterilize sharp knife. Prune like a natural bush. remove crossing canes and cut right above leaf nodes. I believe you can let cuttings dry or harden off until they calous, then root for new plants. I'm not a pro, maybe one will come along.Sidney

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 18, 2006
12:49 AM

Post #2517359

I dip my cuttings of regular geraniums in a little rooting hormone powder and then stick them in soil. I go for the woodier stems and they root readily this way. Only the teensiest minis with extra small stems have trouble with this. If I didn't propagate my fave ones each summer, I would lose some as my indoor space is limited and I don't have room for more than a few full sized ones. I have a 'Vancouver Centennial' that is nine years old and I keep pruned back. The cuttings have provided interesting plants for our Garden Club's plant sale over the years.
Martha
beaker_ch
Columbia Heights, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 18, 2006
3:01 AM

Post #2517827

What is this about letting the cutting calous before rooting? Is there a difference between rooting a zonal as opposed to a regal?
steph_gem
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #2558661

hmm i always just cut mine and stick them into soil with lots of perilite seems to always work so far.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2006
7:06 AM

Post #2660713

All my cuttings but one took and that failed because I think it fell out of the potting soil and dried up. I have about two dozen plants of about 6-7 varieties. A few even have flowers. I will try to take a picture tomorrow if the sun comes out.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America