Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles Pictures: Horse Chestnut, Conker Tree (Aesculus hippocastanum)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2004
4:46 PM

Post #1079062

Horse Chestnut, Conker Tree
Aesculus hippocastanum

Conkers and fruit cases SW France October 2004

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1656/

Thumbnail by philomel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

October 5, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #1080582

Gee philomel, does this picture ever bring back memories. When I was a kid we used to go to my grandparents cottage in the summer. There was a tree next door & my brother & I always used to go & pick up as many chestnuts as we could. On one of our return trips home on the train we had a whole shopping bag full of chestnuts. Well the bag broke & there were chestnuts everywhere, all over the train. We called them conkers & put them on string or sticks & used to hit each other on the head. No too smart but we sure had fun. That's a great photo & thanks for the memories.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2004
4:45 PM

Post #1080743

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one broots :)

Yes, conkers on strings and then conker fights to see whose conker can stay on the string to be the champion. Boys used to soak them in vinegar and all sorts of other tricks to make them harder and last longer LOL
You just had to mind your knuckles!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 4 Oct 20, 2014 1:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America