Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Propagating Geranium Phaeum

Campinas, Brazil(Zone 9b)

I've tryed to grow this Geranium without success.
There's any special hint for this one ?
All the others hardy geraniums and pelargoniums are very easy to propagate.
Could anyone help me ?

Hamburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Antonio are trying to start from seeds?

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

I think I germinated mine (Samobar) in a damp paper towel. If I remember they spent some time in the fridge. I was using the peroxide method for a lot of seeds this spring too, so may have done that and it's worth a try anytime you're having difficulties. My few notes I kept say germinates under 41 degrees F. I have both the dark purple and the white in my gardens and they self seed a lot.

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Babalu phaeum prefers a period of cold in order to germinate. You are best sowing the seed under a layer of sharp grit, watering well and putting in a cold frame outside over winter. Never let them dry out and they should germinate in the spring.

Campinas, Brazil(Zone 9b)

Echoes and Psilo - Thanks so much for your notes. The problem in Brazil is that we almost have no winter. We never have temperatures under 5 C. So, some seeds really have to spent some time in the fridge to simulate winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.