Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

I'll try and send out a few more pictures today of other things we make, hopefully giving you a few ideas.

Thumbnail by meagert
Plano, TX

HOW BEAUTIFUL...I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ONE OF THOSE IN MY COUNTRY COTTAGE GARDEN....

WHAT TALENT YOU HAVE!!

YES, PLEASE SEND MORE PICTURES!!

ROSE IN TEXAS

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

What a great set up you have, and what talent and imagination! Love it!!

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Very nice of you...Thank you!.....Be inspired

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! Double WOW!! You are SO talented!

Do you have a DG Store or do you sell them on e-Bay?

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Thank you Shirley. My point is to give out some ideas, but if your curious about other things, just look at my profile for a website.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Just took a look at your website. Lovely tuffa projects. You've got quite a set up.

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Shirley! But of course, there is no money in it as yet...occassional fairs and shows. Winter is hard for this business. It is necessary I find a job to pay my bills...but I can work this stuff part time I guess. (sorry...feeling low today...lol)

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautifull Work!
I really enjoy your Tufa works.

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

I love hearin' that stuff.....lol

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

That fountain is gorgeous! Are all of the things in your Gallery hypertufa or are you also a potter? I am truly inspired. (I should be almost finished with a hypertufa project (my first effort) but, instead, have a bag of mortar mix sitting around instead of the portland I needed (DH's shopping error) I hope to get back to the store soon and get started, especially after seeing your lovely work.
Michele

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks again. We started out as ceramic potters...this stuff sold better, because we're in the middle of NC, and there are just too many potters here.
You can actually use the mortar mix no problem.

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow, I just started to read up on this stuff, that is beautiful...

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow again! Thanks. Never expected these forum threads to pop back up again. Sorry to all those who have already seen them, but I am enjoying the pats on the back today...I needed them!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Ah ha..... Nice stuff! What are your 'pick up' prices? LOL!!!

Hopefully you will be on DG for a while because eventually I can see myself buying a couple of those beauties! You should should come to the GA roundup!

Nicole

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Every one who shows up at the house gets a break, and a cup of coffee...lol

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow!! Absolutely gorgeous. Would love to have some talent but I must rely on others like you. Off to check your profile. :-)
Terrie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the advice on the mortar mix. I'm getting started.
Michele

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks all again. Here's one we're working on

Thumbnail by meagert
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I like that! You should come to the GA Round up! Check out the Round up threads - April 23rd is the date! Good exposure for you I would think!

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

pardon my iggorance.... whats the GA?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Georgia! It's in Jackson Georgia. I've never been to one myself but it's a gathering of DG folks for food, plant/craft swaps, general fun! I can't wait! The round up forum has a sign up thread, and another thread that lists lodging, etc. It should be fun!

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

oh!...
sorry I won't be able to make it. out of work donchaknow. But I'll keep an eye out for it, and try to get the recaps on the Forums.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry! Just went through that with my DH myself.

I keep asking people if they want to ride down with me but nobody wants to! It's just going to be me and my dog though if you change your mind! Your welcome to ride with us!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

What kind of mold do you use to get the half round shape?

Thanks, Deb

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

we use any bowls that strike our fancy....find them in target/walmart etc.
we use two methods to shape..
1. pack the bowl full...scoop out the middle
2. just layer in the depth we want...

we shape and pound, smooth with a trowel

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Meagert, Do you scoop out the middle, right after you have packed it in the bowl?

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Meganart,
Great job on those!! I too am wondering how long you wait to scoop out the excess. How in the world did you make the base and center part? I'd love to try something like this. Thanks, Suzi :)

Sanford, NC(Zone 8a)

We scoop the middle out after 4-5 minutes...that gives the mix a little time to set up. Your times will vary according to how wet you make the mix. If the mix is just right,,not too wet, you can just pack against the sides of the mold (bowl) to the right thickness (our standard is about an inch and a quarter thick wall). The base was made from a square old (square mesh nursery container). Fill it up, level the top, scoop out the center, and using like a cookie cutter, cut out holes on all four sides to make the legs. Hope that helps

Dry Ridge, KY(Zone 6a)

WOW! I have just recently started hearing about his stuff but I never imagined anything this elaborate. I am definately inspired. Thank you.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of us from work are getting together on Sunday afternoon to make the rhubarb leaves stepping stones, tra la, tra la. (smile)

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Have fun and enjoy yourselves... we want to see pics!! ~ Suzi ♥

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm bringing the camera.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

great!! we'll be waiting! ~ Suzi ♥

Tucson, AZ

hello - i would like to make troughs that hold water. i want to make water features with aquatic plants and fish. can someone direct me to a mix that would work best for holding water in the trough? also, i heard that chemicals would have to be leached from the finished product before i could use them from plant life. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images