Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Do You Know This Hibiscus' Name?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 41, Views: 555
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2004
7:41 PM

Post #1156561

This is large shrubby bush.

Can you tell me it's name, please?

Thumbnail by dstartz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 20, 2004
7:43 PM

Post #1156566

Side view

Thumbnail by dstartz

Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2004
8:27 PM

Post #1156623

Very pretty color. Wish I could help, but I have no idea.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2004
1:58 AM

Post #1157195

Try here...
Looks like maybe Kona

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/hibiscus/
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2004
4:50 AM

Post #1157418

Hi, how have you been? What is the diameter of the bloom? It resembles a pink double Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus), but I can't judge the size of the bloom (plus or minus about 3 inch blooms). If it has large blooms, see below:

It might be Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Double Classic Pink' or 'Classic Double Pink' -

http://www.hibiscusklubben.dk/farver.asp?kode='3'

This message was edited Nov 21, 2004 12:59 AM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2004
5:40 AM

Post #1157457

I think it's about 6-8". When I have one that isn't rain-soaked I'll measure it and let you know for sure.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2004
6:03 AM

Post #1157481

Wow, you are online now too? You don't need to give an exact measurement .. I just needed a general idea to rule out a Rose of Sharon. You have had a lot of rain too like me. I have a lot of plants to place in the ground, but the weather is too yucky to plant them now. See the post right above your last one. I edited it. There is a Confederate Rose that grows very large and has large double pink blooms, but the leaves in your photo do not seem to be a match.

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/go/714///

This message was edited Nov 21, 2004 1:23 AM
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2004
6:21 AM

Post #1157494

I didn't even notice it was you!! How are you?!?! I'd love to chat. If you're interested I'll be over at http://dstartz.com/Texas
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2004
5:46 PM

Post #1158094

I went to sleep after my last post so I didn't see you were still up and ready to chat.

Here is a photo of 'Betsy' (Pull down to Page 6):

http://www.internationalhibiscussociety.org/CVsinglepage/index.php?letter=b
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2004
9:08 PM

Post #1160389

...bump...
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 22, 2004
11:54 PM

Post #1160607

Thanks so much for the link to the hibiscus society. I've been lurking here waiting for the answer, I was so taken with the flower, and now I've got pages and pages of them to enjoy!

And thank for the picture of Betsy or whatever her name is - she's still fabulous.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2004
12:58 AM

Post #1160697

doss, you are quite welcome. I love that site too. The beauty of all of the hibiscus blooms becomes entrancing. The pink of dstartz's bloom is so delicate and refreshing. I have never seen one in person that ihas that coloring.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2004
1:09 AM

Post #1160720

htop,

I will gladly root a cutting for you. Just say the word and it will be hand delivered.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2004
1:43 AM

Post #1160780

Wow, that would be great! Thanks! :o)
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2004
2:01 AM

Post #1160807

Considerate it done! I will let you know in a few months when it's ready to be delivered.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 23, 2004
2:25 AM

Post #1160864

Yippee!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2008
8:35 AM

Post #5781442

I received a cutting from this hibiscus from dstartz and has grown into a large specimen thest past 4 years. The plant is in a large container and is over 7 feet tall right now. The medium green, 5 to 6 inch leaves are not lobed nor glossy, have small serrations and are slightly rough to the touch. The old stems are woody. It is not a tropical hibiscus. The double blooms (or triple) are round (full, unlike dstrtz's photo which depict when they are first opening), 6 to 7 inches in diameter and fluffy. Wheb examinig the center which can not be seen esily, it is a seep pink.

Strangely, Its first blooms in the spring are not double. They had 10 open petals with 1 petal being considerably smaller than the rest, the background petals being of equal size, the others somewhat varying in size and a little "tongue" (petaloid) in the middle. I have been very confused about this. I have been trying to determine why the blooms are so different in the spring than they are in the summer. I have posted it in the Hibiscus Forum before.for identification. I have been attempting to identify it for 5 years.

No bloom is open on it right now. When one opens this week, I will post a new photo.

How the first blooms appear in spring (They are lighter pink in the summer) ...

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008 2:47 AM

Thumbnail by htop

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2008
8:36 AM

Post #5781443

Another view ...

Thumbnail by htop

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2008
8:42 AM

Post #5781445

A view from the side (sorry that it is not in focus very well ...

Thumbnail by htop

suse
Bretten
Germany

November 12, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5781494

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful Hibiscus pictures. The blooms look overwhelming and are worth every effort.

But, btw, dstartz is not longer active in the forum ?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5782112

Can't help you on the ID, but I can tell you that I grow a bunch of tropical hibiscus and the doubles do not always bloom double--sometimes they are completely single and sometimes they have a few extra petaloids but not all the way double. I haven't paid close enough attention to see if it's a certain temperature/time of year that tends to give singles but it's very common in the tropicals so I wouldn't be surprised that it can happen in the hardies as well.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 12, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5782227

suse, dstartz is no longer a member. It is a marvelous hibiscus with huge blooms for a double. Thank you for your comments.

ecrane3, thank you for the information.

brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

November 14, 2008
9:19 AM

Post #5789328

htop,Your hibiscus looks to be very similar to one I have here...and it too throws singles early in the season.Is known as "peach blow" an old double cultivar with an unflattering name in my opinion...I wonder who named this one.The flower's much prettier than its name
Edited to say: tried to copy &paste picture from an old post without success..

This message was edited Nov 14, 2008 7:31 PM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2008
10:30 AM

Post #5789375

brical1, thank you sooo much. It surely does resemble your hibiscus. I am researching it now. It is listed 2 times in the PlantFiles; once as 'Peach Blow' and the other as 'Peachblow'. Does your plant have large leaves that are not a deep, deep green and not glossy looking? I am asking because what I know as a tropical hibiscus has deep green, shiny leaves.'Peach Blow' is listed as a tropical hibiscus. The blooms on mine do not have much peach to them. The blooms are described a lightish pink with a carmine center which mine are. I think it is named 'Peach Blow' because there is a touch of peach in the blooms.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2008 4:44 AM
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

November 15, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5793078

htop,I will try to find some pics I have here somewhere and get back to you ...but I wouldn't describe mine as having a peach colouration to the petals. I would describe the flower as a soft pink...the depth of colour can change with the seasons too.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2008
10:37 AM

Post #5793094

Mine has just a slight hint of peach at the very tips sometimes; but, not often However, it would be described as having pink blooms. In cooler weather, the bloom color is more intense. I have about 20 photos of mine on a CD used by my old camera. For some reason, half the photos on this CD will not be read by my computer. They will be read by my camera. I need to find the cable to my camera that allows me to attach it to my computer so I can download my photos. We are going to have a freeze tonight so the bloom buds will not open so I can take a photo of them.
EmmaGrace
Jacksonville, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5793117

Hi Hazel,

Well, I see I'm not the only one up this early...lol

Sending you a D-Mail
Emma
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

November 15, 2008
11:42 AM

Post #5793156

found this one ...see what you think.

Thumbnail by brical1

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5793988

I agree with the Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) identification provided above. The elongated green sepals that form a goblet shape at the base of the flower are not typical of many hibiscus species, but they are present on the Hibiscus syriacus.

Jeremy
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

November 16, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5795650

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a deciduous hibiscus...I just presumed we were talking about an evergreen hibiscus.
Edited to say: my pic above is of an evergreen tropical double hibiscus "Peach Blow"

This message was edited Nov 16, 2008 11:24 AM
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #5800369

JaxFlaGardener, it is not a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus). The leaves are not the same and the flowers are huge.

brical1, all of the hibiscus are deciduous here in San Antonio when we dip into freezing temperatures even my "evergreen" tropicals. Thanks for the photo. It still does resemble 'peach blow'.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 17, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5801315

Uh... I was referring back to the original flower in question, not the one you posted later.

Jeremy
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5807128

I found another slightly unfocused photo of the bloom as it appears in early spring (first blooms) in morning sunlight as seen from the side. The peachy color is highly visible on the backside of the first petals in this photo.I have tried all kinds of things to retrieve my other photos of the blooms in the summer from the camera's CD; however, nothing has worked. The files are damaged. The plant has bloom buds on it now that I am anxiously awaiting their opening so I can take new photos.

Thumbnail by htop

htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 24, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5826023

I am declaring the Identity of this hibiscus to be 'Peach Blow' as brical1 suggested. Thanks everyone for your assistance. I am unable to mark it as "Solved" because I did not start the thread. dstartz is no longer a member.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 10:02 AM
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2008
9:12 AM

Post #5857222

O,K. so we have two solved I.D.s - dstartz pink flower is a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and htop's hibiscus is 'Peach Glow'. Correct?

Jeremy
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2008
10:55 AM

Post #5857260

Jeremy,

Actually, dstartz plant is the same as mine. After her telling me that the bloom was huge and the size of the leaves, her plant being a Rose of Sharon was ruled out. She gave me a rooted cutting of her plant a few months after she posted the first photo. All of the photos I have posted are from the plant that grew from this cutting. This plant is over 8.5 feet tall right now. It had to be severely pruned back after freeze damage last spring. I am sorry for the confusion. So, both her plant and my plant have been tentatively identified as a hibiscus 'Peach Blow'. Mine still has bloom buds now. The blooms are much smaller than in warm weather conditions. I was going to take photos of the open blooms; however, a cold front came through and the high winds knocked them off. I pulled the huge plant in its huge container into my house (a real chore) during 2 freezes so the bloom buds would be saved hoping that I could take some more photos. I have since repotted it into a larger container (so the roots are better protected) fearing that we are going to have a really colder winter this year than we have had for a few years. Today, I need to place a blanket around the base of the plant and then wrap it in frost cloth because it is going to freeze tonight.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2008 5:11 PM
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

December 4, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5859192

Hi htop,To me it still looks like peach blow..but why don't you post this over in the hibiscus forum...there are some very knowledgeable people there.cheers
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2008
11:17 AM

Post #5860722

brical1, I am pretty sure that it is "Peach Blow" after all of your help and ecrane3's post. Thank you. It has been posted in the Hibiscus Forum before and did not receive much response. After going through post after post in the Hibiscus Forum in 2005, I found a thread that discussed a hibiscus that, depending on weather, had blooms that were double, single or with petaloids. I was very excited to find this information. However, I was informed that my hibiscus did this probably because of the use of chemicals like Round Up and other herbicides being used in the vicinity of the plant which can cause a temporary change in the blooms. The change in the blooms of my hibiscus is not temporary and has occurred each year that I have had it. I never quite understood why the hibiscus the DG member was discussing exhibited bloom changes due to the weather as a plant characteristic and that mine couldn't unless it was exposed to chemicals.
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

December 5, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #5860731

I have also seen my other double cultivars exhibit this behaviour...it appears to be quite common with the doubles...
PlayNDirt

(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8560462

htop, do you still have this hibiscus?
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8577745

Unfortunately, it froze during a really cold winter this year.
Hazel
PlayNDirt

(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8603220

Shoot, I was hoping to get a cutting of it from you so I could grow it again. The one in the picture was killed when my neighbor cut down a tree in his yard and let it land in mine...

Donna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America