Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Help!! Neighborhood Plant Nerd Status Is In Jeopardy!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SuzyS
Seale, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2001
2:24 PM

Post #6714

Hi,everyone! My neighbor bought a plant at the flea market and I can't figure out what it is for the life of me! My plant nerd status is in jeopardy!!! It is dark green in color with buds shaped like pinecones.Each little point on the 'cones' has a very pink, 2 petaled 'bloom' come out.The bract makes me think bromeliad, but the plant itself is definitely not one.The shape of the plant reminds me of a young, tropical (non-perennial in my area) hibiscus. The lady who sold it called it a pinecone plant and said it roots very easily.Please help!

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 19th 6:46 PM
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2001
5:18 PM

Post #84340

How about Justicia Carnea? Here's a URL for a picture
http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant Pages/justicia carnea.htm
SuzyS
Seale, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2001
7:21 PM

Post #84378

Boy, am I ever on the right website!! That is exactly the right plant and it also fits in with my lists of plants that can take our winter cold and summer heat and drought!And it's beautiful on top of all that! Must be my lucky day!Thanks so much Nan! If any of you know of any more plants for my "list' all of us Alabama gardeners will be so grateful.Suzy

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2001
12:23 AM

Post #84901

I have had this plant for years and it is in full bloom now, here in GA in zone 8, I have it in a large pot outside under one of my large Oaks..The GA sun will fry it, also have to take it in for the winter, I have tried 3 outside over the last few years, thought maybe it would come back from the roots. No go! So now I just move it in befor frost and then back out again..Anyone with the white one? I would love a cutting.
Larkie
SuzyS
Seale, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2001
2:38 PM

Post #85085

Thanks for the info.I probably would have killed it this winter.I'll put it under one of my oak trees,too.Do you know if it will survive in an unheated Zone 8 greenhouse?Suzy
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 22, 2001
9:54 AM

Post #85757

i had to look this up, bought mine under the name Jacobinia, another plant with too many names.
Larkie, i think i figured we are 80 miles apart. Mine died back but came back and has grown and bloomed pretty well.
i have the pink too.
arlene

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America