cat litter

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

once upon a time there was this unemployed guy with 4 cats who had a new farmers market stand that is not turning a profit yet and was away for 4 days a week . But befor he was unemployed he found this great cat litter called "swheat scoop". but it was to expensive. then he saw this stuff next to it on the shelf made out of corn but it was even more expensive. so he got an idea, he would go the the feed store ans see if they had somethng simmiler. so he put on his shoes and got his keys and off to he went. when he got ther he told them what he wanted but they did not have any thing made from corn or wheat that was ground up and formed into pellets. what they did have was fine cracked corn and he asked how much it was. They said $7.35 for a 50# bag and he said what the heck that is not to much might as well give it a try. so he bought a bag and brought it home and bumped it into a 40 gal rubber maid storage containier. when he comes home mon. or tues. he scoops out all the used stuff. (well most anyway since it does not clump that well) and throws it into the compost pile! well that was 5 weeks ago and he is still on the same 50# bag and it has not smelled till this week when he forgot to clean it last wed. befor he left for the weekend. and they track it a bit but a broom and dust pan takes care of that
THE END

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Cool!!

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

i have a better idea...
cheaper too

we throw the cats outside.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

To Cold to do that.Jody

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hmmmm, I wonder if the alfalfa pellets from the feed store would work (they would be asorbent, and about the same price), or if my cat would want to eat them, LOL.

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

It may not be such a good thing to throw it in the compost bin. http://gardening.wsu.edu/stewardship/compost/petpoop.htm

note the end of the web address when you get there ;-}

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

We keep are cat in a container in the cabinet.

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

the cats NEVER go outside and have never been outside i also worm them about ones a year in case they get worms from fleas. also the compost bin usually takes a few years to get full them i start on the next one which takes a few years to fill. then i start on the next one that takles a few years to fill after that any thing alive in the first one would have wiped out the human population by now if it was that dangerous

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

wow... our compost pile has never been fulla cats.
make good dirt?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the tip. I may try this one. I throw our used clay based litter into the mudholes in our driveway along with any old drywall pieces I can get ahold of. So far I have filled several small muddy places and am working on some larger ones. If I use the corn idea the chickens will likely pick thru it and eat the corn so it certainly won't go to waste!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Drywall? Does it break down and blend in with the driveway eventually?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, GW, the dry wall eventually breaks down and blends in with the mud then sets up nice and hard in the end. It is mostly gypsum so that is organic. Also in plentyful supply in building season. Just watch for nails in it. They will be hard on your tires.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'll be darned, never knew that. Back when I boarded my horse years back, there were some bad low areas that would pool water - wish I'd known about that back then.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

We have been using the alfalfa pellets for a week now and the cats seem to have adjusted just fine. Tho next time I may opt for alfalfa meal if it is available. I will dump the litterboxes directly onto the raised beds and flower plots. Cats using soil in the garden to relieve themselves is so natural I don't get concerned about it. Only if they dig up plants in the process.

EvaMae... the cats are fine with alfalfa pellets in the litter box? Just alfalfa pellets, or mixed with regular litter?

50 pounds of alfalfa pellets is much cheaper than an 8 pound box of litter!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I would think the meal would track pretty badly. Tracking is such a huge issue in our house because it's so small; there are few places we can put the litterbox, and we ended up making an area in the bottom of our pantry, cutting a hole in the pantry door (the cats can't get up into the upper part of the closet). BUT, litter tracks out the door onto the kitchen floor and I'm forever sweeping it up. I'd kill for a litter that didn't track!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we have used floor dry from out in the garageshop! works great but dh needs it for his oil spills and is always asking where it all went! ;)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I'd love a cat litter that didn't track also. There's 6 rooms between the litter box and our bedroom, but the clumping litter that we use gets stuck between his toes and we find it in our bedroom and master bath. Ugg!!!

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

the corn stuff does track but you can fix that by putting a few feet of that artificial grass carpet stuff if front of the box

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

There are two kinds of cats: Creepers and Leapers. Creepers step neatly out of the box and walk away. Leapers fly out of the box in a leap and go on their merry way. Higgins is a leaper, scattering litter as he flies...No chance for his paws to touch any kind of astroturf or other matting. :P

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I haven't noticed any tracking at all and they use to leave litter all over the place. I don't use liners at all. We have both creepers and leapers in our 5 cats. There is some meal in the bags of pellets and that seems to clump somewhat. So far we have been impressed by the lack of odor too.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I may try this once Higgins is over whatever bladder problem he has. The vet sent a sample out for culture yesterday. I don't want to change anything while we're getting his physical problem remedied. We're using Feliway for the behavior modification / emotional part of his marking.

We did get a little tray with a plastic grid on it for outside the box. There is much less tracking since putting it down -- the litter falls down through the grid into the tray, where it can be dumped back out through a little funnel on the side. I just looked it up -- it's called the Litter Welcome Mat. http://www.litterwelcomemat.com/litterwelcomemat/Images/Images.html

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Alfalfa Meal is powdery fine and gets into the air real bad and all over anything else.

I would never use it in the house or near any breathing creature * Cough ! Cough! *

Even when I use it in the garden I need to be carefull measureing it

I tried pelleted sawdust for a while.

Took 2 weeks to switch the cats over and after all that I found that it was a big pain in the butt to clean.

Had to cut every other tine out of the KL scooper.

Even then , the best way was to pick up with a paper towel. That got old real quick.

Good things were ......
You could flush it
It did not smell
Only 2 inches in the KL box was enough
after a week or so it had expanded to a KL box half full
still no odor
and since all the poopies were taken out
The rest could be used in the compost or as mulch.

I found the best deal where I buy my pine shavings for the horse barn,
They actually try to sell it for horse bedding ??? LOL
But cheap $$$ per 40 lb bag. About the same $$$ as 4 lb. bags sold at Walmart for KL.

''Now you know the rest of the story"

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I use hartz litter from the dollar tree and change it every monday before garbage day on tuesday . it seems cheaper to me 4 bucks a month but I only have one cat.

Today, I bought a 50 pound bag of alfalfa pellets to try for my cat, $8.40 with tax. I mixed it with the clumping litter for starts, will see how she likes it/uses it.

I can always use the alfalfa next year in my gardens if it doesn't work for cat litter.

You have my undivided attention on this subject Darius !
=)

I shall report in as soon as I have something to report, LOL.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I feed my rabbit pellets to the dogs and cats so they do not eat grass and barf. I have two rabbits, so I do not have to buy it just for them. They follow me to the rabbit cages in the warm weather and I just toss some into the lawn and they hunt for it.

Well, I'm hoping my cat won't eat it, and just consider it litter.

I spilled about half a pound out on the driveway. Be intrested to see if it's still there tomorrow, and what it might attract here close to the woods if it's not.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Windy -- I tried growing cat grass (oats) for Frankie our cat instead of having her eat back yard grass and barf. The oats are easier on the system and doesn't stick to the back of the tongue. ACKKKK!
She can graze on her big pot of oats and I have more seeds when this one looks like it is over-grazed.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

soozer that is pretty cool

This message was edited Dec 15, 2004 11:05 AM

San Clemente, CA(Zone 10a)

Ok the price of cat litter is way too high. I am gonna try the alfalfa pellets and then put them in the veggie garden, my indoor cats a creeper lol.

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Interesting thread. Any reports??? I've been using a corn mealish- type KL, I don't like the clays because I have dogs that get in the litter box and I end up with drool/clay mix all over the place. Gross.

Cats are happy with the corn mealy stuff, but it's expensive.

Saint David, AZ(Zone 8a)

You might want to check out the link the WSE about using cat or dog feces in the garden before putting this in your vegetable garden. Maybe compost it for the flower garden, but I sure wouldn't want it in my vegie garden.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree, interesting thread to read. Cats here go out but when the soil is wet, none of them want to soil their little claws outdoors. Always looking for a better way and would love a compostable litter. Would love to hear reports of what is working/not working. I agree, to compost for the flowers but am realistic enough to know the cats will fertilize the vegies anyway. No ill effects here....

Joan ~ suspecting your cat leaves the litter box with clenched toes just to leave litter in your bed/bathroom intentionally. Being vindictive is what a cat can do best... LOL

Olympia, WA

IMHO

- my elder cat (of 3) ended up as coyote fodder last fall as the result of a life out doors.....no more of that.

No cat feces will ever go in my garden - nada, no way.

I will pay the price of the clumping, no smell litter any day of the week if I have two nickles to rub together.

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

We switched over to wood pellets - the kind you buy for a pellet stove. We'd been using them for years for the ferrets litter boxes, but were still using the clumping litter for the cats. My husband cleans the cat boxes every day, and he decided to switch them over. He just puts a small amount in each box, enough to cover the bottom about half an inch deep, and then uses a large 6 inch wide litter scoop to sift out the pellets that have broken down (when they get wet, they break apart and then dry quickly), and scoops out the solid waste, and then puts the pellets that are still whole back in the box and adds a little extra fresh ones if needed.

No smell, and it doesn't track.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Gallesfarm ~ do you then burn the pellets? That would be the ultimate in recycling...

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

No, we don't burn them. When the cat pees on them they break down into what they were made of, which is basically sawdust. That, together with the poop, goes into the trash. If I could get a secure composter set up (that the dog couldn't get into), I might start a compost pile for the ornamental stuff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images