Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: deer

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 3, Views: 214
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonsaibabe
Bend, OR

June 17, 2001
9:30 PM

Post #6693

Hi, I live in Central Oregon and we have alot of deer. I have a few roses that I haven't planted yet and some in the ground. Last night a deer came and ate all the floweres and buds. Will this ruin my bushes? How do I keep it from happening again?
thanks
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2001
6:06 PM

Post #85899

The roses will regrow, they always do after even severe pruning after all. However, if the deer keep nibbling them, they will die. There are many commercially available deer repellents that have varying degrees of success in hindering them. The only remedy that will work for sure is a fence. An electric fence would be best, as that actually deters them, and they can easily jump over most fences smaller than 10". Electric fences are practically invisible, safe for you and your family, and are not that expensive. And, they work.
duckweed
Polson, MT
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2001
6:50 PM

Post #86223

oops...I bet you meant 10 feet (not inches). My garden fence is 6' high with 18" angled extensions (angled outwards). We got the idea from the US Forest Service. It works great.
deener
Stockholm, NJ
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2001
11:00 PM

Post #86916

Duckweed: Could you give us a detailed description of how you constructed your garden fence? I am in the Northwest tip of New Jersey, the deer are downright insulting but the ground hogs are even worse. I've tried the deer repellents which seem to be interesting and certainly repel me, but the ground hogs love it!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America