Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: Will catalpa grow in the south most tip of TX?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 5, 2004
11:02 PM

Post #1179741

I have been offered seeds of this tree and since we had a tree like this when I was growing up, I thought it would be nice to have one now. Does anyone know if they will grow this far south? Do they need some cold weather to grow? How about soil, can they handle the high pH or will I have to treat them like a camelia and make the soil more acid?
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2004
3:55 AM

Post #1184120

Calalily,

Are you going to grow them in Bayview or the south most tip of TX? ;->
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 12, 2004
4:05 AM

Post #1191043

Well, Bayview is pretty close to the southmost tip, only about 20-22 miles north/northeast! I thought it might help understand how far south we are, lol.
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2004
6:43 AM

Post #1191161

Well, there you have it! You learn something new everyday - if you're open to it...

I have lived in south Texas on and off for 38 years, and even worked just north of Edinburg for 3 months last year, and never knew there was a Bayview, TX down here! I thought there was only the one east of Houston.

How's that for being observant!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 12, 2004
1:45 PM

Post #1191361

I didn't know there was a Bayview east of Houston! I remember going thru Baycity down by the coast. I saw the exit for Alice when I went to San Antonio Tuesday. I couldn't remember who lived there though!
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2004
7:08 AM

Post #1192503

Next time you're going to head this way drop me an email and I'd be thrilled to meet you somewhere along your route!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2004
1:14 PM

Post #1192643

Will do! I didn't realize that Alice was between here and SA till I saw the exit. It's about 5 hours from me to SA and I saw lots of stores there that I want to go back to. We ate at the Cheesecake factory in the mall. I loved it!
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2004
7:31 PM

Post #1195949

Calla , I think they will do fine..I had two catalpus in the back yard and they always bloomed in the spring for me. I don't know the variety they were but they did ok in my area which is similar to yours. They did suffer some winter freeze damage a few yeas ago on the very tops but managed to come back ok until we cut the roots to one back when we added the outdoor aviary.

MsC
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 16, 2004
12:09 PM

Post #1196706

Thanks MsC! My daughter said she wanted some "real" trees, no more palms, lol. I think she will like the catalpa.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

December 16, 2004
12:18 PM

Post #1196718

I think the one near Houston is called "Bay City". I would've never thought a catalpa tree would grow that far south. Shows you what I know!

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2004
1:11 PM

Post #1196770

It is Baytown
dstartz
Deep South Texas, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2004
5:55 PM

Post #1197120

Within an hour or so of Houston there's a Bayview, Baytown and Bay City.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2004
8:18 AM

Post #1197910

That's too funny Calalily..."real trees".
I double checked the tree and it is indeed a catalpa listed in the plant database. They both would've survived if we hadn't damaged a major root in construction.:(
They are pretty when they flower and they drop the blooms like confetti...the blooms are almost orchid like up close and when on the tree they look kinda like popcorn, in case you haven't seen them before. It's true too, that the seed pods are a little messy but, they don't seem to sprout everywhere like some trees do.
She might like a Purple Orchid Tree, instead??
I personally don't recommend the beautiful Red Coral trees, because some varieties have pretty nasty thorns... but they will do nicely in your area also.
Good luck,
MsC

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 17, 2004
12:43 PM

Post #1198116

MsC, I remember the catalpa trees from when I was growing up, we had a big one in the front yard. I also remember the big worms that would get on it.
I have two different orchid trees. I asked her last night which trees she would like and she wants something that grows tall. She said anything except a palm tree will do! She really wants a couple more live oaks but they are a little touchy to grow here because of the salt.
I have my eye on a coral tree at a local nursery. I've got a spot on the bank that slopes to the resaca, there is a huisache bush growing there(hate those trees, they shed seeds everywhere and even the seedlings have nasty thorns). We only mow that area a couple times a year, we keep it more natural because there are lizards, birds and other critters that live along the water and we didn't want to destroy their habitat.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #1198599

That's the bad part about Texas..."big worms".
Seems every bug here is twice it's normal size...lol
They didn't seem to bother the catalpas we had, they do love the mulberry bushes though, and it's almost impossible some years to control them. we have a similar area that we let grow little wild because of all the songbirds that nest in it. It has ivies and shrub bushes that are evergreen like the camphor trees.

"Other critters"...does that include the alligator you dodge from your other posts??
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 17, 2004
8:05 PM

Post #1198617

I haven't seen the gator in over a month! I hope he's gone or somebody made shoes out of him! The other critters are little Mexican ground squirrels, TX horned toads and the little crabs that dig holes everywhere and I'm sure there are mice in that mess, but I'm not digging around in there looking for them! They've spotted two rare jaguarundi in the area, an ocelot was seen not long ago. We have possums and raccoons that come thru at night as well as an occaisonal big cat. The critters love the resaca edge. There are always ducks, egrets, herons and other water birds hanging around now that the gator is gone.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2004
6:29 PM

Post #1200755

That sounds like a pretty cool wildlife refuge to me. I'd bet you could get some incredible photos in that area.

There are a lot of areas locally, where if you want to see wildlife, you can.
I used to take my kids when they were young on day long camping trips and they learned a lot. we saw skunks with babies and racoons.Millions of songbirds and coastal shore birds during the spring/fall migrations.
I never had to contend with a gator though..lol

Maybe it's been relocated to belts & boots for Christmas presents.

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2004
12:15 AM

Post #1201120

I hope he's gone for good, but probably not my luck, lol.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2005
12:08 PM

Post #1230866

Howdy,
Are you sure you want a Catalpa??? They are known as the fishing worm tree and the worms are host to some kind of larvea attached to their backs. They are great fish bait in the rivers of Ohio.

I have been digging up Water Oak, and Live Oak seedlings that I get out with some bare roots attached since my yard is all sand. I will gladly mail either. Water Oaks have Accorns, Live Oaks don't appear to. Jacksonville is on the Atlantic, so I dont think salt is a proublem.

I grew-up with hornytoads and just love them. I sure wish I had a colony here. I'm surprised they live in Bayview. We have the little chamealeons, ( probably butchered the spelling on that,lol).
They are very good at controlling the aphids, etc.
Sidney, Texas transplant
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2005
12:22 PM

Post #1230876

We have 4 live oak trees, don't know how they will do in the long run. The big live oaks are all over in McAllen.
We had a catalpa when I was a kid, I remember the worms. I think they're a sphynx moth of some kind and the white cocoons are from the parasitic wasp that gets on them. I remember they would strip the tree, crawl all over everything.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2005
12:37 PM

Post #1230892

And you still want one(;>)???
I was just offering, and yes that parasitic wasp was it.
I bet your live oaks will do just fine.
I do miss Texas.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 10, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1231075

The flowers make up for the worms, lol, plus any tree without thorns is okay by me. I think everything down here has thorns!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2005
3:43 PM

Post #1231146

Gotcha,lol. I've been out playing with bare root roses, thorny bouganvillea, and passed a barberry or two, so I'm about thorned out today myself.
Sidney
heycharlie
San Jacinto County, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 28, 2005
6:18 AM

Post #1261655

We live about 60 miles north of Houston on Hwy 59.
The trees we have! From one big one in tha last 15 years we have 7 more we let stay.
The parasitic wasp is good. They work on tomato horn worms too.

I like the folwers, they remind me of rootbeer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America