Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: I know it's a bleeding heart, but what variety?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rozilynn
Kerrville, TX

June 15, 2001
4:36 PM

Post #6561

Hello! I'm really in a bind here, and then I found this wonderful website! I'm a professional photographer, and I love flowers and gardens, but I am horrible at identifying things. I know that this is some sort of bleeding heart, but I need to know exactly what kind so I can label it. I've got a few flowers that I don't know about, but I'll let you try your hand at this one first! If you happen to know the scientific name I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Rozilynn

Thumbnail by Rozilynn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2001
5:07 PM

Post #83525

Clerodendrum Thomsoniae "Bleeding Heart Vine" ??

Compare it to a pic at http://members.aol.com/kartuzexotics4/vines.htm

There is also a red variety

This message was edited Friday, Jun 15th 1:09 PM
Rozilynn
Kerrville, TX

June 15, 2001
5:14 PM

Post #83527

That's it! Wow! How the heck did you find that? I've been searching for WEEKS!

Thanks Tim!

Rozilynn Mitchell

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2001
7:45 PM

Post #83566

Great photo, Rozilyn... I have just common red bleeding heart, but now that I have seen your photo, I want one of those! Thanks.
lantana

(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2001
8:37 PM

Post #83572

Do you grow that in Kerrville, TX?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!! Many down here have failed at bleeding hearts because of the heat. How did you do that?

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2001
8:53 PM

Post #83575

I grow this in GA, so Texas should be able to.. I have it on a shaded part of my deck, and have to take it in for the winter..
Larkie
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2001
10:50 PM

Post #83611

This is not the old fashioned bleeding heart that you may be thinking of (Dicentra spectabilis). This is a completely different plant correctly identifed by Tim and not even remotely related. It is subtropical thus should do well in the south in the warmer parts of zones 8 and all of zones 9 and 10. It is a vine but can be kept fairly compact by some judicious pinching and pruning. In the north, you will need to bring it in for the winter.
Rozilynn
Kerrville, TX

June 16, 2001
1:26 AM

Post #83666

Yeah, it's right here in Kerrville, and blooms like mad. I love it, and I didn't really think it was a traditional bleeding heart, but since that's what the nursery told me, I figured it was some hybrid... but obviously, it's not, I'm glad I was able to learn more about it, thanks for the comments you all!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2001
1:14 PM

Post #84038

People grow them down here in Florida too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America