Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Easy and inexpensive pond...

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 85, Views: 2,801
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2004
6:17 PM

Post #1066800

Three years ago, my honeydew list included a pond for water plants and goldfish. So one weekend when landscape timbers went on sale (1.88) and armed with a skilsaw, I fashioned an above ground pool. If anyone would like me to post plans and pictures, I'd be happy to...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2004
6:36 PM

Post #1066821

I would love to see how you did your pond. I have to redo my small not to deep pond so I can keep my fish in it all year and have looked at pictures for ever but still need some help..

Thanks
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2004
10:27 PM

Post #1067047

That is the weirdest looking fish I have ever seen! LOL I love boxers and bulldogs and well anything with fur! ;)

I always say where there is a will there is a way. And the cheaper the better. My first pond had a swimming pool liner. I prefer the way it looked to my real pond, just because the blue liner made it look so nice and clean and inviting.
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:06 AM

Post #1067123

The furry fish is 'Cowboy', an English bulldog. When he was young, he lost his balance while drinking and scared himself silly! He never did it again...
Judy bought some 'bait' goldfish -- a dozen for $4. They've been hanging out in the pool for about 2 years and have grown from an inch to almost 8 inches. The pool is about a foot deep made from 15 landscape timbers, some 5 mil black plastic left over from covering my watermelon patch (two sheets 20 x 20), 2 bags of play sand (Judy's potting sand), 25 feet of nylon rope and 6 reinforcement bars (12"). I used an electric saw and a drill with a bit that was larger than the r-bar.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:15 AM

Post #1067138

First step is to saw all of the timbers in two at a 60 degree angle. The pool has six sides and if I remember correctly, a circle has 360 degrees so that's why I used 60. So now you have 30 4 foot timbers.

Second step is to drill a hole for the re-bar 8 inches from the square end of each landscape timber. Drill completely through on 18 of the timbers and half way through on the other 12. These 12 are for the bottom layer and the top layer so make sure 6 are drilled with the cut angle one way and 6 are drilled with the cut angle the other way.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2004 7:32 PM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:29 AM

Post #1067151

Step three: Then level a 8 foot circle with a shovel and some bags of sand.

Step four: Pick out 6 timbers with holes drilled half way through for the bottom layer and form the first row with those holes on the top side.

Step five: Stick a reinforcement rod into each hole and build another layer with the cut end going in the reverse order like a log cabin. Build the next two layers.

Step six: Spread the plastic sheets and press out as much air space as possible.

Step seven: Fill with water almost to the top to make sure there won't be any pulling on the sides after fastening the plastic to the logs.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:37 AM

Post #1067159

Staple or nail a nylon rope around the middle of the next to top row of logs. Using the rope helps to eliminate tearing the plastic from the staples. Then trim the plastic to size leaving 2 or 3 inches beyond the stapled rope and fold the plastic back over the rope and staple it again.

Last step: Add the top layer of timbers.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

Equilibrium

September 27, 2004
12:41 AM

Post #1067165

You did a mighty fine job! Beats the heck out of my preforms!
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:42 AM

Post #1067169

There were some extra timbers left over so they ended up as a shelf for some potted plants and an old hand pump. There's a pump with a fountain that's used for aeration and cleaning.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:49 AM

Post #1067178

One refinement that was made a couple of months after the initial construction was to chisel out a low place in the second row of logs so that any overflow would run off at the back. I made it big enough to thread the pump's cord through. Then I replaced the plastic and the top row and the 'shelf' and all Judy's potted plants.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2004 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2004
12:55 AM

Post #1067187

Last winter, the pump and fountain ran even during freezing weather. All of the water plants were moved inside but the fish wintered in the pool. Didn't lose any.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2004 8:08 AM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2004
1:59 PM

Post #1067748

Your did a great job of that pond of yours BigDaddy99, thanks for sharing. But I particularly enjoyed reading your stories about the adorable Peanut Butter Cookie and all of his adventures. What a great idea. I emailed the link to my grandson as I know he'll love them.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl

SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2004
1:53 AM

Post #1068893

Thanks for the information, it looks good how deep is it..I brought my 5 fish inside now since I know mine is not deep enough to keep them in it..Now is the time to redo and make it bigger..

BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2004
5:16 PM

Post #1069803

The top of the water is about a foot above the bottom of the pond. It holds over 300 gallons of water not counting the displacement from 4 cinder blocks that hold some of the aquatic plants. Judy put some lovely flowering plants with lavender blooms (I wish I could tell you the name???) which are propagating all over the place... I had to move the extra ones to two kiddy pools so the fish could have some open water...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 28, 2004
5:31 PM

Post #1069829

Your plants are water hyacinth. They get kind of crazy, but I like them. I feed the extras to my dogs, which sounds nuts but the dogs love them.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2004
8:38 PM

Post #1070185

Thats an idea never thought of that sylv74 wonder if mine would like them... I just wished mine bloomed this year but I must have done something wrong with them..Yours looks good what did you do to get them to bloom...
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2004
11:48 PM

Post #1070445

The water hyacinth (thank you, Sylvi) in the pond kept growing and propagating because of the sun, temperature, and fish fertilizer... but, they didn't bloom. The fish took a vote and sent a note saying that they would like me to thin them out so I moved over half of them to two kiddy pools full of clean water in the shade and after three weeks, they started blooming. I moved a few back to the fish pond to show the others what they were supposed to do but I'm still waiting for them to catch on... (Fact of the matter is, I don't know why they bloomed...) Bob

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2004
2:01 AM

Post #1070655

Thanks for the advice I thought my fish might be eating them. Maybe next year I will have better luck.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 29, 2004
12:38 PM

Post #1071118

My fish chew the roots off the hyacinth, so I have some in one pool for the fish and some in another where they can't reach. Then I replace the battered ones in the fish pool with fresh ones. They grow like crazy so it works great.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2004
8:25 PM

Post #1071866

I thought I needed another water source but never got around to this year but will next year and see if that will work better on them.. I just brought my fish in a week ago and brought some of the
underwater plants I had in there and they have totally stripped the leaves now so I guess I need to get a few more of them and add to the aquarium..
RikerBear
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2004
11:26 PM

Post #1072121

My water hyacinth seem to bloom better if I corral them in and restrict their ability to roam about the pond...may be nothing to it, but it works for me.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2004
12:59 AM

Post #1072365

I finally did that but a little too late, I guess I will learn trial and error..I almost started to move a couple in to the aquarium and float them on top but didn't think they would make it anyway with low light..
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #1072406

I do like wise. I rotate my hyacinth between my fish pond and my water garden. When the fish eat enough to almost kill them they go back to the small pond. Any blooming in the small pond go to the fish pond. Your plan is great. Rubber roofing will work great also.
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2004
2:49 AM

Post #1072618

Rubber roofing?? How do you use that..
LBMOORE
Archie, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2004
11:15 AM

Post #1072929

I just pulled a bunch of hyacinths out of my pond to get ready for winter, they were looking real bad. Threw them in a wheel barrow to set out for the yard waste truck and my black lab started stealing them and eating them. I was afraid they were poisonous so I chased him all around to get them away from him. He did end up eating some of them, and the only adverse reaction was he ended up with diarrhea.

I read somewhere that if you buy a hula hoop and keep the hyacinths all together in it, they will bloom better. The more crowded they are the better they bloom. I think I read this on a water gardening forum.

Roofing rubber is real heavy sheets of rubber that roofers use, it's usually called epdm roofing membrane. Check it out...Firestone is the major supplier of the pondgard pond liner, they are also the major supplier of epdm roofing membrane. Some say they are the same thing, only the pond liner has been given a name, comes uncoated and with a very expensive price tag to rip the ponder off. Firestone insists that they are cured differently, the reason for the price difference for the pondgard membrane. Ponders swear the only difference is the coating which the pondgard does not have. This coating is a powdery substance so if you buy roofing rubber YOU MUST WASH THIS OFF OR IT WILL KILL YOUR FISH!.

All my ponds are lined with USED roofing rubber I get for FREE from a roofing company in my area. All I do is wash it off using a water hose and brush on my hands and knees. With it being used there is very little powder left on it if any...and the price is right!

sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

September 30, 2004
1:07 PM

Post #1073059

Black labs like hyacinth too? My dogs are Newfies. Must be WATER dog, WATER hyacinth!
SnowBird56
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2004
8:42 PM

Post #1073642

My choc. lab we have found loves to go swimming but I haven't thought about him liking the hyacinth, he has tried to get to the pond though...How funny!!!!
Thanks for the in-site on the roofing rubber...

Vickie

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 7, 2004
10:59 AM

Post #1083284

That's absolutely stunning! Beautiful job.
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2004
2:08 PM

Post #1194093

It's Winter! The temperature dropped into the twenties last night. The hyacinth is brown... The fountain is gurgling but, the fish are still active! I've cut down on the food and aeration and Judy removed most of the water hyacinth.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

OldFlowerGirl
Castlegar, BC
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2004
2:43 AM

Post #1196373

Your pond still looks good, even in the middle of December, Big Daddy!
BingsBell
SC, MT
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2005
7:01 PM

Post #1246665

It has been as low as -20 here up until the last week or so. My Koi are fast asleep in their pond (4.5 feet deep) and under 3 inches of ice and snow until yesterday. I have a farm stock tank heater in there by the skimmer to keep it open. My waterfalls run all winter for both areation and the birds who stop by for drinks.

I put all the goldfish in one of my upper ponds for the winter with the hardy water lilies. It is only 2.5 deep but I have a pond heater on a thermostat in there to keep it open. My goldfish haven't stopped moving all winter. I don't think they hybernate like Koi do.

Your pond looks great all the time, BigDaddy99...and it looks like it is time to clean out the filter on your pump...when it burbles like that, mine in my indoor pond is in need of cleaning. Goldfish are notoriously dirty!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2005
2:38 AM

Post #1278382

Why is it I think we've had the pool for 7 years and he thinks 4. I can tell by events ... in 2002, I was able to walk without pain, I had gotten my leg injured 2 years prior, so now we're back to 2000 for a total of 5 years. He built it while he was still working so that makes it prior to the end of 1999 so that puts it about April of 1999 because the bait store still had Goldfish and they don't carry them much later. So it's been 6 years minimum and we've only had to replace the liner once, because a couple of the Bullies decided to get a close look at the fish. lol lol

He built it for me, but now it's his!!!! I have my black rubber container, sold for cattle/horse feeders, on the side porch. You can see it in this picture on the left.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey

BingsBell
SC, MT
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2005
2:32 PM

Post #1278896

Judy,

At the risk of causing a problem here, I have to say that most men don't have the same kind of memory as women. I identify with you in taking other events to set the time for a memory. Most men don't do that. I think it just isn't as important to men as it is to women.

If it is truly of importance to a man, he will remember well. If it doesn't really matter it is not important enough to remember exact times. He is content with the fact that it IS...not when it was to be.

About the pond...allow his pride in what it has become...and the fact that he enjoys talking about it is to be commended.

I have a very good friend, a 115 pound girl with back problems, whose husband had no interest in her gardens or in helping her build a pond. A strong willed woman, she dug the hole, rolled and placed the rocks from else where on their property and built a 3000 gal pond. It took her almost a year, but she did it and all by herself. Her husband now refers to "our" pond in conversation. She just giggles and shakes her head. He is so proud of it that he talks of it quite a bit.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2005
4:27 PM

Post #1328732

Sorry, I didn't have this thread "watched".

Well it almost time to clean up and get going again for spring.

This pond is so simple to make and has brought us so much satisfation. Please consider it, if you are lookng at the preformed, no digging!!!!

Judy
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2005
10:59 PM

Post #1330910

Ted, come back and tell us about the rubber roofing!

John
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2005
11:09 PM

Post #1330921

Yes, rubber roofing!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2005
11:16 PM

Post #1330929

Somewhere along the line we were told the rubber roofing material would result in a chemical release. Make sure whoever recommends this has actually used it for this purpose... Ted do you have personal experience with using it??
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2005
11:30 PM

Post #1330954

I read that you wash it off with water several times to get the 'dust' off. I have never seen a pond made of it though. Read about some online. One guy claimed that he has thousand dollar koi in a pond made of RRL with no ill effects. Guess if I get my hands on some I can put some feeder fish in it and report back?

It's worth a shot.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2005
11:33 PM

Post #1330961

I did in Achorage, AK. Its the same material has the stuff labled as pond liner!
The words "pond liner" make the product cost much more. It used to be free for the asking when the roofer was done. They know better now days! It is non-toxic!!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2005
11:39 PM

Post #1330974

How much is RRL? Most of the research I did was lost during a computer crash.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2005
11:51 PM

Post #1331005

See Sept. 30, 5:15am above for more info. Then do a google search.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2005
11:59 PM

Post #1331021

Question!!! Why would you want to use the more expensive rubber roofing material,,, if you know the cheaper black plastic works, except for dog toenails? Just to improve or be different.. Not complaining, just curious.

Judy
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
12:02 AM

Post #1331030

Black plastic sheeting is not strong enough. Easy to puncture and/or tear.

John
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
12:57 AM

Post #1331152

As I wrote above, "it's been 6 years minimum and we've only had to replace the liner once (last year after 5 years of using it), because a couple of the Bullies decided to get a close look at the fish. lol lol" At the time we only had 2 layers of black plastic and it took several Bullies scrambling in and out several times for a toenail to finally cause a leak. Actually it was in need of a good cleaning by this time anyway!! Prior it had not needed cleaning because the fish were not so big and I would just do an sharp spray from the water hose, overspill cleaning. (did not know better and killed the Koi a friend gave me that way, but the goldfish are tough so they survived.)

I am of the opinion that with just goldfish you don't need the fancy filter, etc. if you have floater plants, a few potted plants and water run off is not a problem... that is unless the goldfish are really big and have overgrown the pond which ours have NOW.

The idea is great and works well for those who just want a pond that is Cheap & Easy. 5 years with 2 layers of construction grade black plastic (our local feed store will cut it to size) and several dogs taking dips is marvelous!!! We have totally enjoyed this small pool and it was truly Cheap & Easy!!

Judy
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
1:07 AM

Post #1331169

Judy, what is "construction grade black plastic?" How many mil?

John
janeth2
Dayton, NV

March 11, 2005
3:19 PM

Post #1331923

What about a water bed mattress?
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
4:29 PM

Post #1332091

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/490247/ here is a very good thread that has been started on that subject and others. Please add more ideas you have on it so everyone can see them.

EVERYONE NEEDS A POND, SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET!!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
5:28 PM

Post #1332201

Judy, see my comment 2 posts above your last one.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
5:44 PM

Post #1332227

imway2dumb - Hon, I really don't recall or I would have already posted the information.

I'll have to go way out to the barn and look on the box if we didn't use it all, but the wind here is just too strong right now for me to get out.

Since you are so eager, I think the most expedient thing for you to do is just go to or call Home Depot, they have it there. It's just your basic black plastic used for many applications; in building, around the house, or farm. Many people use it to kill grass, wrap up things to keep the rain out... you know that kind of thing, nothing special just construction grade black plastic sheeting.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2005 2:42 PM
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2005
7:35 PM

Post #1332408

Ok, gotcha. ;-) I'll get cheapest toughest stuff I can find and give it a whirl.
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2005
4:05 PM

Post #1343994

imway2dumb - Did you do it? Start a thread and post pictures!!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2005
4:25 PM

Post #1344029

It is a work in progress, Judy. I will start a new thread soon showing my version of trois' "Making Rocks" thread. Which will include my version of a water feature. I will be sticking my neck out, though. If I blow it everyone will know. Be gentle if I do blow it, LOL. I really don't know what I'm doing.

John
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2005
5:02 PM

Post #1344173

None of us do, so you are not alone!!!

Judy
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1344256

John,
Looking forward to your 'trois rocks' thread! Never let "I don't know what I'm doing" stand in the way! It's called 'creativity', man! LOL Practice what I like to call "nike therapy" and "just DO it"! Can't wait to see the pictures!
Melissa
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2005
6:02 PM

Post #1344305

I will start posting right after the 23rd. (the eagle flies then). Have to get more cement first.

John
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2005
9:12 PM

Post #1344701

Right on! I'll be waiting.
BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2005
8:02 PM

Post #1456330

Sweet and lovable Judy was cleaning out the pond today. She was raking out some of the debris that accumulated over the winter-- leaves, twigs, etc. with her hand. And she had the hose going to flush out some of the scum and fish do-do. "Look, Big Daddy! It's a snake!' (Actually, just the snake head...) and off she runs to get the camera. Three years ago, she would have run for the hoe but I think I have explained the Eco system enough times that she's given up and tries to co-exist with her nemesis. A year ago, 'Blackie', a female Black Rat Snake looked large enough to have babies and I think that the swimmer must be one of hers. Judy used the hose to 'flush' the snake and he wiggled under the porch to safety.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2005
8:15 PM

Post #1456346

Message from Judy @#$$@#$@%#%@#%

Last year Blackie's name was changed to Slim Jim Tucker and Bob was suppose to have taken him off, but instead put him out behind the barn. Earlier this year a man who was helping do some yard work discovered Slim Jim under a pile of boards, obviously "with snakies".

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/463875/ here is the rest of the story on Slim Jim Tucker

This message was edited May 8, 2005 2:22 PM
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2005
3:49 PM

Post #1460263

Black Jack was found sunning himself in the gravel driveway about 6 feet from the back porch... but Bob was the one he startled this time so maybe, he'll relocate him far away this time. I've promised to use my hoe if I see him again. Bob attempted to hold him between a leaf rake and a shovel to take him away this mornign, but he got away and is now back under the house.

How do you catch a snake???

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #2807129

We still love our little Gold fish pool

Thumbnail by judycooksey

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2832743

Judy;
I like the idea and the inexpenciveness, of your pond. It looks neat. Now I will have to put in another pond, just for goldies and because I like the design.
I have the rubber roofing in two of my ponds. which are right at nine years old. I have some of the same koi I started with. They don't seem to have had any problem with the RRL. I bought the roofing material at a roofing supply store. It's cost is about 1/2 that of pond liner. I had a choice of either 45mil or 60mil. at the time I was afraid of deer geting in the pond, so I went with 60. But let me tell you that is "heavy"and hard to handle. There is right at 10cents difference per square foot in the price.
I think Lowes handles both the pond liner and the 45mil RRL. I haven't checked for the difference there. But the price that the nursery wanted for pond liner would have stopped me from puting in a pond.
Sending two pics R

Thumbnail by randbponder

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2006
9:29 PM

Post #2832751

And one more at feeding time

Thumbnail by randbponder

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2832774

Your pond is beautiful!!! I've been hinting to DH that I want raised planters built with the same design including the black plastic but with holes punched in the bottom for drainage.

A snake got in the pool and ate all really large goldfish, so we will be restocking next spring.

Judy
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 19, 2006
9:59 PM

Post #2832809

Sorry I just scroled back. Bigdaddys pond construction. I like the design. And just an after thought, I didn't have very good luck with water hyacinth this year either. I think the water falls kept the water a little cool for them to grow great guns, as a friend in the same area has a much smaller falls and her water was warmer and her hyacinth were healthy and were blooming profusely. Her pond is not as large as mine,about 6' diameter and 3' deep. Mine is 3&1/2' deep and 12' wide and 25' long. So the biggest difference that I could determin was the water fall cooling the water more than hers. ??????? R

Thumbnail by randbponder

judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2832959

I've had people to tell me their hyacinth weren't doing well, not blooming etc. If you keep your pond too clean then you eliminate all the fish poo which is the best fertilizer for them.

Judy
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

October 20, 2006
4:11 AM

Post #2833935

Thanks for that info; but I really don't think that was the problem, I won't discount it though. My water was rather green untill I put in the hyacenth, and lettuce, then it started to clear up. But both the lettuce, and Hyacinth started turning yellow and the W/H were getting smaller and the leaves and pods were rotting and dieing off . Two years ago they done great. but then it was much warmer that summer too. I'm not certian on the temp thing. but this is zone 4b. It's a little late this year, but next year I will try a couple experiments. With a heater, then with less water flow. It was early fall before the water cleared up enough to see the bottom clearly. That thought does hold creadence tho as all plants need nourishment, of one kind or another. I will have to be patient till next spring tho. as the fish have all just kind of went to the deepest part and are just laying low. as the temp today didn't get up to 40 till this eve. Tomorrow will be a little warmer, but not enough to cause them to come out of dormacy. I really apriciate your help in this. I would like to have hyacinths bloom every year.
One thing I did different this year is I had four EEs in the pond. they would help take more of the fish poo out of the water???? who knows?
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2006
1:00 PM

Post #2834399

Two years ago I had such an abundance of water hyacinth I shoveld them out of the pond by the bushel basket load and composted them. Last year in the koi pond they were stunted and yellow leaved with very a small root mass while a couple I had tucked into a smaller gold fish pond did just fine. I attributed it to the nine koi which have grown, as they do, to the 18 to 24 inch size. I think the koi reached a size where they eat the roots so fast the hyacinth can't get a start. This year I tried a couple plants again and they were totaly destroyed in less than a week. I would watch the koi tow them around the pond. I had to wire tie plastic garden fencing with 1 in. holes over the tops of the lotus tub to keep the koi from totally rooting out the tuber. The lotus did fine once I did that. It grew easily up through the holes in the plastic fence. If you've got big koi you've got plant eaters. I was blaming our resident racoon for overturning small water lilly pots in the shallow end until I saw a koi knock it over and tug/drag the plant to the bottom. What a mess that was! I built a loose river rock dam around the pots on the ledge and so far the koi havn't found a way over the rocks. They are a rowdy bunch!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #2834441

Thank you so much for the explanation!!! I bet that is what happened to randbponder's plants.

Judy
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3553244

Updated picture of the Goldfish Pool... replaced the black plastic liner last year becuse I punched holes in it trying to slam-dunk and flip out a snake.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 30, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #3554506

Judy; I needed a good laugh. I invisioned you out there, beating up on the plants and that snake. I hope you won!
I have a leak in my one pond. If I pump the water up to it I loose a lot of water. so right now the 2 ponds are seperate. Hope I can find the time soon to take care of it. Still putting in garden right now. and with mowing 4 different yards, two of them are an acre each, it's pushing me.
Happy water gardening!
judycooksey
Pocahontas, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3554597

lol lol My DH is a relocator, but that sucker had eaten all my goldfish and hissed at me, time to take him on... A week or so later a day worker came to help with some chores, Mr Snake was back. He said "you want to kill" I said "Yes" louder than DH said "No". Away went the snake and the liner was replaced.

Judy
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3555038

And Mr. snake will hiss no more.
I haven't seen anything bigger than a gardener snake around my pond. But if I catch them, they normaly go to the back of the lot. as they do eat a few nasty bugs. But if I suspect that this his second or third time in my pond. He is history too. I don't really think he would be there to catch boatman beatles or dizzy bugs.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #3555261

We named our resident Garter snake Harold. I don't consider him to be a problem.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/resources/reptiles/egart.htm
Add a pair of mallards and it's wildlife central - the snake up on a rock sunning himself and the ducks paddling around the pond. Sometimes I change my chore list so I don't go out there and distrub them. It's neat. I kept snakes as pets as a kid so they don't bother me. Been bitten a few times. Copperheads and Water Moccaisons are another story though. Not sure how I would handle that. Wildlife has to be somewhere, but risking your life is not an option.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2007
1:59 AM

Post #3555314

Well they arn't a real problem unless you are trying to build up the number of babies, to get more adult koi. That is after a two legged snake stole about half what you had. including one that was a 24 incher. I just hope he is happy with himself.
I'LL look at that site after I send this . Happy ponding.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2007
3:43 AM

Post #3555838

A thief caught and stole your koi? How on earth? I can't catch mine when I absolutely have to! Did you look around at any independantly owned pond stores to see if yours showed up? Ask around if anybody just built a new pond? Boy would I ever be mad as heck. I think I would be posting a few wanted posters. People would talk if they saw a "LOST KOI" poster. If it wasn't for the 24 incher you could suspect a heron. But, it would take an eagle to haul off one that large. Sheesh. That's worse than the idiot who steals Christmas decorations every year from my yard and others. Easier to replace those than grown koi. I can't get over it, your fish I mean. That takes the cake.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2007
2:13 PM

Post #3556895

It happened. I'm still upset. and the worse part is - - - I am fairly sure of who the culpret is. I am waiteing my chance to say some thing. I want him to ask me something about the pond or the fish. Then let him know how hurt I was. and how much of a low down scoundrel it must have been. to do something like that. I know that if I were to replace them size for size from a fish farm, it would exceed $2000.00
Snap I didn't really want to open that wound. but I did, and talking about it does help knowing that some do care.
dax080
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #3557006

Oh, Russ - how awful!! Just saw your post about your koi, and I feel for you - not only are they expensive, but you do get attached to them - I can't believe someone would repay your wonderful kindness in such a way - so sorry. My pets (that you gave me) are healthy and happy here - and have grown about 4 inches from last year - if there's anything I can do, just let me know - Bec
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 31, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #3557516

Becki; Your kind thoughts and friendship, are sufficiant. Every one on DG are wounderful people at heart.
Hmmmmm maybe I should invite him to join DG?????
A little more kindness wouldn't hurt.
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2007
3:40 AM

Post #3560031

So sorry to hear about your fish! If you are pretty certain who it is (and they do not know that you know) could you invite them over to help you look for them and "accidentally" knock them in the pond and at least partially drown them?? You could even help them to climb out and then again "accidentally" slip a little and drop them in again...
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2007
10:31 AM

Post #3560599

Tetleytuna;
((*-*)) I like your idea.
But it does have its down side. I think if I catch him off guard, and he says something, anything at all, about my pond or my fish. Then let him know what I think about theives. The point may get accross. and make him a better person in the process.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3561338

randbponder, you set a standard for the rest of us, well me at least. I wouldn't be big enough to be thinking about making this individual a better person. I would be thiking about getting even and getting my fish back. You're quite a guy. May the koi god smile upon you and your pond.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 2, 2007
12:00 AM

Post #3563467

Snap , Your complement humbles me. I just cant do tit for tat. I try to think that some good will come from something like that. weather for me to realize something or an opportunity of some sort for the good.
I'm not super; I just can't do bad.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3763836

Randbponder,
I can't "do" bad but sometimes it amuses me to think it up!!! I had a horse trough with a whiskey barrel on a platform for a fall. I had 13 fish and could identify each one, I named them all. If someone had stolen my fish I would be heart sick! I ended up selling the house and the new people did not want the water feature because of their young children. I moved my "pond" and all of the fish to a friend's house where she could enjoy them.

I hope you have not lost any more fish to the 2-legged snake who was thieving your "pets".
Pat
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 22, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #3764213

Pat; That sounds like you had a one of a kind water feature. I'll bet you had it filled with many water plants. I can only imagine. Yes I had some of them eating out of my hand. They would all follow me along the edge of the pond. Well I still had roughly half of them. but not the ones I really liked. I have pretty much let my pond go, I can't seem to get enthused about doing much for the pond. The Koi I had left have reproduced. but almost all the white ones were gone. I thought about things I could have done that would have made someone think twice. But I have come close to putting it pretty much behind me. I am in the middle of a garden starting to produce. So I am in the middle of pickling cukes. I've done 8 qt of dill. and have given around 3 doz, away. and have enough for some Bread & butter pickles.
I do think I will get back to the pond after I get done with the harvesting. And I will have a security camera. I may have pictures of a lot of cats. and some of the neighbors dog. But it would only take once of someone with a net, to be able to definatly point a finger. The water now is a murky green, nobody can see the fish until they are fed. I just have the pump churning the water. I haven't reconected the pluming for the water fall. I would say yes I was upset, and did take away the joy of us seting on the patio for our morning coffee.
Just want to thank you for your concern even though not much can be done. It is the kind words that makes me feel better about getting back to taking better care of the pond. I dinn't even buy any of the floating plants this year. But I was also very busy with starting vedgies as well as starting sweetpotato plants for others for some prearanged trading at this springs round up at Cedar Rapids. Just wish That snake had been a DGer. I don't think it would have happened. As you know better than 99% of DGers are really wonderful people.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5386886

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5387976

Hey scooter; Saw your smiley face. Appreciate that .
That speaks volumes.
I decided to put the rest of my fish in another neighbors pond, that I helped him build. We are still working on it. It will be quite a layout when we are done. The pond and waterfalls are in. Some rock work needed yet. The next part when he gets the cash will be building a covered deck beside the pond and a barbeque area. I am going to leave most of my fish there. Possibly next spring I may retrieve Mr. friendly, and a few others and start up again.
I will git back to work on the pond and water falls this fall but no fish. I was able to confront the person I still believe did it. But his sister was in agreement with the story that he gave me. I have accepted the fact that I may never know for sure. But at least he knows that I knew what my fish looked like. Their story was that him and his sister went all the way to Kansas, from here to get nine fish. he called them blues But they were a mix of Asagi with the blue grey back and orange on the sides. The same number that I was missing, plus one which was the ( adult female ) of the nine. There were a few others In his pond that resembled mine too.. I believe however now that we have had the discussion. It may be safe to start the pond back up.
Heh Heh He offered to give me a couple to start back up again, said he hated to see me have a nice pond and water feature and not use it.

Oh well maybe I will have another friend with a very strained start. The trust may take a while though. Thank you everyone who had sympathized with me. I think the story will be a closure. Thanks to all.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM
Peroxide safe for fish and plants? madelyn65 41 Apr 24, 2010 9:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America