Photo by Melody

Brugmansias: Post for Brugmansia / Brugmansia In The Ground!!

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 2, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 18, 2001
7:08 PM

Post #84374

Brugmansia,
If living up north, I would tend to plant pot grown 4-5 month old seedlings in the ground so you can get them to bloom the first year rather than waiting 2-3 years for a bloom. I can raise a Brugmansia seedling from seed to bloom in 7-9 months in the ground and I think that anyone wanting to raise seedlings to blooming size would be best to stick them in the ground and just select the ones they liked that way. Of course, the shorter the growing season the longer one has to grow the seedlings in pots, but as long as you have a 4-5 month growing season a 2-3 ft seedlings should have plenty of time to get tall enough to bloom. Primarily a good shortcut for those who have a lot of seedlings and don't want to wait several years for a bloom. You can always set seed on the pot grown plants or take cuttings etc...or for that matter just dig up the plants in the ground before winter comes. So far, it appears that my Dr.Sues is going to be throwing out at least one hybrid seedling with a bit of promise. I have nice Dr.Sues x Ecuador pink that is about to bloom. The calyx is extremely velvety and crescent shaped. So, at least at this moment it definitly looks like a versicolor hybrid as far as the calyx is concerned. I am hoping for a bit longer tendrils, more fragrance, and a dark pink-dark peach color with that one. Can't wait to see though. Lots of whites from the Frosty pink hybrids so I don't think I will be hybridizing with the frosty pink again. Ever the rambler,
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America