Sour Milk as a Beauty Treatment

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

When I was growing up my mom had a friend with a particlarly lovely skin [complexion] real peaches and cream..My mom mentioned to me one day that her friend used sour milk every night on her face before going to bed...well, this intrigued me so I started using myself, and sure enough before tooo long I had the same peaches and cream skin..
Well, over the years I would use it on and off, my skin always remained very pretty,and I got many compliments from friends and people about it..However, I did get very sick, lost a tremendous amount of weight, and got a sort of grey cast to my skin, so thought about the sour milk again just recently [ I use organic raw milk and it had gone ''off in the fridge]..The milk had separated into curds and whey so I used the curds [full cream]..and started using it again, so now my skin is back to the way it looked before and I am happy again.. I do not have any wrinkles, even tho' we are retired so I consider myself with mature skin, my girlfriends have always told me that I do not have any ''pores'' [ I do my skin is just tight] and my doc tells me that I have the skin of a 25 year old [ he was serious]...so that is what sour milk has done for me all these years... I want to mention there is very little odor, the milk was [smile] about 2 months old and was not opened until I started to use as a 'beauty' treatment.. [ I also freeze my milk until I need it being that it is raw].. You can do this with a cup of milk of course I just did not want to waste a quart !!

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

wow, that is interesting. Can we make sour milk by adding lemon or vinegar to plain regular milk?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Pebble, I cannot say no for sure, but what I do know is that milk goes thru a fermentation process [ as in making cheese] there is a chemical reaction over a period of time after the curds have separated naturally from the whey..
I do not think vinegar or lemon juice would do this naturally because of the acidity in both vinegar and lemon...There are natural amino acids, Lactose [milk sugars] complete proteins, also glucose another sugar occuring naturally in milk..Also many vitamins and minerals..Fermented milk includes acidophilis and yogurt [enzymes] proteins..There is also a certain amount of bacteria in milk which I am sure helps this process along [ the fermentation] Altho I do not know this for sure, I would imagine all of this working together inside the body, would be very nourishing to the skin also..I do know that the acid in the milk is most important. Possibly there is another member who could give could give you a better explanation of the fermentation process, even a chemical analysis, I just know that milk is almost a perfect food, and with all of the bacteria, enzymes, acid and milk sugars, it could all work together with the skins own bacteria.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps If i remember correctly didn't Cleopatra [or someone quite famous] bathe in milk..have no idea if it were sour or not, but it is the sour milk that has to be used !!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

You know all that talk about AHA (alpha-hydroxy acids)? Well, the acids were fruit acids. So it works the same way as it worked when our grandmas put lemon juice on their "liver spots" and other skin discolorations. It also tightens the skin. I used some for awhile on a large discolored spot on my cheekbone near my temple. It was about the size of a quarter. One day, I noticed it was all wrinkly. About 2 days after that it peeled off like I had a sunburn that peeled.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

This is true what you say, but the sour milk is very gentle, the cream in it acts as an emolliant almost like a moisturizer...It does not harm or irritate the skin in any way...I wake up pink cheeked...but like everything natural you have to give it time...will not work overnight !!!
ps I also used to drink freshly squeezed lemon juice [ about a couple of teaspoons] in warm water [full glass] every morning, never even had a blemish..it really clears up the skin if you have a problem skin..

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh, I agree the sour cream/milk would keep the skin soft and smooth, too. Just wanted to add the stuff about AHA. By the way, that Shea butter is pretty good too.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

You are right again, I think i have used it all [smile] but way back we used so much natural stuff, really did not get into all the chemical preparations that they use now..another thing I used was coco-butter..but it gets so darned solid unless mixed with something else....

Mesilla Park, NM

peterson89,
this is so interesting. My grandmother used to use ponds to wash her face, never any water, just a tissue and ponds. She died at age 92 with no wrinkles on her face. The rest of her body did wrinkle.

Anyway, I really wanted to ask you if I got this straight. Buy a quart of milk, let it sit for a couple of months, then rub the curds on my skin.

I have a question, how do you keep it from getting onto your pillow, etc.. there is a cream that I use for sun spots and have to use a towel wrapped ovet my pillow when I do use it so that it won't stain the pillowcase and try not to move at night. And one more question, does your husband mind the smell?

Also, do you rub it on, or leave a thick coat on. I would love to try this..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Gourd, first of all if possible buy raw natural milk [from health food store] this is pure and nothing added to it or taken away...also is not homogenized and pasteurized etc.,] so you are getting raw milk with all of the natural enzymes, etc.,
You can leave it in your fridge to naturally ferment you will see the curds rising to the top and the whey [ like watery liquid] is underneath... you can use the 'sour milk' earlier but I prefer to wait for the curds as it is thicker and you do not need as much..
The odor is really not bad, however, if you want you could buy a good quality [organic] oil or lotion from health food store [a mild one perfumed with natural oil] and you could use small amount of this first on your face/neck, this should remove any 'smell' that the sour milk/cream leaves, to me it just smells like natural yogurt [ which I guess it almost is]
I think yogurt is made a little differently..it certainly is not strong like cheese..I can hardly detect any odor, once it is on the skin it 'disappears' into the skin as you sleep, so I do not think you would need a towel, you can also masage it first...[ when you wake up its all gone,at least that is what I find]..I have never heard my hubby complain and its been 46 yrs..
As long as you keep it in the frige [ tightly screwed cap] it should keep for a long time..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps forgot to mention, I too used ponds cold cream for years also nivea..nivea too has a very good reputation as creams go...

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

can u use yogurt as a cream on your face?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

you know that thought has gone thru my mind as yogurt is so healthy, but I wonder if it would be too thin ? if you allow the milk to sour and curdle properly it is very thick and goes on your skin like cream...yogurt will be thinner, also the heat from your skin will cause it to break down and become thin..I looked up the defination of yogurt and it states..It is originally from Turkey..it has two types of bacteria added to it which causes it to ferment..during this time bacteria changes milk sugar into a syrupy substance called lactic acid, lactic acid causes fluid milk to thicken resulting in yogurt...I recently purchased some packets of Kefir starter [ to make at home] this is even more beneficial than yogurt..but am not sure if I would want to use it the same way..you will get some benefits, I just don't think you would be as pleased with the final results...[ also I believe part of the starter in Kefir is yeast, possibly some in Yogurt too] ? I just don't think you could get it to stay on your skin long enough [would be great otherwise and would not have to go thru the sour milk stages]...not sure either if you could use sour yogurt..it is already sour ?? If you want to try it you could let us know what you think..I always buy ''brown cow yogurt' which is a naturally [organic] brand..however, it does not have the same consistancy as the naturally fermented sour milk/cream..

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

What about Cottage Cheese will work?

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi, I have to try this, you say you can keep it for a long time in the fridge but how long is a long time, after a period of time do you have to throw it out and start the process again. Also if you use this at night what do you use on your face during the day.

Thanks,
Vi

RedRose,I thought about cottage cheese,too-I wonder if it would do the same thing as the curds in sour milk?

Mesilla Park, NM

peterson89, thank you.. I will go buy some tomorrow, I know where there is a health food store that sells vitamins, etc. I don't know if they sell milk. I will let you know when I get it. The hard part is going to be the waiting for it to curd. lol. I can hardly wait. I used baby oil on my skin since I was in highschool, after every bath, I rubbed it on all over, except my face (my mistake)... after having two children and gaining over 50 lbs. with each one, I got NO stretch marks whatsoever. either time. But, I neglected my face, and I don't think I can catch up. But if it helps to restore some moisture, that would be fantastic.

HAppy Thanksgiving to all of you.. Antoinette

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi Antoinette [ pretty name]..HAPPY THANKSGIVING back to you and everyone..[just taking time from gobble gobble cooking]
I too used baby oil before and after my two children and like you not one stretch mark..
We have many health food stores here [San
Diego area] so are really thankful [like supermarkets]..very convenient also...hope you can find what you need...When I say you can keep for a long time, possibly several months, when you think of the cost of milk as compared to buying cosmetics, I think this is really worth a try...
Ck and Redrose no, cottage cheese will not work...too crumbly..you see the 'fat' in the curds breaks down as soon as you massage it into your skin, in fact, the curds are so soft that they are like thick cream and slowly sink into the skin when left on, I have none left on my face when I wake up after a few hours...
Stretchworth, you should start another bottle of 'sour milk' a month or so after you start using the first one, this way you have another bottle ready when you have to throw the other away.. one thing about using sour milk it can't go any more sour on you but it may break down with age eventually [ make sure to keep refrigerated] I have noticed a difference again since I started using, my hubby is telling me how well I look [ and I am still sick] I never mentioned what I am doing [again] not that he would remember [smile]....enjoy your day !

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

ps one of these days I will post a picture ..[before I got sick] would not want to depress anyone, not that I really have pics over the past 5 yrs...[since my illness]
still need to find out how to use my lap top..my webtv is so convenient but it can't be used for doing a lot of web things..my son will help me figure out... cheers,marion

Marion,I hope you will be well very soon-will keep you in my prayers.
Colie

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

pps Vi, I use natural [organic] cosmetics from the health food store, or the places where I buy my vits and minerals..one of them is from Natron [probiotic face cream] another is Noni naturals [Bioinovations] another good oil is from Seagate [here in San Diego]..

from the health f.stores..Aubrey cosmetics...[I have not used comsmetics for past 4 years,been so allergic to everything] can now use creams and lotions again..still cannot tolerate lipstick !! my new one is Dr.Hauschka [skin care] from Germany..have not tried this yet.. but came with a lot of good recommendations..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Antoinette, just thought of something..as I cannot shop and hubby brings home the groceries, I would often just order the raw milk and have it delivered [ overnight mail] it does cost more of course, but you would only need to do it very infrequently if you want to try this...can give you particulars..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

CK [Colie] thank you will keep you in my prayers too, hope you are having a lovely Thanksgiving day and you feel better soon...marion

Mesilla Park, NM

oh, that sounds great, also thank you for the compliment. We have a Trader Joes in Riverside that may have some. Tomorrow I will check the one GNC store I have seen here, I hope they have more than vitamins for sale. Do you think Trader Joe's carries health foods? I too was wondering about when to buy another quart, so, one month after the first one, we replenish it. That is good to know, I was going to get two at one time.

We have company from Portersville, CA for the weekend, so I may just take my niece with me shopping. Is there a certain Brand name for the milk? My husband is going to check trader joes for me tomorrow as he works in Riverside near there. Thank you so very much for alll the information you are giving us. Antoinette

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Almost sure Trader Joes should carry it..but if not [ you could call first ] the nearest place I can think of is Escondido, there is a great market there [ I used to shop ours in Del Mar] JIMBO'S they have exactly what you need, hope not too far for you to travel..our son used to work in Riverside [ from Murietta], but an extra journey to Escondido for you.....marion [ let me know how you do]

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

I still have milk in my freezer..
Organic Pastures Dairy, Fresno, CA
organicpastures.com

Mesilla Park, NM

gosh, they have great nurseries in that area.. you are close to heaven..I just love it there. If it is the milk right out of the cow, I think I know which curd you are talking about, my grandmother used to make her own cottage cheese with some pills that she put into the milk. I just do not remember the details too much or exactly what she did, but, it reminded me of white jello, because the milk (to me) seemed to gel, then she would sprinkle a little sugar on the top of it. That was on a farm in Northern New Mexico about 45 years ago, I am 51 now, but I must have been about 4/5/6 years old at the time.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow. Hopefully I will find some locally and quick..

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Antoinette, was just thinking of a short cut for you and this would work but not quite the same, you could leave a glass of milk out in your kitchen, let it go sour over several days [cover loosely], and try this..it would not separate and have the curds and whey at this point, so you would be using it whole.. sour milk/cream, and possibly it may not smell that good, but after it goes sour you could put in a jar [covered in your fridge]..the fermentation would take place and eventually it will separate..It also would be thinner at first [curds are thick and creamy] but it will have the same effect really..and it will thicken..just a thought you may want to try...

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Could I buy just natural milk from the cow? I see many many cows being walked here - really, like dogs, this is a little city we live in, but there are pockets of areas where there are sitll old houses with villagers living in them, and they often have a couple of cows, goats, sheep chickens etc., and they move them around town for greener pastures, well, i wouldnt call them green pastures, not after seeing the green pastures in the states, but they get moved anyway, one day in the summer I got ready to leave my house, and in the doorway of our courtyard was a cow, just laying there, it was tied up to a branch, it stayed for 2 days, then she was gone.
but I imagine I could buy fresh milk from the villagers that hasnt been pasteuized and let it go sour.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Of course you could pebble, just think of all of the centuries that people from your part of the world have been doing this...its a shame we have lost so much in our cultures...am sure it would be fine as long as you keep the top loosely covered..do you have refrigeration ? [excuse my ignorance ] How is your weather?..is it cold enough to keep the milk cool, as otherwise if warm it will really go off quickly I should imagine [ as in going rancid fairly quickly] but it should work..why don't you experiment with it...I would be very interested to find out what happens...
ps Turkey and the neighboring countries originated yogurt thats how we all got ours...

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Ok how many time a day to use?

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Redrose, this is used to work overnight whileyou are sleeping however, I don't see why you could not use during the day.......
I have not mentioned before that the skin must be very clean first [figured all would know that]... let us know how you make out..
[I have also mentioned earlier that as the curds form they become thick and it does not run]....m

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Not for me this for
my mom want to know about it.

Mesilla Park, NM

Marion,
I haven't gotten mine yet. Will get out there is week, caught some kind of virus and was sick this weekend. A

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Antoinette, so sorry to hear that, feel better soon, this is the time of year... bbrrrhhh!!!
we went down to 28* last night...freezing..have to keep warm in this weather.. real chilly nights!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Us too, we got frost last night, all the cannas turned brown, bananas, and brugs, all froze. Mostly leaf and stem freeze. Got hubby to check out Trader Joes tonight after work, will let you know if he finds it. It was so cold, I did not get out of bed yesterday at all. My bones hurt so much, I thought something was eating me alive, and could not get warm no matter what. Today is much better and now I am playing catch up.

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Glad to hear yu are feeling better today..not fun being sick, our health is so important..
was very happy to see my bananas had not frozen, real strange, but must get them in tonight [ they are small in pots] do not think they will survive these chilly temps.. this morning the glass on our sunroom was covered with thick frost..we never get it this early..
I was using my 'curds' last night, they are so thick now, they just blend right in..was trying to figure out how strong the odor was, and it really isn't, but I am used to it..but not I think that anyone would notice...[my skin is dry in the mornings so no mess]
ps remind hubbies not to THROW AWAY !! mine almost did! :ŤO

Mesilla Park, NM

Well, Trader Joe's doesn't have it.. will try another place tomorrow.

edited to add: it is already 34 degrees in my patio, it will be a cold one tonight. Moved as many plants inside that I could.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2004 8:16 PM

El Cajon, CA(Zone 10a)

Possibly may find something listed in the phone book...I think you need the freshness of the raw milk for it to work properly...
Really getting cold here, cold day and even colder night...bubble wrapped some of my plants in tubs, would hate to lose them but not enough room to bring them inside...will have to get organised..this is a surprise..so early..
I can give you the name of that dairy that sends milk to me...keep in mind that it will last a long time so initial expense for overnight mail does not cost that much..[ and it is so very fresh]..hope you can find...marion

(Zone 5b)

Sorry I don't have time now to read all the interesting replies so excuse me if I'm repeating anything here, but using sour milk seems like a hassle.
Can you use fresh milk or cream or plain yogurt?
We can't legally buy raw milk in Michigan (and its hard to find private parties to sell it) but I use Horizon or Organic Valley organic milk. When the kids were young we had dairy goats.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images