Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Suggestions please

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 8, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
9:23 AM

Post #1136215

I have a spot that is very prominent - where people will see it as they enter the property - where I would like to grow a hardy geranium that will give as long a flowering period as possible and, also preferably have good autumn colour.
It is high at the top of a bank, so we'll look up into it, and also it can sprawl down the bank.

It is under a tree, so will be dry and good drainage, but it gets a lot of sun as the tree is tall with a narrow head.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
10:21 AM

Post #1136231

yes philomel try Wlassovianum. I t has everything that you are looking for. good ground cover, long flowering period. Beautiful spring and autumn foliage and will grow well in your condiitons. It has a strikingly intense purple colour and against the green leaves is very beautiful.
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
10:22 AM

Post #1136232

sorry it should say against the dark green leaves it can look beautiful ;)
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
10:49 AM

Post #1136243

Brilliant, thanks so much psilo.
Is it one I can grow from seed and if so do you have any for sale please?
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
11:31 AM

Post #1136267

Well philomel, there lies a mystery. This is a species and is supposed to set seed. ( so people tell me) however I have grown several of these plants and never managed to collect any and I have never seen the seed for sale. It is easy enough to pick up at nurseries around the UK though I should imagine though you may struggle to find it in france.
If you need to grow something from seed then aspodoloides and maybe nodosum may fit your bill but they dont colour up like wlassovianum does. I do have both of these for sale on my website.
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
11:55 AM

Post #1136278

I'll ahve a think about that then and a look around - must pop over to your website - and see what I can find. I was rather hoping to find something the would do from seed as there's quite an area to cover one way and another lol.

What about wallichianum? That prefers it wetter I suppose?
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
11:59 AM

Post #1136283

PS off out to a French class now, will be back later :)
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
12:14 PM

Post #1136294

wet yes but it doesnt like too much direct sunlight.. It would be ok though if you grew it amongst other lush plants so that its roots were cooler. For ablue colour to mingle with the pink you could always try collinum which will seed and provide some interesting offspring.
psilo
Bolton, Greater Manc
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2004
12:15 PM

Post #1136297

Forgot to add that collinum makes quite a large spread and has pink and blue flowers depending on the age of the flower.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America