Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Lewisville Plant Swop - Some Pictures

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 120, Views: 786
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:29 PM

Post #1120322

Hi
As promised I took some pics at the plant swop today, I'm posting them here but will also link from the other forum.
The Garden Fairies were very hospitable and Richard and I had a great time. We came home loaded with plants and have spent all afternoon finding them homes. Great Happening! and we are looking forward to the next one already.
The name tags were a really super effort girls, the first picture is of mine just to show how much hard work you put into them.
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:31 PM

Post #1120325

One of the garden fairies or is it fairies at the bottom of the garden?
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:32 PM

Post #1120327

Setting up
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:33 PM

Post #1120329

Making a selection
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:34 PM

Post #1120331

The trade
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:37 PM

Post #1120333

More general view of the scene. It got quite busy. I hope everyone got home safely.
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
8:38 PM

Post #1120337

This spider joined us in the DG corner!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2004
8:59 PM

Post #1120355

Wow, Carol, that was quick! Thanks for posting the pics. My daughter and I had a great time. It was such a beautiful day for our little Roundup and I loved meeting my DG friends in person. Really makes it more personal to talk to you guys now. :-) I swore I wasn't going to come home with anything but darn if I didn't bring some coral bells, japanese anemone, a bunch of seeds and a vine from Carol (Cajun2) that I'm not even sure what it is! Carol, was it called Fi Tu or something like that? Will have to look it up. Aimee (daughter) got a couple of rose cuttings, mexican petunias, sedum, lambs ear and lantana and I don't know what else, but she is just getting started and has full sun so it was really nice for her to get a few things. We stopped on the way home at the Home Depot Garden Center and I ended up buying her one of the Knock Out roses like the one given as a door price. It was on sale and I paid only $3.50!
Again, it was so great to meet all of you in person! Got to run to the store so will talk to ya'll later!!
Terrie
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2004
9:26 PM

Post #1120378

Great photos. Looks like a good turnout and nice location. Thanks so much for sharing.
jdee
Paris, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2004
11:01 PM

Post #1120474

Hey everyone. It looks like all of you had a great time. I think I would like to go to the next one.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:12 AM

Post #1120558

Here is some more photos of the Round-up
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:14 AM

Post #1120564

# 2
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:16 AM

Post #1120567

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:17 AM

Post #1120569

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:18 AM

Post #1120574

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:19 AM

Post #1120577

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:20 AM

Post #1120578

#7 the last one

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
12:26 AM

Post #1120585

Looks like it was a good time. I am so sorry I had to miss this one but I can not drive yet after this silly knee operation..Make sure I know about the next one and I will be sure to be there.
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #1120676

Great pictures Ted.
Jdee, you should if you can, theres nothing like talking to someone who grows the plant with it in your hand. You can see what they are talking about then.
We had a great time and really enjoyed the typical Texas hospitality. I don't want to miss the next one either!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
1:29 AM

Post #1120682

I am so sorry I missed this one, too! And, that is because I need a brain operation. I don't think I even came close to finding the swap. My impression was that it was off Main Street in downtown Lewiston and we saw nothing that looked like the area in the photos. Where did I go wrong?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2004
1:49 AM

Post #1120716

Bless your heart John, didn't you have a female with you? I know how much you were looking forward to this. Please tell us the brain surgery thing was a lousy joke. You take male abuse so well, we cant afford to lose you.(;>)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
2:04 AM

Post #1120736

Yeah, I did have a female with me and was severly abused and was told many times where to go! Every dog will have his day they say. Today wasn't my day!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
2:06 AM

Post #1120740

Oh, John, I wished we had given each other our cell phone numbers so we could have called if lost. We will do it again soon, maybe end of February, first of March. Hopefully we can have a lot more DGer's if we have more notice. So sorry you got lost.
Terrie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
2:15 AM

Post #1120763

Nothing new for me when I go to the Metroplex. Next time we will need some sort of fail-safe system for people like me! I was really looking forward to meeting ya'll face to face. Bummer!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
2:22 AM

Post #1120782

John,
How far did you have to drive? Did you do something else while here or did you just turn around and go home?
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
2:24 AM

Post #1120786

We were looking forward to meeting you to John, as you say Bummer! Next time we will have to plan a better contact system just in case someone goes astray.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
2:59 AM

Post #1120851

Well, Terrie, just checked the trip odometer and we did 166 mi. today. Ended up at a IHOP for a really crummy brunch. Argued alot and just generally had a bad day. Oh well, these things happen! Tomorrow won't be much better. There saying 100% chance of rain. I don't mind rain but, I need to work off some of my frustration. Maybe I'll pick a fight with my neighbor.

Carol, I saw a cell phone in one of Ted's fotos. Wish I'd known his number!
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:04 AM

Post #1120865

John,
Watching the weather now. A very bad storm is going to hit Tarrant county within minutes. I think that is were Carol (Cajun2) lives. What county are you in? I think we are supposed to get heavy storms tonight and tomorrow.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
3:11 AM

Post #1120871

Grayson County. We have had t-storms most of the evening. Not severe though, so far anyway.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:16 AM

Post #1120879

Really thundering here but no big rains yet. I just went out and brought my snowbank brug up on my covered patio so it wouldn't get beat to death. I just got it a couple of weeks ago and it has really grown. Don't want to take the chance of losing it!!
okus

(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
3:22 AM

Post #1120887

Its really thundering here - North Tarrant County- and we have just had a severe weather warning - quarter size hail expected about 10.30. My poor new plants!! I'm glad it didn't happen earlier in the day and wreck the roundup though.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:30 AM

Post #1120900

Me, too, Carol. I put my new babies up on the deck under cover. I'm sure my brugs that are in the ground will take a beating which makes me sick since they are full of blooms right now.

Staci,
Yoo hoo!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
3:33 AM

Post #1120906

Don't know anything about brugs but, I figure on learning more during the "off" season b/c so many DG'ers are into them.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
3:44 AM

Post #1120920

John, this was my first year. If you start watching the brug forum, you'll probably get hooked too. They are persnickity but worth it when those big blooms show up!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
3:48 AM

Post #1120932

Thats the main part of the plan.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
12:02 PM

Post #1121221

John I can supply you with starts of brugs. Will be down your way in march to help Eyes of Texas in Collensvillle pack up canna's to ship out for the canna co-op. I will start some for you. I have 13 different ones. Ted
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
12:56 PM

Post #1121276

What a great group of gardeners. I enjoyed the swap so very much. Thanks to all of you for the great plants I received. Would the lovely lady in the LSU shirt please send me an e-mail? You gave me two dwarf canna, and I like to keep a journal with the plants and who gave them to me. It was near the end of the swap, and I forgot to get your name.

Adeline

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2004
1:03 PM

Post #1121288

Oops! Before I forget... here's the link to the cool HERB vine I was passing out left and right at the swap!

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/1030/index.html

Courtesy of flowerjunkie's GENEROUS trade ; )

Will write more after I read all your posts!
It was sooooooo cooooool to meet all my DG buddies! Had a BLAST!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2004
1:20 PM

Post #1121316

Ted your a sweetheart to do that for John. John, as soon as iget this cutting, rooting, and shiping of such down I'll send you some of my two Trumpets.
TXMel
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2004
1:51 PM

Post #1121364

I see why it was so popular now...

A climbing vine, with a huge, perennial root. Used as a sexual tonic for men and to help build blood. Tonic, laxative, antispasmodic, antibacterial used in China to treat dizziness tetanus, cramps, prematurely gray hair, and to increase mental clarity. Roots are used to restore blood, liver and kidneys.

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2004
3:56 PM

Post #1121563

So nice to see all the pics! It was good to see you and Janet again Ted. You dropped one of the Skyhawk Rhizomes when you were checking out the Lantana, I will save it for you. John, I can start you some Jamaican Yellow, and Ecuedor Pink Brugs...and if you're into tropicals, I still have some of the giant cannas to cull out. LMK. You're close enough I could almost catapult them to you. I pass by Gordonville when I go to Ted's, and his house is about 35 minutes from me, and I think about 20-25 minutes from you.

"eyes"
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
5:48 PM

Post #1121789

I am trying to upload pictures I took, but am failing. Would someone tell me how to do so, please.

Adeline
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
5:57 PM

Post #1121796

Adeline, Just click on the browse button below the posting box, then locate the image you want to post on your computer and then click send.

Like so.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
7:42 PM

Post #1121973

I posted some pics in the Roundup Pictures forum so that all of DG would see. Good or bad, I don't know. ;-) Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/466044/
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #1121987

Where are you staci? I don't recognize you without your red raincoat...LOL
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2004
8:34 PM

Post #1122071

Well, no rain so I decided to leave it at home. :) The only pic my daughter took of me, I have my eyes closed and my mouth open - not very flattering. I am in a picture above that Ted took - #3

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2004
9:18 PM

Post #1122145

Just now getting a chance to finish reading all the posts and answer a couple ; )
Terrie, yes I'm in Tarrant County and we did get thunderstorms, but apparently WE didn't get a real beating here. I hadn't had a chance to get my new babies in the ground before the storm and they're just fine today.

Adeline, I'm the one who gave you the Dwarf Cannas toward the end. LMK if I can give you more information.

Eyes, I don't remember meeting you. Did I? Can you give me a reminder, if so?

OH! I almost forgot... when we were getting ready to leave, Terrie & I and I think Staci were talking about reserving the same spot for another RU between now and spring. I think we were saying like February/March. I got the guy's card who runs the place and he said "any time!" So I guess if we just decide when would be best, I can call and set it up. Hopefully having enough time to get it put together right will give us a better turn out. Although I think for impromptu, we DGers did ok!

Thanks again, Dee for the name tag holders! They were so nice!

John, we sure missed meeting you and your bride :-)) I didn't realized until we were missing you that I wasn't the only one who thought my name should be "imway2dumb2" *grin* Dee has both your name tags for next time!

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 4:22 PM
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
1:20 AM

Post #1122597

This was my first swap and I had a blast! I want to thank everyone for great photos, great, plants, great food and great people. I was very busy today planting.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
1:29 AM

Post #1122630

..., :-)
DeeCline
Howe, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
4:56 AM

Post #1122980

I agree with Siggy, it was a blast and such a great time all because of great people. So glad I joined DG. It is pouring here now, just finished today getting everything planted. Didn't realize I got so many mexican petunias, not sure who was giving them away but thank you; thanks to everyone for so many different plants. What a generous group. Can't wait to plant some of the seeds in the spring.

Great pictures Ted!

Looking forward to the next one!

sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
2:22 PM

Post #1123354

If they were the 'Dwarf Katies' Dee, it was possibly me. I gave them out in bunches, because they look better as they make a mound, or if you place them together to start with.

Siggy, did I give you anything? I am trying to remember who from Dave's got my plants so I can check on them. :) All of mine had White Vinyl blinds tags written with pencil.

I am so glad we got together. I had lots of fun too. It was so nice to be able to meet so many people from DG. Of course, I did not plant anything Saturday afternoon (too tired) or Sunday (catching up on housework) and I'll probably regret it. Hopefully I can get out there first thing next weekend.

Zoe and I took a couple of the trails around after we cleaned up. We heard something large, probably a bobcat or coyote, behind a wall of brush, trees and vines, but never saw him. I wanted to move in, but Zoe was scared so we stayed back until he was gone. And we heard lotsa bunnies in brush piles though we could never get a good look at them. The guy who manages the place said if you come out early in the morning you will almost always see a coyote out. Also if you come in after dark and go down to the creek, you almost always see beavers. Pretty cool!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
2:27 PM

Post #1123361

Tips like that can lead to wildelife fotos!
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
2:33 PM

Post #1123383

He also said they had an invasion by a large Bull Bison a few weeks ago! He was out and about with a school party at the time - not something I'd enjoy being too close to but must be an unforgetable experience!! LOL
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
2:37 PM

Post #1123417

Where did he come from?
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
2:39 PM

Post #1123420

Apparantly there is a ranch up the road about a mile or so away and he must have escaped from there.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
2:47 PM

Post #1123462

Cool! A blast from the past.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
3:32 PM

Post #1123559

He told Zoe and I the story about the Buffalo. At first I thought it was funny, the way he told the story, but it became obvious how serious it was. One of the fathers of some kids is a well known lawyer and they were a little worried. It was a pretty big deal for the district and they are glad the press did not get a hold of the story and run with it.

He said every time someone would take pictures at the swap, he was worried it was the press. LOL Seriously, it sounded pretty scary. They actually closed the place for a week until the two males at a ranch across the creek had been moved. Basically, the ranch owners put a young male in with this male that escaped, a few days before he escaped. The big male had not been very interested in mating and they were hoping the competition would encourage him. Instead he pushed the young male out through the fence, and ended up running off himself.

The guy that teaches and runs the place (Is John his name Carol? - I have his card but it's at home) said he was talking to a group of families out on a trail. The bull came up to John and put his head down and snorted and he quietly told the parents and kids to back out and leave. They did not get far enough away and after John got away the bull actually came right up on one of the moms who got her hair stuck in some brush and was sitting still against a tree and did the same thing to her. John untangled her and they backed out and hid in the classroom until animal control and the assistant superintendent came and released them.

okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
3:46 PM

Post #1123590

Yes I think it was John.
It was a good story to listen to and no one got hurt, but it could have been very different.
Its one of the pluses of places like that that kids can get a feel for how wild nature actually is, ( though perhaps not too close an experience LOL). Modern kids are so used to everything being canned and prepacketed that they have little perception of the dangers and interest of the untamed wild.
Back in the UK they take city kids on farm visits to demonstrate that milk comes from a cow and doesn't come out in bottles, as some have been known to beleive! Because I bred dogs, and we often had visiting ladies to our Champions, my kids didn't need the birds and bees explained, but some of their friends were overcome with curiosity at times!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
3:54 PM

Post #1123610

Good story!
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:07 PM

Post #1123638

It was interesting, John. My daughter thought it was really cool too. She was telling him how there are buffalos across from her great grandparents place, when he was reminded of the story. Of course then we went on the second walk and she heard the large animal in the bushes. Kinda scary for her all together. She really wants to come back out there again and walk the trails so it did not scare her off. I love walking the trails at the Heard Natural Center in McKinney during different seasons, so I want to go walk the trails again next when all the leaves are gone and I can bird watch. Accept for the trails cut through, the whole area in very natural.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:12 PM

Post #1123647

Wow, that is very interesting. Wish Aimee and I had taken time to walk around with you guys, Staci. BTW, I didn't get anything planted this weekend either. Hopefully weather will be nice next weekend. Hope we can all make it at the next Roundup (maybe March 5th or 6th?). There are so many Texans that live in the northern area of Texas (and those in southern Oklahoma) that we should be able to have a big one! When do you guys think we should start planning?
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
4:12 PM

Post #1123648

Help!
At the swop someone gave me a packet of seed that is labelled Tropical Blood(?) Weed, no picture and I can't find it in the database and can't remember who gave it to me either - you were all so generous. Does anyone know what it is? - I'm trying to plan where what goes for the spring.
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
4:15 PM

Post #1123656

Sweezel we had some seed from you - hardy hibiscus in two varieties. I'll keep you posted on how they do. Oh nearly forgot and the Cypress Vine.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2004 11:16 AM
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:16 PM

Post #1123660

Not me, Carol. Sounds interesting, though!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
4:17 PM

Post #1123663

Now Terrie, now?
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:19 PM

Post #1123672

I was thinking maybe the first of January? That would give us two months.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
4:21 PM

Post #1123677

I'm game!
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
4:23 PM

Post #1123684

New years day? won't everyone be hungover or don't Texans do Hogmanay?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
4:27 PM

Post #1123698

I imbibe very little these days. I leave New Year's Eve to the amatures.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:51 PM

Post #1123753

Maybe "Tropical Milkweed"? That is another name for Mexican Milkweed. Are the seeds brown and flat. Here is a picture of them in a pod. http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/33647/
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
4:59 PM

Post #1123781

LOL Carol. I didn't really mean January 1st, just the first part of January. Besides, I'm not good as a leader or planner so I'm not making any decisions!!
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
5:08 PM

Post #1123796

I had some of those this year, Asclepias curassavica. Look very much like butterfly weed, A. tuberosa but, am told they will not survive the winter here so should be treated as an annual.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
5:18 PM

Post #1123826

Hogmanay? Splain dat one Lucy.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
5:18 PM

Post #1123829

Glad you asked because I didn't understand it either! :-))
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
5:20 PM

Post #1123836

Well, don't pull them up John, because unless we have a hard winter the roots could survive! I collected some seeds for this back in May and hope to have some next year. :)
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
5:27 PM

Post #1123862

So did I, Staci. And, I won't although 'they' are predicting a cold wet winter for us! Snow?
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
7:08 PM

Post #1124092

Snow???
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
7:10 PM

Post #1124094

Hogmanay is what the Scots call New Years Eve, its their big celebration rather than Christmas. They go out 'First Footing" (being the first visitor of the New Year) round friends and neighbours. A friendly "First Foot" is a lucky omen for the year ahead and should bring fuel ( a lump of coal) and food ( a green leaf) with them. For this they are rewarded by the host with a 'wee dram o' the hard stuff" (Whisky) to keep out the cold. As the night progresses they get more and more warm as you might say. Jan 1 is a public holiday and has been in Scotland for time imemorial, because no one was fit to work anyway!! LOL

I think you have nailed my mystery seeds they look just like the picture, so thats Spring bedding planting really then.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
7:20 PM

Post #1124116

Oh man...I wanna Hogmanay! That sounds like a blast. Actually somewhat similar to a German custom we use to observe on Christmas day. In my family (German on my mother's side) Christmas Eve was always when the family celebrated Christmas, Traditional family dinner, then fts were opened, the advent wreath burned for the final time. Chirstmas songs around the piano, and my mother's fabulous Christmas cookies, Christmas Day was more of the time to go out and visit friends and neighbors or they would visit you, bring some goodies, have a drink or two, etc. It was like an open house or a progressive dinner but with mostly appetizers and desserts.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
7:25 PM

Post #1124126

Carol, what a great tradition! Too bad we aren't all closer to each other so we could have a DG Hogmanay! BTW, if everyone goes to visit, who stays home to greet the visitors?
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
7:34 PM

Post #1124143

:-)
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #1124162

Well if they are all together I guess the home owner nips round the back to let the first feet in!!! LOL
Those with wee kids and the elderly stay home and let the others come to them, second and third feet are just as welcome! Once you've been first footed you can join in and visit everyone else too.
I'm not Scots by the way but my Grandparents were from the North of England and we had a modified version, but we did Christmas too. Xmas Eve was for parties, we then had a short watch night service in church through the midnight hour, Christmas day was gifts in the morning, a huge lunch, and listen to the Queens speech to the nation on the radio mid afternoon, (no TV in my youth) and visit cousins etc for tea. Boxing Day cousins etc visited us.
Boxing Day, the day after Xmas Day, was traditionally the servants day off to visit their own families after having looked after the "big house folk" on the day itself. Its called Boxing Day because the master and mistress gave each of their staff a Christmas Box (present) in the morning before they went off. ( The present was usually a new uniform for next year!)
Both my grandparents were "in service" at the big house in the village in their youth, so thats inside info!
A SG Hogmanay sounds fun - trouble is with all that driving we would all get nicked for DWI !!
texasgarden
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 1, 2004
9:52 PM

Post #1124354

I'm a little late, but I'm sorry I missed it too! I was going to go, but my husband asked out of the blue if we could go see my parent's new house in OK since he hasn't seen it yet. A man asking to go to his in-laws?! Couldn't pass that up! But seriously, he rarely has enough of a break during school to take an entire day off from studying, so we went to visit them.
John- you crack me up! My in-laws go to this wood carving class in Arkansas every year. Well, my MIL said that it's "always the weekend after I give my mid-term in my Spanish class" so they went that weekend. Got up at 3:30 in the morning and drove 4 hours to this place. Guess what? It was the previous weekend! So they just turned around and drove home. I cannot believe she didn't make sure it was the correct weekend- as if they coordinate it with her school schedule! Good stuff man.
Well, y'all let me know when the next swap is!

Jamie
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2004
10:12 PM

Post #1124392

She is a kindred spirit.
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
2:17 AM

Post #1124834

Sweezel, I don't think I left with any of your plants. I just bought and planted a bunch of katy mexican petunias a few months ago. I actually didn't acquire that many plants but my friend Laura (who came with me) stocked up. My Tahoe was full!
And thanks again for all the great stuff from everybody :) I don't remember who gave the old Niel Sperry Mags but I've been reading them. In fact I went ahead and bought a subscription.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2004
12:25 PM

Post #1125227

Siggy, that reminds me to order his garden calandar. Thanks!
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2004
2:28 PM

Post #1125494

I picked up some sweet pea seeds at the swap. Any advice for growing successfull fall sweet peas?

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2004
7:36 PM

Post #1129149

Well, David... I tried looking up info on your Sweet Peas, but I'm not sure I have all the answers... well, in fact I KNOW I don't have all the answers... Anyway, this is what I found:

Sow the seeds outdoors in fall about 1/4" deep in peaty soil.
They need 20-30 days to germinate at temps between 55 & 65 degrees.

Not sure if we have that kind of time left in the season, but you might have some luck. If not, just put 'em in the ground and wait to see them in the spring.

-----------------
I FINALLY got all my plants in the ground from the swap on Tuesday (yes, in the rain!) ~ feels SO good to have so much done for the season! Whew! I'd been dragging it out for months, even though if you'd ask my DH he'd say I was out there 25/8 (lol). right.

Hope you're all doing well. Yes, I'm ready to get started planning LOL ~ well, truthfully NOT but always up for a party! even though I haven't actually haven't "partied" in oh so many years! ha! Funny what plant people call a party, isn't it? hehe
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2004
7:49 PM

Post #1129159

I am going to give sweat peas a shot. Also I just planted some hollyhock seedlings in the ground. I don't know if they'll survive the winter. Planting seeds sure is fun.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2004
8:12 PM

Post #1129180

I'm going to wait till late winter and start some in peat pots indoors and set 'um out in mid March. They can handle quite a bit of frost. Are you going with the tall or short ones?
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2004
8:53 PM

Post #1129240

Well I have both packets. But the ones I started are the tall ones. They are what I really want growing. Then I'll save the rest till later then. I understand it takes them a year to bloom? That's why I was trying to jump start the process.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2004
10:19 PM

Post #1129354

They are cool season annuals.
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 4, 2004
10:51 PM

Post #1129390

They will bloom the same year you plant them if you plant in the spring. They are not pereenial so you will need to save some seed and start over the year after. If you let them set seed they will stop blooming though so you need to leave it late to harvest your seed crop.
Love them to bits the scent is so gorgeous.
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2004
11:03 PM

Post #1129408

So the ones I am growing now, the seedlings are doomed? I thought they were perenial :-(
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2004
11:37 PM

Post #1129443

Sweezel Will tell you later what plants I got. Am busy now remodeling my mothers bath and she has no water. So will try to catch up as soon as possible.

Thanks Ted
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2004
1:35 AM

Post #1129602

Pville: Thanks for the tip on uploading pictures. Hopefully, I can do that on Sunday.

Cajan: I am so glad to know who gave me the dwarf canna.

When I have a chance, I truly enjoy reading this forum and all the great discussions.

As of this moment, I am still palling on going to Trinity on Saturday.

See y'all.

Adeline
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2004
2:33 PM

Post #1130161

Siggy,
Are you talking about the sweet pea or the hollyhocks that you thought were perennial? I have read that Hollyhocks are biennial and should be sown in the fall.
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 5, 2004
6:20 PM

Post #1130502

You can plant sweetpeas in either fall or spring, which ever you do they will flower that summer. There is a perennial sweetpea its a bluey purple flower, grows well in shade too. The multicoloured ones that are heavily scented and good for cutting are the annuals. They need a fair bit of sun to do well, but not I suspect full Texas afternoon sun!!
Hollyhocks are officially biennial so they need a whole season to develop and flower the next, at least in the UK. I have had them flower the next summer from a fall planting but its only a few. I've also had the odd one become a sort of short lived perrennial. Mainly I've planted in spring for the following year but they self seed like mad so once you have them they are always there!
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2004
8:09 PM

Post #1130731

That answers alot. I thought I could pull off planting sweet peas for fall/winter color. And I thought hollyhocks were a pereniel. This is all new to me.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2004
8:19 PM

Post #1130754

David,
You just ask away and anyone with knowledge will gladly jump in to help. I have really learned a lot since joining DG.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2004
8:31 PM

Post #1130770

It might be posible to plant sweetpeas now Siggy. They can take quite a bit of cold weather but, to me it seems risky. Keep asking. Maybe your county agent or, a local nursery?
Siggy
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 5, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #1130935

I have plenty of seed. I had heard that sweet peas like cool weather so I figured they would work the way petunias and snap dragons do. What the heck at the worst they'll die. I don't have anything else growing there.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2004
11:42 PM

Post #1131018

I think the biggest risk would be from cold soils until the plants emerge. Then they would be ok until it got very cold. I don't know what that bottom temperature is for sweet peas though. But, it is lower than most plants.
okus

(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2004
3:19 AM

Post #1131372

Commercial flower growers in Yorkshire UK used to winter sow as routine when I was a kid. To get an earlier crop. It gets pretty cold there in winter, and winter is much longer than here, so I think you should be OK here
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2004
2:35 AM

Post #1132887

Wow, looks like everyone had a great time, except poor John...

I am in for the next time. Though way up here in this cold snowy weather, I don' tknow what i could grow to bring. We will see...
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2004
6:01 PM

Post #1133557

I usually have a good time where ever I go. But, not in the same place as everyone else! :-|

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2004
1:59 AM

Post #1134256

My hollyhocks have been 'odd' to say the least! I had three var. growing at once. One was a dwarf double pink. Didn't know about keeping them dead headed, so I ended up KILLING that one, I think :-(

Had a double yellow and a black growing in Sam's garden last year. Both came back in the spring, but the black one "disappeared'! I have NO idea what happened to it. The double yellow is still rather short, but awfully study looking and seems to be on a nice growing spurt these past few weeks. I have no doubt it'll be back in the spring and HOPEfully I'll see blooms next year!

hope this helps,
~ Carole
ruthm
Dayton, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2004
9:16 PM

Post #1135439

Hey where and when did this happen?!!!! I have to go next time. Sorry I missed all of this fun.. I have so many extra plants I would have glady driven someplace to share and trade. When will it happen again and where?
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
5:20 PM

Post #1138608

I finally figured out that the pictures I was trying to upload were too large; so I resized and hope it will work this time.

Adeline

Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
5:34 PM

Post #1138636

Oh! Oh! Oh! It worked.
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
5:37 PM

Post #1138637

This is great fun. LOL. Doesn't take much for me to have fun.
PvillePlanter
Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 10, 2004
5:46 PM

Post #1138656

LOL...I think we may have created a new photo monster LOL j/k...very nice pictures!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2004
5:47 PM

Post #1138657

You did it. !!!!!!!!!!!! nice photo's
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
5:54 PM

Post #1138676

Thank you! Here's another.
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
5:58 PM

Post #1138683

Wheeeee! I'm on a roll.
imway2dumb
Gordonville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2004
6:01 PM

Post #1138690

Wish we still had that weather.
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
6:02 PM

Post #1138692

Close to finish.
Posie4U
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2004
6:08 PM

Post #1138699

Thought I took more pictures, but these were all that showed up on my camera. Probably too busy talking and gawking at all of the beautiful plants you all brought. Hopefully, this spring I will have some plants to share at the swap.

I also found out while sending these pictures that just a picture cannot be sent. You must type something in the message box.

Last one.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2004
10:24 PM

Post #1144209

Adeline, so glad you got your pictures to post. That's the back of my dd in the first picture you posted.

Ruthm, I don't think we have decided on a date for the next roundup but we have been talking about the first of April. Probably decide something around February.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2004
4:30 AM

Post #1148264

The Buffalo Bull, turned out to have been bottle fed by humans, so he has no fear of people...not that, that makes him any less dangerous...but it explains his behavior a little.
sweezel
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2004
3:24 PM

Post #1148853

A-ha. Thanks Melva! No wonder he came right up to them, but did not really seem to try hard to harm them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America