Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (photo)

(Zone 5b)

Heres a current photo of my trio of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes that I purchased as started chicks earlier this year.
Can't wait until next summer to start hatching some out!
Anybody here raising Wyandottes?
I also raise purebred (not Easter Egg Layers) black and blue Ameraucanas (blue egg layers).

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

What neat looking chickens. and the feathers do look like they are laced with blue! How many do you have?

Beautiful birds Cottage_Rose!

We only have hybrids right now and narrowly avoided visiting the traditional and rare breeds sale this autumn. There is one next spring we will have to go to so now doubt, we'll come back with something else!

(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys. :)
The Blue Laced Reds Wyandottesare still new to the U.S. and mine are light blue (almost white) laced and not the best of quality but I will try to breed for better quality. I just have the one trio for now but may get more in 2005.

(Zone 5b)

Thanks guys. :)
The Blue Laced Reds Wyandottes are still new to the U.S. and mine are light blue (almost white) laced and not the best of quality but I will try to breed for better quality. I just have the one trio for now but may get more in 2005.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I DO think I am in love! As it gets closer and closer to time to finally move back to a rural area, I will have to be extra careful to not over-do it in the animal acquisition arena... but surely I will be able to find some room for a few of these? Do you know if they come in a banty size, too?

(Zone 5b)

Not that I know of...but get in touch with McKinney & Govero Poultry for BLR's.
A few other hatcheries carry them as well.

Wauconda, IL

Oh, purty! Nice chickens you got there! April

(Zone 5b)

Thanks April! :))

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow, they are beautiful!! Where would one purchase some of these Blue Laced Red Wyandottes? I would love to get a few for my hubby in the spring. Cathy

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Cottage_Rose,
I just lost the last of my silver laced wyandottes this fall. Your reds look beautiful. My old girl was 3. I think a fox got her. My wyandottes were great producers right through the coldest parts of our winter! They do tend to be a bit stand-offish though. I like the more attentive Rhode Island Reds. They seem more pet-like. I talk to my girls like the fool I am. I expect them to "converse" with me! LOL. That old wyandotte sure did! She was the loudest of my flock of 50, was the first to "speak up" when I called them, but was always leading the others into my flower borders. But I'll miss her.

(Zone 5b)

Darleen...they all have their individual personalitys don't they?
The tame ones are nice but I'm constantly tripping over them. I have a little Ameraucana pullet that runs to my feet everytime shes see's me and begs for attention but when when I pick her up to cuddle her she pecks the heck out of my arms. Shes so silly ;)

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

They are beautiful chickens. I hope you will post more pictures of them in the spring when that rooster matures!

(Zone 5b)

Thanks Mary and I am sure I'll post more pics next Spring-Summer. :)

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful!

Wauconda, IL

Darleen,

You talk to your birds? You should hear how I talk to my cats...we have entire conversations. I guess I'm quite mad! April

Dodecatheon, yep yer nuts! Just like ME. I speak to my hens, to my cats, my dogs, my horses, but RARELY to my son or husband. LOL. The humans tend to 'talk back' and my hearing is getting so bad I'm starting to avoid human dialogue cause it's soooo much easier than listening. I also speak to my plants! Haven't quite gotten to talkin' to the walls tho!
D

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Your chickens are beautiful. I had some wyandottes years ago and really enjoyed them. Good luck in getting more chicks in the spiring.

Wauconda, IL

Darleen,

Never met an animal I couldn't have a conversation with......April

I met one just last night. Dadburned opossum in my hen house! Went back to the house for the old .22 and gave it a 3 gun salute. Dead opossom now. Gave it a short farewell ceremony this morning. It bothers me to have to take a life. But I also have to protect my birds and feed. Thing musta weighed 15 pounds! All that layin' mash he/she's been stealing!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Darleen, did you loose any chickens? If not, this might have been the possum's first visit. I used to live where we had possums and lost quite a few chickens before I was in the right place at the right time to shoot the critter. I shot a couple of them in the henhouse, and more outside trying to get in, must have been a whole family. They seem to grin at you even when they are dead.

(Zone 5b)

Oh those dern varmints! We had a coon kill a bunch of chicks a few years ago. Just killed a bunch and barely ate any of them. We reinforced the coop floor as they were digging under the side walls. We put cement in the ground all the way around. I always close my chickens in at night too. But I did before the coon raid. By the way the coon family (3) came back the very next night just after dusk for more more chicken dinner but got gun-powder surprise instead.

Between the fox, coons and opossum I lost a LOT of chickens this past year. I'm down to 3. In the spring I'll plan reenforce the coop, start some chicks in my tractors in May, and hopefully have a new flock of egg layers by next fall.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

OH! I want some chickens. About 3 or 4 for my suburban 1/2 acre. But I don't know much about them. Played with them at Grandma's farm in the 50s. I got a book from the library called Keeping Chickens, and it is great, but I want to know much more, including more types of simple coops and pens. I am not a carpenter, but can enlist some help if I could get good plans or ideas. Any suggestions on where to look on line? Hints on keeping them in the hot and sultry So. Tx climate? I have all the varmints mentioned in this thread. How would I protect against them? Possums and coons abound here. Is there a "Chicken thread" anywhere here? Guess I will spend some time searching. I got this bug, and won't be happy til I satisfy the itch! Any and all comments will provide me with more than I know. Happy New Year!!
Margie, aka Queen of Dirtland, loudigger

(Zone 5b)

Margie may I recommend you start your own chicken thread with questions you want answered on this forum? I'm afraid your questions in this thread may be missed by many.

Chickens are easy to keep and coops don't have to be fancy, but need to be varmint proof and ventilated properly. As for predators the main thing is to have a secure coop and close them in at night with no exceptions. If you have stray dog probelms you may need to keep them in a covered pen when you aren't at home during the day.
There is a wealth of information online that covers chicken keeping.
For Texas I would guess lighter weight breeds like Minorcas, Blue Andulusions, Ameraucanas, etc. vs. heavy breeds like Cochins, Brahmas etc. would do better.
While bantams are cute they usually aren't very good layers so if the eggs are important to you get large fowl.
Do a search on any topic and you will find alot of info.
One poultry website I like to recommend is: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html
This website has info on the different chicken breeds and management plus tons of links.
Heres a couple more:
http://www.plamondon.com/poultryfaq.shtml
http://www.rockingtranch.com/link-faq.html

Have fun! :)

(Zone 5b)

Also its very important that your chickens *always* have access to shade and fresh water daily during the summer.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Also, be prepared. I love chickens too, but they need daily care and it's important to have someone reliable to do chicken chores if you leave town for even a day or weekend. Years ago I hired a young neighbor girl to feed my chickens over the 4th of July holiday during a heat wave. When we returned the chickens were suffering terribly from no water or food. The girl had forgotten all about them. Thankfully, all the chickens recovered but it was a hard lesson to learn.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, those are beautiful!!! Something for me to think about...what a unique color!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Great chickens and lovely photo
Thanks for all the info and the links too

(Zone 5b)

*Thank you* and you are welcome! :)

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

I know this thread is old, but I was doing a Google search and came back across it. A chicken buddy of mine happened to get some of these, and gave me about 20 eggs. Right now, I have them hatching in the incubator. I totally forgot all about this post! LOL If you think the photo is spectacular, wait until you see these beauties in person!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Lovely, lovely chickens. Sigh... next year....

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Gosh, they're beautiful!

Reeds Spring, MO(Zone 6b)

Cottage Rose, your chickens are so pretty. I have some Golden Lace and Silver Lace Wyandottes but haven't seen ones like yours. Where are they available? I'd like to find a nice tempered rooster of any kind just to have to make my laying hens "happy" :-) But seems every breed I've tried so far gets mean when about 2 yrs old so I have to take the cattle rod in the chicken pen with me or get the heck flogged out of me. If anyone knows a docile breed of roosters, please let me know.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

I just thought all roosters acted like that. They seem so protective and possesive of the hens. I just figured it was their nature. I've never seen a rooster that wasn't akin to a (other word for donkey).

This message was edited May 25, 2006 2:19 PM

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

The laced Wyandotts are so pretty. The hens look like they've got on lace petticoats.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Old thread here. These are pretty birds. I noticed that no one has replied as to where these Birds can be purchased. I would love to have some.

calvin

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Welp Hatchery lists straight run only of "Blue Wyandotts" (mixture of boys and girls) They didn't have a photo on their website, so I don't know if these are the same type. (also, they are sold out for 2006) http://www.welphatchery.com

McMurray Hatchery lists them as straight run only and are also sold out for 2006 (they have a color drawing; no photo) http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/blue_laced_red_wyandotte.html

Both sites have info on caring for your babies.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine a few of mine should be laying in a month or two. These are kind of hard to tell male and female apart until the combs really start growing. This is my first time to have any rosecomb birds.

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

try going to www.albc-usa.org it is a site iwth all kinds of ifno on the heritage farm animals and i think it does list some hatcheries.
best
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images