Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Another interesting 'pillar...

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
QueenB
Shepherd, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2004
4:07 AM

Post #1100397

I wasn't really looking for him...I just happened to glance at the flowers when I was walking by them, and there it was, chomping out on what few flowers I have on the poor bush. The plant is Caesalpinia mexicana...I have no idea who the culprit eating it is. Any ideas? My husband and I thought it was camoflauged quite well for its preferences. :-)

Thumbnail by QueenB
Click the image for an enlarged view.

onalee
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2004
4:43 AM

Post #1100436

I don't know what he is, but he's certainly a purty one!

There used to be a site where you could look up pillars by their host plants, but I can't find it now . ..

Onalee
kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2004
5:30 AM

Post #1100491

Here is a site that gives a lot of information on caterpillars and their host plants, but it has not yer enabled me to trace your caterpillar. http://www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hostplants/
TamTam
Blue Springs, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2004
12:01 PM

Post #1100640

Definitely a pretty pillar. I had some last year that were pink - they were on my pink snapdragons...I wonder if they turn the color of whatever they're eating?
QueenB
Shepherd, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2004
12:29 PM

Post #1100661

I found a cool site called Bug Guide.Net, and I posted the photo there. It's been tenatively IDed as a morph of the Cloudless Sulphur. They DO take on the color of the flowers that they're eating. We thought it was too perfectly colored! :-))

I forgot to mention that this particular caterpillar likes Cassias and Sennas. I had looked up my Caesalpinia as a host plant, and it listed a couple of butterflies that are way south of me. I'm guessing since my plant is way out of it's natural zone, it was just a matter of time that a local would find it a yummy substitute...kind of like chicken vs. turkey, I guess.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2004 6:36 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America