Shade garden plants in Texas

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, I'm starting this... hope someone else isn't doing it at the same time!

With 2 live oaks and a huge magnolia, I have me some shade! I planted 2 japanese maples (coral bark and blood good). I ringed my live oak with monkey grass, then hosta in front of that. Under a bigger bed under the other live oak I had lots of caladium and pink impatients. I just now added jacobs ladder, lenten rose, lily-of-the-valley, bleeding hearts and a weeping bald cypress. I have seeds someone sent me- touch-me-nots and forget-me-nots. I also plan on adding some japanese painted ferns to this bed. I will get some pics up, but I have already pulled the caladiums and cut all my impatients for rooting. The other things I mentioned are really tiny still so it will be next Spring before I have something worth taking a picture of!

Ok, next?! :)

Jamie

(Zone 8b)

Best of luck with the lily of the valley - they are rather picky, if they grow they become almost a weed, if they don't like something they wont grow. I had an enormous patch in the UK, gave them to my neighbours on a regular basis but they never took!! Perhaps they didn't talk to them properly. :>) LOL They are really worth the effort though, the scent in spring is wonderful.
Your shade bed sounds lovely, the only shade we have is alongside the North wall of the house. I have planted Camelia and Azalea along there, and a honeysuckle actually on the wall.
I have also planted a Magnolia, an ash and a live oak, but it will be a year or two before they are giving much shade!
We are also growing a Wisteria as a standard and that is giving some dappled shade already, a lot of things have done better under it than the other young trees. I think a lot of things seem to like a bit of protection from that Texas sun, and the wisteria is such a thug it doesn't care.

Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

I have an ash that is spreading to far out and not enough up and I haven't been able to grow anything in ground under it. So here is my solution.

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Pville - I can relate to the containers under the tree. I have one anacua and 2 pecan trees in my back yard and that's the best way to get things to grow under them!

For a permanent bed I will be putting in on the north side of my house, against a red brick wall, I have been propagating:

- white blooming triangularis subsp. papilionacea oxalis http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/59874/index.html
- white Peter Pan Lilies of the Nile http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/64494/index.html
- 'Heart of Jesus'/'White Christmas' Caladium http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/57281/index.html
- 'Midnight' Elephant Ears http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/53958/index.html
- poinsettias http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/2006/index.html

What a great combination of shapes, colors, and textures that is gonna be Donna!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I started a shade bed last fall, but it has kind of been abandoned. This spring the chihuahua pups joined us and trampled and stomped and chewed on that bed. My big golden retriever never bothered it! After fighting it and getting upset I finally had to just walk away. So instead of clearing out the tons of Photinia leaves that fall into it and watering it constantly, it just sits there covered by leaves, half chewed, half stomped on. Hopefully the pups will be going back to where they came from this weekend - my husbands ex-wife's house, where their mom & dad are. Then I will possibly start visiting my back yard again.

The things that still seem to be hanging in: Autumn Fern is the best looking fern out of the 5 or so varieties. There is no sign of the Japanese Painted fern(though any "no sign" may be under leaves), no sign of the Southern Shield fern, little sign on the Southern Wood fern, one of the Holly ferns looks great but there is no sign of the other 3, little sign of the Christmas fern. I have Lenten and Christmas Rose (Helleborus) and I remeber seeing one Christmas Rose the other day. The two varieties of Cast Iron plant are hanging in though not with much growth. I think most of my hostas are limp, small, trampled, and somewhat chewed, but alive. Both Oxalis and both Coral Bells are also half buried by leaves, limp, and trampled, but alive.

Oh, the EEs are in a different area that gets morning sun 9 to 12 and are very happy. And I have Columbine that is still doing well for the second year with about an hour or two of sun. My Wax Begonias and Spider/Airplane plant only get a couple hours of sun (if even that) and have come back from the roots 2 years in a row.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Jamie,
You will have to let me know for sure how your Jacob's Ladder does this winter. I planted some when I first started my beds three years ago and they didn't make it through that first winter. They were beautiful, though!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is a bed in the front at the beginning of the growing season. I'm not going to plant all of those begonias and impatients next year. They completely cover my hostas and ferns. Plus, I've added to the hostas and ferns this year so there won't be as much room anyway.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

A new little shade bed. Don't know if it is going to make it or not, though, because apparently I don't have good drainage and it stays too wet. There are plants just like these on the left side of the fountain and they are all rotting. Just have to see what comes back next year.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the bed that I'm really working on for next year. I'm not using the annuals next year. They're pretty but I decided to do natural woodland type plants under this tree and it already looks pretty good. Besides, the annuals totally cover up everything else. Don't have a current picture but maybe can get one up next week. Besides the ferns and hostas that were already there, I have hydrangeas, bleeding heart vine growing up the tree, solomon's seal, helleborus, oxalis and elephant ears (don't think I'm going to use the ee next year). This month I have added bleeding heart, toad lily, heuchera, anemone, turtle head, a chinese ground orchid. Really hoping everything comes up next year. (All the new stuff is pretty small.)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 1:20 PM

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

At the risk of posting too much on this thread, just want to pass along one of the best online nurseries to buy from.
http://www.munchkinnursery.com/
Can't say enough good things about the owner, Gene.

Wow those are gorgeous trunnels. I know what ya mean re the annuals. They are great place holders but once I have something established the way I want it I'm to stingy with space to give any or much of it to annuals. But those begonias are gorgeous and just compliment the rest of that bed so well. You have to replant them each year? I've had begonias (and not the tubers) for 3-4 years now around a couple of trees that come back year after year.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Of course my begonias came back because , I don't really like them. :) I am kind of non-gardener I guess b/c there are plants that I don't like. No one ever seems to say that! I HATE nandina. Hate it. Mainly b/c I had to dig out unkept ugly ones from around the entire foundation of my house and it is almost impossible to completely remove them. I was told the kind I have are in the bamboo family so I guess that makes sense. I also don't like boxwood hedge or juniper. Wow! Feels good to confess. :)

Great pics Terrie! I will check out that nursery. I will also let y'all know what happens with my jacobs ladder. That's why I like Springhill (sort of)- if they don't make it through the winter I know I can get my $ back still.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Nandina is a weed! Plus, it is on the invasive lists because it is invading our forests. Yuck! I have 7 dwarf nandinas that I still have yet to remove. I tried dig one up last Spring and it was like shoving my shovel into rock. It would not budge.

I don't mind my begonia's coming back up because they are in a place that no one notices unless they look down as walking up to my porch. They are tucked under a tall Holly bush in a place I would have a hard time putting much effort into otherwise. It's nice to have at least something blooming there where I don't water or anything. Same with the Spider/Airplane plant that is there.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamielaws

That's the link to my webshots albums. It shows my whole nandina/yard demo ordeal! In one of the pictures of my front yard you can see where I tried to do it myself. I cut them down to the ground, poured Round Up on them, and then attempted to pick axe, dig, pull, etc. them out. Finally, when the arborist came to prune our 80 year old shade trees that had been neglected for the past 20 years, he offered to drive his stump grinder over them. And boy did he! 4-5 inches down. They stayed gone too. Except he couldn't get right up against the house so I had to dig those out. That's where I still have regrowth issues. I just dig down and get as much root as I can every time some "green" grows up.

Begonias do serve a purpose for sure! And I actually really like airplane plant, btw. I just prefer unusual gardens and people tend to do the same thing. Especially in the shade. You get the standard three- begonias, caladiums and impatients. For the record, I had a big ole bed of white caladiums and hot pink impatients this year and loved it! I just want something different. That said, we'll see what lives out of what I planted this fall. :)

Ok, I am SUCH a dork! I have those in my shutterfly album but not webshots. I do have some stuff out there, but not the landscape ones yet. I will add those this weekend and then I will really have pictures of what I just mentioned. Duh! Had a blonde moment!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 5:04 PM

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

The pics aren't there Jamie. Unless I am clueless and missing them. I see a Seeds folder, Dogs folder and Pond folder. Is it behind the pond? Or is the folder hidden?

Ok OK I confess....I hate:

Cannas
Vinca
Morning Glory
Ivy
In fact most vines

mia culpa mia culpa

but ya...that did feel good :-)

(Zone 8b)

Jacobs ladder never overwintered in the UK, but it self seeded everywhere and came up again from that. Moral - don't be too keen on the dead heading!!:>)

I tried Jacobs Ladder once. I figured since my last name is Jacobs I owed it a shot. I don't think mine even made it until winter.....just wilted and died within a couple of months :-(

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had maybe 5 begonias come back. I have never really liked them but they are one thing that does well around here for massed color. I hate boxwood shrubs. Actually, I hate all shrubs that are perfectly squared. There aren't too many other things I hate, except some holly shrubs that come up everywhere after they have been dug out years ago!

Deep South Texas, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful, trunnels!!

I'm curious - the first picture, what is the magenta flower?

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

dstartz,
In the first picture, that is white begonias in the front and impatiens behind them. That picture was taken in the spring and the grew three time that size during the summer!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Staci- I right after I posted that I realized I hadn't added those particular pictures to my Webshots. That's when I edited it to add that last paragraph! :) I will post again as soon as I update it.

Trunnels- I'm with ya on the boxwood! My neighbors have it as foundation plantings AND all around the perimeter of the front yard. Then a few more IN the yard. I told my mom it looks like a human size rat maze. :)

Pville- I love pretty much all vines. I just can't have many b/c I have mostly shade/part-shade gardening areas. The one section of fence I do have in full sun I chose to put climbing roses and not vines, but I still love them. But I'm with ya on the canas! :)

Jamie

Well I do like honeysuckle. We have one that is trying to occupy the same space as our rambler rose though. I'm gonna try to train it to grow through the old growth up the palm tree on the other side. We have also trained our bouganvilla as a climber along the back fence. But those dang morning glories and vinca (a ground cover that thinks it's a vine!) just get everywhere I don't want them to be. And they have no trouble with shade either LOL

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! That bouganvilla is gorgeous! I have mine in a container in pretty much full sun and it blooms like that too.

We planted that bougie in ground about 4 years ago now. The first couple of years we cut it back to ground level and mulched over it heavily for the winter. Now we just cut it back about half way and still mulch it at the roots for over winter. It is pretty spectacular when it is in full bloom. On the left size of that photo you can see just the edge of our yellow rambler rose. It is equally spectacular when it blooms. Too bad they don't both bloom at the same time.....it would be blinding...LOL

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Okay, I added the pictures to my Webshots. That link should be fine and it's called "Landscape Demolition 2003" or something like that. Heck, now I need to add updated pictures so y'all can see that I DID make some progress since then! The "before" and "after" in the picture titles are because I took a bunch just before they busted out the chainsaws and stump grinders, then I took a few after. I also took some mid-process. I was just stunned by the 8 foot tall pile of brush and tree trunks afterwards! It ran the entire length of the property and was just unreal. But anyway, now you can see why I'm so into shade gardening.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Not working yet, Jamie. I get the link, but when I get into the page, there are no thumbnails.

Which doesn't make sense because it says there are 27 photos in there.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 3:36 PM

(Zone 8b)

I thought it was just me! I get ' next picture loading' but nothing does. This odd because I can see the dog pics with no trouble at all!

It works fine for me. Try clearing your cache. If you tried to view it before she fixed it you are still pulling up the old version of that page.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

pville, you were able to go in and actually look at the pictures? Try it again. Even the link has disappeared for me and I did clear my cache.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamielaws

Okay- let's try it again! When I clicked on that first link I gave I also go to the page as it was before I added the new album. I haven't tried clearing my cache yet, but I think it's just too confusing so I am posting the link again. This one should get you there AND have the album added!

Sorry for the confusion. :)

(Zone 8b)

I think she fixed it its working now. No it wasn't a cache problem as the link wasn't there on the original page, and I had the page plus link. Never mind - works now so no worries.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Nope, it's not there. Do you have it listed as a public album?

yep I sure could....beautiful magnolia btw.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Darn, Jaime, I got to the demolition pictures but the individual pictures wouldn't load.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I had trouble with pics not loading too!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This is just ridiculous! I hate Webshots sometimes. Ok, when I saw that Cherishlife couldn't get to the album, I closed out of everything, reopened DG and tried to get to it via that link. Like her, I saw all the other albums, but not the landscape one. So then I tried it last night, and like you guys I saw the album but the pictures wouldn't load. So now I tried it (only difference is I'm on my work computer now) and it worked! As of now (10:30 central time on 11/1/04), I can get to it and it loads fine. Please let me know if you still can't get to it so I can contact Webshots. I have had problems before so I think I need to talk to them about this. There is no reason for it to not open and load for everyone. Grrr... Thanks for trying to look at least! Pville- that magnolia was full of yellow leaves when we moved in but we have deep fertilized it once (an arborist did it) and it's really green now. I think thinning it out helped too. Still not thrilled to have that kind of tree so close to my house, but I certainly won't cut it down!

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, Jamie. Still won't work for me and I am on my work computer.

(Zone 8b)

Still working fine for me, I'm home but cos everyone else is at work the connection is faster - maybe thats it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.