Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe?

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm looking for a pickle recipe that will render nice crisp pickles like Clausen dills, surely there is a way a layman can do it?

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Mom, I think I've heard that if you don't cook your cucumbers and if you use a cold pack that they stay crisp. I'll see if i can find a recipe somewhere for you.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Misty, cold pack huh? I can look it up on the web also, I've not canned anyting but would like too in the summer 2005 , our tomatoes were too much for the two of us, and people at work were tired of them too --- if I have such an abundance next summer I'll see if the Food bank in Des Moines maybe could use them.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

wow, sounds like you need to set a table up in your yard with a sign, tomatoes for sale...Then you can take a trip to hawaii or something from the proceeds of selling tomatoes, ha, ha...

Also, you can freeze tomatoes until you decide how you want to process them. Just wash and put in a freezer bag. When you need them, take them out and the skins will come off easily. Oh my, extra tomatoes....salsa, sauce, canned tomatoes, tomato juice......a zillion ways to use up tomatoes. :)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

yes, you're right, I really should have at least made more salsa! Most of our abundance came from the Heirloom cherry tomato's, hubby was not crazy about them. I've never thought of freezing them....I think I'd rather freeze than can though, much easier! Thanks, Duh! on my part.LOL!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have successfully made crisp dill pickles...which reminds me I want to do them again. SOooo good. I didn't want them soggy so I soaked the cukes in ice before packing them into the jars with the spices, poured the brine over them and processed them (whatever the book said to do). After 2 weeks they were HORRIBLE. After 4 weeks they were DEVINE!!!!! I also used the smallest I could find...but they weren't tiny - and I packed them with fresh dill (I have used dry in a pinch), hot peppers and whole garlic clove.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Carol, was the brine hot? I guess i thought that if I processed them in a hot both or poured hot brine over them that that would be what makes them soggy, but I've never made them so I dont know what to expect. I want to next summer.Jill

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Jill....both the jars and the brine were hot. Somehow it all worked (even tho' Joy of Cooking said not to leave the whole garlic in the jar because of bacteria or something...I used jars 3 years later and no problem!!! The bath has to kill everything!!! (I hope).

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I'll try it summer 2005 --- wish me luck! Jill

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Fermented Dill Pickles – Refrigerated “Clausen” Type

1 gallon glass jar
12 fresh dill flower heads, or 2 tbsp. dried dill weed
2 tablespoons dried dill seed
10 to 12 cloves garlic
6 to 8 peppercorns
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup salt
1 quart water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers. Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar. Dissolve salt in water and add to jar. Fill jar the remaining way with water. Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence
1. Clear brine – no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days
2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days
3. Cloudy brine – no gas formation, 5 to 6 days
Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.
Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles
Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top. Wipe, seal, and process in a hot water bath at 170 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area. Let jars stand for 12 hours. Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Where do you keep them while they are fermenting? In the refrigerator or out?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

If you process them do they get soggy?

Paul

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

In the winter when there is no fresh cucumbers, I have this great pickle recipe made from bought pickles. I large jar of whole dill pickles.(64 ounce, I think) Rinse them then slice into sterilized jars. In a saucepan heat the following: 1/4 tsp garlic powder 1/2tsp red pepperflakes, 2 tsp pickling spice (whole) loose, 2 cups white sugar and 1 cup Brown Cider vinegar. Heat to boil, stirring constantly. Pour this over pickle slices in jars. Seal. Let set 5 days, turning them upside down each day. They are a not too sour dill pickle, with a teriffic crunch. This whole process takes about 30 minutes. This makes 4 pint jars. We just love these. I sometimes make these as gifts for christmas for the neighbors. Just a little something. I put calico cloth on the lid and tie with a ribbon.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I have made the Klaussen Dill Pickles using a recipe from my LLBean cookbook. They turned out fantasticly well....and when refrigerated, they were much the same as the Klaussens.

The 'tricks' are in the use of salt and a precise amount of minimal cooking. Misty and Aloha are correct. The sterilized jars of filled whole pickling cucumbers were cold packed with hot brine, then processed to the PRECISE time indicated. The recipe called for dill (which I grew and had gobs of) and garlic.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Lynn
Can you post the recipe?

Paul

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

That would be awesome. :) Kathy

JULIE CARTER'S DILL PICKLES
(Source: The L.L. Bean Book of New New England Cookery, by Judith and Evan Jones, p. 627)

About 16 small cucumbers, 4 inches long (or 12 larger, but slim cucumbers), enough to fill 4 pints
12 large garlic cloves, peeled
4 heads fresh dill
2 hot red peppers, or 1 teaspoon crushed hot red pepper flakes

Brine:
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup salt

Wash the cucumbers. Leave the small ones whole or chunk the larger ones. Pack into 4 pint jars that have been sterilized. To each pint add 3 cloves garlic, 1 head dill, 1/2 hot red pepper or 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes.

Make the brine: put the vinegar, water, and salt in a saucepan and heat to the boiling point. Pour hot over the cucumbers in the jars. Seal and place in a water bath that is barely simmering, not boiling, for 5 minutes, marking the time as soon as you put them in. If you leave them longer, they will get soft. Store for several weeks before using.
Makes 4 pints.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks lynn! I'll try it this summer!

New Fairfield, CT(Zone 5a)

For the canners. To make it more fun and not get stuck in the kitchen on your nice day off, if you can get help and set up outside with a simple gas burner, water bath canning tomatoes (salsa, sauce, stewed tomatoes with basil ,etc) yields a better product than frozen. When you open one of those jars when the snow's piled high, it's like summer in a jar. Waterbath canning just means you get the water to a rolling boil and "process" for the required time. This works great for acidic veggies. The Ball blue book has some standard recipes. My own grandmother's bread and butter pickle recipe is very similar to Ball's and although they're work, a food processor, can help and they are worth it, indeed!

The Ball Blue book is one of the bibles of canning and tells which veggies, recipes can be water bath canned and those that need to be processed in a pressure cooker.

One question, I have a large pressure canner. Even when following directions to the Ball recipes to the "T", the results are sometimes mushy and dissapointing and the water boils out of some jars. I also would like to know if anyone has a suggestion where to get the pressure gauge adjusted?

Thank you! Happy Canning!
Green-Ox

Greenox, we set up a propane burner outside when we're canning with water-bath. You are right about the outdoors being a better setting -- besides, it IS more fun outside. My husband works the burner and watches the water (who says a watch-pot never boils???). I am in the kitchen sterilizing and prepping the lids while the canned goodies are either in a pot or waiting to be cold-packed. When it is 'time', he comes to the kitchen and helps pack the food. Together we wipe tops, add lids, and then carry the sealed jars to the bubbling water-bath.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

hedandan, do you leave the pickles OUT of the refrigerator while they are fermenting? How long will they keep in the frig without processing?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Cool room temperature is best for fermenting pickles. We're just now fishing a few remaining pickles out of the bottom of a crock that's been in the fridge since last August.

If you're canning pickles, Linda Ziedrich (_The Joy of Pickling_) recommends adding a few clean sour cherry leaves to the bottom of the jar.... the tannin in the leaves helps keep the pickle firm. She also has instructions in her book for "low temperature pasteurization," which replaces the traditional water bath with processing in 180 - 185 degree water (temp has to be watched carefully, and I think time is longer). I did dilly beans that way last year, and they were fabulously crisp.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

critterologist, Could you post the recipe you used for the dilly beans? I tried to make some and they were less than delicious...

Lineville, IA

I make my neices husband dills every year. He loves them and will eat all I make. The grand children like them to. Get mrs wage dill pickle mix there is two different kinds. You don't process as it say. Pack cukes in jars I usuall split mine maybe add a clove of garlic,can store liquid in ref, if you don'e use it all at one time. just put on lids no need to seal, store in ref. I have an extra ref. These are very crisp.

Ashton, IL(Zone 5a)

rayleigh,

so these are basically raw cucumbers with hot pickle mix poured over them? How long does it take until they taste like pickles, and how long do they keep?

happy valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I've made LynnCanGrowIt's posted "JULIE CARTER'S DILL PICKLES" pickle recipe several times with great results. Crisp and delicious dill pickles every time! Thanks for posting this recipe.

Thumbnail by kissmydrafts
Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

kiss my drafts, thanks! I've made them too but I've not tried them yet, I'm waitung for the 1st weekend in sept. , I made them in the 3rd week of July, keeping my fingers crossed that they're nice and crisp!

KissMyDrafts, Glad to know the recipe worked for you! It is a good one, and pretty easy, too. Hopefully those others who made the recipe had success, as well.

All of our canned goodies will be tasting so great over the colder seasons.
Lynn

happy valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Lynn,

Good news. I had left a jar of this year's batch with friends over the summer. They opened it up and the husband's comment was "these taste just like those Claussen pickles". Yet another testimony of goodness.

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have seen recipes that also call for grape leaves. Have never tried it, but was given to understand that the grape leaves have something to do with keeping the pickles crisp. Does anyone know?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

hedandan, I have been given to understand the same thing about using grape leaves.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Never heard of grape leaves in pickle recipes before. ..............

cuckoo

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm....I've had stuffed grape leaves! Delish!

And some folks here think I wear them in the summertime! (Some folks think I wear them in the winter time, too! But that depends on the wind.)

:>)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9b)

THIS ALL WAY WORKED FOR ME------10 MED. CUCUMBERS
8 CUPS SUGAR
2TABLESPOONS MIXED PICKLING SPICES---3 TEASPOONS SALT---4 CUPS CIDER VINEGAR

COVER THE WHOLE CUCUMBER WITH BOILING WATER AND ALLOW TO STAND OVER NIGHT----DRAIN, THENREPEAT THIS PROCEDURE ON THE NEXT THREE MORNINGS --ON THE FIFTH DAY,DRAIN AND SLICE THE CUCUMBERS INTO 1/2PIECES.
COMBINE THE SUGAR, SPICES,SALT AND VINEGAR IN A SAUCEPAN AND BRING TO A BOIL. --POUR OVER THE CUCUMBERS AND LET STAND FOR 2 DAYS. ON THE THIRD DAY,,BRING TO A BOIL AND SEAL IN HOT STERILIZED JARS

Hammonton, NJ(Zone 6b)

Found an answer to my query by using Google:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_pickle.html

Q. I have an old recipe that calls for adding a grape leaf to each jar of pickles. Why?
A. Grape leaves contain a substance that inhibits the enzymes that make pickles soft. However, removing the blossom ends (the source of undesirable enzymes) will make the addition of grape leaves unnecessary.
-------------------------------------------
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/Pubs/columncc/cc990430.html

Why are grape leaves called for in some old fashioned recipes?
Grape leaves contain tannins that inhibit enzymes which make pickles soft. They are safe to use. If, however, good quality ingredients are used and up to date methods are followed, crisping agents such as alum, pickling lime and grape leaves are unnecessary. To produce a crisp pickle, use vegetables within 24 hours of harvest. Pick cucumbers early in the morning and keep in a cool place as they deteriorate rapidly at room temperature.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

In _Joy of Pickling_, Linda Zeidrich mentions using grape leaves or sour cherry leaves in pickle jars to improve crispness, and I'm thinking that somewhere in her book she also mentioned seeing Russian recipes using oak leaves for this purpose.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Bump. Cukes are growing in our gardens. :)

Waterloo, IA

what is the best recipe for claussen dill pickles ?

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Gang! I am new to this thread. Darius, I believe, is in and out of the canning forums and told me that pickling vegetables is a good cancer inhibitor.
I have only been making a farm for 2 years so everything is new to me. I hunger for info!

I see above a pickling book. Is there anymore anyone can suggest?

I am particularly interested in pickling tomatillos and green beans.

Also, my hubby just realized he likes Italian style pickled veggies in his antipasto. So I am looking for that kind of pickling also.

I used to make kim chee but that was all I know!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cyberageous, I referred to fermented vegetables which are pickled but not processed and canned. Processing kills the lactic acid and the lactic acid is what inhibits cancers and polyps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.