Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Easy and inexpensive pond...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Three years ago, my honeydew list included a pond for water plants and goldfish. So one weekend when landscape timbers went on sale (1.88) and armed with a skilsaw, I fashioned an above ground pool. If anyone would like me to post plans and pictures, I'd be happy to...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to see how you did your pond. I have to redo my small not to deep pond so I can keep my fish in it all year and have looked at pictures for ever but still need some help..

Thanks

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

That is the weirdest looking fish I have ever seen! LOL I love boxers and bulldogs and well anything with fur! ;)

I always say where there is a will there is a way. And the cheaper the better. My first pond had a swimming pool liner. I prefer the way it looked to my real pond, just because the blue liner made it look so nice and clean and inviting.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The furry fish is 'Cowboy', an English bulldog. When he was young, he lost his balance while drinking and scared himself silly! He never did it again...
Judy bought some 'bait' goldfish -- a dozen for $4. They've been hanging out in the pool for about 2 years and have grown from an inch to almost 8 inches. The pool is about a foot deep made from 15 landscape timbers, some 5 mil black plastic left over from covering my watermelon patch (two sheets 20 x 20), 2 bags of play sand (Judy's potting sand), 25 feet of nylon rope and 6 reinforcement bars (12"). I used an electric saw and a drill with a bit that was larger than the r-bar.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

First step is to saw all of the timbers in two at a 60 degree angle. The pool has six sides and if I remember correctly, a circle has 360 degrees so that's why I used 60. So now you have 30 4 foot timbers.

Second step is to drill a hole for the re-bar 8 inches from the square end of each landscape timber. Drill completely through on 18 of the timbers and half way through on the other 12. These 12 are for the bottom layer and the top layer so make sure 6 are drilled with the cut angle one way and 6 are drilled with the cut angle the other way.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2004 7:32 PM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Step three: Then level a 8 foot circle with a shovel and some bags of sand.

Step four: Pick out 6 timbers with holes drilled half way through for the bottom layer and form the first row with those holes on the top side.

Step five: Stick a reinforcement rod into each hole and build another layer with the cut end going in the reverse order like a log cabin. Build the next two layers.

Step six: Spread the plastic sheets and press out as much air space as possible.

Step seven: Fill with water almost to the top to make sure there won't be any pulling on the sides after fastening the plastic to the logs.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Staple or nail a nylon rope around the middle of the next to top row of logs. Using the rope helps to eliminate tearing the plastic from the staples. Then trim the plastic to size leaving 2 or 3 inches beyond the stapled rope and fold the plastic back over the rope and staple it again.

Last step: Add the top layer of timbers.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99

You did a mighty fine job! Beats the heck out of my preforms!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

There were some extra timbers left over so they ended up as a shelf for some potted plants and an old hand pump. There's a pump with a fountain that's used for aeration and cleaning.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

One refinement that was made a couple of months after the initial construction was to chisel out a low place in the second row of logs so that any overflow would run off at the back. I made it big enough to thread the pump's cord through. Then I replaced the plastic and the top row and the 'shelf' and all Judy's potted plants.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2004 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Last winter, the pump and fountain ran even during freezing weather. All of the water plants were moved inside but the fish wintered in the pool. Didn't lose any.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2004 8:08 AM

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Your did a great job of that pond of yours BigDaddy99, thanks for sharing. But I particularly enjoyed reading your stories about the adorable Peanut Butter Cookie and all of his adventures. What a great idea. I emailed the link to my grandson as I know he'll love them.

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the information, it looks good how deep is it..I brought my 5 fish inside now since I know mine is not deep enough to keep them in it..Now is the time to redo and make it bigger..

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The top of the water is about a foot above the bottom of the pond. It holds over 300 gallons of water not counting the displacement from 4 cinder blocks that hold some of the aquatic plants. Judy put some lovely flowering plants with lavender blooms (I wish I could tell you the name???) which are propagating all over the place... I had to move the extra ones to two kiddy pools so the fish could have some open water...

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Your plants are water hyacinth. They get kind of crazy, but I like them. I feed the extras to my dogs, which sounds nuts but the dogs love them.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thats an idea never thought of that sylv74 wonder if mine would like them.... I just wished mine bloomed this year but I must have done something wrong with them..Yours looks good what did you do to get them to bloom...

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The water hyacinth (thank you, Sylvi) in the pond kept growing and propagating because of the sun, temperature, and fish fertilizer... but, they didn't bloom. The fish took a vote and sent a note saying that they would like me to thin them out so I moved over half of them to two kiddy pools full of clean water in the shade and after three weeks, they started blooming. I moved a few back to the fish pond to show the others what they were supposed to do but I'm still waiting for them to catch on... (Fact of the matter is, I don't know why they bloomed...) Bob

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the advice I thought my fish might be eating them. Maybe next year I will have better luck.

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

My fish chew the roots off the hyacinth, so I have some in one pool for the fish and some in another where they can't reach. Then I replace the battered ones in the fish pool with fresh ones. They grow like crazy so it works great.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I thought I needed another water source but never got around to this year but will next year and see if that will work better on them.. I just brought my fish in a week ago and brought some of the
underwater plants I had in there and they have totally stripped the leaves now so I guess I need to get a few more of them and add to the aquarium..

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

My water hyacinth seem to bloom better if I corral them in and restrict their ability to roam about the pond.....may be nothing to it, but it works for me.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I finally did that but a little too late, I guess I will learn trial and error..I almost started to move a couple in to the aquarium and float them on top but didn't think they would make it anyway with low light..

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I do like wise. I rotate my hyacinth between my fish pond and my water garden. When the fish eat enough to almost kill them they go back to the small pond. Any blooming in the small pond go to the fish pond. Your plan is great. Rubber roofing will work great also.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Rubber roofing?? How do you use that..

Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

I just pulled a bunch of hyacinths out of my pond to get ready for winter, they were looking real bad. Threw them in a wheel barrow to set out for the yard waste truck and my black lab started stealing them and eating them. I was afraid they were poisonous so I chased him all around to get them away from him. He did end up eating some of them, and the only adverse reaction was he ended up with diarrhea.

I read somewhere that if you buy a hula hoop and keep the hyacinths all together in it, they will bloom better. The more crowded they are the better they bloom. I think I read this on a water gardening forum.

Roofing rubber is real heavy sheets of rubber that roofers use, it's usually called epdm roofing membrane. Check it out....Firestone is the major supplier of the pondgard pond liner, they are also the major supplier of epdm roofing membrane. Some say they are the same thing, only the pond liner has been given a name, comes uncoated and with a very expensive price tag to rip the ponder off. Firestone insists that they are cured differently, the reason for the price difference for the pondgard membrane. Ponders swear the only difference is the coating which the pondgard does not have. This coating is a powdery substance so if you buy roofing rubber YOU MUST WASH THIS OFF OR IT WILL KILL YOUR FISH!.

All my ponds are lined with USED roofing rubber I get for FREE from a roofing company in my area. All I do is wash it off using a water hose and brush on my hands and knees. With it being used there is very little powder left on it if any......and the price is right!

East Bethel, MN(Zone 4a)

Black labs like hyacinth too? My dogs are Newfies. Must be WATER dog, WATER hyacinth!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My choc. lab we have found loves to go swimming but I haven't thought about him liking the hyacinth, he has tried to get to the pond though...How funny!!!!
Thanks for the in-site on the roofing rubber...

Vickie

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

That's absolutely stunning! Beautiful job.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

It's Winter! The temperature dropped into the twenties last night. The hyacinth is brown... The fountain is gurgling but, the fish are still active! I've cut down on the food and aeration and Judy removed most of the water hyacinth.

Thumbnail by BigDaddy99
Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Your pond still looks good, even in the middle of December, Big Daddy!

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

It has been as low as -20 here up until the last week or so. My Koi are fast asleep in their pond (4.5 feet deep) and under 3 inches of ice and snow until yesterday. I have a farm stock tank heater in there by the skimmer to keep it open. My waterfalls run all winter for both areation and the birds who stop by for drinks.

I put all the goldfish in one of my upper ponds for the winter with the hardy water lilies. It is only 2.5 deep but I have a pond heater on a thermostat in there to keep it open. My goldfish haven't stopped moving all winter. I don't think they hybernate like Koi do.

Your pond looks great all the time, BigDaddy99.....and it looks like it is time to clean out the filter on your pump...when it burbles like that, mine in my indoor pond is in need of cleaning. Goldfish are notoriously dirty!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Why is it I think we've had the pool for 7 years and he thinks 4. I can tell by events .... in 2002, I was able to walk without pain, I had gotten my leg injured 2 years prior, so now we're back to 2000 for a total of 5 years. He built it while he was still working so that makes it prior to the end of 1999 so that puts it about April of 1999 because the bait store still had Goldfish and they don't carry them much later. So it's been 6 years minimum and we've only had to replace the liner once, because a couple of the Bullies decided to get a close look at the fish. lol lol

He built it for me, but now it's his!!!! I have my black rubber container, sold for cattle/horse feeders, on the side porch. You can see it in this picture on the left.

Judy

Thumbnail by judycooksey
SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Judy,

At the risk of causing a problem here, I have to say that most men don't have the same kind of memory as women. I identify with you in taking other events to set the time for a memory. Most men don't do that. I think it just isn't as important to men as it is to women.

If it is truly of importance to a man, he will remember well. If it doesn't really matter it is not important enough to remember exact times. He is content with the fact that it IS....not when it was to be.

About the pond....allow his pride in what it has become....and the fact that he enjoys talking about it is to be commended.

I have a very good friend, a 115 pound girl with back problems, whose husband had no interest in her gardens or in helping her build a pond. A strong willed woman, she dug the hole, rolled and placed the rocks from else where on their property and built a 3000 gal pond. It took her almost a year, but she did it and all by herself. Her husband now refers to "our" pond in conversation. She just giggles and shakes her head. He is so proud of it that he talks of it quite a bit.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I didn't have this thread "watched".

Well it almost time to clean up and get going again for spring.

This pond is so simple to make and has brought us so much satisfation. Please consider it, if you are lookng at the preformed, no digging!!!!

Judy

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ted, come back and tell us about the rubber roofing!

John

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, rubber roofing!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Somewhere along the line we were told the rubber roofing material would result in a chemical release. Make sure whoever recommends this has actually used it for this purpose..... Ted do you have personal experience with using it??

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I read that you wash it off with water several times to get the 'dust' off. I have never seen a pond made of it though. Read about some online. One guy claimed that he has thousand dollar koi in a pond made of RRL with no ill effects. Guess if I get my hands on some I can put some feeder fish in it and report back?

It's worth a shot.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I did in Achorage, AK. Its the same material has the stuff labled as pond liner!
The words "pond liner" make the product cost much more. It used to be free for the asking when the roofer was done. They know better now days! It is non-toxic!!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

How much is RRL? Most of the research I did was lost during a computer crash.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.