Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 82, Views: 910
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2004
8:24 AM

Post #1094148

I have lots of odds and ends. Dogwood, Rose of Sharon, ect. I also like the newer stuff. 50s and 60s. Gene Florence reference books are also very helpful for ID.Earlier in the week, I picked up a Willow ware platter this week for $3.00 at the flea market!
Teresa

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2004
11:05 AM

Post #1094174

I don't really collect it, but I am amasing a bunch. I've been buying & selling for number of years, so have a lot around. I have a 12 place setting of amber Madrid. I like the pink things the most.
A couple of weeks ago we had a community auction. I got a bunch of pink pieces for little money.
I have some pieces that are valued well over $100 each.
I also like the painted plates, old Bavarian & German are my favorites.
My wife collects cat things. She has over 400 items, figurines, paintings, prints, pillows, even Beany cats!
Also likes Indian things.
Bernie
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2004
2:51 PM

Post #1094441

The amber Madrid is a nice pattern. I do not have any amber but I do have a single clear creamer from my Grandmother. I collect Sugar and Creamers too. The Barvarian plates and bowls are beautiful.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2004
11:52 PM

Post #1095227

I collect depression glass. I have more of the green Princess pattern. I have a few odd pieces in green also, like mixing bowls, measuring cups, platters, berry bowls. Love it!!!!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2004
6:54 AM

Post #1095729

You know, I have been seeing my green Pyrex mixing bowl set in the antique shops. I love the pouring spout. I guess I should put them up and buy something to use for everyday. I have an odd ball blue Fireking m. bowl.and the large mixing bowl of a set that is Aqua. It has an Amish scene on it. Anyone need these? I will trade for FLOWERS :)
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2004
6:56 AM

Post #1095730

I have a berry bucket, does that count, hemlady? It is green graniteware.
BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2004
12:33 PM

Post #1095832

If anyone wants to buy any Miss America pattern - I know someone that's looking to sell.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2004
12:45 PM

Post #1095848

Mbock, what is your first name? I will check with a friend and see if she needs any items. She is collecting Miss America.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2004
1:39 PM

Post #1095913

I have not seen a berry bucket. Can you post a pic of it bluegrass?
BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2004
5:14 PM

Post #1096262

Bluegrass425 - It's Marcia. My mother-in-law has a collection and us girls have decided we don't want it when she goes - so she's looking to sell it. Don't have any idea what the pieces are or what she wants for them. However, I know she has some things that aren't easy to find.

Let me know.

M.
sh1025
Woodville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #1101737

I collect American Sweetheart in the pink color and I have a few pieces in the clear.
djm906
Mount Prospect, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2004
11:06 PM

Post #1102886

I just purchased a compote in the Paneled Forget Me Not pattern which I just love. I hope it will not be a difficult pattern to find. I've never tried ebay as it seems a bit daunting to me.

I also collect Lladro Christmas plates. That series ran for just a specified time, like maybe 10 or 12 years? I have maybe 6 of them so far.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2004
2:01 AM

Post #1103111

Hemlady, you can go to http://www.tias.com. Put in green graniteware berry bucket.

If it has sold. One has been on Ebay also. The auction was closing soon.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2004 12:02 AM

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2004
2:15 PM

Post #1116471

I've got a set of pink Adam and a set of green Adam that I've been putting together for over 30 years.Got most of the pieces to both, except for the rare green butter dish, etc...
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2004
3:44 PM

Post #1116678

Wow, I would love to see those sometime. I only have bit and pieces. I have not been seriously collecting long.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2004
5:49 PM

Post #1116904

I use mine on special occasions. Set the dining table with my best cutwork tablecloth , use gold ribbon napkin rings and tie gold bows at the base of my tumblers, gold candlesticks and gold silk flowers in the vases.

Makes for a stunning pastel Christmas table.

After the meal, I hand wash with bath towels in the bottoms of my sinks.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2004
10:20 PM

Post #1117332

I use my depression glass on holidays only. I am too afraid of breaking it. It is fragile. I get kind of scared every Thanksgiving when I put hot veggies in the serving bowls. I know the glass is not tempered and anything too hot will crack it. I haven't been collecting as long as you Melody. Been about 3 or 4 years for me and I still am missing several pieces of the Princess pattern. I do have a butter dish, but it is in the Georgian Love Birds pattern. I started also to pick up a few pieces of Jadeite. That is a stronger glass because it is ovenwear. I'm not sure if it is microwaveable.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2004
2:34 AM

Post #1117673

I have a pink butter dish with lid...just no green one. Got both the pink AND green sugars WITH lids...the green lid is very rare. Got pink candlesticks, no green ones. Got green vase, no pink one...and so it goes...I have 16 plates of each color...the regular and the grill...got sherbets and dessert plates...salts and peppers, veggie bowls and cake plates, pickle dishes, pitchers and tumblers.

I can feed an army on Depression Glass, but I'm like hemlady...I use it, but only on special occasions...but it's my 'good' china...I only have everyday stoneware and this...If I'm doing something really special, it's on my Depression Glass.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 29, 2004
3:50 AM

Post #1117800

I had a lady stop in one time, I had a plate, berry dish, cup & saucer, as a place setting. (Sorry I don't remember the patten or color.) Anyhow she belonged to a bridge club and she bought that setting to make 4. Each was a different color & pattern. That is what she used to serve lunch to her bridge club. I thought it was kind of neat idea!
Bernie
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2004
6:04 AM

Post #1117934

Melody, where did you find so much? I rarely see the grilled plates anymore.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2004
1:00 PM

Post #1118119

I've been doing this one piece at a time for over 30 years...most was done more than 20 years ago...haven't bought much since then...just a piece here and there. I rarely see Adam any more, it's just not out there like it was.

It's odd that you never see the grill plates...figured they would hold up better over their thinner siblings.I've not seen either kind in ages though.

Is the Depression Glass Daze still being published? I used to have a subscription many moons ago. That's where my hard to find green sugar lid came from.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2004
3:14 PM

Post #1118278

I use Gene Florence books mostly. I am like a kid, I love to look at all the colored pictures. He has a website of his own. Collector Books in Paducah stock his ID books too. I found one at the flea market on Kitchen Glassware. It is pretty neat.
Glass knives, rolling pins, salt and pepper shaker, ect.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2004
5:45 PM

Post #1118540

The Daze will give a monthly overview of prices asked, just by what is being offered. I found my green sugar lid in Ohio. It really helps to complete a set...of course, that was before e-bay was even a glint in the eye of it's creator...it may not even be published anymore.

Gene Florence is the High Guru of anything glass...he's sort of like George Gruhn and Martin Guitars...they know more on their subject than we'll ever hope to...got several of Gene's books myself.
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2004
1:07 PM

Post #1119748

I use Gene Florence books too. I love looking at all the pictures.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2004
1:51 PM

Post #1119788

What amazes me is all of the rare and 'one of' stuff that seems to find it's way to him...why can't I run across an American Sweetheart lampshade??????
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2004
6:58 PM

Post #1120230

I collect the pattern, "Manhattan"...this form was only in production for two years, so Anchor Hocking says! I love the ribbed rings on it...E

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
1:56 AM

Post #1120723

Manhatten is a great pattern...and I know what you mean about production years...Adam was produced from 1932 to 1934 only...makes it hard.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

October 31, 2004
10:46 PM

Post #1122243

Melody - The Daze is long gone. The daughter didn't do as good a job with it as her mother did - but Ebay helped to kill it too, like it is killing the shows.
I have 17 different patterns of Depression in various stages of completion - but my pride and joy is the pink Adam/Sierra butter lid which makes my pink Sierra set complete. Another favorite is green Cameo. I still need a lot of the expensive pieces in that set. Most people use Mauzy's Depression Glass books today instead of Florence's. My wife collects several elegant patterns of Fostoria and Cambridge. So our house is full of glass. Harold
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2004
11:30 PM

Post #1122329

There is several that I would like to start collecting. Does anyone know if Dancing Girl has been reproduced? I also like Iris and Lovebirds.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 1, 2004
12:15 AM

Post #1122446

Does anyone know if Dancing Girl has been reproduced?>> (Cameo) Only the salt & pepper and the glass is too thick and the green is too dark. There are small children's play dishes newly made but these are not strickly reproductions since smaller sizes were never made. Harold
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2004
12:19 AM

Post #1122453

I was wondering if Cameo was the same pattern. I think it is sometimes called Ballerina too.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

November 1, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #1122523

Cameo, Dancing Girl & Ballerina; one in the same. The only reproductions are shakers, which are poorly done & terrible colors. Childs dishes are being produced, but they were never made origionly.
Bernie

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2004
1:40 AM

Post #1122664

Hi there, I collect American Sweetheart-all white Monax. My grandmother left me a set of 6 and I have been adding to it for years. If anyone has any of the unusual pieces I am interested. My one daughter has started collecting Manhattan and the other one collects the crystal sandwich. BTW I have two sets of Salt and Pepper shakers so if anyone is interested in one set let me know.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 8:43 PM
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2004
3:38 AM

Post #1122887

If anyone has extra pieces of the pink Rose of Sharon or Cabbage Rose LMK. Christmas is coming and that is Mom's pattern.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #1146949

MsM. do have trouble finding many pieces of the Monax? I really like it, but I do not see much of it.
Teresa

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2004
3:45 PM

Post #1146979

Teresa, Monax is a bit hard to find. Most of the pieces that I have collected were found at the Antique show that Spencer's has in Louisville, KY on the New Years weekend. I love the transparency of the pieces and even though they look quite delicate they are just as durable as the pink and greens. Another thing I like about collecting it is that it has never been repoduced. So when I find a piece I don't worry that it is not authentic. My kitchen is country and they make a nice backdrop for some of my more colorful china.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2004
2:52 AM

Post #1151844

I have a collection of the Open Lace ore Old Colony as it is sometimes called. the only thing I do not have in the collection is the glasses and the cups. I use the Queen Mary cups and glasses with my set. I only use mine at Thanksgiving and wash them by hand. I don't have to worry about these being reproduced because they are so deligate with the laced edges.
I have collected them for about ten years now but I have so many now that I just don't bother anymore and they are so expensive.
I kind of wished I had started collecting a green pattern because they go with so much other dishes. I just like all the depression glass though. I love all the different patterns.
Sami
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2004
11:10 AM

Post #1152228

Sami, I am sure that makes a lovely table. I have admired it for a long time. I only recently started collecting tableware and it is expensive. Have a Happy Thanksgiving this year.
Sami
Corapeake, NC
(Zone 6b)

November 19, 2004
1:34 AM

Post #1153559

Thank you bluegrass425 and you have a Happy Thanksgiving too.

Sami

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2004
1:40 AM

Post #1153567

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I think I will use my American Sweetheart this year for dinner, (minus the salt and pepper and sugar bowl lid) If you don't use them they will just sit there forever till ya die and someone else will use them. LOL. I will post a picture of the table setting on the day after Thanksgiving.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2004
4:00 AM

Post #1153778

Go ahead and live a little. Hopefully you don't have as many kids as we do at Thanksgiving. I would be very nervous!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2004
6:50 AM

Post #1180242

I just signed on as a store on http://www.tias.com
In a short time you can find me & my for sale things there.
Looks like a great site!
I will be Country Gardens Antiques, of course!
Bernie
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2004
10:47 AM

Post #1180301

Congratulations, Bernie
I hope you do very well. Tias is a great site and I am sure the clientel is growing with internet surfing surging now. May you sell lots of items before Christmas.
Teresa
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2004
7:34 PM

Post #1210086

Hi, everyone...We collect..Pink Lace Edge..haha I should say..we used too..we have a lot...but now it is so costly...we had to stop...Just like everything else..it goes up and up...lol...Neat thread...dah just found it...getting old I guess...

Smiles..Diana

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 27, 2004
8:38 PM

Post #1210125

I might have a piece or 2 laying around. I will let you know.
Bernie
BetsyBug
Memphis, TN
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2005
4:41 PM

Post #1246373

I'll have some "Miss America" to sell after end of Feb...anyone interested - please let me know!
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2005
10:36 PM

Post #1264415

I collect American Sweetheart, Moeoux (the transparent milk color) I have service for 12 and need to replace a few dessert vowls and dessert plates. My mom shipped them to me when I lived in Calif but didnt pack them very well. Anyone having some or knows where I can get pieces let me know.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2005
7:57 PM

Post #1267607

I collect the American Sweetheart Monax, I have some extra 8" plates if you are interested email me.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2005
1:52 PM

Post #1419525

It is not depression glass, but from that era. Does anyone collect swanky swigs? The little cheese glasses?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2005
7:19 AM

Post #1663532

Bernie, I am interested in buying some Iris for my sister. I am clueless about the real thing. I know that it is one that has been reproduced. Any tips? The piece I am looking at is a pitcher.
Teresa

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2005
12:09 PM

Post #1663681

That is one pattern I don't do much with. It is not at all popular here.
I would go to the library or a book store & do some research. We have a Barnes & Nobles store that has a big stock of antique books for sale. Many times I've went there & looked through them to find what I needed.
Bernie
SO1
Spokane, WA

August 4, 2005
5:25 AM

Post #1670176

Teresa ---

found this link to an article by Gene Florence --- http://www.glassshow.com/arepro.html

about halfway down the first page (items listed alphabetically) is a section on iris with links to pics and more repro info.

hope this helps

Arod

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2005
8:54 PM

Post #1683580

Do you consider Heisey a depression glass? I think some sources do. My mother had an EXTENSIVE collection, most of which we sold at auction when we broke up her house, but everyone in the family has part of the collection now.

Ann
sassygranng
Milwaukee, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2005
4:13 AM

Post #1684424

Hi, ihave ruby depresion dishes they are squaremy father bought them a church rummage sale when I was in grade school and I'm 50 now can anyone tell me about them? ...thanks Sharon

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2005
5:58 AM

Post #1684518

The ruby dishes were made by Anchor-Hocking. They also came in Azur-ite(Light Blue), Forest Green, Ivory, Jade-ite, Milk White, & Pink. They were made between 1950 & 1954. The correct name is "Fire-King Charm".
They are in Gene Florence's book, "Glassware from the 40's, 50's, 60's.
As for the Heisey glass, that is considered "Elegant Glass". Usually very expensive.
Bernie
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2005
1:13 PM

Post #1720765

Does anyone know about Sandwich? I found a purple glass at the flea market. It is a tea glass with a foot. If I cannot find any to match, I will use it as a small vase.
Teresa
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1860270

Any one out there collect American
Sweetheart in the mouex (milky white) color? I need several dessert bowls, and can't fine them. I recieved mine from my grandmother,plus the family silver and linens. And I would like to replace the ones that were broken, Or can you tell me of a place where I can get them.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

November 7, 2005
1:47 AM

Post #1861169

Annabelle - go to ebay. There are presently 100 auctions featuring American Sweetheart Monax items. Several cereal bowls, but only the large Berry bowl. Lots of plates. But keep checking and they are bound to come up. Maybe you'll see some other pieces you need/want. You can cut down viewing so many items by searching just for American Sweetheart Monax bowl* (The * means you want to check for both bowl and bowls.) HTH. Harold
http://search.ebay.com/American-Sweetheart-Monax_W0QQfromZR40
xcrytonx
Visalia, CA

December 15, 2005
4:39 AM

Post #1924488

I use to collect the Dogwood in pink and green, thick and thin. I have approx 200 peices but I still lack the pitcher and glass set. I could get it on Ebay but thats no fun.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 15, 2005
12:28 PM

Post #1924660

Here's a site to check out; http://www.tias.com
Bernie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 8, 2006
3:51 AM

Post #2030132

Does anybody have Iris and Herringbone pattern of depression glass, in clear? Looking for dinner plates, and cups and saucers. Or if you don't have it, do you know of any sources where it is for sale?

Thanks for looking for me.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2006
8:50 AM

Post #2030280

I rather favor opalescent glass. Is it considered "depression glass?"

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 8, 2006
12:18 PM

Post #2030419

No.
Vee8ch
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2006
12:40 PM

Post #2030446

woodspirit ... Opalescent glass was first made in England in 1870. It became popular here in the USA around 1900. Opalescent glass is more valuable than Depression glass. I agree with you in that I prefer it over dglass but wow ... my pocketbook sure can't handle it! lol! Do you have a collection of O glass?
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2006
11:07 PM

Post #2141042

Hi, I just recently brought home a set of Patrician pattern depression glass. or maybe it's just pressed glass.. I get somewhat confused by the distinctions.

Is anyone familiar with this pattern?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2006
3:48 AM

Post #2141658

Patrician was a premium with some brand of flour. A 10" dinner plate was included in a 20 lb sack of flour to be used as a cake plate, so they are everywhere. Other pieces were given as bonuses to newspaper boys for getting new customers. It was made in pink, green, amber, & crystal. Amber was the give away & called Golden Glo.
It is depression glass.
Bernie
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2006
4:46 AM

Post #2141731

I collect the Mayfair, or Open Rose pattern, Anybody have glasses or cups for sale or trade. My DS, has clear Iris, and needs a few pieces, any one out there.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2006
9:14 AM

Post #2141814

Defoe, my Mom has a few pieces of Mayfair in pink. I would like to start collecting Iris, I belong to the Southern KY Iris Society, but I know that it is one pattern that has been reproduced and I am not that aware of the differences. My favorite is the Iris that is amber colored. I will be on the look out when I hit the antique stores around. I travel to TN to my sister's, so I go to Bowling Green area and North Nashville has some very good places.

Hi, Jazz I have only seen that in my books and at stores. I don't have any. What color did you buy? Lucky, a whole set!
I use Gene Florence's glass books, I love all the color photos.

Teresa in KY
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2142288

CG, Thanks for the info! Sounds fairly common.

Bluegrassmom, I didn't buy them, my mother had them. I am not sure I am going to keep them or not.(my 9yo loves them but she loves everything) However Dad isn't into the effort it would take to sell them so I was elected.

she had a lot of pressed glass also. Some different sized glass plates that look like grape or cabbage leaves (Probably grape now that i think about it) Some are green and others are clear..

Anyway..here's a pic of the patrician creamer just to make sure that the pattern is correct

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2006
2:28 PM

Post #2142299

Here is a little glass of a different pattern that she had a couple of.. can anyone ID it?

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2142324

My guess would be Florentine or maybe Madrid. Very pretty.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 27, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2143134

The glass is Florentine No 2, "Poppy No. 2". Hazel Atlas made it from 1932 - 1935. Value is $15 to $20.
Bernie
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2006
11:01 PM

Post #2143347

Wow.. I had gone and looked at "florentine: on ebay and it didn't look quite the same. Thanks CG, you know a lot about old glass~
dpoitras
Upstate, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7772482

I collect iris and herringbone in clear. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7773932

Hi, this is an old thread! I now have amber MADRID and Blueridge Pottery in the Apple pattern.

Teresa

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7773941

Do you need a full 8 place serving of Amber Madrid ? I have one.
HaroldS
Glendale, AZ

May 8, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7775743

Amber seems to be popular again. We sold recently at a DG show in Colorado, and amazingly sold more amber than other colors of Depression Glass, and also sold all the amber Fostoria glass we had . I am down to one box of amber from three not too long ago. (But no CG, I'm not buying any more glass at the moment.)

Bluegrassmom: What BR apple pattern do you have? They made several. I collect Quaker apple, which I started in 1953 by sending away for a Quaker Oats premium. I had a Quaker Oats box at one time that showed the offer. But haven't seen it for quite a while.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7776868

Hi, Bernie :)
No, I am good, I have the entire set.

Let me see about a link to my pattern. I love it. Even more because my set was a gift from my late Uncle that was 90. They were married on the same day Fed 22, 1944 with my parents and it was a wedding gift.

http://jamiro.home.mindspring.com/crabapple.html
velveteena
Seattle, WA

March 24, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8448611

Geez, Bernie. Thanks for letting me know that Patrician is EVERYWHERE! My mom had green Patrician (by Federal Glass), but after she died, we only found a few pieces...She had promised it to me, but had a way of discharging household goods to the church rummage sales (which I now have to attend to FIND the darned stuff!). Anyway, I seldom, if ever, see it around here (Seattle), but I did find quite the little treasure a few weeks ago. It was a child's version of Patrician---very cute, but kind of pricey. I'm sort of at the end of my pack ratting days (I keep telling myself), so resisted, and spent a bit less at the shop next door on things I can actually use---maybe. Still interested in the Patrician, but at least it's not life or death...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8448847

The Patrician that is abundant is amber dinner plates that came with a 50# sack of flower in the 30's ? & 40's.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8448959

Is Blueridge considered depression glass ? No?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 25, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8448971

I would think dinnerware.
Depression is all the clear things, pink, green, blue, amber, etc.
Some people include Fostoria & that kind of thing, but that is considered Elegant even though it's from the same time period.

I am getting a bookcase put together for my reference guides. Be nice to get them out of totes so I can use them again.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

April 11, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8489198

Bernie, thanks for clearing up the issue of the "abundance" of Patrician. You sound far more knowledgeable than most websites or books I've consulted. Also, I note that many dealers lack info, and just mark their goods as green depression glass, for example. I realize the field is vast, of course, but I appreciate that you have so much info tucked away in your brain. I am curious as to just how fragile these items now are, given their age. I have no idea how well glass ages---I'd kind of be scared of using some of my old canning jars for actual canning at this point...Anyhow, if anyone has seen a goodly supply of Depression glass, I'd like to know where. Do you suppose certain parts of the country had more of it than others? Sounds like it was dependent on distribution of products such as flour. Gina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM
Can anyone identify these? Terri1948 29 Apr 24, 2009 10:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America