-
AuthorContent
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
3:11 AM

Post #1117734

Ok, I'm starting this... hope someone else isn't doing it at the same time!

With 2 live oaks and a huge magnolia, I have me some shade! I planted 2 japanese maples (coral bark and blood good). I ringed my live oak with monkey grass, then hosta in front of that. Under a bigger bed under the other live oak I had lots of caladium and pink impatients. I just now added jacobs ladder, lenten rose, lily-of-the-valley, bleeding hearts and a weeping bald cypress. I have seeds someone sent me- touch-me-nots and forget-me-nots. I also plan on adding some japanese painted ferns to this bed. I will get some pics up, but I have already pulled the caladiums and cut all my impatients for rooting. The other things I mentioned are really tiny still so it will be next Spring before I have something worth taking a picture of!

Ok, next?! :)

Jamie
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
3:57 AM

Post #1117814

Best of luck with the lily of the valley - they are rather picky, if they grow they become almost a weed, if they don't like something they wont grow. I had an enormous patch in the UK, gave them to my neighbours on a regular basis but they never took!! Perhaps they didn't talk to them properly. :>) LOL They are really worth the effort though, the scent in spring is wonderful.
Your shade bed sounds lovely, the only shade we have is alongside the North wall of the house. I have planted Camelia and Azalea along there, and a honeysuckle actually on the wall.
I have also planted a Magnolia, an ash and a live oak, but it will be a year or two before they are giving much shade!
We are also growing a Wisteria as a standard and that is giving some dappled shade already, a lot of things have done better under it than the other young trees. I think a lot of things seem to like a bit of protection from that Texas sun, and the wisteria is such a thug it doesn't care.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
6:42 AM

Post #1117945

I have an ash that is spreading to far out and not enough up and I haven't been able to grow anything in ground under it. So here is my solution.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2004
8:37 AM

Post #1117983

Pville - I can relate to the containers under the tree. I have one anacua and 2 pecan trees in my back yard and that's the best way to get things to grow under them!

For a permanent bed I will be putting in on the north side of my house, against a red brick wall, I have been propagating:

- white blooming triangularis subsp. papilionacea oxalis http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/59874/index.html
- white Peter Pan Lilies of the Nile http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/64494/index.html
- 'Heart of Jesus'/'White Christmas' Caladium http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/57281/index.html
- 'Midnight' Elephant Ears http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/53958/index.html
- poinsettias http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/2006/index.html
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
12:35 PM

Post #1118083

What a great combination of shapes, colors, and textures that is gonna be Donna!
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
4:19 PM

Post #1118388

Well, I started a shade bed last fall, but it has kind of been abandoned. This spring the chihuahua pups joined us and trampled and stomped and chewed on that bed. My big golden retriever never bothered it! After fighting it and getting upset I finally had to just walk away. So instead of clearing out the tons of Photinia leaves that fall into it and watering it constantly, it just sits there covered by leaves, half chewed, half stomped on. Hopefully the pups will be going back to where they came from this weekend - my husbands ex-wife's house, where their mom & dad are. Then I will possibly start visiting my back yard again.

The things that still seem to be hanging in: Autumn Fern is the best looking fern out of the 5 or so varieties. There is no sign of the Japanese Painted fern(though any "no sign" may be under leaves), no sign of the Southern Shield fern, little sign on the Southern Wood fern, one of the Holly ferns looks great but there is no sign of the other 3, little sign of the Christmas fern. I have Lenten and Christmas Rose (Helleborus) and I remeber seeing one Christmas Rose the other day. The two varieties of Cast Iron plant are hanging in though not with much growth. I think most of my hostas are limp, small, trampled, and somewhat chewed, but alive. Both Oxalis and both Coral Bells are also half buried by leaves, limp, and trampled, but alive.

Oh, the EEs are in a different area that gets morning sun 9 to 12 and are very happy. And I have Columbine that is still doing well for the second year with about an hour or two of sun. My Wax Begonias and Spider/Airplane plant only get a couple hours of sun (if even that) and have come back from the roots 2 years in a row.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
4:54 PM

Post #1118443

Jamie,
You will have to let me know for sure how your Jacob's Ladder does this winter. I planted some when I first started my beds three years ago and they didn't make it through that first winter. They were beautiful, though!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
5:35 PM

Post #1118520

Here is a bed in the front at the beginning of the growing season. I'm not going to plant all of those begonias and impatients next year. They completely cover my hostas and ferns. Plus, I've added to the hostas and ferns this year so there won't be as much room anyway.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
5:37 PM

Post #1118522

A new little shade bed. Don't know if it is going to make it or not, though, because apparently I don't have good drainage and it stays too wet. There are plants just like these on the left side of the fountain and they are all rotting. Just have to see what comes back next year.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
6:11 PM

Post #1118586

This is the bed that I'm really working on for next year. I'm not using the annuals next year. They're pretty but I decided to do natural woodland type plants under this tree and it already looks pretty good. Besides, the annuals totally cover up everything else. Don't have a current picture but maybe can get one up next week. Besides the ferns and hostas that were already there, I have hydrangeas, bleeding heart vine growing up the tree, solomon's seal, helleborus, oxalis and elephant ears (don't think I'm going to use the ee next year). This month I have added bleeding heart, toad lily, heuchera, anemone, turtle head, a chinese ground orchid. Really hoping everything comes up next year. (All the new stuff is pretty small.)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 1:20 PM
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
6:12 PM

Post #1118588

At the risk of posting too much on this thread, just want to pass along one of the best online nurseries to buy from.
http://www.munchkinnursery.com/
Can't say enough good things about the owner, Gene.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
6:58 PM

Post #1118660

Wow those are gorgeous trunnels. I know what ya mean re the annuals. They are great place holders but once I have something established the way I want it I'm to stingy with space to give any or much of it to annuals. But those begonias are gorgeous and just compliment the rest of that bed so well. You have to replant them each year? I've had begonias (and not the tubers) for 3-4 years now around a couple of trees that come back year after year.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
7:47 PM

Post #1118740

Of course my begonias came back because , I don't really like them. :) I am kind of non-gardener I guess b/c there are plants that I don't like. No one ever seems to say that! I HATE nandina. Hate it. Mainly b/c I had to dig out unkept ugly ones from around the entire foundation of my house and it is almost impossible to completely remove them. I was told the kind I have are in the bamboo family so I guess that makes sense. I also don't like boxwood hedge or juniper. Wow! Feels good to confess. :)

Great pics Terrie! I will check out that nursery. I will also let y'all know what happens with my jacobs ladder. That's why I like Springhill (sort of)- if they don't make it through the winter I know I can get my $ back still.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
8:07 PM

Post #1118769

Yes, Nandina is a weed! Plus, it is on the invasive lists because it is invading our forests. Yuck! I have 7 dwarf nandinas that I still have yet to remove. I tried dig one up last Spring and it was like shoving my shovel into rock. It would not budge.

I don't mind my begonia's coming back up because they are in a place that no one notices unless they look down as walking up to my porch. They are tucked under a tall Holly bush in a place I would have a hard time putting much effort into otherwise. It's nice to have at least something blooming there where I don't water or anything. Same with the Spider/Airplane plant that is there.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
9:01 PM

Post #1118836

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamielaws

That's the link to my webshots albums. It shows my whole nandina/yard demo ordeal! In one of the pictures of my front yard you can see where I tried to do it myself. I cut them down to the ground, poured Round Up on them, and then attempted to pick axe, dig, pull, etc. them out. Finally, when the arborist came to prune our 80 year old shade trees that had been neglected for the past 20 years, he offered to drive his stump grinder over them. And boy did he! 4-5 inches down. They stayed gone too. Except he couldn't get right up against the house so I had to dig those out. That's where I still have regrowth issues. I just dig down and get as much root as I can every time some "green" grows up.

Begonias do serve a purpose for sure! And I actually really like airplane plant, btw. I just prefer unusual gardens and people tend to do the same thing. Especially in the shade. You get the standard three- begonias, caladiums and impatients. For the record, I had a big ole bed of white caladiums and hot pink impatients this year and loved it! I just want something different. That said, we'll see what lives out of what I planted this fall. :)

Ok, I am SUCH a dork! I have those in my shutterfly album but not webshots. I do have some stuff out there, but not the landscape ones yet. I will add those this weekend and then I will really have pictures of what I just mentioned. Duh! Had a blonde moment!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 5:04 PM
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
9:07 PM

Post #1118846

The pics aren't there Jamie. Unless I am clueless and missing them. I see a Seeds folder, Dogs folder and Pond folder. Is it behind the pond? Or is the folder hidden?
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
10:39 PM

Post #1118949

Ok OK I confess...I hate:

Cannas
Vinca
Morning Glory
Ivy
In fact most vines

mia culpa mia culpa

but ya...that did feel good :-)
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
10:59 PM

Post #1118967

Jacobs ladder never overwintered in the UK, but it self seeded everywhere and came up again from that. Moral - don't be too keen on the dead heading!!:>)
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2004
11:08 PM

Post #1118976

I tried Jacobs Ladder once. I figured since my last name is Jacobs I owed it a shot. I don't think mine even made it until winter...just wilted and died within a couple of months :-(
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2004
11:33 PM

Post #1119009

I have had maybe 5 begonias come back. I have never really liked them but they are one thing that does well around here for massed color. I hate boxwood shrubs. Actually, I hate all shrubs that are perfectly squared. There aren't too many other things I hate, except some holly shrubs that come up everywhere after they have been dug out years ago!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2004
4:12 AM

Post #1119451

Beautiful, trunnels!!

I'm curious - the first picture, what is the magenta flower?
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2004
10:38 PM

Post #1120440

dstartz,
In the first picture, that is white begonias in the front and impatiens behind them. That picture was taken in the spring and the grew three time that size during the summer!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
2:14 PM

Post #1121395

Hey Staci- I right after I posted that I realized I hadn't added those particular pictures to my Webshots. That's when I edited it to add that last paragraph! :) I will post again as soon as I update it.

Trunnels- I'm with ya on the boxwood! My neighbors have it as foundation plantings AND all around the perimeter of the front yard. Then a few more IN the yard. I told my mom it looks like a human size rat maze. :)

Pville- I love pretty much all vines. I just can't have many b/c I have mostly shade/part-shade gardening areas. The one section of fence I do have in full sun I chose to put climbing roses and not vines, but I still love them. But I'm with ya on the canas! :)

Jamie
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
2:59 PM

Post #1121465

Well I do like honeysuckle. We have one that is trying to occupy the same space as our rambler rose though. I'm gonna try to train it to grow through the old growth up the palm tree on the other side. We have also trained our bouganvilla as a climber along the back fence. But those dang morning glories and vinca (a ground cover that thinks it's a vine!) just get everywhere I don't want them to be. And they have no trouble with shade either LOL
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:01 PM

Post #1121470

Wow! That bouganvilla is gorgeous! I have mine in a container in pretty much full sun and it blooms like that too.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
3:07 PM

Post #1121480

We planted that bougie in ground about 4 years ago now. The first couple of years we cut it back to ground level and mulched over it heavily for the winter. Now we just cut it back about half way and still mulch it at the roots for over winter. It is pretty spectacular when it is in full bloom. On the left size of that photo you can see just the edge of our yellow rambler rose. It is equally spectacular when it blooms. Too bad they don't both bloom at the same time...it would be blinding...LOL
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:08 PM

Post #1121482

Okay, I added the pictures to my Webshots. That link should be fine and it's called "Landscape Demolition 2003" or something like that. Heck, now I need to add updated pictures so y'all can see that I DID make some progress since then! The "before" and "after" in the picture titles are because I took a bunch just before they busted out the chainsaws and stump grinders, then I took a few after. I also took some mid-process. I was just stunned by the 8 foot tall pile of brush and tree trunks afterwards! It ran the entire length of the property and was just unreal. But anyway, now you can see why I'm so into shade gardening.
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
8:35 PM

Post #1122072

Not working yet, Jamie. I get the link, but when I get into the page, there are no thumbnails.

Which doesn't make sense because it says there are 27 photos in there.

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 3:36 PM
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
8:51 PM

Post #1122099

I thought it was just me! I get ' next picture loading' but nothing does. This odd because I can see the dog pics with no trouble at all!
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
8:56 PM

Post #1122102

It works fine for me. Try clearing your cache. If you tried to view it before she fixed it you are still pulling up the old version of that page.
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
9:10 PM

Post #1122125

pville, you were able to go in and actually look at the pictures? Try it again. Even the link has disappeared for me and I did clear my cache.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
9:11 PM

Post #1122128

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamielaws

Okay- let's try it again! When I clicked on that first link I gave I also go to the page as it was before I added the new album. I haven't tried clearing my cache yet, but I think it's just too confusing so I am posting the link again. This one should get you there AND have the album added!

Sorry for the confusion. :)
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
9:12 PM

Post #1122131

I think she fixed it its working now. No it wasn't a cache problem as the link wasn't there on the original page, and I had the page plus link. Never mind - works now so no worries.
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
9:13 PM

Post #1122133

Nope, it's not there. Do you have it listed as a public album?
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
9:17 PM

Post #1122141

yep I sure could...beautiful magnolia btw.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
1:50 AM

Post #1122685

Darn, Jaime, I got to the demolition pictures but the individual pictures wouldn't load.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
2:09 AM

Post #1122724

I had trouble with pics not loading too!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #1123551

This is just ridiculous! I hate Webshots sometimes. Ok, when I saw that Cherishlife couldn't get to the album, I closed out of everything, reopened DG and tried to get to it via that link. Like her, I saw all the other albums, but not the landscape one. So then I tried it last night, and like you guys I saw the album but the pictures wouldn't load. So now I tried it (only difference is I'm on my work computer now) and it worked! As of now (10:30 central time on 11/1/04), I can get to it and it loads fine. Please let me know if you still can't get to it so I can contact Webshots. I have had problems before so I think I need to talk to them about this. There is no reason for it to not open and load for everyone. Grrr... Thanks for trying to look at least! Pville- that magnolia was full of yellow leaves when we moved in but we have deep fertilized it once (an arborist did it) and it's really green now. I think thinning it out helped too. Still not thrilled to have that kind of tree so close to my house, but I certainly won't cut it down!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:18 PM

Post #1123665

Sorry, Jamie. Still won't work for me and I am on my work computer.
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
4:33 PM

Post #1123715

Still working fine for me, I'm home but cos everyone else is at work the connection is faster - maybe thats it?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
4:45 PM

Post #1123738

Its working for me now, Jamie. Is there a before of the magnolia? Wish I had one like that! There was a newly planted one here when we bought this place but, it didn't survive the winter.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
5:13 PM

Post #1123808

Still works fine for me...both the thumbnails and the full size. A few of them are somewhat slow in loading and I'm on DSL, so those with a slower connect could just be having their browser time out before it loads. Because webshots (and many others are free hosting sites, they get a lot of traffic on their bandwidth. Not much you can do about that.

I had a huge magnolia at my house in Virginia. It had been planted in a small strip of ground between my and my next door neighbors driveway and it is was pretty close to my house. Never had a bit of trouble with it even though a couple of other trees hit the roof over the years in storm or were struck by lightning.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
5:16 PM

Post #1123819

Well, I've tried several times. Guess it's just not gonna work for me. :-(
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
6:19 PM

Post #1123987

I suppose if some people can open it, Webshots will claim it isn't a problem on their end. But I am going to ask anyway- maybe there is something you can do from your computer to make it load. On the other albums I chose the "faster load" option as opposed to the "better quality." On this one I am pretty sure I forgot to change it to that option, so maybe it is taking them too long to load and your browsers are timing out? Anyway, I'll ask. Trunnels- I could email you the album via the "invite others to view the album" feature they have and see if that works for you. If you want to give me your email addy I can try that. LMK. I didn't mean to take over this thread with my Webshots issues. Sorry guys!

Pville- Don't know if you checked out my "pond" album on Webshots, but the pond is between the house and that magnolia. The crack in the pond happened as a result of the roots from that tree. DH stuck his fingers in the crack and could feel the root. I am going to patch it AND put in a liner anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem... at least not for a long time. But I am concerned about the roots affecting my foundation. The structural engineer told us to "just watch it" and look for signs of damage. He thinks the roots grow well below the concrete slab, but couldn't tell for sure. Anyway, we'll see. I hope he's right! The house was built in 1922- I have enough foundation issues without that tree giving me trouble. :)

All the "before" pictures are in that album- don't think there is a good one of the yellow leaves though. I was in a hurry to take them before they got to work and my digital camera isn't all that great!
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
7:07 PM

Post #1124089

I hear ya TG. I was always amazed that I didn't have problems with that magnolia in Virginia. Maybe just plain ole lucky. I have a much smaller tree in the front yard now that has to go because it is over the main water line and the roots have caused it to leak twice at the tune of a couple hundred dollars a pop each time it happened...not to mention what it did to my water bill that month!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
8:22 PM

Post #1124193

My pecan trees are right next to the back door and their roots grew through one of the little 1 inch water pipes that run up to the house. It did cost a couple hundred bucks to fix it! The roots just grew right through the pipe. I hate pecan trees- mine don't even produce so I really hate them! Because I live in a historic district, I am not allowed to remove any "mature landscape trees" without landmark commission approval. I told one of their members that if it comes to that and they say "no," they will be getting the bill each time I have to fix a pipe. :)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
8:26 PM

Post #1124200

Grrrrr!
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2004
9:04 PM

Post #1124258

There are ways of taking care of that. Girdle the tree at the base and it will die. Make sure you do it below the soil line so they can't see it.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
9:11 PM

Post #1124271

Oooohhhhh, you are so sneaky! I like it! My DH actually likes the nasty things so I think he will have to see another plumbing bill before he will agree to remove them. Our ordinance does allow for removal of diseased trees or trees that could be dangerous or "cause property damage." I have already looked it up! Honestly, I didn't get approval to do all that demo I did, which did involve tree removal. No one ever said anything. Not like they can make you put them back!

My pet peeve is the thoughtless planting of trees. Like they just took a one gallon tree, spun around in the yard, dropped it and planted it where it landed! As if they gave no thought to the mature size of the thing! We have a gorgeous, HUGE redbud, but it is less than a foot from the corner of our front porch. So it scrapes the roof and has lots of roots right at the base of the house. The arborist told us that tree is probably 30 years old and redbuds aren't long lived. But it still blooms and it isn't diseased. When it comes time to remove it, we will NOT be planting another tree that close to the house!
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
9:24 PM

Post #1124303

The webshots loaded for me just fine... And I wish I could take one of those huge trees off your hands!

We planted 7 trees over 7 years ago, and have just started to get shade. I think there is enough for 2 lawnchairs to sit in the shade for about 30 minutes... But someday... there will be plenty. AND we planted them far enough away from the house... as that is a pet peeve of ours to have them in the wrong place for mature size. Hope they make it 20 years now!
cherishlife
Pocola, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2004
9:24 PM

Post #1124304

You are exactly right. A lot of people give absolutely no thought whatsoever to where they are plopping that tree. I'm amazed at how many trees are planted right under power lines and then 10 years later, it has to be lopped off by the city tree trimmers because they are getting tangled up or are about to.
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
10:06 PM

Post #1124377

I actually LOVE all three of my big trees. I'm just not too fond of where they put the magnolia. My live oaks are a good distance from the house, but they do grow under (now over and through) the power lines. Even that isn't an issue if they are pruned as they grow. No one had ever done that to these trees so the big heavy branches just laid on top of the power lines. The electric company has installed three poles trying to lift the line out from under the branches. Thank God they didn't start hacking on the tree! The aborist we used cut what he could, but in order to keep the tree shape nice, he just cut limbs off the main limb that goes across the power line. That did significantly reduce the weight, but I am afraid of things like lightening striking the branch and crashing down on the power line. But those live oaks are gorgeous and provide good filtered light for my gardens. I am trying to locate the great grand kids of the couple who owned my house from 1926 - 1967 when the wife passed away. Researching the history of a building is as addictive as gardening so I have to watch myself or I spend all day in the library! Good winter activity though... :) Anyway, I am hoping to get info on various things, including old photographs that may show the outside and condition of the yard when they owned it. The arborist thinks the oaks were there from the time the house was built, but not too sure about the magnolia.

Jamie
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
10:46 PM

Post #1124457

I moved into my house 4 years ago. There was 35 foot cottonwood tree planted three foot from my house and a 45 foot sycamore planted right in the center of my back yard. I bought the house from the original owners who built it 31 years ago. When I asked them WHY those trees were where they were, the wife told me that she planted the one next to the house so that she could see it while sitting at her breakfast table and the one in the backyard just because she thought you were supposed to put a tree in the middle! Well, the year after I moved in, when I could save some money, I had both of them cut down. I still have two huge trees in the front, one red oak and one live oak, and a sweet gum tree that I planted 3 years ago. More trees in the back corners of my yard but at least I got those monster house killers out of there.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
10:55 PM

Post #1124474

oh don't even get me started on on new home builder landscaping. I swear if I ever by a to be built house I'm gonna specify, no landscaping, no trees, no turf, no nothing...just collect your garbage instead of burying it and cover everything with straw.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
1:01 AM

Post #1124740

Unbelieveably, this wasn't the builder who planted the trees. The homeowner planted baby trees herself. Those trees weren't the only things she planted that made no sense!
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2004
2:01 AM

Post #1124817

Tell her she has a good future as a home builder LOL
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
2:21 AM

Post #1124840

Well Terrie, there are a million things about this old house that have us shaking our heads and asking "why?" :) From the electrical work to the plumbing to the horrible paint job, Winnie the Pooh stickers on the hardwood floors, inappropriate trees, gawd awful nandina, etc. Why?!?! We have had some good laughs though. Let's just say this place was owned by a do-it-yourselfer who shouldn't have!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
7:41 PM

Post #1125979

OMG, Winnie the Pooh stickers on the hardwoods? LOL
Maybe it was a Winnie the Pooh cult!! tee hee
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
8:44 PM

Post #1126075

Ha! Seriously, two owners before us had a little boy and I think he did it. At least I hope it was a kid!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
10:23 PM

Post #1126210

Hey Jaime! I just found your email in my spam catcher. I love your house. You did a great job of re-landscaping and I am drooling over all of your shaded areas!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
10:42 PM

Post #1126233

Well you just saw the demo! It looks better now- but thanks! Maybe you can venture down from Plano and see it in person someday. I would love to see your garden! :) Hmmm... wonder why I was picked up as "spam" in your email? Anyway, glad you finally got to see the pictures.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
10:53 PM

Post #1126252

I would love to come see it, Jamie! And would also love to have you over to see my gardens. Unfortunately, they don't look so hot right now. But come spring . . . :-)

Oh and about the spam catcher, it is very sensitive here at work and it probably dumped you there because you were attaching a web link. You are "approved" now so it won't happen again.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2004 5:54 PM
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
11:51 PM

Post #1126340

Ha! I know what ya mean. Mine are kind of a wreck now too. Glad I'm off the spam list! :)
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 1, 2004
5:13 PM

Post #1173604

These are some of my plants growing in shade with no direct sun:

Red firespike, hosta (So Sweet), cyclamen (dig up the bulbs when they go dormant so that they do not rot), river fern, Japanese fern, autumn fern, lenten rose, sweet violet, wandering jew white, low fern, kaffir lily, hairy wandering jew (Tradescantia spathacea), white-flowered Wandering jew (Tradescantia fluminensi) - this comes up by itself, but is easily removed from places you do not want to grow), golden club moss, baby's tears

These have some morning sun and filtered shade in the afternoon:

Gingers:
Variegated Shell Ginger, Black Ginger 'Midnight', 'Elizabeth'

Begonia: tuberous begonias (protect during freezes), waxleaf begonias(bring baskets in during freezes, mulch over ones in the ground), hardy begonia, star begonia (Begonia heracleifolia - somewhat rare, native to Mexico - bring in during freezes), cane begonia (bring in during freezes)

Petunia: dwarf Mexican petunia (Katie and purple variety), red wild petunia (Ruellia elegans),
wild petunia (Ruellia humilis)

Salvia: sapphire carpet sage (electric blue), eye-lash sage, 'Coral Nymph' (Salvia coccinea), Sinaloa Sage (Salvia sinaloensis), Blue Anise Sage 'Black and Blue' (Salvia guaranitica)

Others: blue shade, liriope, rain lily, variegated hrydrangea, spider plants, pigeonberry, wild strawberry (Fragaria vesca), ), sweet violets, dwarf penta, shrimp plant, princess flower, four o'clocks, 'Mona Lavender' plectranthus, acuba, cala lily, Brazilian plume flower, geranium, kaffir lily, Chinese Fringe shrubs, woodland phlox, hairy wandering jew (Tradescantia spathacea), palmy, spikes, chameleon, several types of sedum, cast iron, coral bells, false freesia, water zinnia (Wedelia trilobata - can be invasive), golden club moss, oyster plant (Tradescantia spathacea - invasive in Fla., but I have never had a problem with it like I have with the purple heart which I hate unless I see it in someone else's yard ), white-flowered wandering jew (Tradescantia fluminensis), baby's tears, umbrella plant (Cyperus alternifolius), trailing chenille plant (in hanging basket - bring in during freezes), geranium (Regal) and other geraniums (bring in during freezes)

Fern: Tassel, Autumn, Japanese Holly, Japanese Painted, Indian holly, river

Annuals: stock, magilla perilla, cloeme, gerbera daisy, black-eyed Susan vine
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2004
6:49 PM

Post #1173731

Oh my gosh, Htop!! Show us some pics!!!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2005
10:37 PM

Post #1223148

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'vebeen reading your conversation. It's beginning to give me some hope that maybe I can actually get my shady front yard to look better. My back yard is very sunny and fun to plan. My front yard has shade from live oaks on one side and from a pecan on the other. It's all dry shade, but the pecan tree is the biggest challenge. I also have two raised beds and one has a window above it. I would really like to ask HTOP how much she waters her shade gardens. That's a wonderful list of plants, but I know I'm not going to have time or energy to do a lot of watering in the front.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 5, 2005
10:45 PM

Post #1223156

BTW dstartz, I talked to my mother-in-law about the geneology thing. She said the Startz married the Loeffler's, but they are also part of Tom's ancestry. I can't keep all these dead people straight, but she said she would check her records. Tom also has that info, but he hasn't had a chance to look at it yet.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2005
3:42 AM

Post #1236996

siverfluter, I am sorry that I forgot to add this thread to my watch list, so I did not see your question until now. I really don't have to water the shade plants (they are all in raised beds) that are in the ground a lot depending upon whether we receive sufficient rain. I have applied a lot of cypress mulch around the plants and I water them very deeply when I do water. I also water moisten the mulch. I would say about every 10 days or so. I have to water the hanging basket plants more than the in-ground plants. I usually water the baskets once a week, but in very hot weather more often if the temperatures are in the upper 90s and 100s. The firespike, geraniums, club moss, umbrella plant, chameleon plant, variegated hydrangea and calla lily need to be watered more often than the other plants. I have to give the annuals including impatiens, coleus and caladiums more water than the others dependig upon the heat. I have tried to group plants by watering needs which helps. Most of the shubs which include red tip photinia, cast iron, Chinese fringe, plumbago, acuba and nandina do not usually need supplemental water unless we are experiencing a drought.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2005
10:13 PM

Post #1241767

What are the trees that provide the shade? Are there any pecans?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 16, 2005
11:56 PM

Post #1241888

I have huge oak and crepe myrtle trees and one very large pomegranite tree that was supposed to be a drwarf shrub, but obviously wasn't. I also have 3 sweet olive trees, but nothing is planted in the flowerbed surrounding them. I don't have any pecan trees.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2005
8:31 PM

Post #1243273

You are blessed not to have a pecan tree to deal with. I love pecans, but I really think the trees should not be in peoples yards. The branch structure on this one is very strange. My husband actually talked one about cutting it down, because he was afraid one of the branches would break off and hit the house. The only thing I would miss is the shade because it is on the south side of the house. I think I would plant a red oak or something.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America