Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Why are my rose blooms drooping?

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 6, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jardin
Annandale, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2004
11:18 PM

Post #1102901

One of my rose bushes has beautiful upright deep red rose buds, but after the buds open the blooms flop downward sometimes even crimping the stem. Any thoughts on what's causing this probelm? The plant appears to be healthy, lots of green leaves and stems with many buds. I have probably 50 other rose plants throughout my gardens and this is the only one with this characteristic. I use alphalfa , bone meal, epsom salts and a good fertilizer, but nothing changes. Suggestions?
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #1105036

Is it getting enough water?
jardin
Annandale, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2004
6:38 PM

Post #1105509

Cottage Rose,

Yes, it's getting enough water, has at least 10 hours of sun each day. That's why this is very perplexing because the bush and its leaves look very robust and healthy, the stems with buds are upright and sturdy, but the minute the bud opens fully the beautiful flowers flop over and hang downward. Just was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem...maybe it's a hybredizing problem.
ceedub
Whitby, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2004
2:59 PM

Post #1106645

I had this problem with a David Austin Rose - Tess of the Durbervilles, they have big, heavy flowers that just hang there looking at the ground-I hated it so gave the vine away to a friend. When I looked it up later online, it said that this feature was "romantic" - how can it be romantic if one can't see the flower???
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2004
4:18 PM

Post #1109900

Jardin, ...just a suggestion, you say the rose gets 10 hours of sun a day????????????? Red roses do funny things, particularly dark red ones,,,they can't reflect the heat off as quickly as lighter coloured blossoms, thus causing the wimpiness. "Mr. Lincoln"( a red Hybrid Tea), fares better in the hot sun...which contradicts this weakness all together. I wouldn't say that the application of nutrients is the cause, as sometimes this procedure is the culprit, (that is to say, overdosing of the above). ...so take it in stride, and happy gardening! Elaine
jardin
Annandale, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2004
12:54 AM

Post #1110516

Roselaine,

Thank you for the insights about the sun and the deep red blooms. You'll note my location says I live in Minneapolis, MN...actually I have 2 houses and this particular rose is planted at my Dallas address and yes, it gets beastly hot in the sun, especially in July, August and September. You may have hit the problem on the head!

I think I'll try moving it to another spot where I get good morning and early afternoon sun, but shade in the hottest parts of the day (later afternoon). Right now the bush has a lot of buds ready to open. I'll wait until they all bloom and then move it. It's worth a try. This is the only deep red rose in my collection all the others are shades of cherry, pinks, yellows and whites. Thanks again.!
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2004
1:25 PM

Post #1111198

you're welcome! Elaine

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America