Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: How to tell the difference?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 5, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mauser
Cheshire
United Kingdom

November 9, 2004
9:12 AM

Post #1136213

Could anybody help me to correctly identify the difference between the following Geraniums, as I keep seeming to purchase the same plant labelled differently.
Geranium reflexum
Geranium x monacense nothovar. anglicum
Geranium phaeum lividum Majus
The plants that I have of these all have reflexed pink flowers with plain green leaves.
Thanks for the help,
Mauser
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
10:15 AM

Post #1136226

Hi Mauser
The identification and classification of these geraniums are difficult and to be honest only experience can help you to know the difference. Grow all three species and you will learn the difference. Basically phaeum and reflexum are species and Monacense is a hybrid produced by crossing the two (phaeumXreflexum=monacense) Phaeum does not have a reflexed flower. It should be flat or bowl shaped. If it does reflex back then it has probably been propagted by seed and has crossed with something else. Thus you will not have the true species. Relexum is quite severly reflexed and monacense is half reflexed.
For more help see my photo gallery at http://www.overthegardengate.net/garden/archives/category.asp?linkid=175

I hope that this helps.
Mauser
Cheshire
United Kingdom

November 9, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #1136585

Hello Psilo,

Thanks for the infornation! I'll have to take another look at them when they are in flower next year! It's difficult identifiying some of these Geraniums when books and other websites all have different pictures of them. So finding the true plant becomes a nightmare! I'm trying to get together a big collection of phaeums and relatives. The scary thing is the National Collection holder of them is selling wrongly labelled plants which makes it even more difficult!
I see that you have a big collection of Geraniums, where to you get yours from?
All the best
Mauser
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
3:38 PM

Post #1136596

Mauser which national collection holder are you getting your plants from? To be honest I have been collecting mine for a very long time and I have gottent hem from all over the place. SOme sources are Judith Bradshaw (Nat coll holder) Crug farm, rosies garden plants,the continent and other private growers. I see that you live in cheshire. That is not a million miles from myself as I live in Bolton. The trouble is that these plants have gotten so mixed up that there are few people who sell them that know what they truely have.
psilo
Mauser
Cheshire
United Kingdom

November 9, 2004
5:31 PM

Post #1136744

Hello Psilo,

My 2 favourite places to get correctly named plants are Crug and Plantsmans Preference. The National Collection Holder was in Wales for the Geranium phaeums. The worst offence there was Geranium phaeum Lily Lovell, the plant being offered had small dark flowers, and spots on the leaves! When I questioned them as to wether it was Lily Lovell, they said another National Collection Holder had given it to them and it was definately the correct plant. This has driven me on to try and build my own National Collection with hopefully all correctly named plants! I fear I have a battle royale on my hands though!
All the best
Mauser
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
10:37 PM

Post #1137361

yes I got alot of my plants from plantsmans preference too. This species is a very difficult area to get right. I have very many different varieites including quite a few crosses. They may well believe it to be the right species as these things get passed off as one thing and another and this is how the confusion starts. All the best for your own national collection ;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America