Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Dwarf Chenille, Firetail (Acalypha reptans)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 50
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2004
5:27 PM

Post #1127260

Dwarf Chenille, Firetail
Acalypha reptans

Planted in a hanging basket, it has not stopped blooming since I purchased it in the spring.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/3308/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rose_petalzz
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2004
1:31 PM

Post #1139954

Hey, I am a cat lover and animal rescuer, would love that plant, any particular place I can purchase one??? Will they start by seeds and bloom first year???
Thanks!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 11, 2004
2:49 PM

Post #1140056

I bought this one at my favorite local nursery in the spring. I may be trimming it back so that I can bring it in more easily when it freezes. Although one person stated on a website that her plant that was in the ground survived 0 degree temperatures one winter returning from the roots, I don't want to take a chance and lose it. I would be happy to send you some cuttings if I decide do so. I am pretty sure it would root easily, although I have not tried to do so. I do not know if it will start from seeds nor whether it would bloom the first year. It needs light shade or indirect bright light. I think that direct sun will burn the leaves (at least in our zones). Email your name and addess to me.
judysgreens
Machesney Park, IL

October 22, 2011
1:42 AM

Post #8858863

regarding this fuzzy plant that you are talking about. I was in a laundry mat a couple months ago, they had two of these plants hanging on the inside of the laundry mat. They cut a piece of each one for me. I took them home and put them in water and set them in the kitchen window, where they they receive the morning sun hoping to root them (just the end of the plant piece not the whole plant), They now have white roots on them and there is at least an inch of the fuzzy tail. I believe its time to pot them. They will stay in the house now that it is cold here, hopefully by spring, I will have a nice fuzzy tail plant. I absolutely believe these are the most interesting plants I have seen. I had never seen one until I just so happen to go to the laundry mat that day.

Thumbnail by judysgreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2011
1:09 AM

Post #8868765

So glad that the cuttings rooted for you. I lost mine last winter when I forgot to place it in my greenhouse.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America