Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

PlantFiles Pictures: Rose of Sharon 'Blue Bird' (Hibiscus syriacus)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 11, Views: 135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 11, 2004
5:10 PM

Post #1140312

Rose of Sharon 'Blue Bird'
Hibiscus syriacus

In my Zone 8b garden, I'm seeing more blue, but still with a hint of lavendar.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/48574/

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kachinagirl
Modesto, CA
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2004
5:48 PM

Post #1142336

Ah...my absolute favorite Rose of Sharon...although Forestfarm has a H. 'Blue Satin' which is tempting me something fierce...wonderful pic Scutler!
tazzy
Sand Springs, OK
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2004
5:50 PM

Post #1142340

so beautiful .
keep
Saint Petersburg, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 13, 2004
10:03 AM

Post #1143407

would like blue rose of sharon.have candle stick alata.dutch pipe .hope you have some seeds lefyt thank you ,keep

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2004
3:14 PM

Post #1143690

Kachinagirl and tazzy, thanks VERY much for the compliments. The photo was something of a happy accident; snapped a quick pic while trying to photograph my roses - turned out to be the only keeper.

Kachinagirl, it is my understanding that the Blue Satin cultivar produces a more reliable blue color and was based on a seed from Blue Bird; hence Blue Satin is, reportedly, an "improved" Blue Bird. (Note: I have seeds from plant in picture, if interested. See comment below.)

keep, good news is I stuffed my pockets with seed pods while in garden and am happy to share. Bad new is literature indicates Blue Bird does not reliably reproduce blue color from seed. (That said, note that Blue Satin was derived from Blue Bird seed, so it is possible.) Of 5 plants I grew from Blue Bird seed, 4 were pale lavendar, 1 was blue-lavendar but not as blue as parent. However, they did bloom 1st year while still in pot, so it is possible to grow a number of them and pick the best one. Literature indicates stem cuttings are most reliable; can share these as well.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2004 11:17 AM
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 3, 2006
2:28 AM

Post #2686245

If youíre willing to share, hope Iím not intruding, I will send you a trade list.

That flower is just gorgeous! And it sounds like anything from the seed would be too, and might I ask, how do you get the seeds from this rose of Sharon? I have a white one and want to plant more on the property but never can find the seed? Lol I donít have seedlings because it is planted between my garages in the concrete lol A little birdie did that for me I think . A little birdie might be taking the seed away too lol
PLMK, Thanks
Lea

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #2704763

Here is a photo of the blooms from a seedling from Bluebird. Sorry that the flowers are closed, but you can see the color. Also note, while not visible in the photo, I've found that the seedlings tend to grow much taller/faster. The parent (Bluebird) was about 10-12" high and in a 2qt container when I got it about 5yrs ago and is now about 2ft high x 1.5ft wide. The seedlings are about 4yrs old and 6-7ft high despite having been cut back several times.

Also, note the seed pods top and bottom right. These start to appear around mid summer here. By fall the plant is pretty much covered in them.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 11:24 PM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2704792

Bluebird seedling with open blooms

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2006
3:43 AM

Post #2704805

Here is a recent photo of a bloom from Bluebird. It's a lousy photo for sure and taken in poor lighting, but it gives some idea as to color. This photo was taken with the same camera as the seedling photos.

LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2006
5:08 AM

Post #2704988

That's such a pretty color! Is the other one pink or is that just the camera? It's nice too!

I would still love to trade would you like what I offered? I checked your trade list out from 2005, and I have a few things on it, I will dmail you tomorrow afternoon sometime.
Thanks,
Lea

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 9, 2006
5:26 AM

Post #2705019

No, it's a light lavendar. The color in the 1st photo of seedlings is the most accurate. The 2nd photo probably wasn't a good choice but was the only decent photo I could find showing the open flower. (Will discuss trade in Dmail)

Edited to say that upon looking at the 2nd photo again, I'm not sure about the color. I have 2 seedlings. It's possible that the 2 photos are of different seedlings. I don't think of either of the (actual) seedlings as a pink, but one might be a pink-lavendar.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2006 1:29 AM
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 9, 2006
5:36 AM

Post #2705039

It's still pretty, I only have white and thanks for showing the seeds, guess maybe the birds are getting them, don't understand lol Would you like some finches for trade? lol

I'll wait to hear from you, have to go into town for a few hours tomorrow, won't be able to get back on here till tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks,
Lea

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America