Photo by Melody

Hoyas: My Carol Noel order just came in.

Communities > Forums > Hoyas
bookmark
Forum: HoyasReplies: 14, Views: 506
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dianne492
New Iberia, LA

October 20, 2004
6:04 PM

Post #1104066

Just beautiful and they were at a very good price..If she keep on offering quality plants at these prices she will corner the market! Bravo Carol,you out done yourself again..

Thank you,
Dianne
karen_nyc
New York, NY

October 21, 2004
1:16 AM

Post #1104592

Was very pleased with my first order too, and plan to order again. Mine have grown by leaps and bounds since I got them a few months ago. Not only that, I feel more confident that I know what I've got.
Sodapopkid111
Dennisport, MA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2004
2:31 AM

Post #1104705

What type of plants did you get from Carol?
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2004
2:52 AM

Post #1104721

Where can I find Carol???? Inquiring minds and all that... :~)
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

October 21, 2004
2:57 AM

Post #1104726

What all kinds did you get? I would like to see pics of some if you have any yet. I want to send an order, but must wait until next month so I need to dream until then. Ha.
Marcy
MaryEv
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2004
3:06 AM

Post #1104741

Kachinagirl, Carol is AloyaHoya2000, a frequent and very knowledgable contributor to this Forum.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2004 11:13 PM
Dianne492
New Iberia, LA

October 21, 2004
3:16 AM

Post #1104753

I bought silver fleck, full and beautiful...
Finlaysonii x incrassata...you guys need to get this one the leaves are just amazing...
Excavata..very nice thick leaves and Erythrostemma ..all are healthy and had great roots and for what I payed ,I would have payed double for way smaller plants...I bought noelle I say about two months ago from her and sp applegreen and my noelle has almost doubled in size and as far as that applegreen it reminds me of ruthie fast growing. I have pictures but I need to down size them,but I will be posting pictures soon...I found myself back on her website on her large plant list for sale...gonna have to go seek professional help..ha ha
Dianne

The Erythrostemma is Mindorensis..Never the less attractive foliage and very healthy.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2004 4:38 AM
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2004
5:17 AM

Post #1104846

The thing is, guys, that I just try to find answers for myself and then think..."Hey, this is just too good to keep myself, I gotta share it". I try to cite where my information comes from...and do when I can...it's mostly a memory thingy. I have been very lucky to have had some good friends like Chris Burton. Now that the friendship is not there (did you guess?) whatever I can learn I will try to pass along. Like Norma, who is there with her information...I am here to learn, too.

BTW - there are a lot of clones of H. finlaysonii X H. incrassata running around out there. I had a couple of them (ooops, and thought they were H. finlaysonii for the longest time). It IS a nice cross. H. cv. Jennifer is that cross too, but a different clone.

Thanks for the compliments. :o}}}
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

October 21, 2004
3:34 PM

Post #1105257

Does anyone know if the the finlaysonii ' Chanins Thout' (that sp. may be wrong) is one of those clones that is a cross with incrassata?
Marcy
Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2004
3:38 PM

Post #1105263

Thanks MaryEv...have chatted much with her, just didn't know her name. She's been a tremendous help in answering my Hoya questions! Have seen her website...awesome! Hello Carol...now I know who's behind the Aloha! Can't wait to expand my Hoya-clan through you!

Karen :~D
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2004
5:43 PM

Post #1105452

HI Marcy...

H. finlaysonii 'Chanin Thorut' was collected on a field trip into the forest in Thailand by Dr. Chanin Thorut) , sent to Chris Burton who then determined it was another clone of H. finlaysonii (I read this in The Hoyan). What she has decided it is today, I don't know. But I do know that the 'type' for H. finlaysonii is not as striking in markings as any of the hybrids of H. finlaysonii X H. incrassata. In fact, it is downright dull, but my plant is starting to put out really big leaves that are more attractive than the others...

OH...Dr. Thorut does say to grow H. finlaysonii like H. carnosa, but give it a bit more light than H. carnosa can live with...that H. carnosa can live in a closet, I swear!!!

:o}}
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

October 21, 2004
6:20 PM

Post #1105494

Thanks Carol. I wonder if it can go as cold as carnosa? I leave my carnosas out all winter (nights into the 40s), and they do fine. However, I have brought most of my others inside as I am not sure which ones would perish.
Marcy
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2004
6:23 PM

Post #1105498

Marcy...I don't think so... At least it isn't on the Cool Tolerant (lowest base temp. 50deg) on Liddle's Catalogue...40deg. is pushing it but yours seem to be happy...so...if it "ain't broke..."
Mairzee_dotes
Long Beach, CA

October 21, 2004
7:18 PM

Post #1105563

I don't think they would live if it STAYED in the 40s very long, but the key is that when it does dip into those low temps in the middle of the night, it never stays that way. It isn't long before the sun comes up & it often goes right back up into the 70s before noon. It also usually isn't quite that cold. Maybe just a few nights. More often it is in the high 40s or low 50s at night in the winter. It has gone even colder altho that is not the norm, but if it is predicted to freeze, I bring everything in & just set them around on the floor until morning. Fortunately that isn't often and not at all here in Long Beach last winter, altho other portions of S. Calif. did get frost. What is the coldest it's gets at night in Hawaii?
betty_boop1920
Denver, CO

October 6, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5637332

I also have 3 of Carol Noel's plants and cold not be happier. I just got started in Hoyas over a year ago and Carol has been a God Send. My mentor. When she was sending my plants she told me instead of mailing me money give it to DG another great thing she has done for me. I read the posts over and over.
Thanks Carol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM
Propagating Cuttings AlohaHoya 25 Sep 23, 2008 2:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America